Are you guys gonna quit the diet for christmas?

Options

Replies

• cgrz4
    cgrz4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to quit my diet but I will save up calories so I can enjoy a small amount of the "good stuff". I don't want to set myself back. Moderation is key! I will probably exercise a ton before and after though ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't really diet so no. I do watch what I eat but if i go for a long run, I can eat with impunity
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am going to go big on Christmas day. I find that having a bit of an over the top day once in a while keeps me on the straight and narrow. I will eat more than I need, feel a bit sick afterwards and not want those things again till next Christmas.

Having a Christmas blow out is not at all like a binge because it is planned and you are in control.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't say that I diet, I just make better choices whenever possible. I'll never deprive myself of anything. If I feel to need to do some extra working out to feel better about any possible bad food that I'll eat, then ok. It's the holiday season and I fully intend to enjoy it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont diet. so... no?

however i will be eating at maintenance and working out to earn even more goodies. and if i gain a couple of pounds im sure as heck not going to worry about it lol
  • bshave81
    bshave81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you don't make it a diet, but a life choice to make smarter decisions on portions and intake, then it doesn't feel like you have a cloud over you.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Christmas, New Years, and a day or two at my parents I will likely just eat whatever but other than that its onward and upward (more downward)
  • erchel00
    erchel00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to be good, I started running so if I over eat I will try to balance it with an extra run or two, I worry that if I am not good on Xmas day, I will just run Xmas and new years week into one long day and splurg! :o
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to, we don't focus as much on food during Christmas as we do during thanksgiving so it shouldn't be hard to stay on track.

Same here for me. The only thing I'll be eating differently is that instead of so many vegetables and tofu there will be more craft beer and candy. That's temporary, though...and doesn't mean I won't still be at a calorie deficit.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    of course not,,, will be doing 2 to 3 hours cardio Christmas eve and day and every other day too. and yes, I WILL be eating and drinking IT ALL. yum.
  • Lizzierose89
    Lizzierose89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I plan to have xmas day off! I am so looking forward to lots of yummy food and drink :smile:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to, on account of gaining weight during the 3 months that I moved twice and had no access to a gym. I'm now working that mess back off.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Likely christmas eve i will have a good meal at a restaurant but i will plan accordingly...and I am planning on getting popcorn at the movies that day but i won't obsess over it...and Christmas day we are not doing anything special (i will be celebrating with my kids the day after christmas, they'll be at their dad's house for christmas)... so I will be careful but not obsess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Likichina wrote: »
    I'm quitting Christmas for my "diet". :D

Seriously though, I've been living in the US for a little over a year and it feels like everything here has to involve food, and lots of it! Family reunions, weekend gatherings, birthdays, holidays, hang outs, everything. If I was going to "make an exception" for every "special" day... Wait, oh, that's how I gained a lot of the weight that I'm trying to lose now. :sI don't believe I have to binge only because everybody else is, I'd much rather treat myself to something nice in a random day when I'm craving it really bad and I feel I deserve it, but never because it is the "norm"!

Christmas should be about family and being with those who you love anyway, and not about food and consumerism. But this is just my personal view, of course...
    One Russian teacake cookie (my favorite) is more than 500 calories.

That must be one good cookie, because I've never tasted a cookie that was worth that amount of calories to me.

Trust me it is! Made with honey and stuffed with a jam or condensed milk concoction. It's one of the things that I'm willing to bargain for in calories even if it had more than a thousand.

tumblr_mh1cco1IlZ1s0t2t9o1_500.jpg
  • Likichina
    Likichina Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Seriously though, I've been living in the US for a little over a year and it feels like everything here has to involve food, and lots of it! Family reunions, weekend gatherings, birthdays, holidays, hang outs, everything. If I was going to "make an exception" for every "special" day... Wait, oh, that's how I gained a lot of the weight that I'm trying to lose now. :sI don't believe I have to binge only because everybody else is, I'd much rather treat myself to something nice in a random day when I'm craving it really bad and I feel I deserve it, but never because it is the "norm"!

Christmas should be about family and being with those who you love anyway, and not about food and consumerism. But this is just my personal view, of course...

It doesn't even have to be binging. You don't have to eat until your stomach hurts to have a lot of calories. It's the types of foods around around this time of the year that make weight loss diets a bit harder to maintain. One Russian teacake cookie (my favorite) is more than 500 calories. Eating one will not leave you stuffed but it still has the ability push your calories forward quite a bit and that's without even touching all the delicious mayo-laden salads, mashed potatoes, high fat main courses and so on. Even if you fill your plate with small portions it's near impossible to stay under 1500 calories, and that's without dessert.

I believe social gatherings and their rituals, which include the food people share, are too special and important to miss. No one gets fat because they eat too much on special events, people get fat because they eat too much every day. Any thin people in the family are a great proof of that, they eat the same food in nearly the same quantities as the overweight people on these events but they tend to eat less in their day to day life so they still manage to stay thin.

I actually thought that "to binge" meant something like "to have something special" instead of "eating in excess", pardon my faulty English! So what I really wanted to say was more like I don't believe I need to have a cheat meal or something special only because everybody else is, I think it's better phrased now, lol! Also, I do agree with you 100% that we get fat based on what we eat at normal days and not "special" days but that's exactly what I was referring to, I don't know if it is an "American thing" or just a thing of my husband's family but the problem is that they have at least 3 "special" occasions a week. Every time we see the family, there's a feast, and my body really can not keep up with that. And if I don't eat or politely refuse something, my in laws get offended (which I don't really understand why). Where I am from (Brazil), social gatherings do not necessarily (and often don't) include food... We gather to party, dance, chat, etc, so I have been having a lot of trouble to adapt and watching my weight here without offending anybody or being perceived as anti-social. :/
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to but just failed miserably at work. I'll try my best.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

It doesn't even have to be binging. You don't have to eat until your stomach hurts to have a lot of calories. It's the types of foods around around this time of the year that make weight loss diets a bit harder to maintain. One Russian teacake cookie (my favorite) is more than 500 calories. Eating one will not leave you stuffed but it still has the ability push your calories forward quite a bit and that's without even touching all the delicious mayo-laden salads, mashed potatoes, high fat main courses and so on. Even if you fill your plate with small portions it's near impossible to stay under 1500 calories, and that's without dessert.

I believe social gatherings and their rituals, which include the food people share, are too special and important to miss. No one gets fat because they eat too much on special events, people get fat because they eat too much every day. Any thin people in the family are a great proof of that, they eat the same food in nearly the same quantities as the overweight people on these events but they tend to eat less in their day to day life so they still manage to stay thin.

I actually thought that "to binge" meant something like "to have something special" instead of "eating in excess", pardon my faulty English! So what I really wanted to say was more like I don't believe I need to have a cheat meal or something special only because everybody else is, I think it's better phrased now, lol! Also, I do agree with you 100% that we get fat based on what we eat at normal days and not "special" days but that's exactly what I was referring to, I don't know if it is an "American thing" or just a thing of my husband's family but the problem is that they have at least 3 "special" occasions a week. Every time we see the family, there's a feast, and my body really can not keep up with that. And if I don't eat or politely refuse something, my in laws get offended (which I don't really understand why). Where I am from (Brazil), social gatherings do not necessarily (and often don't) include food... We gather to party, dance, chat, etc, so I have been having a lot of trouble to adapt and watching my weight here without offending anybody or being perceived as anti-social. :/

That is definitely a family-specific thing. Or, I should say, a certain-cultures-in-the-U.S. thing. There are definite groups where food is the expression of how much you care.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I won't count or log on Christmas Day, perhaps just quick add a very rough estimate - I don't when I'm on vacation either.
    But I will eat sensible sizes of things and not go over board.
    Damage limitation, if you like
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    :Note to self - find out how many calories are in Bailey's Irish Cream, plan accordingly: