Daily goals: Sugar

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP, don't stress the sugar thing too much, especially since the majority of it is coming from whole and nutritious foods.

I have no problem with plain yogurt, but put sweetened yogurt in the treat box with ice cream due to the added sugar.

f7880980e650a9a831e9fc119162db33.png

Just for comparison, I used a cup of ice cream, although a serving is actually 1/2 cup.

17 grams of protein for 240 calories is much better than a treat, added sugar be damned. The separation is silly anyway.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

Sugar is fun to eat, don' mistake it for necessary.

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Hmm. I've done my research. Start reading.

so its my job to figure out what claims you are trying to make?

sorry, does not work that way. If you want to make ridiculous claims then back them up with said research/literature.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.
    What's sugar going to do to me about which I should consider worrying?

You?, I haven't the slightest clue. You could be one of those people who break all the science, eat garbage and your body finds a way to cope without harm. You could be a very rare bird with a special formula that works just for you.

DeguelloTex: What's sugar going to do to me?

You: Dunno, you could be someone who can "eat garbage" without harm.

Thus, you have just equated eating sugar -- including the sugar in the apple the OP asked about -- with eating garbage.

Wish that wasn't so typical of these discussions, but it is.

Op was told not to worry about sugar numbers based on y'all's anecdotal experiences. DT tried to turn it into what sugar was going to do to him. I don't care that you all have no issues with sugar, it is about general sugar concerns. I attempted to point this out.

OP really doesn't need to hear your personal lack of sugar worries projected onto his surpassing mfps suggested limits. Chances are since OP is on mfp monitoring, is asking about sugar limits and eating over mfps limit that maybe they could use some help in the other direction of sugar consumption?

Are you insinuating that the OP should listen to your fear mongering of sugar vs our lack of concern for sugar as overall dietary context is more important?

Honestly and quite sadly, we all believe in similar beliefs but different approaches (LCHF vs IIFYM/Flexible). We believe in getting more whole foods, foods high in fiber and having a balanced diet. We all believe that getting foods from a variety of sources is optimal as it will allow you to get the most amount of micronutrients. And we all believe that exercise is beneficial to health and wellness.
  • stevencloser
    Options

You?, I haven't the slightest clue. You could be one of those people who break all the science, eat garbage and your body finds a way to cope without harm. You could be a very rare bird with a special formula that works just for you.

Thus, you have just equated eating sugar -- including the sugar in the apple the OP asked about -- with eating garbage.

Op was told not to worry about sugar numbers based on y'all's anecdotal experiences. DT tried to turn it into what sugar was going to do to him. I don't care that you all have no issues with sugar, it is about general sugar concerns. I attempted to point this out.

OP really doesn't need to hear your personal lack of sugar worries projected onto his surpassing mfps suggested limits. Chances are since OP is on mfp monitoring, is asking about sugar limits and eating over mfps limit that maybe they could use some help in the other direction of sugar consumption?

Yeah, just because the general public doesn't have issues with sugar doesn't mean there are no general sugar concerns. Wait.
    The fact that so many people, including diabetics, are telling you there's no need to be overly restrictive in your sugar should tell you something. Evidently it does not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Anecdotal?

You mean lack of supporting science for your sugar is to be avoided claims

Please define and source your "worries" and "concerns"

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

By "turn it into what sugar was going to do to [me]" you really mean "Asking for clarification of your statement that 'Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar'," right?

You write about some vague, ominous-sounding "something," and when asked to clarify, the asker has turned it into something else? I don't think that's how any of this works.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

So you imply that sugar causes medical conditions?

I could understand that a diet lacking in nutrients or exceeding in calories would..but your first sentence is in direct opposition to you second

It's the lack of nutritional balance that leads to issues
    jgnatca wrote: »

Necessary for diabetics and babies. Sometimes life-saving even. There's a reason there are sugars in mother's milk.

Context matters. Excess or added sugars are unnecessary and can be detrimental to nutritional and metabolic health and weight goals. Do you really want to take a position on the other side of that?

Excess protein, excess fat, even excess vitamins can be detrimental to your health. Balance of all nutrition is vital for health. But obviously you didn't say any of that. You told them to worry about sugar instead of taking care of a good balance.

OP asked about exceeding sugar limits, what are you trying to say?
  • umayster
    Options

Consign

Their only argument is sugar is bad and eventually you will die ....thus, it should be avoided.....

'Their' did not even remotely say any of that.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I could understand that a diet lacking in nutrients or exceeding in calories would..but your first sentence is in direct opposition to you second

Necessary for diabetics and babies. Sometimes life-saving even. There's a reason there are sugars in mother's milk.

Context matters. Excess or added sugars are unnecessary and can be detrimental to nutritional and metabolic health and weight goals. Do you really want to take a position on the other side of that?

Excess protein, excess fat, even excess vitamins can be detrimental to your health. Balance of all nutrition is vital for health. But obviously you didn't say any of that. You told them to worry about sugar instead of taking care of a good balance.

OP asked about exceeding sugar limits, what are you trying to say?

You know, that there's nothing to "worry" about unless you're going really REALLY overboard with it like with literally every single substance you can put into your mouth?
  • umayster
    Options

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Show me one medical condition that specifically states that sugar causes that medical condition... I am talking causation, not correlation.

No such animal exists.

Wouldn't it be cool if the science could prove causation of negative health effects in humans without hurting the humans they studied? We might be able to stop these conversations.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Show me one medical condition in rats that specifically states that sugar causes that medical condition... I am talking causation, not correlation.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Consign

Their only argument is sugar is bad and eventually you will die ....thus, it should be avoided.....

'Their' did not even remotely say any of that.

last time I checked their does not refer to a singular individual….
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It would be cooler if people didn't make stuff up to make money out of the desperate or gullible

Like toxins that require detoxes
    And sugar is the debil
    Waist cinchers
  • umayster
    Options

sorry, does not work that way. If you want to make ridiculous claims then back them up with said research/literature.

Wait, it was ridiculous claims with no science in the early replies that sucked me into this thread. When did this standard evolve?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Wait, it was ridiculous claims with no science in the early replies that sucked me into this thread. When did this standard evolve?

now you are just changing the subject…

still waiting for this supposed "research" that you have done….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes

My contention would be, as someone without a medical condition that contraindicates sugar consumption that if I meet my macro and micro nutritional requirements I can fill the rest of my calorie allowance with cotton candy or tablespoons of granulated sugar if I wish with no health detriment (beyond potential dental)

That is a fine contention. You test it and report back when you are 80.

another ridiculous spacious argument. So if someone ate a moderate amount of sugar and dies at age 80 then it must be because of sugar…

conversely, if someone was LC/HF and dies at age 79, we can then make the concussion that the LC/HF lifestyle is what lead to their untimely demise, right? Because there would be no other reason that someone would die of old age…oh wait...
  • umayster
    Options

Are you insinuating that the OP should listen to your fear mongering of sugar vs our lack of concern for sugar as overall dietary context is more important?

Honestly and quite sadly, we all believe in similar beliefs but different approaches (LCHF vs IIFYM/Flexible). We believe in getting more whole foods, foods high in fiber and having a balanced diet. We all believe that getting foods from a variety of sources is optimal as it will allow you to get the most amount of micronutrients. And we all believe that exercise is beneficial to health and wellness.

I think it's clear that OP needs to hear both perspectives and use their own brain to figure out what applies to them.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @umayster

But WHAT specifically are the issues please

I would really like to know what you think you know
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think it's clear that OP needs to hear both perspectives and use their own brain to figure out what applies to them.

what is the other perspective…sugar is bad, because you have done your "research" and say it is…?
  • umayster
    Options

Yeah, just because the general public doesn't have issues with sugar doesn't mean there are no general sugar concerns. Wait.
    The fact that so many people, including diabetics, are telling you there's no need to be overly restrictive in your sugar should tell you something. Evidently it does not.

An estimated half the US population is projected to have some level of insulin resistance. If you look at overweight and obese populations, the proportion is probably even higher here on MFP. The audience here is more likely than not to have issues with sugar/carbs. That alone validates the need to hear both sides of the conversation about sugar.

Re:diabetics - you do understand that some T2 diabetes can be reversed or remissioned by tight carb restrictions? And some T1 diabetics can manage their blood sugar better and decrease drugs with tight carb restriction? Diabetics being treated with drugs must eat carbohydrates at a level that matches the level their drugs are optimised for - is that why the diabetic mentioned must eat carbs?