WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    tick tick tick, this time tomorrow we will be in bed.. and have to get up at 2 a.m.,
    soaking up last minute bike rides to watch the birds roost on bird island, it is just amazing to see them all fly in the dusk to there designated spot. had my bike and rode fast to get back and forth before it got dark...no lights on the bike..
    laying low with Tracy for awhile.I dont like being intimidated and made to feel like nothing..
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Today I donated blood. Rec'd a gold pin and a long-sleeved black shirt that I can wear to be their walking billboard.. lol My gold pin is for 10 gallons. I was a blue baby, so its the least I could do. If they hadn't given me a complete transfusion way back in 1962 I might have not have made it to be typing to you all! I urge those that can donate to do so. Its an hr out of your day, and you feel like a power ranger.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    194904olsgis3xqe.gif I got an e mail early this morning from my line dance teacher and she has a terrible cold to compound her swollen lip from when her dog accidentally bit her last week and she asked me to teach her class tomorrow and Thursday. I won't be teaching anything new and I can choose the dances I want to include so we'll be doing dances that I like and that I know well. I spent time planning the classes, organizing the step sheets, going over the dances, making a list in my notebook and making sure I have the right CDs. After no dance classes last week, I'm excited to be doing this. I won't be teaching my own class on Friday because of the holiday.

:) We spent time this morning organizing and cleaning the garage now that we have more space with one vehicle gone.....there's a lot more to be done but progress has been made.

t113021.gif We had sunshine today after a cold morning with icy roads.....and sunshine is expected for the rest of the week.

<3 Barbie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Mary, boy am I mad at you! You have given me a full blown case of puppy envy. That little guy is ADORABLE!!!! Still, puppies are a challenge. My Bruno may be a perpetual puppy though. He's three and not one iota more mature than he was when we brought him home. He still hasn't grown his adult brain.

Tonight I made chili for dinner. The last two times I made chili for dinner I wound up in the hospital with a colon blockage, and have not made it since. So it will be interesting to see if this digests OK. The doctor thought it was just a coincidence. Hope she's right. I didn't add extra peppers this time. Maybe that was the key?

We have major flooding all around us, but our little town has been spared the worst of it. Our neighborhood sits on a small hill, so that's good for us. Years ago this town flooded badly and hubby was looking for a house to buy, so he took advantage of the flood to look around and find areas that weren't flooded. So many people lost everything then. A lot of that is going on now too. Somebody posted a video of some poor whitetail deer swept away in the flood waters just down the road from us. I hope they got out OK.

Well, time to go do the dishes. Good night everyone.

Sylvia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Dammit, dammit, dammit; forgot to disable my touchpad. Everything I had typed just got deleted because my palm or joint of thumb hit the pad. It is so irritating to find that I can't make it automatically 'disengage' the touchpad for so long as my USB for 'wireless' mouse is connected.

Cracker is still outside. Guess because the 'dawgs' next door must still be out. I sure hope she doesn't run through the muddy water again. She is so entertaining!! DOGD came over to open her presents (she was in TN over Christmas with her boyfriend). Said they ran into a lot of heavy rain and said that DB would not slow down. She told him ... there's water running across the road up there; and he hit it hard; was up to the undercarriage of his truck. They did not stall; but, a little while later it started acting up. She told him as soon as they came to another exit she'd kill him if he did not pull off. She says he is a 'terrible' driver; I don't doubt it. She said she doesn't understand why people drive like nuts when it starts raining. Of course, they do; they're trying to get somewhere before water pools up in areas they might be aware of. Said it took 8 hours to get to her sister's house; when it normally only takes about 6. On expressway and a tree had fallen in the lane nearest the outside; so people were trying to pull over to other lanes; and then there was a wreck. I know hydroplaning can be deadly and it doesn't take much water running over a road to move a car sideways along with it. Once when we were going to the beach the road had standing water in it; and since we were in a SUV; husband rode through it and it came up to the bottom of the doors; we had to get out and push it out of the water. We both climbed out the windows to get out of it.

Lost 3 more pounds since 2 weeks ago. MD/nurse is so thrilled! ... so am I! Husband is thrilled, too. Three more points and I will be within 'normal' limits on my BMI. :D I think I get a 'massage' as soon as I reach my goal weight. YEAH!!!!! Total lost 33.5 lbs. I told her that DH was very supportive. She said that was good because a lot of women don't get that. I print out MFP's 'caloric intake' and while she was scanning them through her machine she was looking at them. I told her I did not know if they looked at them; and she said, 'yes'; because they need to know what we might be eating to lose/gain weight so they can help us make better decisions (or if we hit a plateau). Water % up, happy about that. Lost a total of 19 lbs of 'fat'. YEAH! :p

Gee, I wish MFP would put the same number of emoticons on the tread they have on PM area. Technicians for my computers say there really isn't a 'safe' emoticon site "free" and he recommends not trying to add it to computers because of the adware that attaches itself a lot of the time. I certainly enjoy Barbiecat's moving emoticons.

Keep at it for those of you finding it hard to lose; my MD said that I would have to get below the range of 1100-1300 calories a day for me to lose because of all the medications I take. One reason he basically 'ordered' me into the Medical Weight Loss Program, even if it is expensive (especially since I only have to buy groceries for 2 people). Seems like I can justify paying it for myself since husband doesn't eat much once he gets home. I do still cook for us sometimes at night; but, he usually eats his 'big meal' during the middle of the day.

Ate lunch with DH, DOS, and DBnL @ Wendy's today; so that took my calories for that one meal I can eat once a day; but, that cheeseburger was soooooooooo good! LOL! Drank water. Had to bring DH home after lunch. Thankfully he has an appointment with his Urologist on the 6th. I'm not sure I can wait until then.

4 hours later ... took DH to ER - hasn't been able to pee or poop; got there, waiting a while; finally seen right after he PEED like a race horse (and felt better). He goes to his Urologist next Wednesday and ER MD did not think he'd want to put a catheter for that long. If it happens again to just come back. LOL! Discharge nurse was so very helpful with some suggestions about stuff. I knew I would, missed the call from my MD's office. In fact, she called me 30 - 40 minutes after I left from my weigh in; and, she wants to get me in to see one of the nurse practitioners. I've got to call 1st thing in AM before the long holiday weekend. I think I have an UTI. Ugh, hurts. My symptoms were the same as 3 weeks ago; but, she doesn't think it is related to the same issue. Dammit, could have save me a trip (if I had known it). RATS!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip, my hair is now long enough to twist it up (or put it in a ponytail); I would have really been hurting if I could not put it up - I like to twist my hair up to get it off my neck, especially when I have a migraine. Good for you, I know that helps out a lot.

Annr - they won't take my blood because of having a rare pregnancy complication back in 1974. In fact, I think they ended up giving me about 6 pints over the 3 weeks I was in the hospital to build my count up. It was something like 6 (really low) and they needed to get it up to about 11 before they could do the procedure I needed. One pint, I broke out all over in hives and I was itching like crazy. They must have given me the wrong type or something. I had a Hydatidiformole pregnancy that only occurs 1:2000 births whereas naturally conceived twins occur 1:89. It is something that only occurs when you are pregnancy. Had to take 9 weeks of chemotherapy because parts of the placenta had broken off and gotten into my blood stream and attached to other organs of my body. If it had not been caught the lesions would have turned into cancer. Then every week for a full year they drew out 5 tubes of blood to send to the 'vampire' at Duke University Hospital to be tested. Wasn't able to attempt to get pregnancy until my HCG (pregnancy) hormones went back down to ZERO. OB/GYN told me that in the 40 years since he has only had 2 other patients who had had the same thing. Part of the time I was in the hospital he was researching what might have been wrong with me. I'm glad that I was going to him, rather than the OB/GYN in Jacksonville, FL. He was very quick to do hysterectomies. So instead I've got to gorgeous grown sons that have given me 4 granddaughters. <3<3<3<3 Now I have had a hysterectomy (since age 35). No periods, and no hot flashes until a few months ago; and they aren't bad. Had put me on hormones; but, had to take me off them because I was such a *kitten* the week I was off; got a little better when he did them all the time; but, still I did not want to take them, so we decided we'd try it; and, I've never taken any. Of course, I can still be a little bitchy. >:)
  • Hipchick0805
    Hipchick0805 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    h2edge51ddy8.jpg

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for November?
    What goals and resolutions have you planned for December?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

t116009.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington t0464.gif

November Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk an average of 13,000 steps a day (just barely made it)
    *organize music files on computer (finished)
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week (yes)
    *answer a friend's e mail that I've put off too long (didn't even start it)

December Resolutions:
    *walk an average of 13,000 steps a day
    *knit hats for three great-grandkids
    *meditate for 10 minutes a day four or more days a week
    *answer a friend's e mail that I've put off too long

My new years resolution is to stop making fat jokes about myself and to get back on track with mfp.
    Go to gym at least 3x per week
    Become more aware of emotional eating
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Mary ... I'm no dog trainer ... But it seems to me you're asking too much of Shep. He's just a baby right now! I recall the early days as feeding, playing, immediately taking outside (as playing stimulates peeing), sleeping ... Then repeat! Your Shep is a smart breed ... Consider formal training in the future. Your vet would know when and who would be best.

I've got all kinds of things going on here but too tired to write much.

My husband and I have had the house to ourselves for the first time in 30 years ... What did we do? Open up a box of stover candy and eat the whole thing at lunch! I'll pay for that lager at the scale, but the glee in acting like kids was worth it!

Have done something to the tendon in my knee ... Not good ... Hoping it works itself out.

Beth
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Mary: we couldn't start training classes until she was 3 -4 months. Gayle
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:

Jog - 8.33min, 7.0-7.5 sp for last .20, 8.33ap/min mi, 136ahr, 155mhr, 1mi = 84c
    ski machine- 15min, lvl5, 125ahr, 143mhr, .64mi = 144c
    rowing machine- 10min, 55aw, 106ahr, 123mhr, 1636meters = 69c
    other- min, 4 different stretch exercises - 3 sets of 10 each = 32c
    Other - physical therapy at doc, 44min = 97c

aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    ap = average pace / minute mile
    lvl- level (rope pull machine, level 1-7)
    sp = speed (on treadmill)
    ahr = average heart rate
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    c = calories
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Lisa, you talked about the time and where you were going and not going, but never said where you spent the night. DH grew up in NE Louisiana and my Mom’s family was from Mississippi so you are somewhere around our old stomping grounds. Hope you enjoy your roaming.

Penny, you know you are welcome to discuss anything you want with us. Not sure I’d be having a picnic in that weather. Lol

Chris, I know what you mean. How can any doctor say such a thing??? I’m down 60 at age 68 and plan to lose more.

Karen, so glad you packed your patience. It looks like you may need it. I find the older I get, the more I seem to have. I’m just glad to still be here.

Heather, congrats on your Dyson cordless. I’m sure you will enjoy it. All your company sounds like a success. Sorry you were hurting but hope it’s better now. Yikes at that dream!

Elaine, really cool drawing. Gosh at the patience you must have!

Terri, I hope the snow is finished for now. Gosh I feel for everyone that went from the mild temps to the winter storms.

Linda, I look forward to your lighthearted post next time, “but” I thought this one was right on the money. Something about our generation that puts everyone else first.

Pip, congrats on doing your hair without using the wall. Slowly but surely things are getting back to normal. Keep up the good work.

Mary, yes they can be a lot of work but hopefully that won’t last long. Before you know it he will be trained and behaving like a good boy. He is just so stinkin’ cute!!!

Katla, you are being greedy now! You have had that flu long enough and your DH, too. Ya’ll need to give it up and let some other people suffer with it for a while. I feel so bad for you that it has hung on for so long. Wish we could will it away from you. (((Hugs)))) OMG, Schooner is a doll! How old was he in that picture?

Allison, (((((Hugs))))) sorry your time is about over.

Sylvia, so glad your town has been spared the floods. My heart goes out to all the people affected by bad weather in the past week.

I went to line dance today after not having it last week. I did better today but gosh was I tired when I got home. I’m not sure if I told you but I got a Wii and the Fit program for Christmas to add to my exercise routine. Well, not knowing what I was ordering, I got the Wii Fit to the newer version and it won’t work with the Wii console that I got. Nintendo would let me return it but the shipping cost was almost as much as I paid for it. After some research and consideration, I took my brand new, still in the box, Wii U Fit and traded it for a used Wii fit game and balance board at a Pawn Shop. They didn’t want it at first but I told them I would do an even trade and they would be getting a new one so how could they lose? At least I now have what I wanted and DH doesn’t have to know I made such a stupid mistake. I hate just throwing money away. Ppppffftttt

My dear friends, I hope you all stay safe from the ever changing weather and those traveling get where you are going without any problems.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of spinning today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

Exercised, then went to Aldi then bought gas. A friend and I are supposed to go to Charlotte today

I'm in a sense proud of myself. Last year at the holiday time I got to 140. This year I never got that high. I guess my highest was about 138 but I'm back down somewhat to around 135.

Joyce - ((((a real big hug))). Breathe during this season. I'm sure you'll get help, too. Don't be ashamed to take it. I sure hope you're not developing a problem. My guess is that it's stress related.

Becca - with the milk stuff, what I do is I buy those smaller cartons (I think it has about 4 cups in each one) and use that sometimes. When we go away, I buy the individual soy milk containers

Lisa - you have no idea how many times there has been a bad storm and I've just slept thru the whole thing. Vince wakes up at the drop of a pin, but I can sleep thru the A bomb going off (jk)

Penny - you said that it's common to have a funeral several weeks after a death. What do they do so that the body doesn't start to decompose and you get a rotting smell? That's neat that those people had a picnic! Thanks for sharing.

Chris - are you still with that doctor? He/She should know better. It's possible, it just doesn't happen quickly, but it's still very possible

Karen - positive energy being sent your way

I also love the "rehoming" pic. Hysterical!

Lenora - Vince always told the kids that if it was between hitting a deer or hitting a tree -- hit the deer. I'm so sorry to hear about your hairdresser's wife.

kimses - good luck on the interview

Heather - what kind of diabetic friendly food did you provide for your son? I'd love ideas. We havae some diabetic friends and I never know what to serve. I really don't like using the artificial sweeteners.

janetr - so glad you are safe

Elaine - gorgeous

mjohemme - welcome! I KNEW you'd get an answer to your question

Linda - I know this is a rash judgment, and I really shouldn't feel this way, but a part of me wonders about this "therapist". Whenever there are family members involved, as long as I've ever known, the therapist wants to talk to ALL the members of the family, or at least to me. Even Jess agrees that this letter doesn't sound like Bryan. Either he's really really messed up or else there is something else going on. Even Jess said "what he's written, he's written before". He mentions things, but he doesn't offer any possible solutions. And there are things that he says that I have no idea what he's talking about. He's said before that he wants an adult relationship, I've told him that relationships are two ways -- not me always giving and him always taking or vice versa. Yet he says it again. I'm drafting a reply to him where I'll suggest a Skype session with the "therapist". We'll see where that goes. Of course, we didn't get a call or anything from him for christmas, just that email of two sentences.

The problem I see is that if we aren't making things easier for our kids, their friends parents will do it. Like when Denise let the insurance on her car lapse, we kept telling her that she should pay it or the car might get impounded. Well, it got impounded. To this day, she is very dilligent that her car has insurance. I'm sure she figured we'd pay the insurance and nothing would happen. No...we let her make a mistake and learn from her mistake. As much as it hurt us. Fast forward to the present with Pete. Denise didn't want to move to NC so his mother co-signed for an apt. They skipped out leaving her owing thousands of dollars so what does she do? She co-signs for another one. Did she pay for an education for her son? No, she bought him a truck.

Meg - today it was so warm that I wasn't wearing my sweater or anything (no, I take that back, I did have on pants and a blouse....lol)

Mary - I think I have puppy envy, too

Lenora - you can do this, you're so close.

pip - congrats on your hair! You're making amazing progress

katla - adorable doggie

Becca - I'm so very proud to know you. Helping out the way you do, giving blood. WOWSERS

barbie - so happy for you getting to teach. So sorry for the other teacher, but I know that you'll be so happy to be back to teaching.

Went to Charlotte with my friend. Didn't find the leggins that I was looking for and the store down there that had my whole wheat panko discontinued it, so we went to another store on the way home and I bought two more bags.

Tomorrow Vince wants to go see Martians at the theater here that costs $3. Plus I have a coupon for a BOGO. Looks like we'll be going to the movies tomorrow.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the wheat panko, never heard of it ?? Thanks Gayle Minneapolis r
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mary - haven't posted in awhile but have been reading and trying to keep up. For your puppy, general time frame for being able to hold it between potty breaks is 1-2 hours per month of age. So, for your little one at just 7 weeks, he will need to go out every 2-3 hours. Will not be able to hold it throughout the night right now. Also, based on the time frames, limit water no longer than 2-3 hours before bedtime. If you want to go to bed at 10:00pm, stop water access by 7:30 and let him out right before going to bed. They can usually go a little longer at night because of less activity but I would set my alarm around 3:00pm to let him out. That will help teach him not to go in the crate and make house breaking much easier. As Pip said, puppies are not usually allowed to be separated from the mother (sold) until at least 8 weeks old and most of time 10 weeks unless something has happened to the mother. Also, puppies without all of their shots, 3 distemper and 1 rabies, should not be around places other animals have been due to Parvo so they aren't usually allowed in group classes and should not be allowed on the floor in public places like Petco or Petsmart where other dogs have been and can spread the disease. I'm not sure how prevalent Parvo is in your area but it is mostly deadly to puppies. Some have survived but it is a very expensive and lengthy treatment. Sorry if you know all of this already, just trying to help with some knowledge I've gained over the last 20 years of working with dogs. Of course, each dog is different, just like babies. Hope this link can provide some good information for you -

http://www.petplace.com/listings/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/puppy-care

Specific to house training -
    http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/puppy-care/house-training-schedules-for-puppies

I also hope to be posting more in the new year. The last month or so has been a whirlwind but lost a few pounds and almost back down to my lowest after regaining about 10 pounds.

Tina in MD
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So at the food bank, we picked up some bag salads, a bag of potatoes, and some sweets, along with other stuff I can't think of. I picked up some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, took them out of the container and my son loves them. He said that they taste like gingerbread and yummy. I said they were just a holiday spice cookie. White lies are ok when it comes to describing food to a picky teenager. My dear husband got a huge white cake with bright pink fluffy frosting, and white chocolate thingies on top. He had a slice and I dismantled the thing into 7 containers, so it would fit in the frig. I did have some of the white chocolate thingies, and two finger-fulls of the frosting....AAAck.... Its in the frig out of site out of mind now. Phew!

Heading to bed early to restock my body's blood supply...feeling fuzzy tired. I always do, but its my excuse to get out of a complicated dinner fixing. Just took off the bandage. The guy said to keep it on for 4 hours, but I say keep it on all night to get the FULL I can be whiny advantage is what I do! He said, that was even better.

The technician at the Red Cross bus took my blood pressure, and it was 150/90. Very unlike me. I think he was doing it wrong, or reading it wrong. I usually am 127/74 ish. The next time I am at the store I will take my blood pressure to check.

Be well all, remember we don't have to live life perfect, just live life whole.
    Becca
    Fuzzy-brained in Oregon
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Goodnight everyone... sleep tight

Lillian
    in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Linda – you are good at being serious!!!

Love how much good puppy info this group has to share….

I am beat – I walked Levi twice, hiked this morning – and the hike was HARD – our regular 5 miles with 1800 feet of elevation change – which is never easy – but it has been raining and the mud was slippery and pounds of it stuck to my shoes.. my legs are exhausted. And I was hungry, I don’t usually eat back my exercise calories, but today there was no way to count the extra work of the mud situation, but even without the mud calories I burned a bit over 1000 today so I ate back about 300… and am not feeling bad about that choice.

So figuring out new years eve and day meals, my tradition is that Mom comes up and we celebrate Christmas then, so one night is salmon and bok choy and one night I have not decided – maybe lobster tails they are on sale at the local market. I’ll go look at them tomorrow and decide, they are previously frozen-so will not be the quality of Maine Lobster, but could be a treat. My mom’s dad ran a lobster boat as a side line (he did all sorts of stuff – owned a tool and die business, had 500 chickens, a garden and the lobsters) so she knows her lobster. I did talk to her and she sounded up for it.

Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We have decided to head out tomorrow for AZ. Not sure if the weather is going to cooperate. We will wait to leave until about 9:00 am to leave to make sure the freezing fog is gone and any black ice will be off the roads. If we run in to any problems we will just stop and stay where we are. We are in no hurry. Everything is packed and ready to go.

Goodnight ladies,
    Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Tina - thanks for the puppy links and information. I will read that tonight.

Katla- Beautiful dog!

Sylvia - some dogs never grow up. I have his kennel in the entryway closet. I took off the doors. He has an 11x4 foot fenced area to play and all he wants to do is chew on the wood floor and trim! Puppy envy still?

Michele - he is cute. After I gave him treats on our walk the next time I took him out he remembered and every time I stopped to let him go potty he came over and sat down next to my leg and looked up at me expecting a treat!

DJ - great trade! I love dealing with pawn shops.

Janetr - have a fun and safe trip! I hope you have beautiful weather!

Time to go to bed. I have to sleep when my Baby does! Lol

<3

Mary from Minnesota