White addiction

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want and have lost 75+ pounds.

i have chocolate pretty much on a daily basis
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent article on the concept of sugar "addiction". I would encourage you to take a look, and then analyze how much of your sugar intake is "added sugar". When you eat refined carbs, your body dumps insulin into your bloodstream, which in turn drastically lowers your blood sugar, which in turn makes you want more sugar. Try subbing a banana with almonds for cookies. Try subbing whole grapes for dried fruit. You'll still get the sweet, but less of an insulin dump. http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/experts-is-sugar-addictive-drug#3
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So brown sugar and honey is ok

Got it
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent article on the concept of sugar "addiction". I would encourage you to take a look, and then analyze how much of your sugar intake is "added sugar". When you eat refined carbs, your body dumps insulin into your bloodstream, which in turn drastically lowers your blood sugar, which in turn makes you want more sugar. Try subbing a banana with almonds for cookies. Try subbing whole grapes for dried fruit. You'll still get the sweet, but less of an insulin dump. http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/experts-is-sugar-addictive-drug#3

I'm sorry but that's just a laughably poor article. Their "experts" on sugar addiction are a "children's health and wellness expert", a "Strategic director" of a non-profit organization, a "Registered, Licensed Dietician", and a "Blogger & Health Coach". None of those would I consider to be experts on the subject of addiction. And of course, they all make vague references to "research is beginning to show..." without citing said research.

Also, your body does not differentiate between "added" sugar, and that which would be found in "whole grapes or bananas". Protein also spikes insulin in a manner similar to carbs.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So brown sugar and honey is ok

Got it

Hello with that. I'd rather die young than give up my sweet sweet coffee. And the best part is that I won't anyway because there isn't actually anything wrong with sugar:)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Also, I have no had this thread open for a half an hour just so I can cruise the forum while still listening to this ha ha!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    When you use the language of addiction you lose control and provide yourself with built in excuses

That is why terminology is important

Eating addiction is a behavioural issue where cognitive therapies can help

Food addiction however is a very much disputed term as food is not physically addictive

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foods you listed....In moderation. No weight loss hindering. I am happy.
    Weight loss is all about CICO.... eat less than you burn in a day. You don't have that much to lose, so aim for half a pound loss per week for a healthy weight loss.

I'm sorry but that's just a laughably poor article. Their "experts" on sugar addiction are a "children's health and wellness expert", a "Strategic director" of a non-profit organization, a "Registered, Licensed Dietician", and a "Blogger & Health Coach". None of those would I consider to be experts on the subject of addiction. And of course, they all make vague references to "research is beginning to show..." without citing said research.

Also, your body does not differentiate between "added" sugar, and that which would be found in "whole grapes or bananas". Protein also spikes insulin in a manner similar to carbs.
    Yup. Agreed.

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    When you use the language of addiction you lose control and provide yourself with built in excuses

Food addiction however is a very much disputed term as food is not physically addictive

Certain foods have rewarding and reinforcing properties; for example, high sugar-high fat combinations are rewarding for rodents and humans alike. From an evolutionary perspective, these rewarding properties increase motivation to seek out and obtain an adequate and nutritionally diverse energy supply. In our modern obesogenic environment, characterized by ready availability of highly palatable and energy-dense food, it seems that these rewarding properties of particular foods might overwhelm both cognitive restraint and homeostatic mechanisms, and lead to weight gain.

Whether or not its "addictive" in the strictest chemical sense if someone wants to control their intake and is repeatedly unsuccessful whether it is cane sugar, skittles,popcorn, bacon lard, or whiskey then that person may have a 'problem' with said food.

Video Games are not chemically addictive. If somebody was flunking class,ignoring social functions and obligations, and getting fired from work from playing too many video games and their friends tell them to only play after test days or to make sure all their studying was done first or to just IIFYT (If it fits your time). If they still find themselves playing too many video games over and over and doing poorly in school, I hope they tell them to ditch the XBox (PS4 is better anyways :smile:) at least for the time because they relate to the VG in an unhealthy way and are not in control of it.

Sometimes cutting back and moderation in all things works great for people adn thats awesome. But sometimes a person can benefit from eliminating those foods and setting up their environment with foods they don't have control issues with. Maybe some day that person is able to reintroduce said food (and thats great) and maybe they'll always need to keep at arms length .

I know you are primarily responding to claim of physical chemical addiction "just like cocaine" so I hope you know I'm not meaning to attack you if thats how it comes off its just frustrating to see the "LOL, who can't eat sugar in moderation you weak little person"
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »

Certain foods have rewarding and reinforcing properties; for example, high sugar-high fat combinations are rewarding for rodents and humans alike. From an evolutionary perspective, these rewarding properties increase motivation to seek out and obtain an adequate and nutritionally diverse energy supply. In our modern obesogenic environment, characterized by ready availability of highly palatable and energy-dense food, it seems that these rewarding properties of particular foods might overwhelm both cognitive restraint and homeostatic mechanisms, and lead to weight gain.

Whether or not its "addictive" in the strictest chemical sense if someone wants to control their intake and is repeatedly unsuccessful whether it is cane sugar, skittles,popcorn, bacon lard, or whiskey then that person may have a 'problem' with said food.

Video Games are not chemically addictive. If somebody was flunking class,ignoring social functions and obligations, and getting fired from work from playing too many video games and their friends tell them to only play after test days or to make sure all their studying was done first or to just IIFYT (If it fits your time). If they still find themselves playing too many video games over and over and doing poorly in school, I hope they tell them to ditch the XBox (PS4 is better anyways :smile:) at least for the time because they relate to the VG in an unhealthy way and are not in control of it.

Sometimes cutting back and moderation in all things works great for people adn thats awesome. But sometimes a person can benefit from eliminating those foods and setting up their environment with foods they don't have control issues with. Maybe some day that person is able to reintroduce said food (and thats great) and maybe they'll always need to keep at arms length .

I know you are primarily responding to claim of physical chemical addiction "just like cocaine" so I hope you know I'm not meaning to attack you if thats how it comes off its just frustrating to see the "LOL, who can't eat sugar in moderation you weak little person"

I don't disagree ..elimination might be necessary for some in the initial stages ...but it's to the products that are made from sugar ...people can find it difficult to resist cake or cookies but pure granulated sugar? Nobody sits down and eats bag after bag straight ...it's the mix of sugar with fats and other carbs that is highly palatable

Also my point was eating addiction =\= food addiction and hence the treatment options are different
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options

While I agree with everything you've said here, I think perhaps you've missed the point rabbit was making.

Actual physical addiction issues aside, many of us find the terminology we use in our own minds and descriptions to be powerful. If your video game flunkie is wanting to make changes, which thought is more empowering?

1. "I can't help myself, I'm ADDICTED to video games!"
    2. "I REALLY LIKE video games, and have difficulty controlling my behavior with regards to them!"

It's a subtle difference, but to me, statement 1 puts all the power in the hands (metaphorically of course) of the video games. It's the fault of the video games; we are powerless over them. Statement 2 acknowledges that it's ME that's the issue, that I have the power to control my behavior (I'm just not choosing to do so presently).

I think we'd all agree there's a significant mental issue that we all in our own way have to overcome with regard to whatever our own personal "video games" are. And that it doesn't help by shifting the blame or power to the substance over our own personal behavior and choices.

ETA: In no way do I think that this and this alone will completely solve the problem; but I do believe that a person who thinks more like statement #2 has a better chance of overcoming his/her issues - regardless of the method (that's not what's at debate here) - than person #1.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't disagree ..elimination might be necessary for some in the initial stages ...but it's to the products that are made from sugar ...people can find it difficult to resist cake or cookies but pure granulated sugar? Nobody sits down and eats bag after bag straight ...it's the mix of sugar with fats and other carbs that is highly palatable

Also my point was eating addiction =\= food addiction and hence the treatment options are different

Right. If the sugar itself was addictive, then people would not be able to control their intake around ANY kind of sugar - whether that be straight table sugar out of the bag, sugar within baked goods, and sugar within fruit or dairy.

To the poster above, it is not dismissive to say that it is not an addiction, it is a habit that needs to be addressed. Learning how to moderate one's sugar intake - even if initially you do heavy restriction/elimination in order to be able to later decide if it can be reintroduced - is something that MANY people have had success with and have found empowering, that they are in control, not the food that they previously labelled as addictive.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

We don't, as far as I can tell, know whether the issue is too many video games per se or simply the desire not to play video games even IIFYT.

Without that, there's no way to give a coherent answer to the actual question, because we don't know the actual question.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    blogasese wrote: »
    Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Eat 1g of protein for every pound of your lean body mass (LBM), to feed your muscle. So if your LBM is 115, eat 115g or so of protein.

You can break the sugar addiction by filling up on all that you should be eating: veggies, protein, healthy fats.

After a few days, your body will adjust, although you may still have a mental habit.

Weigh your food and log it...and stick with it.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Ate all the foods you listed, stayed within calorie limit and lost weight. Had nothing to do with any white stuff, cocaine included.
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hey, I am constantly loosing my fight against sugar. Choclote, dried fruits, sweets, cookies. Endless list that can't stop thinking about. How you fight sugar addiction? Is this anything to do with that that I don't eat much meat?

Eat 1g of protein for every pound of your lean body mass (LBM), to feed your muscle. So if your LBM is 115, eat 115g or so of protein.

You can break the sugar addiction by filling up on all that you should be eating: veggies, protein, healthy fats.

After a few days, your body will adjust, although you may still have a mental habit.

That's a lot of protein...no research has proved that that much is required even by elite athletes, although subject to no medical conditions it certainly isn't going to harm you any ...the range I often see is 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight (minimum targets of course) EDIT: sorry I misread that and didn't see the LBM for some reason...letting this stand for thread to make sense though

Eating addiction is a mental habit, there's no physical addiction to break ..I think that's the point we have been trying to make

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

While I agree with everything you've said here, I think perhaps you've missed the point rabbit was making.

Actual physical addiction issues aside, many of us find the terminology we use in our own minds and descriptions to be powerful. If your video game flunkie is wanting to make changes, which thought is more empowering?

1. "I can't help myself, I'm ADDICTED to video games!"
    2. "I REALLY LIKE video games, and have difficulty controlling my behavior with regards to them!"

It's a subtle difference, but to me, statement 1 puts all the power in the hands (metaphorically of course) of the video games. It's the fault of the video games; we are powerless over them. Statement 2 acknowledges that it's ME that's the issue, that I have the power to control my behavior (I'm just not choosing to do so presently).

I think we'd all agree there's a significant mental issue that we all in our own way have to overcome with regard to whatever our own personal "video games" are. And that it doesn't help by shifting the blame or power to the substance over our own personal behavior and choices.

ETA: In no way do I think that this and this alone will completely solve the problem; but I do believe that a person who thinks more like statement #2 has a better chance of overcoming his/her issues - regardless of the method (that's not what's at debate here) - than person #1.

I absolutely agree that the internal message we tell ourselves greatly affects the outcome. If you believe that you are in control, you are. If you believe you are the victim of an addiction, and that it controls you, then it has the control.

I can safely say that I alone am responsible for whether I gain, maintain, or lose weight. I decide what I eat, my food doesn't decide for me.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options

That's a lot of protein...no research has proved that that much is required even by elite athletes, although subject to no medical conditions it certainly isn't going to harm you any ...the range I often see is 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight (minimum targets of course)

Eating addiction is a mental habit, there's no physical addiction to break ..I think that's the point we have been trying to make

I think you're saying about the same thing...the #'s you used refer to total body weight; Lovee's refer to only Lean Mass.

Someone at 150 lbs and 20% BF who eats 1 gram per pound of lean mass would have a goal of 120 grams

Same person who uses 0.8g per pound of total weight would also have a goal of 120 grams.

Though, as stated, I agree on the comments regarding "addiction."
  • Sued0nim
    Options

That's a lot of protein...no research has proved that that much is required even by elite athletes, although subject to no medical conditions it certainly isn't going to harm you any ...the range I often see is 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight (minimum targets of course)

I think you're saying about the same thing...the #'s you used refer to total body weight; Lovee's refer to only Lean Mass.

Someone at 150 lbs and 20% BF who eats 1 gram per pound of lean mass would have a goal of 120 grams

Same person who uses 0.8g per pound of total weight would also have a goal of 120 grams.

Quite right ...apologies I misread that as per lb bodyweight ...blame brain addled by pub lunch ;) ...
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options

Quite right ...apologies I misread that as per lb bodyweight ...blame brain addled by pub lunch ;) ...

Hopefully it was a 2 pint minimum pub lunch! :)