Are you guys gonna quit the diet for christmas?

Options

Replies

• Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always have at least one day on the weekend (sometimes both days) when I don’t count calories. I don't go in planning to eat a lot/unhealthily, but it’s better for my mental health if I’m not being obsessive or worrying all the time.
    I’ll be doing so on Christmas too. I’m not going to binge myself sick, but I will likely go over maintenance (as many fit, healthy never-needed-to-diet people also do). It’s just one day and calories are an accumulative thing; no doubt it’ll even out over the week.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I will go to one big Christmas party this year, and I plan to "bank" some calories for a few days ahead of time for that one. But for Christmas Day and New Years Day, I'll eat somewhere from maintenance to about 500 over. Depends on how many buttertarts my husband makes!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What diet?

I'll be recording calories each day, just like any other day. But what the total ends up being is not causing any sort of stress. That's how I preserve my sanity - I simply can't have a "[x] or less calories a day or you're a failure" in my vocabulary. Ever.

I'm estimating now I'll end up eating around 2.5K/day for Eve, Day, and NYE instead of the 15-1700 I am now. It'll be interesting to see where reality actually falls when it's all said and done.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat what I want for Christmas and Boxing Day and then come January, move to Premium and calorie cycling for 2016. I need to lose between 30-40 lbs.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I am on a diet. My calories are in a deficit, and my carbs are limited.
    But on some days this month I may end up eating some goodies!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,774 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP to lose some weight, and learn to live life more healthfully *forever*. Real life is going to include eating a bit extra on truly special occasions. Christmas is a special occasion. "Someone brought cookies to work" is not a special occasion.

So, I plan to enjoy some special food & drink on Christmas or at *rare* parties, but fit anything else into my daily goals (sometimes by "saving up", sometimes by eating more lightly the rest of the day, sometime with extra activity). I'll likely do some of the same to mute the effect of the special events, as well . . . just as I plan to do forever.

Everything gets logged, as honestly as possible, estimating when necessary (and trying, if anything, to over-estimate). If the scale happens to move up a little, I know how to make it move down.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My diet includes eating whatever I want on special occasions. So yes, everything is getting consumed on Christmas Day (and probably for a few more days afterwards!)
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I came to MFP to lose some weight, and learn to live life more healthfully *forever*. Real life is going to include eating a bit extra on truly special occasions. Christmas is a special occasion. "Someone brought cookies to work" is not a special occasion.

This right here.
    I will not weigh out Christmas dinner, but other than that its business as usual.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am trying to get better control before and after, but yes, Christmas and New Years will not be good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @PaulaWallaDingDong LOVE your profile name :smiley:
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I plan to enjoy holiday meals but exercise (hiking) everyday to compensate. I fully intend to stay wihtin the daily calorie limit. For me it is a slippery slope to loosen my control so I avoid it if possible.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I won't be quitting, I will be having planned gain of no more that 4 pounds. Christmas isn't just one day here, it's nonstop food events till mid January. I belive planning my gain keeps me in control instead of leaving it to chance.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    To me the word "diet" merely means the substances a person consumes on a regular basis, so no, I will not be abandoning my "diet" over the Christmas period. I may however have a few "extras" - in my case that will be wine and cheese.
  • charmainegreenxx
    charmainegreenxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, Christmas Day will be my treat day anyways but I'm not going to over do it, luckily most of the things I've got is low fat, sugar free (my mum has diabetes so mostly everything sugar free) but I know if I gain anything it won't matter it will only be a few pounds I can lose it later X
  • Likichina
    Likichina Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm quitting Christmas for my "diet". :D

Seriously though, I've been living in the US for a little over a year and it feels like everything here has to involve food, and lots of it! Family reunions, weekend gatherings, birthdays, holidays, hang outs, everything. If I was going to "make an exception" for every "special" day... Wait, oh, that's how I gained a lot of the weight that I'm trying to lose now. :s I don't believe I have to binge only because everybody else is, I'd much rather treat myself to something nice in a random day when I'm craving it really bad and I feel I deserve it, but never because it is the "norm"!

Christmas should be about family and being with those who you love anyway, and not about food and consumerism. But this is just my personal view, of course...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Likichina wrote: »

Seriously though, I've been living in the US for a little over a year and it feels like everything here has to involve food, and lots of it! Family reunions, weekend gatherings, birthdays, holidays, hang outs, everything. If I was going to "make an exception" for every "special" day... Wait, oh, that's how I gained a lot of the weight that I'm trying to lose now. :sI don't believe I have to binge only because everybody else is, I'd much rather treat myself to something nice in a random day when I'm craving it really bad and I feel I deserve it, but never because it is the "norm"!

Christmas should be about family and being with those who you love anyway, and not about food and consumerism. But this is just my personal view, of course...

It doesn't even have to be binging. You don't have to eat until your stomach hurts to have a lot of calories. It's the types of foods around around this time of the year that make weight loss diets a bit harder to maintain. One Russian teacake cookie (my favorite) is more than 500 calories. Eating one will not leave you stuffed but it still has the ability push your calories forward quite a bit and that's without even touching all the delicious mayo-laden salads, mashed potatoes, high fat main courses and so on. Even if you fill your plate with small portions it's near impossible to stay under 1500 calories, and that's without dessert.

I believe social gatherings and their rituals, which include the food people share, are too special and important to miss. No one gets fat because they eat too much on special events, people get fat because they eat too much every day. Any thin people in the family are a great proof of that, they eat the same food in nearly the same quantities as the overweight people on these events but they tend to eat less in their day to day life so they still manage to stay thin.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

They aren't mutually exclusive.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Nope. I am going to relax and not worry about actual calories so much, but I refuse to use it as an excuse to eat everything in sight as was my habit previously. Christmas Eve will be champagne and chocolates and a baked brie and Christmas dinner will be a lasagna with salad and bread and a Buche de Noel (probably cheeses and shrimp for appetizers).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Seriously though, I've been living in the US for a little over a year and it feels like everything here has to involve food, and lots of it! Family reunions, weekend gatherings, birthdays, holidays, hang outs, everything. If I was going to "make an exception" for every "special" day... Wait, oh, that's how I gained a lot of the weight that I'm trying to lose now. :sI don't believe I have to binge only because everybody else is, I'd much rather treat myself to something nice in a random day when I'm craving it really bad and I feel I deserve it, but never because it is the "norm"!

I believe social gatherings and their rituals, which include the food people share, are too special and important to miss. No one gets fat because they eat too much on special events, people get fat because they eat too much every day. Any thin people in the family are a great proof of that, they eat the same food in nearly the same quantities as the overweight people on these events but they tend to eat less in their day to day life so they still manage to stay thin.

Agreed. You don't have to stuff your gut til it bursts, but you should be able to sample a little of everything, if that's what you want to do, without feeling guilty. Unless you're having massive feasts on a weekly basis, it will barely make a dent in your "diet." It's one day. How you live every other day is what determines your success or failure.

• percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'll stay within 1200 calories on Christmas Day because it's a day when I'll be a little stressed out by cooking for the extended family. If I'm going to indulge myself, it will be after it's all over, the decorations are down, the house is clean and I can relax and enjoy the splurge. Probably December 29th or about.