Sharing my motivation/views

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's great if it's working for you, but the way you wrote it makes it seem like it is the only way that works. It sounds like an absolute. You have to only eat for fuel and never for pleasure. For many people that's not sustainable and results in failure as well as a cycle of negative feelings for choosing to fit a cookie into their calories. We don't have to suffer to lose weight or have a great body.

i thought this was a place for support?

Are you sure you're quoting the post you meant to?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It's great if it's working for you, but the way you wrote it makes it seem like it is the only way that works. It sounds like an absolute. You have to only eat for fuel and never for pleasure. For many people that's not sustainable and results in failure as well as a cycle of negative feelings for choosing to fit a cookie into their calories. We don't have to suffer to lose weight or have a great body.

i thought this was a place for support?

Are you sure you're quoting the post you meant to?

sarcasm perhaps. ..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    That's cool. Just saying, just because someone chooses to cut out certain foods, doesn't mean that they feel like they are being punished- because it's not that serious.

Just saying, just because somebody prefers to eat a balanced, varied, enjoyable diet and not arbitrarily cut out certain foods doesn't mean that they can't be very successful - because it's not that serious.

I see a lot of people here on MFP who have very, very unhealthy relationships with food. It's compounded by the fact that they know virtually nothing about nutrition other than what they've read in magazines or seen on Dr. Oz, so they live by, and perpetuate, myths and old wives' tales. There's no need to suffer or torture yourself to achieve your weight loss goals. IMO, thinking that food shouldn't be pleasurable or enjoyable is a sign of an unhealthy relationship with food and leads toward (or exhibits) disordered eating. Saying that food should be regarded solely as fuel is akin to the Puritans who say that sex should be solely for procreation, nothing more, and you shouldn't derive even the slightest enjoyment from it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    That's cool. Just saying, just because someone chooses to cut out certain foods, doesn't mean that they feel like they are being punished- because it's not that serious.

Just saying, just because somebody prefers to eat a balanced, varied, enjoyable diet and not arbitrarily cut out certain foods doesn't mean that they can't be very successful - because it's not that serious.

I see a lot of people here on MFP who have very, very unhealthy relationships with food. It's compounded by the fact that they know virtually nothing about nutrition other than what they've read in magazines or seen on Dr. Oz, so they live by, and perpetuate, myths and old wives' tales. There's no need to suffer or torture yourself to achieve your weight loss goals. IMO, thinking that food shouldn't be pleasurable or enjoyable is a sign of an unhealthy relationship with food and leads toward (or exhibits) disordered eating. Saying that food should be regarded solely as fuel is akin to the Puritans who say that sex should be solely for procreation, nothing more, and you shouldn't derive even the slightest enjoyment from it.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    'do I want that cookie or do I want to see results'

I got sidetracked there. I want the cookie. What the hell sort of question is that?! Even if it's theoretical, that's not even a contest.

Amazingly I can, and have, fit in plenty of cookies and still lose weight. I think of them as magic cookies... unicorn poop cookies if you will. With sparkles. Actually, they were real cookies, and delicious too!
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    And then I kept reading. Now I have Beck stuck in my head. Thanks a lot ya' frickin' losers.

hello-loser-2.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    And then I kept reading. Now I have Beck stuck in my head. Thanks a lot ya' frickin' losers.

hello-loser-2.jpg

But being a loser is good! Yay me
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that weighing yourself took so much time out of your day that it made you unable to make it to the gym.

Anyway, while I agree that we shouldn't eat for pleasure all of the time, it's still nice to enjoy your food. Meet your macros and eat whatever you want to fill the rest of your calories. For example, the owner of the store I work at gave all of us a really expensive dragon fruit cashew cheesecake today to celebrate Thanksgiving and to show his appreciation for us doing such a good job. I'm going to eat a slice of it tonight. And I'm going to eat another slice tomarrow night. And the next night and the next night until the cheesecake is gone. But am I going to eat the whole cheesecake at once? No. That's the difference between eating to live and living to eat. You can still enjoy your food, just don't let it control you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

But did I say they couldn't be successful? And I said food shouldn't for pleasure, to a certain extent. If I'm putting calories in my body, they are going to be amazing tasting calories.

What tastes amazing or not amazing is preference only. ;) To some a cookie taste amazing, while broccoli tastes amazing to another person. Then there are some of us who think both taste wonderful.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

hello-loser-2.jpg

Love it! 'Cause I love being a 44 pound loser!
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

But did I say they couldn't be successful? And I said food shouldn't for pleasure, to a certain extent. If I'm putting calories in my body, they are going to be amazing tasting calories.

What tastes amazing or not amazing is preference only. ;) To some a cookie taste amazing, while broccoli tastes amazing to another person. Then there are some of us who think both taste wonderful.

The broccoli has cheese, yeah?
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2015
    Options

f7w67krow9ar.gif

Obviously...

Thanks for the cute gif, but I'm not sure you understand that I'm saying no food is good or bad, it's just food. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

f7w67krow9ar.gif

Obviously...

THANksThanks food the cute gif, but I'm not sure you understand that I'm saying no food is good or bad, it's just food. ;)

Yep, I don't get it either.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    @PrizePopple, absolutely!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @PrizePopple, absolutely!

I'd be disappointed if you said it didn't.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

f7w67krow9ar.gif

Obviously...

Thanks for the cute gif, but I'm not sure you understand that I'm saying no food is good or bad, it's just food. ;)

I assumed it signified confusion over your statement. I'm mean, come on, of course there is evil food!

jl7vxjry3vop.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Beth, here's my take: 80/20 all the way.

I agree that if most of your previous diet involved the kinds of rich or prefab foods that can trick you into eating more (like chips - I dare anyone to say chips aren't moreish and designed to be that way), including more veg and fruit and stuff is definitely going to help you stay on track. And it's great for you, so it's of course fine to have more of that.

But

1) You shouldn't hate the food you're eating! That sucks! Food IS a pleasure, we evolved to like it. And we've improved food in many ways, since our ancestors were around, and some of those improvements are magnificent.

We're also social creatures, and food is part of social life.

Saying you should only eat food that's good for you is like saying you should only watch documentaries about world issues, ever, no matter what mood you're in. I like documentaries, but honestly watching 5 in a row is pretty grim. You need something fun in the mix. Or I do, and so do most people, probably.

Learn some new recipes to make some of that food more appetizing to you, at least.

2) Chips are moreish, but having some now and again won't throw you off course. Some people need to be more careful about how they do it than others. Like me - if I have chips a bunch of days in a row, I know I'm going to want them even more often. So instead of getting a party-sized bag and bringing it into the house to torment me, I might get a small bag when I'm out, and go for another kind of treat the next day. But not EVER eating chips again would be sad. If your diet is balanced, one small bag won't make you gain ten pounds, and it won't make you ill.

80:20
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Why?? Unless you intend to derive pleasure from eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Beth, here's my take: 80/20 all the way.

I agree that if most of your previous diet involved the kinds of rich or prefab foods that can trick you into eating more (like chips - I dare anyone to say chips aren't moreish and designed to be that way), including more veg and fruit and stuff is definitely going to help you stay on track. And it's great for you, so it's of course fine to have more of that.

But

1) You shouldn't hate the food you're eating! That sucks! Food IS a pleasure, we evolved to like it. And we've improved food in many ways, since our ancestors were around, and some of those improvements are magnificent.

We're also social creatures, and food is part of social life.

Saying you should only eat food that's good for you is like saying you should only watch documentaries about world issues, ever, no matter what mood you're in. I like documentaries, but honestly watching 5 in a row is pretty grim. You need something fun in the mix. Or I do, and so do most people, probably.

Learn some new recipes to make some of that food more appetizing to you, at least.

2) Chips are moreish, but having some now and again won't throw you off course. Some people need to be more careful about how they do it than others. Like me - if I have chips a bunch of days in a row, I know I'm going to want them even more often. So instead of getting a party-sized bag and bringing it into the house to torment me, I might get a small bag when I'm out, and go for another kind of treat the next day. But not EVER eating chips again would be sad. If your diet is balanced, one small bag won't make you gain ten pounds, and it won't make you ill.

80:20

I think this is a nice post.

I just want to add that for a lot of us (and I expect tomatoey too), eating food that's good for you and taking pleasure in the food you eat is not at all at odds. When I'm keeping a deficit I find it even more important to enjoy the food I'm eating, AND I focus on eating a healthful, nutritious diet, because it's a priority to prepare my foods so that I really enjoy them, and like most people I enjoy healthful foods. And I include some foods that are more just for fun (especially right now during the holidays) and just make sure they fit in. "Diet food" is not something I'm interested in eating, period. I want a diet of delicious and nutrient dense foods, with some extras (including some cheese and chocolate) that is something I will be happy eating for life.

And I can't imagine I would have lost faster if I'd approached it differently, as when I was trying to lose I lost as fast or faster as recommended and decided to intentionally slow it down toward the end, to make sure I didn't start losing muscle mass. Now I've decided to lose a bit more, and am going to try to do it slowly, while training for some athletic stuff, so it's not at all hard to fit in a range of foods in my diet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Why?? Unless you intend to derive pleasure from eating.

Yeah, if food isn't for pleasure, why do you care whether it tastes amazing or not? It's just fuel, right?