Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    What is the deal with Old Navy? I'm 5'3" and 115, usually wear 0-2 or XS. Yes, I shop at Old Navy and Gap, but need the same sizes if I go to Walmart or Target. Sometimes, I go for junior's (maybe JC Penney or similar) and need 3-5. Target stuff usually doesn't fit, though. Their XS tops are too big, and the pants are made too skinny in the lower leg (I have muscles). I do have a cute dress from Target, size XS. It might be junior's, not sure.

In to hear what the deal is with Old Navy, and also to say that I find Target clothes kinda strange. They don't fit me. What is up with that?

I like reading all the stats, but it can set up some negative comparisons (personally)... I really hate my gut area. I almost wonder if it's genetic - my aunts all had thick middles. I work out with resistance bands & light weights, starting to add very light running... need to get a barbell to lift or something. Deathly afraid of injury (history of back injuries) and way too timid for a gym.

I'd also like to know about Old Navy. I wear the same sizes there that I do everywhere else, but I ALWAYS hear about ON "vanity sizing" like crazy. I've also heard someone say one time that Old Navy was "the fat ladies version of Gap" and I wanted to slap them!!!

I can't talk for everyone, but the time I bought pants at ON I was fitting in a 2, and I was wearing a 8 of my favorite jeans brand (Lee) at the time. And I have a medium/large frame, I'm 34 D so not exactly flat, and I fit in some of their XS tops just fine (but for their tanks I feel more comfortable in S or M). And their S dresses fit perfectly.

I honestly wonder what thin women can actually wear there (I'm 34/30/36 so not quite thin). Quite sure I'd be a L or something in Europe.

Someone commented about muffin tops - with my build (hear - wide waist and most of the leftover fat in the midsection) I pretty much always end up with one. I can't wear low rise jeans because they look ridiculous, but my high rise 6s are a bit loose (I can take them off without unbuttoning them) and STILL give me a bit of a muffin top, while too loose on the butt and legs. I think it's a losing battle, I can't imagine losing more body fat because the rest of my body is seriously getting skinny, so I just blame genetics (my mom is the same shape, but she's always been overweight, so I don't have much to compare to, and my twin sister is bigger than me).

Just a question, if you measure 34 across the bust how can you be a 34d bra size? You would have to measure 38 inches to be that (and 34 inches below the bust)?

You're probably right. I honestly don't know how to measure my bust, so it's probably 38? I always assumed that the number was your bust measurement, I guess I was wrong. I know it depends a lot on the bra brand though...

Girl, you must be wearing the wrong size bra: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide
    A bra that fits correctly is so much more comfortable.

No they fit fine! I haven't measured myself, just tried a few at the store to find the size that fit the best.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    5'11 230ish lbs.
    Pants: 38 usually (Levi's 501 or 513). 36 if the pant is more casual/loose/baggy etc. Probably 40 for a suit pant.
    Shirts: L of the the designer was a little generous (button up shirts seem to be). XL if not (t-shirts and polos for some reason, fabric maybe?)
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    5'8"
    172.5 lbs
    BFP: 27% and decreasing! :)
    Mostly size 10 pants, a few 8s
    M tops, sometimes I need a L

I kind of have a swimmer's body: broad shoulders, narrower hips, but still fleshy arms and legs - still nothing like an apple shape.
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    5'2" 131 small frame 36-27-35 size 4 pants and small tops
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Have y'all ever heard of Kibbe types? This guy wrote this book in the 80s about different body types and I find it so interesting. It sounds like there's some body curiosity here and I thought you all may appreciate it. The book is called Metamorphosis by David Kibbe, but its out of print. However, there are active online groups that use the info to analyze their body types and choose clothing and other style elements accordingly.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    God I hate the inconsistency between clothing sizes. I read somewhere that manufacturers cut clothes from a stack of textiles, so the sizes from top to bottom aren't the same. Similar to cutting a stack of paper, sizes aren't going to be uniform even within the same brand.

5'2"
    120 - 125ish lbs
    37 - 26 - 36
    US sizing, my closet ranges from 0 (Old Navy) to 6 (H&M), though I'm generally a 4. I also have an XL top that fits like a glove from a Korean retailer, lol.

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    5' 7" (maybe 5' 6.75" I haven't been measured in a long time I could be shrinking with age :smile: )
    127 (average)
    I wear size 5-6 but I think I could squeeze into a 4 if I tried. I try not to dwell on clothing size because I have 3 daughters. I am trying to not worry about size but being healthy with them. We are focusing on being healthy/eating healthy and eating unhealthy things we like in moderation.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    What is the deal with Old Navy? I'm 5'3" and 115, usually wear 0-2 or XS. Yes, I shop at Old Navy and Gap, but need the same sizes if I go to Walmart or Target. Sometimes, I go for junior's (maybe JC Penney or similar) and need 3-5. Target stuff usually doesn't fit, though. Their XS tops are too big, and the pants are made too skinny in the lower leg (I have muscles). I do have a cute dress from Target, size XS. It might be junior's, not sure.

In to hear what the deal is with Old Navy, and also to say that I find Target clothes kinda strange. They don't fit me. What is up with that?

I like reading all the stats, but it can set up some negative comparisons (personally)... I really hate my gut area. I almost wonder if it's genetic - my aunts all had thick middles. I work out with resistance bands & light weights, starting to add very light running... need to get a barbell to lift or something. Deathly afraid of injury (history of back injuries) and way too timid for a gym.

I'd also like to know about Old Navy. I wear the same sizes there that I do everywhere else, but I ALWAYS hear about ON "vanity sizing" like crazy. I've also heard someone say one time that Old Navy was "the fat ladies version of Gap" and I wanted to slap them!!!

I can't talk for everyone, but the time I bought pants at ON I was fitting in a 2, and I was wearing a 8 of my favorite jeans brand (Lee) at the time. And I have a medium/large frame, I'm 34 D so not exactly flat, and I fit in some of their XS tops just fine (but for their tanks I feel more comfortable in S or M). And their S dresses fit perfectly.

I honestly wonder what thin women can actually wear there (I'm 34/30/36 so not quite thin). Quite sure I'd be a L or something in Europe.

Someone commented about muffin tops - with my build (hear - wide waist and most of the leftover fat in the midsection) I pretty much always end up with one. I can't wear low rise jeans because they look ridiculous, but my high rise 6s are a bit loose (I can take them off without unbuttoning them) and STILL give me a bit of a muffin top, while too loose on the butt and legs. I think it's a losing battle, I can't imagine losing more body fat because the rest of my body is seriously getting skinny, so I just blame genetics (my mom is the same shape, but she's always been overweight, so I don't have much to compare to, and my twin sister is bigger than me).

Just a question, if you measure 34 across the bust how can you be a 34d bra size? You would have to measure 38 inches to be that (and 34 inches below the bust)?

You're probably right. I honestly don't know how to measure my bust, so it's probably 38? I always assumed that the number was your bust measurement, I guess I was wrong. I know it depends a lot on the bra brand though...

Girl, you must be wearing the wrong size bra: https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide

No they fit fine! I haven't measured myself, just tried a few at the store to find the size that fit the best.

That sounds about right. I fit a 34d when my underbust was 29/30 and over was 38/39 inches. Now I'm about 27.5 under and 32 over, wear 30d.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

That sounds about right. I fit a 34d when my underbust was 29/30 and over was 38/39 inches. Now I'm about 27.5 under and 32 over, wear 30d.

I don't have much fat left on my ribcage and upper back, so I'm not getting smaller. Large frames suck!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I find this interesting because my measurements and your clothing sizes don't match.

5'10" 151 pounds.
    38/29/39
    Small or medium tops and medium bottoms if it's sized that way. Size 10 usually. Expensive clothes size 8. Old clothes size 12 (sizing has changed.

I am 5'7" 162 pounds and we could share closets, except I only buy medium tops now. I have some small tops, but they are tight across the shoulders since I started lifting a year ago.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5", 120lbs and a comfortable UK size 8.
  • vessiangel
    vessiangel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6, 130 lb, 8%bf. Pants size 0/2, tops S if I want a tight fit, but I am more comfortable with M.
  • Calmquiet
    Calmquiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    5'9" 160 pounds and wear a US size medium to large top with around size 12 jeans. My legs could fit into smaller pants but my larger hips make it so I have to buy looser jeans to fit my hips.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    vessiangel wrote: »
    I am 5'6, 130 lb, 8%bf. Pants size 0/2, tops S if I want a tight fit, but I am more comfortable with M.

8% bf sounds questionable... Especially for a female.
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Calmquiet wrote: »
    5'9" 160 pounds and wear a US size medium to large top with around size 12 jeans. My legs could fit into smaller pants but my larger hips make it so I have to buy looser jeans to fit my hips.

You might try CATO brand jeans. (check if there's a store near you, or search for them online) Before losing weight, i had a 16" difference between waist and hip measurements, and their size 18 fit me perfect. 84lb down so far, and the difference between my waist and hip has shrunk to 12.5" - wearing a size 8 now and still don't hafta worry about showing off my gluteal cleavage to anyone (un)fortunate enough to be behind me.
  • smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sizes have gotten bigger over the years. It is well known that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12!!! She would be like a 6 now. LOL
    I am 5 '10" , 168 pounds. Fit into size 10 jeans if they are sized fit tall, otherwise 12.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    smelbo wrote: »
    Sizes have gotten bigger over the years. It is well known that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12!!! She would be like a 6 now. LOL
    I am 5 '10" , 168 pounds. Fit into size 10 jeans if they are sized fit tall, otherwise 12.

I'll just leave this right here:

In 1945, a 19-year-old Norma Jeane signed up with modeling agency Blue Book. The receptionist wrote down her measurements as 36-24-34, which at 5’5” and 118 pounds would be considered, by today’s BMI standards, a completely healthy, average size. But even then, the head of the company referred to her as "too plump, but in a beautiful way." Another note from the receptionist: "Size 12."

Though Marilyn's weight and sizing obviously fluctuated over the course of her career, her standard measurements, according to her dressmaker, were roughly 35-22-35. This accounts for why her pant and dress sizes were often listed as an 8 and 12, respectively—a dress would also need to accommodate her bust, while pants could be sized smaller based on her slimmer hips. She is often cited as having been a size 16—and she was! Kind of. But only based on British vintage sizing (a U.K. size 16 was a rough equivalent to a U.S. size 12 in the '50s). But according to today's sizing guides—which is what people generally have in mind as a reference when discussing her measurements—Marilyn would be roughly a U.S. size 6 or 8. She'd likely need an 8 for her bust, but with forgiving fabric, a 4 or a 6 would easily fit her hips. And of course, her tiny waist would certainly need a belt.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    5'10", 156lbs.
    Tops: I wear anything from a 4-8
    Pants: 8-12, with most pants being 10-11. The hip bones are the really deciding factor here, even when I was 135 lbs in college I was still an 8.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Looks like mostly women responding but I'll add a male data point.

5' 8.5" 160 lbs, 30" x 30" pants, 38" suit coats, and medium shirts. Actually slim-fit medium shirts, regular fit mediums are very large in the stomach area.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 238 pounds
    I measure 48/36/50 and the sizes I wear are anywhere between 14 and 22, so really, don't count on sizes people give to assess your own.