Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Show me a baby's formula that doesn't contain sugar. If it's not necessary, why is it there? Sugars are fast-acting carbs. Sometimes we need fast-acting.

Show me a smart diabetic who doesn't carry emergency sugar with them. If it wasn't necessary, why are there glucotabs?

I've never met a Type 2 diabetic that does carry sugar and reported incidences of hypoglycaemia in T2D are pretty rare and probably all down to certain drugs or insulin (most diabetics I know are only on Metformin. I'm more likely to meet T2Ds with a blood glucose of 10 (180 in American) than anyone worrying about hypoglycaemia.

T2Ds on a ketogenic diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633336/ and hypoglycaemia isn't mentioned, just reducing medications.

Type 1s yes I've witnessed and treated hypoglycaemia. My cousin died at 14 from inappropriate treatment of her diabetes in an emergency. Paramedics carry 5g shots of glucose. But this is like arguing that aspirin is an essential because people get headaches.

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body. Go tell the experts at the IoM that they got it wrong and carbohydrate intake is a pre-requisite for life. (Thinking about it, the sugar in formula could be there just to provide a dry sterile powder, but I don't know that).

Unless the OP is a diabetic, which I doubt, how does this even apply to the OP?

Go back and read again, jgnatca was clinging to a life raft of diabetes and infant nutrition to support an idea that sugars were in some way essential / necessary.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3900881/

The mammalian brain depends upon glucose as its main source of energy, and tight regulation of glucose metabolism is critical for brain physiology. Consistent with its critical role for physiological brain function, disruption of normal glucose metabolism as well as its interdependence with cell death pathways forms the pathophysiological basis for many brain disorders.

Doesn't say a jot about dietary sugars. People who eat no sugar are normoglycaemic.

Unless the brain has a secret passage to smuggle carbs past my bloodstream it gets the same fuel via my bloodstream as anyone else without me eating any sugar. In fact my liver is hell bent on oversupplying the stuff.

And we keep asking what's the problem with eating sugars within a balanced nutritionally sound diet if you have no medical issues

dunno, why are the WHO motivated to have a limit ? or the UK's SACN ?

I personally haven't seen a strong case that the typical ~100 g/day consumption of sugar is an issue, in fact the EU RDI is about that. Most people here eat less than that too.

There's the dental caries thing, obviously, and some weak epidemiology in a few areas but I haven't seen the smoking gun as I posted earlier. Somewhere around fatty liver and elevated triglycerides perhaps but if the sugar is consumed in a meal with appropriate dental hygiene I have never viewed it as a problem. I used to make 35 t/h of the stuff ;-)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i_4230_keanu-reeves-conspiracy-meme-002.jpg

LOL
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    OP, don't stress the sugar thing too much, especially since the majority of it is coming from whole and nutritious foods.

I have no problem with plain yogurt, but put sweetened yogurt in the treat box with ice cream due to the added sugar.

f7880980e650a9a831e9fc119162db33.png

Just for comparison, I used a cup of ice cream, although a serving is actually 1/2 cup.

17 grams of protein for 240 calories is much better than a treat, added sugar be damned. The separation is silly anyway.

Cottage cheese is a far better source of protein from dairy than sweetened yogurt:

7b84f88c8a301377c234a91a1fff14b1.png
    Again, I used a cup for comparison, although an actual serving is 1/2 cup

It also tastes absolutely disgusting if you eat it pure.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Show me a baby's formula that doesn't contain sugar. If it's not necessary, why is it there? Sugars are fast-acting carbs. Sometimes we need fast-acting.

Show me a smart diabetic who doesn't carry emergency sugar with them. If it wasn't necessary, why are there glucotabs?

I've never met a Type 2 diabetic that does carry sugar and reported incidences of hypoglycaemia in T2D are pretty rare and probably all down to certain drugs or insulin (most diabetics I know are only on Metformin. I'm more likely to meet T2Ds with a blood glucose of 10 (180 in American) than anyone worrying about hypoglycaemia.

T2Ds on a ketogenic diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633336/ and hypoglycaemia isn't mentioned, just reducing medications.

Type 1s yes I've witnessed and treated hypoglycaemia. My cousin died at 14 from inappropriate treatment of her diabetes in an emergency. Paramedics carry 5g shots of glucose. But this is like arguing that aspirin is an essential because people get headaches.

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body. Go tell the experts at the IoM that they got it wrong and carbohydrate intake is a pre-requisite for life. (Thinking about it, the sugar in formula could be there just to provide a dry sterile powder, but I don't know that).

Go back and read again, jgnatca was clinging to a life raft of diabetes and infant nutrition to support an idea that sugars were in some way essential / necessary.

The mammalian brain depends upon glucose as its main source of energy, and tight regulation of glucose metabolism is critical for brain physiology. Consistent with its critical role for physiological brain function, disruption of normal glucose metabolism as well as its interdependence with cell death pathways forms the pathophysiological basis for many brain disorders.

Doesn't say a jot about dietary sugars. People who eat no sugar are normoglycaemic.

Unless the brain has a secret passage to smuggle carbs past my bloodstream it gets the same fuel via my bloodstream as anyone else without me eating any sugar. In fact my liver is hell bent on oversupplying the stuff.

And we keep asking what's the problem with eating sugars within a balanced nutritionally sound diet if you have no medical issues

dunno, why are the WHO motivated to have a limit ? or the UK's SACN ?

I personally haven't seen a strong case that the typical ~100 g/day consumption of sugar is an issue, in fact the EU RDI is about that. Most people here eat less than that too.

There's the dental caries thing, obviously, and some weak epidemiology in a few areas but I haven't seen the smoking gun as I posted earlier. Somewhere around fatty liver and elevated triglycerides perhaps but if the sugar is consumed in a meal with appropriate dental hygiene I have never viewed it as a problem. I used to make 35 t/h of the stuff ;-)

They are very clear as to why and you should know it too because you've read the WHO report if I remember. The caries thing (which can be mostly prevented by having something called hygiene) and that foods with lots of sugar often have many calories and not much micronutrition. That's it. Nothing more and nothing less. Calories and caries.
  • stevencloser
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And again with the necessary stuff. If you wanted to only put necessary things in your mouth, multivitamin pills, a shotglass of fat and a few protein shakes made with water should be your daily food, nothing else. I've said that so often now I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Since none of you are going to eat that way, arguing you should stay away from things that aren't necessary is kind of hollow.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lowest common denominator thinking I reckon...cut sugar cut calories cut obesity
  • the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Excellent point.

5.51-sugar-ad.jpg
  • stevencloser
    Options

Excellent point.

5.51-sugar-ad.jpg

Well, insulin does start responses that supress hunger. And everyone has heard their mom tell them not to eat snacks or else they won't be able to finish dinner.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lowest common denominator thinking I reckon...cut sugar cut calories cut obesity

Yes, probably an easy goal as a "discretionary calorie". The amount of intrinsic sugars in the WHO's 5-a-day is less than 100 grams/day. There's no evidence of nutritional deficiency due to sugar consumption, people might choose to eat beige food but that's not really a sugar issue.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP, don't stress the sugar thing too much, especially since the majority of it is coming from whole and nutritious foods.

I have no problem with plain yogurt, but put sweetened yogurt in the treat box with ice cream due to the added sugar.

Just for comparison, I used a cup of ice cream, although a serving is actually 1/2 cup.

17 grams of protein for 240 calories is much better than a treat, added sugar be damned. The separation is silly anyway.

Cottage cheese is a far better source of protein from dairy than sweetened yogurt:

In the context of a diet that hits macros and micros source does not matter...Just like source of sugar does not matter in the same dietary context
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And again with the necessary stuff. If you wanted to only put necessary things in your mouth, multivitamin pills, a shotglass of fat and a few protein shakes made with water should be your daily food, nothing else. I've said that so often now I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Since none of you are going to eat that way, arguing you should stay away from things that aren't necessary is kind of hollow.

Cosign
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

dunno, why are the WHO motivated to have a limit ?

They explain it well. It's about calories and getting a diet with adequate nutrients. (And teeth, of course, which again are more affected by dental hygiene.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It also tastes absolutely disgusting if you eat it pure.

I think it's delicious, but it's silly to say it's inherently better or worse (especially without considering how much sat fat is in the kind you choose and how much added sugar or sugar in general you are consuming or what you eat it with). If someone likes greek yogurt sweetened only and eats it as a dessert or if someone only likes oatmeal with added sugar or, say, rhubarb with some added sugar, it's fundamentalism as opposed to sense to claim that the added sugar makes the food no longer good for you or worth eating. What matters is the overall diet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Sugar always generates some lively discussion here. Regardless of where your agreement lies, there's no need to insult people by calling them dumb and stupid.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Yes, probably an easy goal as a "discretionary calorie". The amount of intrinsic sugars in the WHO's 5-a-day is less than 100 grams/day. There's no evidence of nutritional deficiency due to sugar consumption, people might choose to eat beige food but that's not really a sugar issue.

So in context, you would agree that sugar isn't the devil and can be a part of a healthy diet? Realizing that people on this forum are going to make better food choices than the average person out there?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Neo could have had a lifetime of steak and wine, but he chose the gloop.

j1amg36l1242.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Neo could have had a lifetime of steak and wine, but he chose the gloop.

j1amg36l1242.jpg
    But is there sugar in the glop??
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think around half of the population seem to be ables to eat a diet with added sugars and higher carbs. The rest should eat low carbohydrate or, at the very least, moderate carbohydrates.

Insulin resistance is thought to include prediabetes, Type 2 diabetes, PCOS, NAFLD, and Alzheimer's disease as well as other possible neurological diseases (like possibly MS and Parkinson's). Roughly half of North Americans will develop one of these health problems in their lifetime, and sugar intake, along with excessive carbs and obesity, is generally thought to contribute to those problems.

I thought I could eat sugars with no problem until suddenly I couldn't. I have a good mainly friend who loves her sweets and is just slightly overweight. Now in her mid 70s she as Alzheimer's. there was no way to reduction that back in the 80s when she was eating sugars with no apparent problems. I wonder if she could have turned back time and attempted to prevent her dementia with a low sugar diet if she would have... I would have changed things for myself.

In my mind, sugar's only real benefit for the average person is that it tastes good. It as no needed micronutrients and has the potential to contribute to IR problems, never mind the act that those with a higher sugar intake are more likely to develop certain cancers, have a more difficult time beating some cancers, and are more likely to develop CAD.

IMO, the only thing going for added sugars (or a diet high in carbs) is that tastes good. Sugar is a bit of a risk for the (apparently) healthy person, IMO.