To everyone struggling to lose weight

Options
This documentary explains why we have such a hard time losing weight and why we are hungry all the time. Its a must watch for anyone struggling with weight loss. A really eye opening video! One of the best I've seen.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If it says cos you eat too much and move too little I'm in

Otherwise not
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Robert Lustig is a contributor, I'm out!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I made it through 10 minutes

• shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Its basically getting to the heart of why its so difficult for people to eat less and exercise more.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    No it's not

It's drivel
  • shamani5
    Options
    I like Robert lustig. He makes sense to me.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    shamani5 wrote: »
    Its basically getting to the heart of why its so difficult for people to eat less and exercise more.

But why is it harder for people to eat less and exercise more?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I stopped at "a calorie is not a calorie"

A calorie is a unit of measurement like a cm or a kg

It just is

It has no bearing on nutritional qualities

• Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry there are a whole raft of these pseudo-scientific easily digested mockumentaries out there ...it's really easy to buy into them because they tell us what we want to hear

They tell us to believe: it's not my fault, it's too tough, everyone is in the same boat

But it is our fault. It is tough but possible and everyone can do it when they find a way of eating they can commit to which helps them meet their calorie needs
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    v38bq4aupnra.gif

My jimmies are rustled.
  • enemyger
    enemyger Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry there are a whole raft of these pseudo-scientific easily digested mockumentaries out there ...it's really easy to buy into them because they tell us what we want to hear

They tell us to believe: it's not my fault, it's too tough, everyone is in the same boat

But it is our fault. It is tough but possible and everyone can do it when they find a way of eating they can commit to which helps them meet their calorie needs

This basically...
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    What we consume and our own weight is one of the few things we actually have total control over, for the most part. The problem is documentaries like these and all the scrambled, messed up information that's out there that wants us to believe we don't. And we want to believe we don't because it's easier that way.
  • shamani5
    Options
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.
  • silverspring47
    silverspring47 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

It just is

Having not watched this documentary...
    How do u feel about Negative Calories?
    I.e., an apple is 60, but takes your body 70 calories to properly digest it. So eating an apple = 10 calorie burn ...

Just interested on your take
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Sugar is not the problem, over consumption is the problem.
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options

It just is

Having not watched this documentary...
    How do u feel about Negative Calories?
    I.e., an apple is 60, but takes your body 70 calories to properly digest it. So eating an apple = 10 calorie burn ...

Just interested on your take

:bigsmile:

My take is that kind of nonsense is how people get fat
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    shamani5 wrote: »
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.

Insulin is a natural hormone with a job to do ...you've just described part of its job ...that's what it is meant to do in a healthy body. Fat storage only happens when there are excess calories. And you know protein caused an insulin response too, right?

Identifying insulin and it's natural role as concerning is itself concerning

If limiting sugar works for you personally to get your calories in control then that's great ...I will assume you mean added sugar that are added to fats, carbs and proteins to make highly palatable foods and not fruit, dairy, vegetables
  • shamani5
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    What we consume and our own weight is one of the few things we actually have total control over, for the most part. The problem is documentaries like these and all the scrambled, messed up information that's out there that wants us to believe we don't. And we want to believe we don't because it's easier that way.

On the contrary, learning about the effects different foods have on our body can allow us to have more control over our health.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lustig is a quack and one of the biggest woo peddlers. And for that reason....

image.png?w=500&c=1
  • shamani5
    Options
    Protein when eaten by itself does not cause insulin to rise. Protein keeps blood sugar steady. There is nothing wrong with insulin doing its job. The issue is too much sugar causing unwanted weight gain.