New Diet Pills (Belviq vs Qsymia)

Options

Replies

• helgaready
    helgaready Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree it's frustrating to get beat down bc one chooses to try a weight loss pill to aid in finding their healthier self. I for one have lost nearly 89 lbs with proper diet and exercise. However I cannot get these last 15lbs off and so I am considering Belviq. When I started my weight loss journey I also started it by taking a dip ex for 2 months. I started with a pill a day m den wean to a half a pill and eventually stopped. None of the weight came bck and that's been over 2 years ago. After many failures along d way mentally I need some quick loss just to keep me encouraged along the way and it worked. I lost 15lbs the first month and another 10 the next. After that I had a regular wrk out regime...had better food mgmt and kept with it bc I was excited to see what the next 25 lbs looked like and the next 25..still waiting for d last 25 lb look and that is what has brought me bck to where I started...a weight loss aid...

My only issue now is that I am so close to a healthy bmi I am worried my doctor will not give them to me..And that's my opinion on that. ..
  • hansenl
    hansenl Posts: 4
    Options
    How did you do this month because I am exactly 1 month behind you with the same weight loss of 13 lbs the first month. Just curious.?
  • hansenl
    hansenl Posts: 4
    Options
    If I only had your problem!
  • kanitap
    kanitap Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.. both for and against it! Everyone is passionate and I love it!!! javascript:add_smiley('drinker','post_body')
  • juntura
    juntura Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much are the Belviq to get them filled.
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are bad, mmmkay?

+1 - Because when you stop taking them - problems start up again...just like doing a diet, and then stopping the diet. Diet and exercise is always the best way for a long term solution.

It is important to get into good habits. Glad it is working for you. Good luck!

I'm feeling your post!! There's always a (+) & a (-) to everything we do but I'm glad it's working for you guys who are taking them & good luck as well!
  • nursedina
    nursedina Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started taking Belviq and I am loving it!!
    My doc will not prescribe Qsymia due to the phentermine and stimulant effect but he stated he feels very comfortable prescribing Belviq. It has taken the place of one of my blood pressure meds also. My blood pressure has been through the roof since eI have gained so much weight...I had to take three pills a day to control my bp but the Belviq has helped control that and has lowered by bp so I have d/c'd two of the bp pills.

I just started it so I can't say much about weight loss but my appetite is very decreased and I'm having to remind myself to eat.
  • pamd3983
    Options
    Hello,

How are you doing now?
    Are you still taking Belviq?
    Did you keep the weight off?
    How much weight loss within a week?

Thank you
  • cozgrl05
    cozgrl05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think because Belviq is such a new drug people aren't understanding how it really works. It isn't really like a "diet pill". It actually works by activating the brain’s response to serotonin which makes you feel happy, full. That's a big difference than how most diet pills work. It isn't like a diet pill that works in the stomach. Belviq works in the brain and helps to take cravings away, which can help a person change their bad habits. They say it takes 30 days to change or start a habit. I would much rather have some help during that 30 days taking a small blue pill, than take a chance I'm going to get frustrated and give up while trying to do it on my own. There are a lot of people out there that have serious food addictions, just like a drug addict and their drug. If there is a prescription out there that can help a person change there habits I don't see what the problem is. It's really no different than taking a high blood pressure pill, insulin and so on. Also, Belviq only works in conjunction with exercise and a balanced diet. So if a person is taking this medicine and doesn't follow the rules of it they probably won't see results. Good luck to all who have been on and are starting their journey with Belviq!
  • girl_goals
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of trying Belviq! I read about 3 pages of this forum, and I didn't see anyone with my story, so I'll share. 9 years ago, I weighed 100lbs at 5ft. I wore a size 0 on my first date with my husband. In about a 6 month span of time, I jumped from size 0 to size 7, not changing anything fundamentally about my diet... if anything, I'd say I ate healthier in an effort to stop the weight gain. About a year after that, I was a size 12. I went to several doctors with my concerns, and told them about my symptoms which were not limited to my weight gain. Each doctor, including my family physician treated me insensitively and suggested diets like "South Beach" and "Atkins". When I got married, I worked very hard and lost about 20 lbs., unfortunately it was on the "South Beach" diet, so as soon as I started eating normally again, those 20lbs packed right back on. This was 7 years ago. About 4 years ago, a friend recommended a doctor and with some reluctance, decided to give it another go. After I told her my struggles, not only with weight gain, she didn't hesitate to tell me that I have PCOS. Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. THANK GOD, someone finally figured it out, and testing confirmed the diagnoses. Blah Blah Blah, fast forward to present day... I'm struggling so much with weight loss. In my case, and I suspect others have the same feeling whether or not you have a genetic disorder like PCOS or thyroid issues, but, once you gain weight, I think it's soooo easy to give up. The way your weight can negatively impact your self-worth and confidence, especially for someone like me who has the disposition of PCOS... I felt like nothing I did was going to work, so screw it. .....and I stayed in that mindset for a while. I got pregnant in 2012, and I developed Preeclampsia, which was debilitating, I could barely walk and I was swollen from head to toe, literally. It opened my eyes though, because as soon as I had my son (who was healthy thank god) I felt a million times better and decided that working out and being active was something I could appreciate so much more because I knew what it was like to have that ability taken away. Through breastfeeding and 'diet' and exercise the weight just fell off! It was so much fun! I felt amazing. I breastfed for about 19 months and then..... guess what happened? Although, knowing that weight gain is possible when you quit breastfeeding I kicked up my work outs, running 4 miles a day, and doing weight training, and yoga and chasing a 20 month around.... I STILL GAINED 17lbs! This was in May 2014.... I decided this was the summer of change and that I'd give it all I had. We even booked a vacay to Mexico in October, so I had a vision of what my goal would look like on the beach! I went to a nutritionist/trainer, who after an hour of discussing what I've been doing, he agreed he didn't know much about PCOS, and to keep up with my schedule. Guess what, here we are in August, and I've lost 5lbs and gained it back (depending on the time of the month) Sure, I've gained muscle by my rigorous workout regimen, but clothes fit the same, and people tell me I took thinner, but I think it’s really just the tan I have from running on my lunch hour. I made an appointment with my doctor after hearing about a friend of mine, who also has PCOS, who lost and maintained her weight loss using phentermine. I immediately started crying when my doctor asked what I have been currently doing to lose weight. It's emotional, and I take it personally when I've worked so hard without results.... She was not hesitant to give me three options, I asked her if she was in my situation what she'd feel most comfortable taking and she chose Belviq, so... I decided to try it. I only spell out my own story because, I read what people have posted about diet and exercise being the 'true answer' to successful weight loss, and it makes me sad for others who maybe aren't in the same situation as me, but have a struggle all the same. It's ignorant, and I think its mean. So, have compassion, it truly helps no one to be judgmental while sharing an opinion. I'm not going to back off my diet and exercise, but I'll be honest, I'm super excited to see some results. So far, and only 2 pills in, I've started to have a headache... like I didn't sleep enough and need coffee headache. I'm 2 1/2 hours into my day at the office and I feel better though. Also, it's time for my snack, and I'm feeling hungry... which is good, because I don't want to starve myself. My main concern is symptoms getting worse. My life is busy and I can't function if I'm not feeling good.... and, losing the weight and getting off Belviq and gaining it right back.... I do know, that you can basically cure yourself of PCOS, at least the symptoms of it, if you can maintain a healthy weight, so I'm somewhat optimistic.... but scared at the same time. Hope this helps someone out there, who's on the fence and has a similar situation to mine.
  • allisonnovello
    allisonnovello Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of Belviq ( only once a day) and i am down 4.2 lbs so far! the only issue with this medicine is the headaches. this medicine is really willpower in a bottle!! very helpful to keep calorie count stable :happy:
  • adayton485
    Options
    We know you already know. We know you are gonna respond just like you did. We are hoping that someone else will read this and not choose this method. Because it seldom works, if ever. You say your trouble is keeping up healthy eating after using diet pills, yet you get offended when we say to work on healthy eating in the first place instead of using diet pills. The first line of your profile says you have been yo yo dieting for years, well yeah. Again, the idea really is to help newbies who read the threads, we know people who are already taking them are just gonna be defensive. BTW, I dig your Van Halen replica guitar, I had a Kramer that looked just like that back in the day.

I must say that some of us do need help. Some of us, like myself have tried the calorie defies and exercise. I have even had a personal trainer to help me. Nothing is helping. So, yes, some people do need assistance. Maybe some people just use the pills because they're into a fad, but not all. I don't currently take any supplements, however I am looking into it. I am doing research about the different ones, but my point isn't that. My point is that not everyone is the same.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not going to get defensive here, mostly because I haven't taken any of the diet pills. I'm still researching. However, I have found that those who are against it keep saying the same thing. Eat in moderation, exercise, ect.. Now, with that said.. would you say something along those lines to someone who has a mental problem with food? Say like they can eat in moderation and they do exercise but they're always mentally hungry. These are just things that came to my mind. I am not one of those people who yo yo's a lot now.. I used to before my thyroid shut down. Never took diet pills in my life. I'd gain 60 lbs, drop 50 lbs put back on 20, drop 40 back and forth until my thyroid finally had enough and quit working.. I am on my thyroid medication. I don't see that as a diet pill.. never was meant for that. For me it's meant to keep me on an even keel on my life. My weight however is something I fight about all the time with myself. I do eat in moderation, I try to keep it healthy, and I do watch my portion control. I also do these exercises since I can't really do a lot of stand up workouts due to my knee (had surgery on it a few months ago)

I am slowly losing weight, but in the process of my thyroid medication my appetite (which was null and void most of my life) has now decided to be resurrected. My brain does not understand it all. My doctor suggested this as a way to get me through this part of my learning to deal with my appetite. I haven't done anything yet. I'm still researching, so please don't lump me in one side or the other.

As for the person who quit smoking using the patch.. What ever works for you I say do it. and Good for you for not smoking still. I quit cold turkey 9 yrs ago and I can tell you.. it was very difficult. I couldn't use the patches it made me sick and they didn't have the ecigs they have now other wise it would have been easier on me.

All in all. What works for some may not work for someone else.. each to their own and please don't say something is wrong for someone when it may not be.
  • cozgrl05
    cozgrl05 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been on Belviq for 5 weeks and I've lost almost 16 pounds. With the help of this medicine I am able to slowly reteach my body and brain to eat the right way. If I wasn't on this medicine and after eating 1000-1200 calories I would be craving and hungry again. I know there are many, many people on this site that can't stand that some of us need to use something like this medicine, but we're out there and we need help. Belviq is not like other diet drugs, it literally stops the cravings and thoughts of food. I have been able over the past 5 weeks to eat smaller portions per meals, 4-5 times a day, 200-300 cals, and watch my carb/protein intakes. I have literally changed my eating habits! Myfitnesspal has been a big part of that to, but its mostly been Belviq. I have been a member on here for several years, I have lost weight only to gain it all back and then some. This time is different. Anyway, Good luck to you all that are on Belviq, and to those that aren't. Our journey's are all different and I think we all need to support each no matter how we get to our individual goals.
  • waspokey
    Options
    I am on Belviq as well. There is no such thing as a miracle drug, but I agree that this is giving me the boost I need in the willpower department. I have been on it for 3 and 1/2 weeks and as of today, I have lost 8 lbs. I started on a half dosage with some headaches and when I moved up to a full dosage, I guess my body had adjusted because the headaches are gone. I am going to the doctor this week and will be asking for a prescription (I was on the free trial). I have been working out 45-60 minutes a day and watching what I eat, which you have to do. The weight doesn't drop off magically, you still have to work at it, but it's true that you do feel more full and I have less cravings.

I never had problems losing weight, this time last year, I dropped 20 lbs. in 3 months, but then I quit smoking and even though I thought I was doing all the right things, I think I was just eating too much and snacking too much because I gained all the weight back plus 5 lbs.

At first I did see some crazy results like losing 4 lbs. in a week, but I don't think that's going to happen regularly for me. Now I weight myself twice a week and I usually see between 1/2 -1 lb. loss. Which is great since before I would weigh myself once a week and if I lost anything it was amazing. The only time I gained on the scale was after a crazy 4lb. weight loss in a couple days, so I think that as long as you treat this medication as a "helper" used to keep your bad habits at bay, then it will work.
  • BobbiePaul
    Options
    I am on my 3rd day of BelviQ and Phentermine together...so far so good..No headaches, feel amazing and have already went down 2.5 pounds. I eat only Real whole food and work out 4-5 days a week. I have felt kind of drunk or super relaxed these last few days but with each day the effect are getting better and better. I'm proud of all the people that stood up for themselves when it came to the Naysayers on here. Those people have good intentions but obviously can lose weight on their own without any assistance. I used to be like that...and then when I hit 46 years old EVERYTHING seemed to change... I am the healthiest and most Fit I have ever been in my life yet the weight keeps piling on. Unacceptable to me. These pills were like a last chance workout for me. My doctor ran all kinds of tests to make sure I was in the right health physically and mentally in order to take these pills. I for one, thank God that I have them...Day 3 and I'm so positive and motivated that I can barely see straight. Good luck everyone..We got this! :bigsmile:
  • effondrement
    effondrement Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    However, I have found that those who are against it keep saying the same thing. Eat in moderation, exercise, ect.. Now, with that said.. would you say something along those lines to someone who has a mental problem with food? Say like they can eat in moderation and they do exercise but they're always mentally hungry. These are just things that came to my mind.

Emotional hunger can be treated with intensive exercise. It sounds counterintuitive, but the harder you push your body in a workout, the fewer emotional cravings you will have for food. And by "workout" I don't mean walking on an incline for 15 minutes at the gym, I'm talking about intense, get your heart pumping to at least 80% of your max heart rate exercise, and keeping it there for at least 30 minutes. These kinds of workouts will release endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and eventually you will find yourself no longer emotionally craving food. Note: I say this as a former binger. I can't remember the last time I binged now.

But, hey. I'm no doctor. If you really need some advice for "mental problem with food" I recommend talking to a therapist. Otherwise I'm going to continue to tout the same advice I give everyone: eat less, move more. and I mean MOVE
  • chordonblue
    Options
    Hmmm...

Yes, I'd say I have a 'mental problem' with food. I'm a great cook, and I LOVE food, almost as much as I love life. That's a problem, and I freely admit it.

HOWEVER...

While I've always struggled with my weight (since my 30's), it wasn't until a near death experience with the flu, that things got out of control. Some time in 1998, I caught the flu, and it decided to stay with me for almost 2 months. Nothing the doctors did worked, and in the end, I ended up with pneumonia and a high fever. What I didn't know then was that although I eventually recovered, my thyroid did not, and I didn't discover this until 2004 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Syndrome.

With my thyroid removed, it's been a roller coaster ride to figure how just what dosage of Synthroid I needed. At first, I was put on Levothyroxine, and I immediately felt better. But after a few years, I started feeling sluggish again, gained more weight, felt bad. They upped the dosage, but nothing seemed to work. I was switched to Synthroid, and it's been better, but not great.

But the weight I gained during that time never left me.

Now I tried Phentermine in 2002, and it worked. I lost 92 lbs., started eating right, exercising, felt better as a result (aside from the hyperactive side effects). But what I learned from Phen, was more than just good eating habits. I learned you could live life without being hungry all the time. Without plotting where the fast food places were on any trip. Without the constant thoughts. I slowly realized that this is what it must be like for thin people.

That effect, was certainly NOT a thyroid issue. Clearly, there's something else going on, and for a drug to make me feel 'normal', admittedly doesn't feel normal. It worked for 7 months, and at the end I was on the maximum dosage (37.5 mg). One slice of pizza on a fourth of July told me it wasn't working anymore. Pizza was <i>unthinkable</i>! My brain has finally wired itself around the drug - and I was still fighting the whole thyroid thing (although I didn't know it at the time).

From then on, I've made some honest, and not so honest lifestyle changes and dieting attempts, but at least I've never approached the 365 lbs. maximum I was in 1999 - and yes, I consider that a (small) victory.

So while it's easy for some of you out there to get all 'Susan Powter' on those of us struggling, desperate to find a way to control the cravings which derail any long term attempt to lose weight, keep in mind that everyone has a different story.

I'm writing this because I'm about to go pick up my first prescription of Belviq this morning. I've been seeing some good results here and elsewhere, and my doctor recommended this because the next stop is surgery - a route I don't relish but will do if I can't make this work. I don't take this lightly - it's expensive, and I already take enough pills as it is.

But here's the deal: I'm not giving up yet. I'm not ready for that first heart attack or stroke. My blood pressure, so far, has been controlled with meds, but those days will come to an end at some point if I can't get my weight down. And, of course, the meds contribute to an overall degradation in my mental and physical abilities - which is ridiculous. I will try this, and I will not be bullied by anyone suggesting I'm less of a person because I understand my own admitted weaknesses and how I need to approach this.

I am going to miss the Cannelloni with white wine sauce though... ;)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

get all 'Susan Powter' on us

SusanPowterStopTheInsanity.png
  • amylynn0586
    amylynn0586 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks Girl_goals for your story. I have a very similar one. It seems like no matter what your body is constantly on a vengeance against you when you have PCOS. I have tried Qsymia and it worked but I couldn't keep paying for it every month. so now I'm trying belviq I just pray it helps.