Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    1-6.65mi build up run from 13:07-11:04
    2-strength and yoga day
    3-6.69mi fast run 11:40, technically. but reality is we have 5 min warm up and potty breaks for the dog
    4-rest day, maybe yoga day. feeling poopy
    5-13.17mi I was only scheduled for 11 but I was feeling so good at 9 miles I went on and decided to do a whole 13. I have to say a marathon isn't that scarey now.
    6-3.18mi for recovery and to do the Runkeeper Global 5k
    7-yoga
    8-rest day. so tired i'm dizzy. not sure why
    9-no sleep last night-rest. I'm calling it recovery week from the 18miles this weekend :smiley: aerial yoga at night
    10-3.12mi with hills, including two steep ones. top of quads and hips still feel extremely tight
    11-planned on running but was too tired still. rest day
    12-10.37 it went well. I was supposed to run the last three with my stepdaughter-to-be but typical teenager, she slept in. tried a new trail. it was nice and foggy. good run
    13-meant to make up the other three. didn't happen
    14-yoga day.

exercise.png

upcoming race:
    feb 13: Steve Cullen Healthy Heart Run/Walk
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »

Legs are feeling great!! Taking around 2km for my legs to warm up though feel great once I move past it. Might sound a bit much, but I have ordered some melanoma awareness tees that I can run in.. they have slogans on the tshirts to remind people to check their skin. It might sound strange I don't know.. but I thought if it helps remind one person now and then to get their skin checked then it's worth it?

Saw a mother and son running and he stopped to walk for a bit. He asked his mum how he was doing and she yelled "You're doing so well. Your stamina is amazing.. You just need to slow down!" He started running again and looked so happy that his mum had given him such great feedback. I love seeing parents out with their kids exercising!

Got me thinking - I really wish I had started exercising more as a kid.. Not just running, but any sport, really.

Here's a question for you all : On the running subject - How old were you when you started running? Did you run as a kid and then stop for a few years? Or did you just start up one day and keep going? Maybe someone inspired you? :smiley:

@kareF I love the idea of the melanoma shirts to run in. It is a good way to spread awareness, and yes: even if you help just one person, that's worth it!

I started running cross country in high school to get out of gym (after school practice > having to drop an academic class to get sweaty in the middle of the day OR 6 am early bird gym before my early bird class at 7). I did 3 half marathons instead of XC my senior year, and then took some time off until my junior/senior year of college when I did 3 more HMs in 2012. Then I stopped running for a while because my knees were awful from tendinitis and IT band pain. And then I gained around 15-20 lbs. So I started running again last April (2014) and found that without knee pain running wasn't awful! So I decided to get crazy and tackle a marathon and a few more HMs, and I haven't looked back. Now that I'm not plagued by knee pain whenever I go out, I just want to keep pushing the distances in my training and push my speed in races to see how well I can do. I would never have had this kind of motivation in high school or college both because my mental and physical discipline was *kitten*, and because my chronic knee pain made runs more than 5-6 miles feel like torture (but I did it anyway because I was nuts). And of course, I'm inspired daily by all of you and the people in my running group. I'm surrounded by runner folks online and in real life which makes the sport feel less nuts ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm very sorry about your dog. I'm coming up on an anniversary of losing one of my dogs but it's also my new dog's "gotchya day" :)
    @Stoshew71 still a good time, congrats
    @kareF I started running this year at 33. I am running to fit into a wedding dress. that's the short term goal. the long term goal is to not let my autoimmune disorder beat me. It affects so much of my fitness. when we went on our last roadtrip, I could barely make it up the incline to the main arch at Arches. I didn't like how I looked in pictures. And because i told myself I wasn't a runner. Now my long runs are HM distance. I keep a blog to keep track of my runs and to maybe encourage others in their journey to whatever their goals might be. My cousin doesn't know it but he inspired me. He does ultras but we don't talk at all, not sure why.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 3 miles
    12/2: Rest
    12/3: 6 miles with Thursday crew
    12/4: Rest
    12/5: Busy day in NYC
    12/6: Rest from busy day
    12/7: Rest
    12/8: Busy!
    12/9: Too sleepy from a late-night Buffy binge on Netflix...
    12/10: 6 miles with Thursday crew
    12/11: 4 miles
    12/12: 4 miles
    12/13: 7 miles (+4.8 mile hike)
    12/14: Rest day

Ran 4 days in a row, so taking today off. Planned it so my rest day would be the first rainy day of the week. Well done, me!

Here's a pic from the hike I went on yesterday with my running buddy. At first I didn't want to go because I had tons of paper writing to do for finals (I want a lot of it done before I go home for the holidays Friday, even though papers aren't due until mid-January), but then I was reminded that it was 70 degrees in December and that cannot go unappreciated. So hiking we went! It totally beat spending the day indoors looking wistfully out my window!

dl9n7x74v7zi.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    5/1/2016: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12/2016: Run & Ride HM at Cedar Point (maybe)

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Date.…Km’s…..Total
    01/12 – 05.76 – 05.76
    02/12 – 02.34 – 08.01 – ran 2k : 8’37 pace
    03/12 – 04.37 – 12.47 – stage 2 melanoma
    04/12 – 03.05 – 15.52
    05/12 – 04.08 – 19.60
    06/12 – 02.07 – 21.67
    07/12 – 02.01 – 23.68
    08/12 – 02.98 – 26.66
    09/12 – 08.96 – 35.62 – ran 6k : 7’26 pace
    10/12 – 02.19 – 37.81
    11/12 – 02.11 – 39.92
    12/12 – 05.13 – 45.05 – ran 5k : 7’58 pace
    13/12 – 05.22 – 50.27
    14/12 – 09.00 – 59.27 – ran 5k : 7’15 pace
    December Goal – 100km

Got a 5km run in tonight and 1.5km walk to cool down (on top of the 2.6k walk this morning)

Legs are feeling great!! Taking around 2km for my legs to warm up though feel great once I move past it. Might sound a bit much, but I have ordered some melanoma awareness tees that I can run in.. they have slogans on the tshirts to remind people to check their skin. It might sound strange I don't know.. but I thought if it helps remind one person now and then to get their skin checked then it's worth it?

Saw a mother and son running and he stopped to walk for a bit. He asked his mum how he was doing and she yelled "You're doing so well. Your stamina is amazing.. You just need to slow down!" He started running again and looked so happy that his mum had given him such great feedback. I love seeing parents out with their kids exercising!

Got me thinking - I really wish I had started exercising more as a kid.. Not just running, but any sport, really.

Here's a question for you all : On the running subject - How old were you when you started running? Did you run as a kid and then stop for a few years? Or did you just start up one day and keep going? Maybe someone inspired you? :smiley:

@kareF -
    I was in my 20s (24?). I never ran. I was a weight lifter and would walk on the treadmill for cardio. The college course I wanted to do had a physical component including a timed 1.5 mile run to complete in 12 minutes or less. I started running just prior to going to school. I couldn't run .5 mile straight. My first week of school I ran the whole 1.5 miles but not in time. I did manage to get under 12 by graduation.
    I kept running after graduation, never further than 5k. I moved away from home to get a job and joined a boot camp style fitness class. Some of the crazy people would run to class and run after. Eventually I started running with them. They invited me to train for a half marathon with them. I thought it was insane but I went along.
    I did run the half, then moved home (literally the next day. I packed up the moving truck, drove to the race the night before then drove home after) but kept running. I eventually met an equally crazy group home who dragged me into triathlons.

TL;DR - started running out of necessity. Met a crazy group or two who inspired me to run further and kept going.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - so pretty.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    12/1....................6.00....................6.00
    12/2....................5.00..................11.00
    12/3....................6.25..................17.25
    12/4...................REST.................17.25
    12/5....................14.00.................31.25
    12/6...................REST.................31.25
    12/7......................3.75.................35.00
    12/8......................7.50.................42.50
    12/9......................4.00.................46.50
    12/10.................REST.................46.50
    12/11....................5.25.................51.75
    12/12....................5.50.................57.25
    12/13..................12.50.................69.75
    12/14.................REST.................69.75

exercise.png

@kareF .... I started running in May 2011 at age 53. Never ran before that due to having ankylosing spondylitis since I was 14. Had my hips replaced at 24 and again at 44... the new ones are holding up real well... I have put just over 6,000 miles on them since I started running four and half years ago. I don't run many races but when I do, they are exclusively trail races. I have done a couple 50ks and am training for another one now. My brother is pressing me to do a 100 miler with him in October. The only "marathons" I have run have been 26 mile solo trail runs... and I am stunningly slow.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for you all : On the running subject - How old were you when you started running? Did you run as a kid and then stop for a few years? Or did you just start up one day and keep going? Maybe someone inspired you?

I think I've told my tale in the past, but...

Around 2007 (age 44), I got sick of being disgusting at nearly 260#. Hated to be in pictures, etc. When I was a kid and a teen, I was relatively slim, but not especially active (hated PE, etc.) - pretty much a nerd. I think the main reason I was relatively slim was thanks to my grandmother's good but healthier cooking.

When I hit college, I did the typical freshman 5 or 10 or whatever. Too, I was still not active, was sleeping way too little, and as a ministerial student, I was eating way too many "fellowship suppers." Kept creeping up in weight and clothing size, got married, served churches, stayed inactive, blah blah blah.

So I decided (again) to get healthier, and started on Adkins, and started doing a treadmill at work (I'm a programmer at GEICO, in Macon, Georgia). Then I got hooked up with a group that was doing a video workout at lunchtime (P90X, etc.). One of them was getting ready for the annual GEICO 5K (benefiting Special Olympics), and encouraged all of us to join her. I said, "You're crazed. I can't do that!" She kept needling, and said I could just walk it, and it basically didn't have a time limit, and "You can do it!" so I bit the bullet.

Morning of the event, I showed up, and found a friend whose wife was running it too - at 6+ months pregnant. Paul said I could run with Christy, and it'd be fine. I finished that one with a 41:30 time (she beat me - Paul and Christy were at the time crazy enough to be in this group - kids and knees have cut into their race availability for now). But I finished, and The Needler was at the end yelling for me, and I felt pretty good about it. This was 01-Mar-2008.

I did stop running for a couple of periods - a bout with plantar fasciitis, a complaining knee, a bit of laziness. But since then, I've done another 46 races, started doing 10Ks and am currently training for a HM in January, and am down to #193 this morning. Turning 52 at the end of this month.

I think I'm more inspired now than I was even a year ago - found this group, found an IRL group to run with on Saturday mornings, and got a bunch of folks at work who are runners and encouragers, and other folks, like at church, who're telling me that they are proud of what I'm accomplished in weight loss. I'm liking what I see in the mirror, and my doctor is happier with me.

Not planning on ever stopping....
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    12/7 got home from work. Sat. Never got back up.
    12/8 3.43. Stopped the car on a side road and ran. Knew if I went home....see above.
    NPqb/exercise.png[/img]
    @HonuNui Going home and sitting down is always dangerous! ;) I've more than a few times taken the running clothes to work with me and changed in the restroom after work, so that once I got home I could run right away without entering the apartment and being faced with the temptation of couch & dinner...
    @kareF I absolytely loathed running in school - I was always the slowest (or one of the two slowest) runners in my class. We used to have to run 2 or 3 rounds round the track as a warm up at the beginning of sports classes, and I hated every single meter.
    I started running later, at university (around age 20+), more or less thanks to a coincidence: I was browsing through a box of discount books at a shop, and one of them was a book on running for beginners. In a spontaneous "I guess it wouldn't hurt if I did some sports"-moment, I bought the book and started following the training plan in there.
    Turns out running is much more fun when you actually go somewhere at your own speed rather than in a circle with a teacher yelling that you are too slow ;-)
    There were some interruptions since (once after moving + starting a job after university, another 6-month-break two years ago after a torn muscle), but mostly I stuck to it and would really miss it now if I couldn't go running anymore.

@kristinegift Beautiful photos! That hike definitely beat stying inside with the papers :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I kind of ran as a kid but not for the sport of running. I did baseball and basketball and football growing up. Wrestled and played football in highschool. So there was a pretty decent amount of running involved with those things. In college I tried out for our wrestling team and ended up as just a practice dummy. But I still had to run a little. LOL

After college, my running was limited to a few pick up basketball games during my work lunch hour and the beer softball league. Every so often I would get motivated to go lift and run like 3 miles on the treadmill and that would last for a few months.

Fast forward to October 2013 (at the age of almost 42 and ~50 pounds heavier than I am now) my wife and I agreed to get in shape together [yet again]. So that meant going back into the gym and running on the treadmill.

This time I used mfp as social media meaning that I actually made friends and got into forum discussions. One in particular was the November Beginners Running Challenge. I thought it was fun that I decided to start my own running challenge that December. It turned into what you see today. I also joined a few running related MFP groups and met some really cool and smart runners. it got me motivated to run my first 10K in March 2014. I liked it so much I started training for my first half marathon at the end of April 2014, and then my first marathon in December 2014.
    I joined my first in real life running group in May 2014 (thanks to We Run Huntsville). I started reading a lot on the subject of running and the body. Discussions on mfp in the various forums got me in the direction of what specifically to look up. The rest is history.

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Managed to eke out my 11 miles yesterday. Was relegated to the treadmill thanks to a nasty rainstorm (I don't typically run outside when the weather is bad because I don't have a good running trail or even a sidewalk near home--I run on the shoulder of a highway). Now my left ankle is a little grumpy and I'm sorer than normal, even though I took it slower than I do outside.

40/96 completed -- still on track!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - beautiful pictures. What strange weather! It's wonderful but a little curious. After the past two winters, everyone in the north east deserves it!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Everyone enjoy this 50/60 degree weather because I’m hearing harbingers of the colder stuff coming in by the weekend. Nice while it lasts though.

@MorningGhost14: ..is now 3 miles away from my entire month goal. Feel just a bit inadequate…LOL.
    @Stoshew71: Congratulations on the 10K!
    @ACSL3: Hope you’re back to 100% soon.
    @5BeautifulDays: Congrats on the top half finish in your age group. 
    @kareF: Ran in high school one year, started at short distance (400M dash) but wasn’t very “dashing” so switched to the mile. I was the slowest on the team (only ever finished out of last at a meet one time..mostly because the guy who was just behind me was being urged on by his teammates with derogatory comments about me…pissed me off enough to continue to the finish line ahead of him even though I felt like I was dying) but always worked really hard and picked up around a minute off my time over the year. The yearbook pic came out of the track squad and they had me listed as someone else so being not especially mature yet, I got ticked off and didn’t return. What made me start running again was someone I knew who was really overweight started and just started dropping weight by the buckets. I finally decided if she can do it…and keep doing it…so can I. Been running about two years now. Age 43 to start up again. 
    @citylife624 and @ddmom0811: Absolutely awesome to take up running in your fifties. My hat is off ladies…. and a “WTF is wrong with you” to @MorningGhost14…for starting in his fifties and planning on 160 miles this month. LOL

Dec 1: Advent begins. Light mist but warm (low 50s), still a little bit of hip twinge, nice and slow this morning, 4.44 miles.
    Dec 2: Hound of the Baskervilles fog this morning, no demon dogs spotted. 2.35 miles
    Dec 3: Rest day, however, intended to walk..and it didn’t happen 
    Dec 4: Chilly tonight but not unbearable. 2.5 miles
    Dec 5: No run (family outing out of town) but did get in a half hour walk.
    Dec 6-8: Days of suck
    Dec 9: Back at it. 4.34 miles this morning in the DARKy dark dark…Already more than halfway to the miles I ran last month..December looks to be better.
    Dec 10: Rest day
    Dec 11: 3.19 miles. Weather is beautiful.
    Dec 12: 4.72 miles in my new shoes but I kept 'em (mostly) clean
    Dec 13: Rest day (intentional..not just being lazy). Still minor hip twinges but I’ve been doing more stretching and that seems to be helping. I probably need to bite the bullet and start doing core muscle building though. 
    Dec 14: Got up late today so I'll be trying to sneak in a moonlight run...

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    12/2 - 3 miles at 4:15am, I am tired but glad I got out as it is supposed to be a rain/snow mix tomorrow. Good start to the month. :)
    12/5 - 3 miles. Getting faster but still working on cutting out the walk breaks.
    12/7 - 1.5 miles. I tried my hilly park run and it was too much. My piriformis was complaining on the first down hill so I made it one loop instead of my planned 2 and quit. I gave it a good stretch and a cold shower when I got home and it is good today.
    12/9 - 2.5 miles. Very stiff and sore. Never got into a good rhythm or loosened up after a session the day before with my trainer.
    12/12 - 3 miles. Had an unleashed dog come running out to "protect" her owner as Neeko and I were going past. Luckily her owner was right there and she didn't go into attack mode, just ran out and barked at us. Only thing that got me really mad was her owner saw us coming and did nothing until she started out the drive and across the street. Luckily Neeko didn't really react and listened when I told him to stay and sit as he has a tendency to fixate and go into protect mode himself or it could have gone really badly.
    12/14 - 2 miles. It was a beautiful 62 degrees out. Ran in shorts and a t-shirt which was wonderful until... I started chafing. Never had that problem before but I am hoping for Bodyglide in my stocking this year. Which means I am running to the store to buy some for myself and putting it there LOL.

15 down 10 to go.

• markberry999
    markberry999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm looking to start running again. It's been years. Looking for friends on here who run for motivation and advice. Especially for winter running. Add me :)
  • kimlight2
    Options
    Date.…Km’s…..Total
    01/12 – 05.76 – 05.76
    02/12 – 02.34 – 08.01 – ran 2k : 8’37 pace
    03/12 – 04.37 – 12.47 – stage 2 melanoma
    04/12 – 03.05 – 15.52
    05/12 – 04.08 – 19.60
    06/12 – 02.07 – 21.67
    07/12 – 02.01 – 23.68
    08/12 – 02.98 – 26.66
    09/12 – 08.96 – 35.62 – ran 6k : 7’26 pace
    10/12 – 02.19 – 37.81
    11/12 – 02.11 – 39.92
    12/12 – 05.13 – 45.05 – ran 5k : 7’58 pace
    13/12 – 05.22 – 50.27
    14/12 – 09.00 – 59.27 – ran 5k : 7’15 pace
    December Goal – 100km

Got a 5km run in tonight and 1.5km walk to cool down (on top of the 2.6k walk this morning)

I started running about 3 years ago, then got sick and stopped. I restarted about a year and a half ago and have been serious about it. So I was 41 when I started.
  • kimlight2
    Options

Upcoming races:
    5/1/2016: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12/2016: Run & Ride HM at Cedar Point (maybe)

I am doing the Run & Ride 5k on Saturday and hopefully the 10k on Sunday at Cedar Point.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    12/2 - 3 miles at 4:15am, I am tired but glad I got out as it is supposed to be a rain/snow mix tomorrow. Good start to the month. :)
    12/5 - 3 miles. Getting faster but still working on cutting out the walk breaks.
    12/7 - 1.5 miles. I tried my hilly park run and it was too much. My piriformis was complaining on the first down hill so I made it one loop instead of my planned 2 and quit. I gave it a good stretch and a cold shower when I got home and it is good today.
    12/9 - 2.5 miles. Very stiff and sore. Never got into a good rhythm or loosened up after a session the day before with my trainer.
    12/12 - 3 miles. Had an unleashed dog come running out to "protect" her owner as Neeko and I were going past. Luckily her owner was right there and she didn't go into attack mode, just ran out and barked at us. Only thing that got me really mad was her owner saw us coming and did nothing until she started out the drive and across the street. Luckily Neeko didn't really react and listened when I told him to stay and sit as he has a tendency to fixate and go into protect mode himself or it could have gone really badly.
    12/14 - 2 miles. It was a beautiful 62 degrees out. Ran in shorts and a t-shirt which was wonderful until... I started chafing. Never had that problem before but I am hoping for Bodyglide in my stocking this year. Which means I am running to the store to buy some for myself and putting it there LOL.

15 down 10 to go.

Did you see my post about the stretch I do for my piriformis? It's called the Prone Figure 4 Isolation. If not look it up, it's been extremely helpful for me.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 0 blah day
    12/2 - 6.24 (2.66 lunch run + 3.58 dreadmill walk) Felt like an upside down turtle trying to make it thru quicksand. Felt super slow, sluggish, just awful. Later on the t-mill actually felt pretty good.
    12/3 - 2.83 Work lunch run...felt good. Not great. Seems like if I take more than 2 days off I lose something, like endurance or lung capacity, something.
    12/4 - 2.88 Lunch walk. It was gorgeous outside!
    12/5 - 5.25 Walked to neighborhood Walmart for greek yogurt and coffee creamer. Then drove back to get everything I forgot lol
    12/6 - Rest day. Letting the knee calm down.
    12/7 - Not feeling it.
    12/8 - Getting lazy.
    12/9 - 3.26 Lunch run. Beautiful day!
    12/10 - 3.29 Lunch run...gorgeous day!
    12/11 - 2.92 Fast walk at lunch. I dressed for the weather report. Shoulda known better! It was another drop dead GORGEOUS day. Tomorrow volunteering at Santa Stampede and will try to run the route when it's all over :smiley:
    12/12 - Volunteered at Santa Stampede. Mad respect for the ones running while it snows and accumulates on their lashes and nose hairs! I called it a rest day and stayed inside & cuddled with my cat.
    12/13 - 5.48 Day was too beautiful to let it go to waste. I did an exceptionally slow run for a solid 4.5 miles, but it was basically an accident. Was really only heading out for a walk but then I let myself do what my body wanted. The only reason I stopped is because I hadn't brought hydration with me and didn't want to have another bad "after run" experience.

Going to have to step it up a bit to reach this month's goal!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Stoshew71: Congratulations on the 10K!

10K? :-)