• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.
    What's sugar going to do to me about which I should consider worrying?

You?, I haven't the slightest clue. You could be one of those people who break all the science, eat garbage and your body finds a way to cope without harm. You could be a very rare bird with a special formula that works just for you.

DeguelloTex: What's sugar going to do to me?

You: Dunno, you could be someone who can "eat garbage" without harm.

Thus, you have just equated eating sugar -- including the sugar in the apple the OP asked about -- with eating garbage.

Wish that wasn't so typical of these discussions, but it is.

Op was told not to worry about sugar numbers based on y'all's anecdotal experiences. DT tried to turn it into what sugar was going to do to him. I don't care that you all have no issues with sugar, it is about general sugar concerns. I attempted to point this out.

OP really doesn't need to hear your personal lack of sugar worries projected onto his surpassing mfps suggested limits. Chances are since OP is on mfp monitoring, is asking about sugar limits and eating over mfps limit that maybe they could use some help in the other direction of sugar consumption?

Yeah, just because the general public doesn't have issues with sugar doesn't mean there are no general sugar concerns. Wait.
    The fact that so many people, including diabetics, are telling you there's no need to be overly restrictive in your sugar should tell you something. Evidently it does not.

An estimated half the US population is projected to have some level of insulin resistance. If you look at overweight and obese populations, the proportion is probably even higher here on MFP. The audience here is more likely than not to have issues with sugar/carbs. That alone validates the need to hear both sides of the conversation about sugar.

Re:diabetics - you do understand that some T2 diabetes can be reversed or remissioned by tight carb restrictions? And some T1 diabetics can manage their blood sugar better and decrease drugs with tight carb restriction? Diabetics being treated with drugs must eat carbohydrates at a level that matches the level their drugs are optimised for - is that why the diabetic mentioned must eat carbs?

Sugar does not cause any medical condition, and it certainly does not cause diabetes, and I doubt it causes insulin resistance, but I think you already know that. I know this because several of my aunts on one side of my family have diabetes (most Type I, one insulin dependent from childhood), and most of them were not big sweet eaters.

Besides this, sugar has zilch to do with weight loss because it's calories in/calories out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Unless you want to have a medical condition you should consider worrying about sugar.

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

Sugar is fun to eat, don' mistake it for necessary.

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Hmm. I've done my research. Start reading.

Show me one medical condition that specifically states that sugar causes that medical condition... I am talking causation, not correlation.

Dental Caries.

Technically, bacteria is what causes decay... sugars/starches are a source of fuel for that bacteria. Other things such as frequent meals and poor hygiene can contribute too.

But honestly, do you really consider tooth decal a medical condition?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

There are many things you body needs and if you are displacing those things and substituting unneeded sugar calories instead, eventually you will have nutritional or metabolic consequences.

What medical condition would sugar cause in the context of a diet that hits micros and macros??

Show me one medical condition that specifically states that sugar causes that medical condition... I am talking causation, not correlation.

Dental Caries.

Technically, bacteria is what causes decay... sugars/starches are a source of fuel for that bacteria. Other things such as frequent meals and poor hygiene can contribute too.

This.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I also find it convenient that "undiagnosed" people are included in that count. If they're undiagnosed, that means nobody knows exactly how many there are so you can make any kind of outlandish claims as you want. But then again, unsubstantiated claims dovetail nicely with junk science.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    All I can say if people choose to eat excess sugar over the recommended amounts then hope and pray that research never comes out proving it causes disease or medical conditions.

I'm not pro or against, and have zero interest in debating about sugar. I have an open mind and choose not to nitpick or mock those who believe sugar is not a necessary part of our diet.
    I have noticed though, that not a week goes by where I don't read or hear the negative impact sugar can have. It cant all possibly be baseless. .

Everyone has they their own diet path they choose to follow, and if it works for them then who am I to judge.

and some of these negative health impacts on people who get adequate nutrition and hit their calories goals are…?

Not sure how you can say that you don't want to debate it, then come in here and debate it, and then make some kind of strange statement about "reading stuff" about how sugar is bad, and not even referencing how it is bad….

• SLLRunner
    Options
    People should make sure they are getting their A1C levels checked at their doctor's each year. If you don't know much about your glucose levels (not just one fasting test a year, either), it's hard to say whether you need to care much about sugar or not. Being overweight is already one risk factor towards having to care about it.

I have to care about it, darnit. And I have an enormous sweet tooth, so believe me that I hate that I have to care. It came on so suddenly, too. Sucks.

ETA: I cross posted. Yep, I can eat apples still :) Cookies are different, and I have to limit those a whole lot more than apples. Even if they have the same grams of sugar.

Do you mean because you will overeat on the cookies and not on the apple?

I ask because the sugar in the apple is the same as the sugar in the cookie. Nutritionally they are different, though.

• ndj1979
    Options
    omg anything to justify cookies!..lol yes it is different last time i looked cookies do not have nutrients and fiber that slow the insulin response..so cookie=crap fruit=food

what if I eat cookies and get my fiber from other sources….?

why is the "natural sugar is good crew" always turn to fiber in fruits, as if the rest of us don't get adequate fiber from other sources….
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I also find it convenient that "undiagnosed" people are included in that count. If they're undiagnosed, that means nobody knows exactly how many there are so you can make any kind of outlandish claims as you want. But then again, unsubstantiated claims dovetail nicely with junk science.

It makes me laugh everytime i see that.. and its also amazing that the US keeps dropping their levels for "prediabetes". I can only imagine why... i mean its not like funding or anything else would be tied to those numbers.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Dental Caries.

i don't, which is why I ignored that ridiculousness….
  • AnvilHead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    omg anything to justify cookies!..lol yes it is different last time i looked cookies do not have nutrients and fiber that slow the insulin response..so cookie=crap fruit=food

what if I eat cookies and get my fiber from other sources….?

why is the "natural sugar is good crew" always turn to fiber in fruits, as if the rest of us don't get adequate fiber from other sources….

Not to mention the fact that no cookie I've ever seen is 100% pure sugar. Most of them also contain complex carbs, fiber and fat, which collectively attenuate the GI of the sugar. But don't let Nutrition 101 get in the way of some good scaremongering and orthorexia.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I can say if people choose to eat excess sugar over the recommended amounts then hope and pray that research never comes out proving it causes disease or medical conditions.

I'm not pro or against, and have zero interest in debating about sugar. I have an open mind and choose not to nitpick or mock those who believe sugar is not a necessary part of our diet.
    I have noticed though, that not a week goes by where I don't read or hear the negative impact sugar can have. It cant all possibly be baseless. .

Everyone has they their own diet path they choose to follow, and if it works for them then who am I to judge.

and some of these negative health impacts on people who get adequate nutrition and hit their calories goals are…?

Not sure how you can say that you don't want to debate it, then come in here and debate it, and then make some kind of strange statement about "reading stuff" about how sugar is bad, and not even referencing how it is bad….

That's the thing, I read the headlines but have only ever skimmed the articles. What I'm hearing is on the TV or in our weekly/daily paper. I'm in Australia, and the last 6mths it's just been constantly mentioned, and never in a positive way, so much so that I almost switch off now. I've never researched on the internet, because as we all know, anyone can find links to back up what they want to hear.

I'm still on the fence, erring more to the lower sugar side. I am one of the people who are hoping and praying that years of excess carbs and sugars aren't going to come back and bite me on the *kitten*. And truthfully I am sick to death of seeing young obese kids and their parents shoving sugar laden foods and drinks down their gullets. That alone is enough to put me off. Yes i know activity level and calories play a part... But so does food choice.

As for the debating thing, It just doesn't interest me, I don't have the time or the energy to drag a thread on for 10+ pages with neither side backing down. It never goes anywhere and NO-ONE ever changes their mind, so i honestly don't see the point..
  • psuLemon
    Options

That's the thing, I read the headlines but have only ever skimmed the articles. What I'm hearing is on the TV or in our weekly/daily paper. I'm in Australia, and the last 6mths it's just been constantly mentioned, and never in a positive way, so much so that I almost switch off now. I've never researched on the internet, because as we all know, anyone can find links to back up what they want to hear.

I'm still on the fence, erring more to the lower sugar side. I am one of the people who are hoping and praying that years of excess carbs and sugars aren't going to come back and bite me on the *kitten*. And truthfully I am sick to death of seeing young obese kids and their parents shoving sugar laden foods and drinks down their gullets. That alone is enough to put me off. Yes i know activity level and calories play a part... But so does food choice.

As for the debating thing, It just doesn't interest me, I don't have the time or the energy to drag a thread on for 10+ pages with neither side backing down. It never goes anywhere and NO-ONE ever changes their mind, so i honestly don't see the point..

The ironic thing is, its the same fear mongering that occured in the 80s and 90s with fat... pretty much verbatim.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you have no evidence to back up anything you are claiming?

As for obesity, too many calories leads to people being obese. Trying to single out one macronutrient as the source of the obesity epidemic is ridiculous.

So you don't have the time or energy to debate this, but you keep coming back to debate this? interesting concept...
  • Christine_72
    Options

The ironic thing is, its the same fear mongering that occured in the 80s and 90s with fat... pretty much verbatim.

That's why I'm still on the fence.. But I'm erring on the side of caution and hopefully giving myself better odds of a longer healthier life.
    But I can testify 100% that since I've switched to lower carbs my cravings and constant hunger have almost disappeared. This was the main reason I switched, because I was sick of always being hungry and the more carbs and sugars i ate, the more I wanted.. I was never satisfied. Yes, I realise they don't affect everyone the same.
    I'm now on the same of calories I was struggling to stick to before but am much more satisfied and not counting down the hours and minutes til the next meal.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

That's why I'm still on the fence.. But I'm erring on the side of caution and hopefully giving myself better odds of a longer healthier life.
    But I can testify 100% that since I've switched to lower carbs my cravings and constant hunger have almost disappeared. This was the main reason I switched, because I was sick of always being hungry and the more carbs and sugars i ate, the more I wanted.. I was never satisfied. Yes, I realise they don't affect everyone the same.
    I'm now on the same of calories I was struggling to stick to before but am much more satisfied and not counting down the hours and minutes til the next meal.

I have no problem with somebody who claims that they switched to low carb because it provides better satiety/adherence for them. That makes sense. What I have a problem with is people who claim that sugar is the devil and back it with all kinds of crackpot pseudoscience mumbo-jumbo which has no basis in scientific reality.
  • Christine_72
    Options

so you have no evidence to back up anything you are claiming?

As for obesity, too many calories leads to people being obese. Trying to single out one macronutrient as the source of the obesity epidemic is ridiculous.

So you don't have the time or energy to debate this, but you keep coming back to debate this? interesting concept...

As for your first and last sentence, re-read my last paragraph :huh: And i did indeed say calories are to blame also.
    The fact that you're asking for "evidence" proves you didn't read my post correctly.

People on either side can post 1,000 links backing up their claims. But they will be poo pooed if they don't line up with whomever believes what. I've been around here long enough and seen enough sugar et al threads to know there is no point. people love their sugar and carbs (and I don't blame them), they will hang on to them for dear life.
  • psuLemon
    Options

What i typically find with people that say they are hungry on carbs, is they tend to eat the wrong ones, more often or not because they didnt have much fiber. And since they transitioned to low carb, they are now limited on what they can choose from, which they then turn to more veggies.

To keep me full with 50% carbs, its fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, protein bagels, oatmeal and high fiber breads (arnold brand - US)
  • Christine_72
    edited November 2015
    Options

What i typically find with people that say they are hungry on carbs, is they tend to eat the wrong ones, more often or not because they didnt have much fiber. And since they transitioned to low carb, they are now limited on what they can choose from, which they then turn to more veggies.

To keep me full with 50% carbs, its fruits, veggies, greek yogurt, protein bagels, oatmeal and high fiber breads (arnold brand - US)

Fair call :smile:

When I look into Obese peoples shopping carts, they are often filled with what we call empty junk food carbs. If they chose the right foods maybe they wouldn't be constantly eating and craving the carb and sugar laden stuff, leading to eating too much, leading to obesity, leading to illness.
  • psuLemon
    Options

When I look into Obese peoples shopping carts, they are often filled with what we call empty junk food carbs. If they chose the right foods maybe they wouldn't be constantly eating and craving the carb and sugar laden stuff, leading to eating too much, leading to obesity, leading to illness.

To be fair, i know a lot of obese and overfat people following low carb diets too. In fact, i know a lot of overfat and obese people following every dietary style.
  • Christine_72
    Options

To be fair, i know a lot of obese and overfat people following low carb diets too. In fact, i know a lot of overfat and obese people following every dietary style.

LOL I can't argue with you there. I can only go by my own experience. I don't have any health/medical conditions so can't speak personally how low carb affects health.
    Howeeeever I have read so many positive testimonials on the low carb boards from people who have reversed their health conditions following this way of life, it's hard to ignore.