Rude People

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a forum for pregnant and new moms...THAT was a vicious site. Whoever thought to throw a bunch of sleep deprived, hormonal, fat ladies on one site is a sadist. MFP is tame, trust me.

(...babycenter...)

*shudder*

:indifferent:

Considering that I've seen grown women in a Bible study group go at each other with teeth bared over which type of baby wearing is good and which type will render the baby completely crippled, I can only imagine.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    here is a list of the people on the interwebz who annoy me:

1) the self righteous
    2) the picky
    3) the know it alls
    4) the sarcastics
    5) the people who don't know how to use spell check
    6) the over gif-ers
    7) the under gif-ers
    8) the people who don't care what I think
    9) the people who are contradictory to me
    10) the people who assume all constructive criticisim is belitting, rude, or confrontational
    11) the people who make long lists
    12) the people who create posts about stuff I don't care about
    13) the people who don't understand that I don't care what they think
    14) the people who support all their arguments with "science"
    15) the people who support none of their arguments without "science"
    and finally
    16) this lady, because she's been sleeping with my husband (edit to note, my real husband, not the one I live with):

angelina+jolie8.jpg

This made my day, thank you!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How cute another mean people thread...

I was just reading another thread and the lady said we'd probably all get mad at her, but she made a good point, and she was right, she did get a lot of replies claiming she was rude. But I dont think she WAS rude, she was expressing her point of view.

What I personally find "rude" or whatever, maybe not rude, but something I dont understand, is when people brag about the junk food they can eat, and exclaim they can lose weight, and are like proud of it. And then give details about all the fattening food they eat. And then belittling others because the other person cant do it but they can, and it comes off as hard for those of us who are tempted by it. I dont get this. If we are trying to lose weight, then it sorta hurts when i read about someone bragging about all this food they choose to eat, it almost is like your out with 4 friends and your trying to eat your salad, and then your "supportive" freinds, all choose to eat a huge pizza, cheese dripping cheeseburger, and a big cream pie in front of you and its like hey we can eat this, tough for you! and then gloat about how the next day they lose 5 pounds after eating all that. so those posts are hard for me to comprehend what are they doing on this site? I dont get it.

Sounds like you're projecting your own issues on others.

No....I have seen people post on how are they are mad at themselves because they made a bad food choice and someone mocks them for feeling bad about it. Then they go on to talk about their carefree weekend and how they lost weight on Monday. It's just rubbing their nose in it.

I really think you're misinterpreting those posts. It's people pointing out, "I am working out consistently and generally watch what I ate, and I can still eat things I love and lose weight and/or I had a bad day but it didn't set me back." I have seen tons of these posts, and that's generally what they're saying.

They're not rubbing anyone's nose in anything--they're doing the complete opposite by saying, "One day will not undo everything" or "If you work hard and watch what you eat, you can still eat that ice cream or those cheese fries and lose weight. I did it."

Your initial thought being that these posts were rude, and then stating that it's not rude but you don't understand it is both heartening and depressing. Heartening, because you could admit it was your own schema that made it seem rude, not necessarily the other person. Depressing, because it highlights how often people get banned/told they're rude for another person's flawed or insecure perception.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately... this site is FULL of EMOTIONALLY messed up people. Otherwise a lot of us wouldn't be where we are... Right? Some are jerks, and some take what you say as a personally attack. Anytime you post something, you must consider this is a public forum and some people will probably say something you don't want to hear. And yes, you may ask for advice, not like it, then consider someone rude for it...It's no different than walking in a crowd irl and asking advice there, or say your opinion about something.

Just gotta learn to ignore it unfortunately... you remember when you were a kid? We're adults now, I sure hope we have all learned to ignore the "bullies".

For the record, I see no issue with a topic like this :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How cute another mean people thread...

I was just reading another thread and the lady said we'd probably all get mad at her, but she made a good point, and she was right, she did get a lot of replies claiming she was rude. But I dont think she WAS rude, she was expressing her point of view.

What I personally find "rude" or whatever, maybe not rude, but something I dont understand, is when people brag about the junk food they can eat, and exclaim they can lose weight, and are like proud of it. And then give details about all the fattening food they eat. And then belittling others because the other person cant do it but they can, and it comes off as hard for those of us who are tempted by it. I dont get this. If we are trying to lose weight, then it sorta hurts when i read about someone bragging about all this food they choose to eat, it almost is like your out with 4 friends and your trying to eat your salad, and then your "supportive" freinds, all choose to eat a huge pizza, cheese dripping cheeseburger, and a big cream pie in front of you and its like hey we can eat this, tough for you! and then gloat about how the next day they lose 5 pounds after eating all that. so those posts are hard for me to comprehend what are they doing on this site? I dont get it.

Sounds like you're projecting your own issues on others.

No....I have seen people post on how are they are mad at themselves because they made a bad food choice and someone mocks them for feeling bad about it. Then they go on to talk about their carefree weekend and how they lost weight on Monday. It's just rubbing their nose in it.

I really think you're misinterpreting those posts. It's people pointing out, "I am working out consistently and generally watch what I ate, and I can still eat things I love and lose weight and/or I had a bad day but it didn't set me back." I have seen tons of these posts, and that's generally what they're saying.

They're not rubbing anyone's nose in anything--they're doing the complete opposite by saying, "One day will not undo everything" or "If you work hard and watch what you eat, you can still eat that ice cream or those cheese fries and lose weight. I did it."

Your initial thought being that these posts were rude, and then stating that it's not rude but you don't understand it is both heartening and depressing. Heartening, because you could admit it was your own schema that made it seem rude, not necessarily the other person. Depressing, because it highlights how often people get banned/told they're rude for another person's flawed or insecure perception.

:heart:
  • kookanddra
    kookanddra Posts: 92
    Options
    Cracking open a beer.

what'd I miss?

Inviting me for a beer!!! :drinker:
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else find that there are a lot of rude, obnoxious, belittling people roaming these message boards? Most of the people posting questions here have legitimate questions and need help only to get replies judging them and belittling them. Grow up people.

Hah, it's definitely NOT just you. I get where you're coming from & I notice it too. However, if you have a problem with someones remarks, you can either A. address it to them OR B. ignore it. Unfortunately, not all of us live by the phrase "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else find that there are a lot of rude, obnoxious, belittling people roaming these message boards? Most of the people posting questions here have legitimate questions and need help only to get replies judging them and belittling them. Grow up people.

Hah, it's definitely NOT just you. I get where you're coming from & I notice it too. However, if you have a problem with someones remarks, you can either A. address it to them OR B. ignore it. Unfortunately, not all of us live by the phrase "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Correct...because that was Thumper's dad's advice for juvenile rabbits. It may or may not always apply to human adults...and as we are all adults here (at least according to the ToS), sometimes adults want to express their opinions without wrapping them in sunshine and rainbows.

Well, okay, at least many of us do...

...and when we do, you can be certain that the "rude people" brigade will routinely trot us out to publicly shame us for it.

Edit: because apostrophes matter...to me.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    ... that was Thumper's dad's advice for juvenile rabbits.
    I love you.
  • nickymarie011
    Options

Correct...because that was Thumper's dad's advice for juvenile rabbits. It may or may not always apply to human adults...and as we are all adults here (at least according to the ToS), sometimes adults want to express their opinions without wrapping them in sunshine and rainbows.

...and when we do, you can be certain that the "rude people" brigade will routinely trot us out to publicly shame us for it.

Darn, then I guess I am just a juvenile rabbit. *rolls eyes* No, seriously, I was just raised to be nice to people and treat others the way I would like to be treated, Internet or not. Anywho, hope you guys all have fun continuing to flame the poor guy who posted this thread in the first place. That is real MATURE :)
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    First forum? Welcome to internet forums.

tumblr_ll64wsqzyo1qcfba3o1_500.gif

this really is the most disturbing gif ever
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Oh good, someone already brought popcorn
    7ca.gif

I lol every time I see this gif!!!
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yup, some rude people up in here. Was just thinking that myself! Oh well. And it's true it's an open sea, this internet. You get all kinds. Makes me feel a little less concerned though now that I realize it's just part of reading these MFP posts. At first, I was actually shocked at the disrespect! But after reading this thread, I realize there is an entire cult following of the ways of the rude so I now know to just be cool and scroll on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Oh no this thread again ...

In ....for "people are rude on MFP *kitten* storm and you are one of them" debate....

whoo hoooo

OP try searching "people are rude on MFP" on the handy dandy search feature and you might get some answers...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD34CtoNR80g1A6Ui6mj-b3Pu2AnCD-ki6T09SePRkS4-pRy80
    hF44EE5C9

EDIT: I forgot the :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: and a hanky

^ this gif rocks!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Darn, then I guess I am just a juvenile rabbit. *rolls eyes* No, seriously, I was just raised to be nice to people and treat others the way I would like to be treated, Internet or not. Anywho, hope you guys all have fun continuing to flame the poor guy who posted this thread in the first place. That is real MATURE :)

So you think *you* were raised to be nice and treat others the way you would like to be treated...but *I* wasn't? Interesting. I guess if it helps you feel better about the situation by believing that I (and others like me) are just bad people, then you do what you need to do. It's okay. I'll be alright.

And yes, I will continue to respond to hypocritical threads calling people names just because OP disagrees with their tone. I was raised to not let that kind of rank hypocrisy go unchallenged...and I will especially not be silent when the apparent target of it is someone I consider a friend.

All that said, you can still call me 'flower'...

...if you want to.

I don't mind.

:flowerforyou:
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    how-rude-o.gif

i was waiting for this!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_mg2rrm3Rbm1r2mou0o1_400.gif

Perfect!

I don't think that people are being rude. I can admit that I am clueless when it comes to half of this stuff. I have a friend who I'm pretty sure slams her head on a desk everytime when I ask her questions. What I think happens more and more is people want fitness/health to just come naturally to them and when it doesn't they take everyone advise as rude. If you aren't willing to help yourself why would you expect someone else to help you?

Someone gives advice and half the time the people who are getting offended just say "well that is too hard" or "you don't understand b/c you haven't been fat" or whatever else is said. If you ask for help then accept it. What people are saying has worked for them. It may not work for you, but don't argue. If they look better than you, or are healthier than you, chances are they probably know a thing or two about how to get/stay in shape.
  • nickymarie011
    Options

So you think *you* were raised to be nice and treat others the way you would like to be treated...but *I* wasn't? Interesting. I guess if it helps you feel better about the situation by believing that I (and others like me) are just bad people, then you do what you need to do. It's okay. I'll be alright.

And yes, I will continue to respond to hypocritical threads calling people names just because OP disagrees with their tone. I was raised to not let that kind of rank hypocrisy go unchallenged...and I will especially not be silent when the apparent target of it is someone I consider a friend.

All that said, you can still call me 'flower'...

...if you want to.

I don't mind.

:flowerforyou:

Oh dear, I never said YOU were not raised to be nice. It was a general statement. I am sure you were raised well. Though, it is quite obvious that you have a different and more sarcastic approach with how you express yourself. Sure, some people may take offense to that, because they simply do not have the same approach as you and do not understand your personality. Some folks are more sensitive than others. Personally, I can take peoples crap, because I have thick skin. I also can give it back, if need be. However, when it comes to people picking on someone for NO reason, that is when I really see a problem. Whether I am in the minority with how I feel is irrelevant because I have a mind of my own. I will ALWAYS stick up for the underdog, even if I am the only one sticking up for that person.

And...I honestly have no idea where the name calling thing came from, but I definitely did not call anyone a name. Hopefully that statement was not in reference to me. Name calling is not this girls style ;)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Oh, Jof! You so silly.

tumblr_lovm1zXf781qznx1ro1_500.gif