Options

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.
    What's sugar going to do to me about which I should consider worrying?

You?, I haven't the slightest clue. You could be one of those people who break all the science, eat garbage and your body finds a way to cope without harm. You could be a very rare bird with a special formula that works just for you.

Lol so anyone that consumes sugar now has a garbage diet???

Way to generalize

Nice, I did not equate it, you did. I was thinking about literal garbage.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.

You?, I haven't the slightest clue. You could be one of those people who break all the science, eat garbage and your body finds a way to cope without harm. You could be a very rare bird with a special formula that works just for you.

Lol so anyone that consumes sugar now has a garbage diet???

Way to generalize

Nice, I did not equate it, you did. I was thinking about literal garbage.

Suuuuurrrreeeee
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Show me a baby's formula that doesn't contain sugar. If it's not necessary, why is it there? Sugars are fast-acting carbs. Sometimes we need fast-acting.

Show me a smart diabetic who doesn't carry emergency sugar with them. If it wasn't necessary, why are there glucotabs?

I've never met a Type 2 diabetic that does carry sugar and reported incidences of hypoglycaemia in T2D are pretty rare and probably all down to certain drugs or insulin (most diabetics I know are only on Metformin. I'm more likely to meet T2Ds with a blood glucose of 10 (180 in American) than anyone worrying about hypoglycaemia.

T2Ds on a ketogenic diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633336/ and hypoglycaemia isn't mentioned, just reducing medications.

Type 1s yes I've witnessed and treated hypoglycaemia. My cousin died at 14 from inappropriate treatment of her diabetes in an emergency. Paramedics carry 5g shots of glucose. But this is like arguing that aspirin is an essential because people get headaches.

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body. Go tell the experts at the IoM that they got it wrong and carbohydrate intake is a pre-requisite for life. (Thinking about it, the sugar in formula could be there just to provide a dry sterile powder, but I don't know that).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body.
    So it's just a matter of happenstance that breast milk is sugary? The sugar's in the milk just because it was conveniently there to be used?

• umayster
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

Sugar is fun to eat, don' mistake it for necessary.

So you imply that sugar causes medical conditions?

I could understand that a diet lacking in nutrients or exceeding in calories would..but your first sentence is in direct opposition to you second

It's the lack of nutritional balance that leads to issues

Necessary for diabetics and babies. Sometimes life-saving even. There's a reason there are sugars in mother's milk.

Context matters. Excess or added sugars are unnecessary and can be detrimental to nutritional and metabolic health and weight goals. Do you really want to take a position on the other side of that?

Yes

My contention would be, as someone without a medical condition that contraindicates sugar consumption that if I meet my macro and micro nutritional requirements I can fill the rest of my calorie allowance with cotton candy or tablespoons of granulated sugar if I wish with no health detriment (beyond potential dental)

That is a fine contention. You test it and report back when you are 80.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

DeguelloTex: What's sugar going to do to me?

You: Dunno, you could be someone who can "eat garbage" without harm.

Thus, you have just equated eating sugar -- including the sugar in the apple the OP asked about -- with eating garbage.

Wish that wasn't so typical of these discussions, but it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Thus, you have just equated eating sugar -- including the sugar in the apple the OP asked about -- with eating garbage.

Consign

Their only argument is sugar is bad and eventually you will die ....thus, it should be avoided.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why Doesn't Baby Formula List Sugar Content?
    NBC Chicago hires Deibel Laboratories to measure sugar content in seven popular brands of formula

...In Europe, concern over childhood obesity led to a ban on sucrose in baby formula. Dozens of countries do not allow the kind of sugar we found in the two Similac brands.

We shared our results with Chicago pediatric dentist Kevin Boyd, who also has a Masters in nutrition and dietetics. Boyd said he has long been concerned about the sweetness of formula and the effect it has on babies.

"We're conditioning them to crave sweetness," Boyd said. "I would say any formula that has sucrose, it’s super sweet, it makes the kid crave sugar. It triggers the release of dopamine in the brain, and it’s a comfort-level thing. It makes the kid want to eat more, so they become hypersensitive to sweetness."

While the amounts of sugar grams may be low, Boyd said the impact on babies is huge.

"They're conditioned to just really like super sweet…. And their fat cells are saying more, more, more please."
    He said some of the formulas are so sweet -- he calls them "baby milkshakes" -- and believes they may play a role in our country’s battle with childhood obesity.

"If a child makes too many fat cells, they never go away. And they always want to be fed," he said.

Read more: http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/target-5-sugar-baby-formula-139339308.html#ixzz3siMGw0MR

See also http://www.drgreene.com/should-infant-formula-be-sweetened-mother-nature-knows-best/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anyway, to add my two cents, OP, if you are hitting your calorie, protein, and fat numbers, and also getting adequate fiber, it is vanishingly unlikely that you are eating a diet that provides excessive sugar. As I see it, excessive sugar isn't an issue unless it means you aren't getting other things you need, are overconsuming calories, or aren't eating a diet with a good amount of nutrient dense foods (i.e., cake instead of fruit and veg and protein).

Thus, looking at those other things is usually a better guide than MFP's sugar goal, so like others said I'd switch sugar for fiber. And if you read the WHO recommendation carefully, it's based on the same principles and doesn't give additional reasons to limit added sugar (except dental issues, which shouldn't be an issue in a country with decent dental care if you, you know, use dental hygiene).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body.
    So it's just a matter of happenstance that breast milk is sugary? The sugar's in the milk just because it was conveniently there to be used?

Or that glucose is needed for cognitive function

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/Glucose-mental-performance/
    "Conclusion
    The brain is a highly active organ that relies on glucose for fuel. Glucose comes either directly from carbohydrate-containing foods and drinks, or is produced by the body from non-carbohydrate sources. Keeping blood sugar levels at an optimal level appears to be helpful for maintaining good cognitive function, particularly for more mentally demanding tasks. Consuming regular meals may be a useful way of achieving this. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC303532/
  • umayster
    Options

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Hmm. I've done my research. Start reading.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Show me a baby's formula that doesn't contain sugar. If it's not necessary, why is it there? Sugars are fast-acting carbs. Sometimes we need fast-acting.

Show me a smart diabetic who doesn't carry emergency sugar with them. If it wasn't necessary, why are there glucotabs?

I've never met a Type 2 diabetic that does carry sugar and reported incidences of hypoglycaemia in T2D are pretty rare and probably all down to certain drugs or insulin (most diabetics I know are only on Metformin. I'm more likely to meet T2Ds with a blood glucose of 10 (180 in American) than anyone worrying about hypoglycaemia.

T2Ds on a ketogenic diet http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633336/ and hypoglycaemia isn't mentioned, just reducing medications.

Type 1s yes I've witnessed and treated hypoglycaemia. My cousin died at 14 from inappropriate treatment of her diabetes in an emergency. Paramedics carry 5g shots of glucose. But this is like arguing that aspirin is an essential because people get headaches.

Why does baby "formula" exist ? no idea, infant nutrition isn't my thing. The question about necessity requires evidence that a baby has to have sugary milk, rather than it being a convenient circulating substrate in the mothers body. Go tell the experts at the IoM that they got it wrong and carbohydrate intake is a pre-requisite for life. (Thinking about it, the sugar in formula could be there just to provide a dry sterile powder, but I don't know that).

Unless the OP is a diabetic, which I doubt, how does this even apply to the OP? More than likely, it has no baring on the OP. On top of that, no one is promoting a diet high in sugar but rather a balanced diet, that does include sugar. In fact, the majority of the sugar in the OP's diet is natural and even when it's not it's accompanied by protein and fats.

Quite frankly, these sugar argues are overly pedantic and pretty much just nonsense at this point.
  • psuLemon
    Options

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Show me one medical condition that specifically states that sugar causes that medical condition... I am talking causation, not correlation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sugar is naturally in mother's milk; both cows and human. It's in the formula because it's in the natural formulation as well.

One can walk to the store along the broad and safe path or along the cliff's edge and both routes will take you to your destination. One could say that the broad and safe path is not necessary. That' doesn't mean you can safely get rid of it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OP, don't stress the sugar thing too much, especially since the majority of it is coming from whole and nutritious foods.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

And now we reach the inevitable "I know, but I'm not going to tell you" portion of our program.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3586783/table/T1/

About 7.4 g/dL of lactose in human milk. @kshama2001 that article is speaking about replacing the lactose with sucrose and the possible implications. No baby formula would remove all the sugars.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP, don't stress the sugar thing too much, especially since the majority of it is coming from whole and nutritious foods.

I have no problem with plain yogurt, but put sweetened yogurt in the treat box with ice cream due to the added sugar.

f7880980e650a9a831e9fc119162db33.png

Just for comparison, I used a cup of ice cream, although a serving is actually 1/2 cup.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3586783/table/T1/

About 7.4 g/dL of lactose in human milk. @kshama2001 that article is speaking about replacing the lactose with sucrose and the possible implications. No baby formula would remove all the sugars.

Ya, I edited my reply to include a link to an article that talks about the lactose in breast milk :)
  • umayster
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Op was told not to worry about sugar numbers based on y'all's anecdotal experiences. DT tried to turn it into what sugar was going to do to him. I don't care that you all have no issues with sugar, it is about general sugar concerns. I attempted to point this out.

OP really doesn't need to hear your personal lack of sugar worries projected onto his surpassing mfps suggested limits. Chances are since OP is on mfp monitoring, is asking about sugar limits and eating over mfps limit that maybe they could use some help in the other direction of sugar consumption?