Is divorce on the rise?

Options
124»

Replies

• BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    I'm from the "happily divorced" crowd and reposting my thoughts.

I married young at 24 - we crossed paths from the time I was 10 yo - and didn't realize the warning signs that I ignored because "love is blind" and I was naive. A kid later, I decided to tough it out like my mother (who is still married to my father at 42 years), but my patience for bull$h!t got low. 7 years of officially being married, of that a 3 year separation and many failed attempts at a reconcilation, I knew I had to make the decision to raise a daughter better than how I was raised and decided to officially get divorced. For my situation, I felt 2 happy homes were better than 1 miserable home. Coparenting is not a walk in the park though, but there are not so bad days, as well. My daughter has adjusted quite well and is constantly reminded how much she is loved by myself and her dad.

Getting a divorce was one of the best decisions I've ever made toward my own happiness and my daughter's future.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm on my fourth go round.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

So third time isn't always the charm
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options

What a great institution... Obviously works and means something. lol
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Wonder how the other half make it work in a single marriage.
    Weird, right?

• LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    They cheat with MFP but are still married
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Wonder how the other half make it work in a single marriage.
    Weird, right?

I imagine it's pretty much like everything else in life. Some are willing to put forth the effort and work through hard times instead of throwing their hands up and quitting every time something doesn't go their way.
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    People not willing to tough it out and work out there problems. Selfishness and people putting priorities of success and money over love and family. And also, availability and willingness of people to sleep with married men and or women!
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mrj183 wrote: »
    its been 6 months for me and im only just starting to feel like....i should move on.

Been 6 months for me too it gets better.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

After you go through your third divorce you kind of have to step back and take a look at the common denominator. Me. A little self assessment helped me realize I was a selfish, self-centered dlckhead. Once I figured that out, it still took a while to make the necessary changes, but, once I started trying a little harder, plus meet someone that inspired me to want to change, I started to become a better person. Next year, I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary with my wife.

• maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options

After you go through your third divorce you kind of have to step back and take a look at the common denominator. Me. A little self assessment helped me realize I was a selfish, self-centered dlckhead. Once I figured that out, it still took a while to make the necessary changes, but, once I started trying a little harder, plus meet someone that inspired me to want to change, I started to become a better person. Next year, I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary with my wife.

Congradulations on your 25 years!

I spent 4 years separated, self assessing and admitting to myself my issues, too bad he didn't use that time to do the same thing.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

There is a man who gets "it!" congrats, sir!