Snakes

Options

Replies

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    so does anyone ever find yourself needing to care for a rat when the snake wont feed? I'm in that predicament right now lol I'm ashamed to say I'm starting to get attached to it haha
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i will take a pass on snakes lol

if they are poisonous (which we have several here that are), i will kill them without a second though (too many kids and pets running around to risk a bite). Harmless ones though i let live to eat mice and such.

i did add a juvenile eastern fence lizard to my hermit crab set up last month and hes cute. and eats the fruit flies the fruit for the crabs attracts ;)
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    My hoggie has a new background on her enclosure and she won't stop staring at it for days lol. She's the first of our snakes that we put a background on. I can't tell if she loves or Hates it.
  • michaelafoor916
    Options
    what background did you get? I want to get one for my girl just to make her cage look badass. amazon.com/Reptile-Habitat-Background-adhesive-squares/dp/B00SNGDRKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452101619&sr=8-3&keywords=terrarium+background

that's the one I want to get her. she will be Lilly- the ruler of the badland ruins lol
  • AnitaDrink2day
    AnitaDrink2day Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Omg!!! You meant actual snakes! Lol I thought this was a post to warn people about snakes on here
  • FitGirl0123
    Options

if they are poisonous (which we have several here that are), i will kill them without a second though (too many kids and pets running around to risk a bite). Harmless ones though i let live to eat mice and such.

i did add a juvenile eastern fence lizard to my hermit crab set up last month and hes cute. and eats the fruit flies the fruit for the crabs attracts ;)

Snakes are venemous not poisonous and you risk getting bit moreso by killing them than just leaving them alone. Just a little 411
  • FitGirl0123
    Options
    what background did you get? I want to get one for my girl just to make her cage look badass. amazon.com/Reptile-Habitat-Background-adhesive-squares/dp/B00SNGDRKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452101619&sr=8-3&keywords=terrarium+background

that's the one I want to get her. she will be Lilly- the ruler of the badland ruins lol

It's a desert background. I really like it. I have a couple more for the other snakes that I haven't put on yet. A stone one and a forest like one.
  • michaelafoor916
    Options

Snakes are venemous not poisonous and you risk getting bit moreso by killing them than just leaving them alone. Just a little 411

^^^^THIS.

I'm sorry and not to be a *kitten* but it really aggravates me that people click on the forum named "SNAKES" and then hate on these creatures or talk about killing them when they have done nothing to you. Or people will tell me that my pet is gross, a disgusting creature, i'll kill it if it gets out, etc.... I get snakes aren't for everyone but to tell someone who has them as a pet is no different than me saying that to someone who owns a dog. Just because you don't see them the same as a dog or cat doesn't mean we don't love them just the same. No creature deserves to be killed just because it is what it is.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS.

I'm sorry and not to be a *kitten* but it really aggravates me that people click on the forum named "SNAKES" and then hate on these creatures or talk about killing them when they have done nothing to you. Or people will tell me that my pet is gross, a disgusting creature, i'll kill it if it gets out, etc.... I get snakes aren't for everyone but to tell someone who has them as a pet is no different than me saying that to someone who owns a dog. Just because you don't see them the same as a dog or cat doesn't mean we don't love them just the same. No creature deserves to be killed just because it is what it is.

This. Especially that last sentence.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with them, I just prefer pets to be warm and fuzzy. Snakes EAT warm fuzzies. :neutral:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »

^^^^THIS.

This. Especially that last sentence.

Except me

Fixed that for you.

• WYMANT0004
    WYMANT0004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Actually, there are a couple species that are both venomous and poisonous, genus Rhabdophis. They store the toxin from their prey and then secrete it back out as a defense mechanism.

I don't really have a problem with them, I just prefer pets to be warm and fuzzy. Snakes EAT warm fuzzies. :neutral:

Not all snakes. I used to have a pair of African egg-eaters, those were some fascinating little buggers.

In the wild hognose snakes typically eat toads/frogs and grey banded kings feed on lizards. True, in captivity most people feed them mice/rats because it is more convenient but if people have the means to feed them more true to wild diets then they will certainly thrive on them.

There are also feeder alternatives that some snakes will readily take. I recently started feeding some of my animals ReptiLinks and have been quite pleased with the results
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Go ahead & hate...I kill them. Mainly the copperheads but I'm NOT a snake fan.
  • michaelafoor916
    Options

tumblr_inline_nzzujx9RVG1r79k32_500.gif
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options

f5ff8bbf2baedef02048f6de48f8b821ad10334a9747e5bf630d78775c0dd61f.jpg
    tumblr_inline_mo1sniGyhj1qz4rgp.gif
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    WYMANT0004 wrote: »
    I guessyou could say I like snakes, given I have ~100 of them.

Technically only 21 of them are mine:

14 ball pythons (3 Woma, 2 Albino, 1 Candino, 1 Lesser, 1 Mojave, 1 GHI, 1 BlackPastel, 2 Albino Woma and 2 WT)
    2 grey band kings, Black Gap locality (1 Anery and 1 WT)
    3 western hognose (2 Andconda and 1 Albino)
    1 corn, amel (my oldest @ 24 years)
    1 green tree python
    1 black head python

A few pics
    IMG_6486_zpscsrmtpk6.jpg
    AW%20w%20flash_zpsdkesjinl.jpg
    IMG_5666.JPG_zpssgsudknv.jpeg
    IMG_0540_zps90536156.jpg
    AlbinoxWomahetAlbino_zpsf5f19fa1.jpg
    P5070062.jpg
    P8040007_zpsc5586dd4.jpg
    PB041686_zpsed219803.jpg

The remaining 80-odd are all ball pythons and belong to a friend of mine who is going through a bit of a rough spot in his life, so I am caring for them until he can get himself sorted out

I also have a couple geckos (African fat-tail and a knob-tail) and a Brazilian white-kneed tarantula

Mini-dino_zps619969e5.jpeg
    genic_zpsttj0pmbx.jpg

You must be the luckiest person ever! *o*
    My SO would never let me keep them!