To everyone struggling to lose weight

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Robert Lustig is a contributor, I'm out!

Same here.
  • SLLRunner
    shamani5 wrote: »
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.

100 calories of spinach is the same as 100 calories of a cookie when it comes to weight loss.

However, nutritionally they are not the same.

The reason people keep getting fatter is because they are eating too much food, and the reason they are getting sicker is because obesity causes multiple health problems.

Unless you have a medical issue requiring you to limit sugar, doing so is a personal choice. I understand for you it's the "path of least resistance for you," but it's certainly not the same for everyone.

I lose 44 pounds eating real foods, including sugar, and I have been maintaining for about 2 years. :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited December 2015
    Ofcoarse a calorie is a calorie but hes obviously talking about a calorie of food in terms of effect on the body.
    What then is the true science? Which health docs aren't mockumentaries? and if its right then how come everyone keeps getting fatter and sicker? Is everyone just lazy? Does sugar not cause insulin to rise? And does insulin not cause fat storage? How can a calorie of protein be equal to a calorie of sugar in terms of effect on the body when one causes fat storage and the other does not? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of counting calories I just believe the path of least resistance for weight loss is limiting sugar intake.

More the most part yes.

A calorie is a calorie for weight loss, for health they are different.

Who is Robert lustig anyways?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    The reason why these ploys work is because, for the most part, people just aren't paying attention.
    They buy and eat food according to their emotions and impulses, not according to what they know is healthy and will help them meet their goals. Food companies and advertisers are counting on this.
    But here's the thing: We aren't in the helpless grasp of our emotions and impulses, or at least we don't have to be. We are in full of our own faculties, well able to resist temptation, when and if we choose to do so.
    They are free to try to tempt us, but to say that we are not free to resist is utter nonsense.
  • baroquepop
    baroquepop Posts: 34 Member
    From my reading on this topic, that SO many foods have sugar added to them means we eat hidden sugars much more frequently than we think. Aside from obviously sweetened foods there is sugar added as a flavor enhancement or as a preservative to most store (& many restaurant) bought foods.

I've read more closely labels of foods that are processed that I didn't expect to have sugar. It's shocking.

Like bread, mayonnaise, chips, spaghetti sauce, croutons - these are just some that have sugars added to them that I might have purchased and wouldn't expect as a source of sugar.

We know the usual items like sugared coffee drinks, smoothies, flavored yogurts, etc. and can limit them. And a teaspoon/tablespoon here or there isn't really the problem but sweetened cereals, breads, etc. add up when you don't know how much sugar you're getting.

It does a number on your insulin & other hormones impacting health and energy in complex ways. That's the point of the film from what I take.

Especially important for someone who is doing a lot right and still holding onto weight to investigate these factors and for children to be protected from the commercial food industry.

Thanks for sharing it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    "The whole world" "Pandemic" That's where I stopped. Pretty sure starving pregnant mothers in rural Togo don't appreciate the insinuation that this very first world white people problem is something that has anything to do with them. If I was them, I'd be really offended that he's sitting there saying it's a pandemic while I ate bugs (It's quite effective, please don't mistake this for judgement, I promise it's awe) trying to get enough protein to give birth to a living child. Maybe he corrects this later in the video, to be fair I didn't sit through it, but for real fellow white people, ain't we done enough damage already? We can't step back the rhetoric arrogance for 30 seconds to not project our own issues onto the rest of the planet?
  • baroquepop
    Btw, University of California San Francisco (UCSF) for those who don't know is one of the very best medical centers and hospitals in the U.S. and Dr. Robert Lustig is a doctor of endocrinology at UCSF. The video is a production of the University of California system - UCTV is University of California television. Check em out. Lots of good information based on scientific research.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The opinion that reducing sugar intake is not looked upon positively on the main boards. Unfortunately any science that supports that is often labelled pseudo science, or the studies are deemed poor. I agree with you but I doubt that you will find any support here.

The Low Carber Daily, eat clean or paleo groups are where like minded people tend to go to.

Eliminating sugar is not looked upon positively.

^^^^^This sentiment that sugar in any form needs to be eliminated has emerged VERY strongly in recent times on MFP....

This puzzles me, as how or the bigger question Why does one even attempt to remove ALL sources of sugar in their diets....OK added sugars yes if you so desire but the naturally occurring ones in fruits and vegetables and whole grains, beans and legumes.....that is such an enormous nutrient vacuum to fill.

How does one get the necessary vitamins, minerals etc without fruit and vegetables????

I couldn't do it. I could live without my cookies at the end of the day, but my yogurt (which is plain)? My veggies? My berries? My lentils? My gluten-free oats?

That's my whole diet.

Interestingly, what is generally regarded as one of the healthiest diets in the world is rich in veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and fruits. It's the Mediterranean Diet.

This fact is ignored by those advocating for the elimination of ALL sugars. It's inconceivable to me.

Eliminate added sugars if you want, but going after the sugar in dairy, fruit and veggies is a step too far to recommend to other people.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Proponents of the low carb diet say they are less hungry and therefore eat less calories.

In general, the studies I've seen that try to quantify what influences satiety show carbs have very little, if any, direct effect. The most important factors:

Protein strongly increases satiety
    Fiber strongly increases satiety
    Calorie density strongly decreases satiety
    Fat somewhat decreases satiety

Carbs, of course, have an effect in that they can quickly raise calorie density - but so can fats. It's usually the combination of sugars and fats that are the most calorie dense foods.

I find many high-carb foods like pastas to be extremely filling.

There's one study floating around somewhere that found the most satiating food to be the humble potato.

It's certainly true for me. I also find a big bowl of popcorn (air-popped and lightly misted with butter spray) to be very, very filling.
  • baroquepop
    edited December 2015
    Eliminate all sugars? No one is suggesting that. Well this thread about this video isn't.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

The opinion that reducing sugar intake is not looked upon positively on the main boards. Unfortunately any science that supports that is often labelled pseudo science, or the studies are deemed poor. I agree with you but I doubt that you will find any support here.

The Low Carber Daily, eat clean or paleo groups are where like minded people tend to go to.

That too, but a thread about reducing sugars is often met with arguments. Just look at this thread. Lots of earlier arguments against sugar reduction; you were the one to bring up eliminating sugars.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    baroquepop wrote: »
    Btw, University of California San Francisco (UCSF) for those who don't know is one of the very best medical centers and hospitals in the U.S. and Dr. Robert Lustig is a doctor of endocrinology at UCSF. The video is a production of the University of California system - UCTV is University of California television. Check em out. Lots of good information based on scientific research.

You might be interested in these

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/
  • SLLRunner

That too, but a thread about reducing sugars is often met with arguments. Just look at this thread. Lots of earlier arguments against sugar reduction; you were the one to bring up eliminating sugars.

Nah, the arguments in this thread are that sugar does not make you fat, eating too much food does.

Here's the deal. It's true.

Reduce added sugar if that works for you (you in general, not you personally), but you will only lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. I would think that reducing added sugar would be for personal health reasons, especially if it does make you hungry more often, or you feel lethargic after eating that pie, or too buzzed eating that double chocolate cake (I suspect that it would be the caffeine in the chocolate that got ya buzzed instead of the sugar).

In fact, the absolute requirement of weight loss is a calorie deficit, but how you get there is either preference or doctor's orders due to a medical issue.
  • SLLRunner
    I eat carbs and sugar every day also and am losing a pound a week. The problem lies in excess sugar which also causes hunger as well as fat storage. Of coarse a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight. But for a lot of people limiting sugar will help create a much more sustainable diet because losing weight and keeping it off always comes back to the right amount of calories. And sticking with the right amount of calories is very difficult if your hungry all the time. Proponents of the low carb diet say they are less hungry and therefore eat less calories.

I lost my weight eating a balanced diet of all things and was never overly hungry. I don't do hunger well.

The same here, and it includes both natural and added sugar.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    baroquepop wrote: »

You might be interested in these

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

". I’m sure many would think that his style is annoyingly smug and preachy, but I find it entertaining. "

Ha ha ha! That's the first thing I got out of the video! I'm sure he's a decent human being with good intentions, but yeah, preachy.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    "Lustig insufficiently addresses the ‘energy out’ side of the equation. According to the research, it’s possible that over the last couple of decades, we’ve become more sedentary. "

". The thing is, he uses data spanning from 1989-1995"

Ain't Hindsight bias a top?

2qjwh92rmn8y.jpg

• shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    xabmaefvcymo.jpg

Couldnt resist
  • SLLRunner
    xabmaefvcymo.jpg

Couldnt resist

What a cute gif! Now I'm going to make my ginger tea....
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited December 2015
    Protein when eaten by itself does not cause insulin to rise.

FALSE. This study - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf - proves you completely wrong. The insulin index on page 8 shows that the Insulin Score on beef (51) is higher than that of white pasta (40). This is the study used as the reference on the wikipedia link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index - on insulin index of foods.

Here's a quote from the discussion section of the study:
    .... pasta, oatmeal porridge and All-Bran cereal produced relatively low insulin responses, despite their high carbohydrate contents.
    ... However, some protein and fat-rich foods (eggs, beef, fish, lentils, cheese, cake and
    doughnuts) induced as much insulin secretion as did some carbohydrate-rich foods (eg, beef was equal to brown rice and fish was equal to grain bread)....
    Hmm, interesting no?

The issue is too much sugar causing unwanted weight gain.
    Also FALSE. My diet is very high (75%+) in carbs, which all converts to sugar. It's mainly from whole foods like white and sweet potatoes, wheat flour, rice, quinoa, oatmeal, beans, lentils, fruits etc. I also add sugar to fresh juices, smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, coffee, tea etc. I go through a 4 lb bag of sugar every month, which is a lot. And yet, I've been able to lose nearly 30 lbs this year.

I started at 152 and I'm now at 125 (I'm 5'5"). I've lost 6 inches from my waist, 6 from my hips, 6 from my belly, 3 from my thighs and 3 from my arms. I eat foods I enjoy and exercise and create a deficit and lose weight. I'll also add that despite my high sugar/carbs, my fasting blood glucose 2 months ago was 70 (normal range is 65-99), so clearly, my pancreas are functioning perfectly.

The video you posted was full of so much misinformation and flat out rubbish. I stopped when he said 'obesity chooses you, you don't choose it'. No, 99% of the time, WE are choosing to eat more and exercise less=obesity.
  • SLLRunner
    Protein when eaten by itself does not cause insulin to rise.

FALSE. This study - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf - proves you completely wrong. The insulin index on page 8 shows that the Insulin Score on beef (51) is higher than that of white pasta (40). This is the study used as the reference on the wikipedia link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index - on insulin index of foods.

Here's a quote from the discussion section of the study:
    .... pasta, oatmeal porridge and All-Bran cereal produced relatively low insulin responses, despite their high carbohydrate contents.
    ... However, some protein and fat-rich foods (eggs, beef, fish, lentils, cheese, cake and
    doughnuts) induced as much insulin secretion as did some carbohydrate-rich foods (eg, beef was equal to brown rice and fish was equal to grain bread)....
    Hmm, interesting no?

The issue is too much sugar causing unwanted weight gain.
    Also FALSE. My diet is very high (75%+) in carbs, which all converts to sugar. It's mainly from whole foods like white and sweet potatoes, wheat flour, rice, quinoa, oatmeal, beans, lentils, fruits etc. I also add sugar to fresh juices, smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, coffee, tea etc. I go through a 4 lb bag of sugar every month, which is a lot. And yet, I've been able to lose nearly 30 lbs this year.

I started at 152 and I'm now at 125 (I'm 5'5"). I've lost 6 inches from my waist, 6 from my hips, 6 from my belly, 3 from my thighs and 3 from my arms. I eat foods I enjoy and exercise and create a deficit and lose weight. I'll also add that despite my high sugar/carbs, my fasting blood glucose 2 months ago was 70 (normal range is 65-99), so clearly, my pancreas are functioning perfectly.

The video you posted was full of so much misinformation and flat out rubbish. I stopped when he said 'obesity chooses you, you don't choose it'. No, 99% of the time, WE are choosing to eat more and exercise less=obesity.

Yeah...this is cosigned with a solid stamp of approval.