Daily goals: Sugar

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    @psulemon get out of here with all your sensibleness. How could you possibly insinuate that people don't get fat from eating too much sugar, that they get fat because they ate too many carbs, too many fats, and too many proteins?? <j/k>
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @psulemon get out of here with all your sensibleness. How could you possibly insinuate that people don't get fat from eating too much sugar, that they get fat because they ate too many carbs, too many fats, and too many proteins?? <j/k>

You're right, i will leave quietly.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You're right, i will leave quietly.

You'd better be quiet on your way out, if you wake the baby up, your wife might kill you :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It sells a lot more books and products if you use pseudoscience and cherry-picked facts to demonize a particular food/nutrient/food group and insinuate that you have the "secret" to health, weight loss, etc.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It sells a lot more books and products if you use pseudoscience and cherry-picked facts to demonize a particular food/nutrient/food group and insinuate that you have the "secret" to health, weight loss, etc.

I agree, I've made similar comments before as well. Just like the headlines on magazines are designed to sell. Quick fix! Lose 10 pounds next week, learn how inside! (reminds me of mfp's blog). Quick fix = quick yoyo. Make changes you can sustain for a lifetime, and learn the tools that will enable you to get back on track as soon as you start to go astray.

Sugar is just the next in line, after 'wheat belly', which followed 'eggs', 'fat', 'margarine instead of butter!' aka 'ooh, dairy makes you fat' etc etc.

Sorry, eating too many calories made us fat.
  • blankiefinder
    edited November 2015
    Options
    edited sorry
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to worry about sugar. I track it out of curiosity and yes the MFP recommendation is very low.

gee... i wonder why why! :#
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    motivccess wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to worry about sugar. I track it out of curiosity and yes the MFP recommendation is very low.

gee... i wonder why why! :#

Who knows? Maybe they assume most of us aren't getting much sugar from fruit, veg, or dairy, which is likely wrong in many cases.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I agree, I've made similar comments before as well. Just like the headlines on magazines are designed to sell. Quick fix! Lose 10 pounds next week, learn how inside! (reminds me of mfp's blog). Quick fix = quick yoyo. Make changes you can sustain for a lifetime, and learn the tools that will enable you to get back on track as soon as you start to go astray.

Sugar is just the next in line, after 'wheat belly', which followed 'eggs', 'fat', 'margarine instead of butter!' aka 'ooh, dairy makes you fat' etc etc.

Not to mention that so many people equal the management technique with the cause of diabetes/IR. Just because reducing carbs helps manage the problem does not mean that it was caused by eating too many.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I know I know

In the answer carbohydrates ?

Alternatively eat some cheese to neutralise mouth acids, brush and floss and visit the dentist regularly

Stop this crazy talk.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Not to mention that so many people equal the management technique with the cause of diabetes/IR. Just because reducing carbs helps manage the problem does not mean that it was caused by eating too many.

Yes, I notice this too all the time and like to point out that it is not listed as a cause.

I wonder how many people think peanut allergies are caused by eating peanuts.
  • skvortss
    skvortss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you smart people
  • Jodi2101
    Jodi2101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I regularly go over my sugar goal due to natural sugars in food but not normally in one serving of yoghurt and one apple. Perhaps just choose yoghurts without added sugar? If you like it sweet you can add your own so you know how much you are getting in each serve.
    I think the big difference between sugar in a piece of fruit and just plain sugar is that the sugar in the fruit also gets delivered to the body with fibre and is way more filling. 'That Sugar Film' is a great movie which really opens your eyes to added sugar in 'health' foods. It might help you. Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Jodi2101 wrote: »
    I regularly go over my sugar goal due to natural sugars in food but not normally in one serving of yoghurt and one apple. Perhaps just choose yoghurts without added sugar? If you like it sweet you can add your own so you know how much you are getting in each serve.
    I think the big difference between sugar in a piece of fruit and just plain sugar is that the sugar in the fruit also gets delivered to the body with fibre and is way more filling. 'That Sugar Film' is a great movie which really opens your eyes to added sugar in 'health' foods. It might help you. Good luck!

@Jodi2101 Welcome to MFP forums.

I think most people agree eating 10 grams of sugar by eating apples, bananas, grapes, etc would be much better than eating 10 grams of sugar by eating donuts for the good reasons you state. Yet for some reason it is the stuff with added sugar that grabs our attention so. :neutral:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I think most people agree eating 10 grams of sugar by eating apples, bananas, grapes, etc would be much better than eating 10 grams of sugar by eating donuts for the good reasons you state. Yet for some reason it is the stuff with added sugar that grabs our attention so. :neutral:

Sugar = sugar

Not sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Fiber does not change the fact that sugar = sugar

What if one gets fiber from a different source?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Pretty much comes down to fear mongering and not looking at a diet in context.. no different than the past 20 years in regards to fat.
  • Jodi2101
    Jodi2101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979 I'm not sure what your question is? I never said sugar doesn't equal sugar. I just included the fibre part with eating whole fruit because it makes you feel full. It's hard to eat 8 apples in one hit but an apple juice made with 8 apples is a lot easier because the skin/fibre has been removed. Making it easy to have a little too much sugar and therefore calories.