To everyone struggling to lose weight

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I find many high-carb foods like pastas to be extremely filling.

Likewise pizza and ice cream. Preferably in the same evening.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more drivel to make obese people to sound like victims of the food industry by placing the blame on something other than the person.

I find taking personal responsibility for my choices that brought me to this point much more powerful than playing the victim and blaming others. At least now I know that I'm in full control to do something about it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    shamani5 wrote: »
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.

The opinion that reducing sugar intake is not looked upon positively on the main boards. Unfortunately any science that supports that is often labelled pseudo science, or the studies are deemed poor. I agree with you but I doubt that you will find any support here.

The Low Carber Daily, eat clean or paleo groups are where like minded people tend to go to.

Eliminating sugar is not looked upon positively.

That too, but a thread about reducing sugars is often met with arguments. Just look at this thread. Lots of earlier arguments against sugar reduction; you were the one to bring up eliminating sugars.

My point was that you were saying that people on mfp argue against reducing sugars and I am saying no, most argue against eliminating sugar. I was in no way saying that this post argued against eliminating all sugar. I was arguing about your portrayal of others.

The fact of the matter is that most people who eat in moderation advocate eliminating calories in a way that leaves you satiated and meets your macros. In general, this means reducing some of the higher calorie items from your meal plan which will mean reducing treats, and reducing portion sizes, as necessary to accomplish that goal.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry there are a whole raft of these pseudo-scientific easily digested mockumentaries out there ...it's really easy to buy into them because they tell us what we want to hear

They tell us to believe: it's not my fault, it's too tough, everyone is in the same boat

But it is our fault. It is tough but possible and everyone can do it when they find a way of eating they can commit to which helps them meet their calorie needs

I like your style
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Protein when eaten by itself does not cause insulin to rise. Protein keeps blood sugar steady. There is nothing wrong with insulin doing its job. The issue is too much sugar causing unwanted weight gain.

Not correct. Here's a "popular" source on the subject that gives a good overview.
    And here's one with peer reviewed references at the end.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy?

OMG, yes! Those stupid, freakin hoverboards (sorry, don't mean to offend if anyone has one/likes them) should be evidence of that. People are too lazy to walk anywhere, now we need to step on our hoverboards. I know people who use these in their offices to go down the hall and my college students use them to go to class, when they're slower than walking (among the massive crowd of students). OH! And the worse offense--riding the hoverboard to the campus rec center to work out. I mean, c'mon!

It's not everyone, but our lifestyles are getting less and less conducive to movement unless you make the conscious choice to be active. Amazon delivers stuff right to your door within an hour or two now! No more going to the store if you're willing to pay for the "convenience."

#smh
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy?

OMG, yes! Those stupid, freakin hoverboards (sorry, don't mean to offend if anyone has one/likes them) should be evidence of that. People are too lazy to walk anywhere, now we need to step on our hoverboards. I know people who use these in their offices to go down the hall and my college students use them to go to class, when they're slower than walking (among the massive crowd of students). OH! And the worse offense--riding the hoverboard to the campus rec center to work out. I mean, c'mon!

It's not everyone, but our lifestyles are getting less and less conducive to movement unless you make the conscious choice to be active. Amazon delivers stuff right to your door within an hour or two now! No more going to the store if you're willing to pay for the "convenience."

#smh

I get irrationally angry at the hover board things, too. It's not like anyone's forcing me to use it, so it shouldn't matter to me, but just the fact that they exist makes me a bit disgusted.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I find many high-carb foods like pastas to be extremely filling.

Likewise pizza and ice cream. Preferably in the same evening.

You've been reading my diet diary haven't you :smiley:

I admit I buy almost everything at Amazon, but it's the fact that buying most kinds of things would be a 40+ minute drive for me to get to the store - I live in a small village with some local shops, but they really only carry the basics.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

I admit I buy almost everything at Amazon, but it's the fact that buying most kinds of things would be a 40+ minute drive for me to get to the store - I live in a small village with some local shops, but they really only carry the basics.

That makes sense. Around here, for the average able-bodied person--no excuse. I live in a culturally diverse, major metropolitan area. Any kind of food or grocery or anything is a stone's throw away. And I have terrible aim!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What are these hover boards you speak of?? Do you guys live in the future?
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options

They're calling them hover boards, but they're boards with 2 wheels (and possibly a battery? saw a video of one that caught fire and the dude said the battery shot out). They do not hover.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    wrenak wrote: »

They're calling them hover boards, but they're boards with 2 wheels (and possibly a battery? saw a video of one that caught fire and the dude said the battery shot out). They do not hover.

Aah ok thanks. I was thinking of "back to the future" movie lol
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

No, although BTTF did promise us hover boards in 2015. This guy here is probably the only person who should be allowed to use the two wheeled things.

tumblr_nx02oa9JhA1uni7lmo1_400.gif
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

That makes sense. Around here, for the average able-bodied person--no excuse. I live in a culturally diverse, major metropolitan area. Any kind of food or grocery or anything is a stone's throw away. And I have terrible aim!

Same problem here, large, spread-out, sprawling suburbia in Colorado (We don't build anything tall here for some reason...). You can't function out here without a vehicle or bike, and even a bicycle is a stretch. It would take me an hour to get to the closest grocery store by foot, and probably 4 hours by foot to get to work. My husband would get to his job at 3pm if he left here on foot at 9am, then have to turn right around and come back. And our public transportation is a JOKE. Hardly any taxis, the buses run MAYBE twice every four hours down here south of denver, and the lightrail is only along I25. When I was without a car, it took me 2 hours to get to work, via two buses and two different light rail trains and it cost me $12 a day. I made $8/hr at the time. JOKE. All hail the mighty automobile, and thank god for treadmills.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, Low-Carb, Low-Fat, 5:2, Low sugar, no sugar, cabbage soup, the grapefruit diet, meal replacement, appetite suppressant, Alli, liquid diet, juicing, the zone, the master cleanse, gluten free, something or another-free, very low-whatever is the enemy of the moment...

If someone can honestly say that they are losing weight with CI > CO then I'll reconsider removing an entire food group from my diet and actually even continuing to use MFP at all. f CICO doesn't work what's the point of MFP

Otherwise I consider that all those are lifestyle choices; you know, like vegan don't eat animals for reasons that have nothing to do with weight loss. And if you are doing those FOR weight loss, as @rabbitjb said, you've found a way of eating you can commit to which helps you meet your calories needs
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.

The opinion that reducing sugar intake is not looked upon positively on the main boards. Unfortunately any science that supports that is often labelled pseudo science, or the studies are deemed poor. I agree with you but I doubt that you will find any support here.

The Low Carber Daily, eat clean or paleo groups are where like minded people tend to go to.

^^^^^This sentiment that sugar in any form needs to be eliminated has emerged VERY strongly in recent times on MFP....

This puzzles me, as how or the bigger question Why does one even attempt to remove ALL sources of sugar in their diets....OK added sugars yes if you so desire but the naturally occurring ones in fruits and vegetables and whole grains, beans and legumes.....that is such an enormous nutrient vacuum to fill.

How does one get the necessary vitamins, minerals etc without fruit and vegetables????

I couldn't do it. I could live without my cookies at the end of the day, but my yogurt (which is plain)? My veggies? My berries? My lentils? My gluten-free oats?

That's my whole diet.

Interestingly, what is generally regarded as one of the healthiest diets in the world is rich in veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and fruits. It's the Mediterranean Diet.

This fact is ignored by those advocating for the elimination of ALL sugars. It's inconceivable to me.

Eliminate added sugars if you want, but going after the sugar in dairy, fruit and veggies is a step too far to recommend to other people.

Thank you PeachyCarol. I live in Italy where the Mediterranean Diet is king. People are in alot better shape here, even with eating all that pasta, pizza and bread--go figure. I won't even mention the sweets eaten here (much smaller portions than the States though). I've noticed that it's the newer posters pushing the "sugar and carbs are the devil" agenda. The veterans are the voice of reason--lurkers take note.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to talk about the diet of elite Kenyan athletes. Americans would say they eat 80:20 For them they just eat FOOD. Like their parents and parents' parents before them were eat. And the 80:20 is 80% carbs a lot of which is actual sugar because they drink a lot of sweetened tea.
    Have you ever seen a fat Kenyan elite athlete? No? And why is that? You think possibly it is reasonable to think it might have anything to do with how much they exercise? Maybe?

OK. Now we are not talking about their long-term health or anything. We are just discussing the argument 'sugar is evil and leads to obesity and we are victims and nothing we can do about it'
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

No, although BTTF did promise us hover boards in 2015. This guy here is probably the only person who should be allowed to use the two wheeled things.

tumblr_nx02oa9JhA1uni7lmo1_400.gif

I will admit that I am lazy, I will own that fact. And OMG I MUST OWN THAT!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

^^^^^This sentiment that sugar in any form needs to be eliminated has emerged VERY strongly in recent times on MFP....

This puzzles me, as how or the bigger question Why does one even attempt to remove ALL sources of sugar in their diets....OK added sugars yes if you so desire but the naturally occurring ones in fruits and vegetables and whole grains, beans and legumes.....that is such an enormous nutrient vacuum to fill.

How does one get the necessary vitamins, minerals etc without fruit and vegetables????

I couldn't do it. I could live without my cookies at the end of the day, but my yogurt (which is plain)? My veggies? My berries? My lentils? My gluten-free oats?

That's my whole diet.

Interestingly, what is generally regarded as one of the healthiest diets in the world is rich in veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and fruits. It's the Mediterranean Diet.

This fact is ignored by those advocating for the elimination of ALL sugars. It's inconceivable to me.

Eliminate added sugars if you want, but going after the sugar in dairy, fruit and veggies is a step too far to recommend to other people.

Thank you PeachyCarol. I live in Italy where the Mediterranean Diet is king. People are in alot better shape here, even with eating all that pasta, pizza and bread--go figure. I won't even mention the sweets eaten here (much smaller portions than the States though). I've noticed that it's the newer posters pushing the "sugar and carbs are the devil" agenda. The veterans are the voice of reason--lurkers take note.

+1 on this.

PS - welcome back!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That too, but a thread about reducing sugars is often met with arguments. Just look at this thread. Lots of earlier arguments against sugar reduction; you were the one to bring up eliminating sugars.

If that was what you took home after the exhausting 2 threads from just a couple days back, I think I'm going to spend my time on more productive things than talking with you from now on.