Daily goals: Sugar

Options
An apple and a greek yogurt a day and here we go - I'm past my sugar target of 48 grams (for 1550 cal/d). Is there smth wrong with the MFP recommendation for sugar?
Can I just ignore it and bite into my second apple as long as it fits with the calory goal? Do you observe your sugar intake on the basis of what MFP tells you?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to worry about sugar. I track it out of curiosity and yes the MFP recommendation is very low.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    skvortss wrote: »
    An apple and a greek yogurt a day and here we go - I'm past my sugar target of 48 grams (for 1550 cal/d). Is there smth wrong with the MFP recommendation for sugar?
    Can I just ignore it and bite into my second apple as long as it fits with the calory goal? Do you observe your sugar intake on the basis of what MFP tells you?

Swap it out for fibre

I did

Much happier
  • skvortss
    skvortss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thx, that's what I thougt))
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I got a sugar warning on grapes yesterday, I just stick to the cals and don't worry about the other stuff
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

48 grams of sugar for an apple and a Greek yogurt seems high to me. You must not be be talking about plain Greek yogurt. I don't worry about the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit and dairy, but I do pay attention to added sugar. Sugar was added to the first yogurt.

7d1ef519e9c5edbf2df2c2e60447495c.png

Unfortunately, MFP does not differentiate between naturally occurring and added sugar. But when I limit foods like sweetened yogurt and baked goods, I don't exceed MFP's sugar recommendation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you picked a huge apple and a sweetened yoghurt or something ? Should be ~58g at 1550 cals (15% of calories).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of added sugar so I don't worry about it. I eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day and quite a bit of veg...occasionally I'll have a soda or something but other than that, my only added sugar for the most part is my desert most nights.

If you're hitting 48 grams with your yogurt and an apple, I'm going to assume your yogurt has a lot of added sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

48 grams of sugar for an apple and a Greek yogurt seems high to me. You must not be be talking about plain Greek yogurt. I don't worry about the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit and dairy, but I do pay attention to added sugar. Sugar was added to the first yogurt.

Unfortunately, MFP does not differentiate between naturally occurring and added sugar. But when I limit foods like sweetened yogurt and baked goods, I don't exceed the sugar.

OP, please ignore this.

There is no difference between natural and added sugar.

the sugar in your strawberry = the sugar in a cookie
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Unfortunately, MFP does not differentiate between naturally occurring and added sugar. But when I limit foods like sweetened yogurt and baked goods, I don't exceed the sugar.

OP, please ignore this.

WHO calls on countries to reduce sugars intake among adults and children

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Read more: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP, please ignore this.

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Read more: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

so your are linking to WHO fear mongering reports?

that does not change the fact that the sugar in fruit = the sugar in the cookie….
  • ndj1979
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • kshama2001
    Options

OP, please ignore this.

that does not change the fact that the sugar in fruit = the sugar in the cookie….

I'll await your links to peer-reviewed, double blind clinical studies showing that for humans the sugar in fruit = the sugar in the cookie.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is no difference between naturally occurring and "free sugars". The chemical composition is identical. However, the WHO is recommending limiting "free sugars" in an attempt to improve health outcomes. Why distinguish? Because we don't want to discourage people from eating their fruits or drinking their milk (which come with naturally occurring sugars).

People being who they are, however, see their sugar numbers rise from eating an apple, and freak. Or wonder where the sugar came from in their skim milk. It's there. It's OK.

One can get adverse effects from naturally occurring sugars. Which is why parents are advised not to put their toddler to bed with a bottle. The milk pools in the mouth during sleep and can lead to tooth decay. Just as with "free sugars".
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP, please ignore this.

I'll await your links to peer-reviewed, double blind clinical studies showing that for humans the sugar in fruit = the sugar in the cookie.

you need a peer reviewed source to know that sugar = sugar, really?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

OP, please ignore this.

Double blind and peer reviewed :)
  • ndj1979
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OP, please ignore this.

so common sense now requires studies? Interesting…

• ndj1979
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OP, please ignore this.

so common sense now requires studies? Interesting…

if anything the one making the ridiculous claim that one form of sugar is different that another should be required to posts said studies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that just aren't done any more because there's general consensus. We don't need a peer reviewed double blind study to prove for instance, that cow's dung cannot be transmuted in to gold. The composition of gold is well-known. The composition of the various sugars is well known.

http://www.bioinfo.org.cn/book/biochemistry/chapt11/sim1.htm
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There are some studies that just aren't done any more because there's general consensus. We don't need a peer reviewed double blind study to prove for instance, that cow's dung cannot be transmuted in to gold. The composition of gold is well-known. The composition of the various sugars is well known.

http://www.bioinfo.org.cn/book/biochemistry/chapt11/sim1.htm

so alchemy is not a thing..?? You mean that I should not have paid that guy 25,000 to lean how to turn dirt into gold..????

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

that isn't strictly the case though - there are some issues with some consumption patterns at higher levels.