Options
123457»

Replies

• Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I want, just not like I used to :flowerforyou:

Yup, same here!

I miss video gaming like I used to though. I used to spend hours and hours in front of my xbox or computer. Now I feel guilty, and get up to move around after only an hour or so. And those are days that I can play! I play like once a week if I'm lucky.

Same! I barely touch my computer during the week now. I used to play 1-2 hours daily, and now I play only a couple of hours a week. Other than that I haven't really given up too much.
  • UAYpull
    UAYpull Posts: 26
    Options
    pork fried rice. yum...
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The amount of alcohol I used to drink casually with friends. I don't even drink at home, so I didn't expect it to be so difficult- but when I'm out with friends or at a BBQ or happy hour at work, I really REALLY miss just being able to drink whatever I want. A bottle of wine with my sister, my friend Darin's killer margaritas, a few beers while we hang out around the pool, a couple after work martinis- all calories I don't need. Everything else comes up so rarely (ice cream, freshly baked bread, etc.) that I feel like an occasional indulgence is appropriate. There's just so much damn alcohol in my social life!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I found it hard and weird to give up being fat. Nothing fits like I expect it to - even when it's the right size. Getting used to the changes in body shape and what I see in the mirror has been the hardest.

You don't have to give up foods to lose weight, just moderate how much of it you eat.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, I just exercise more if I want to eat it. I think depriving yourself makes it harder to stay on track.

Amen. Most sensible answer
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For me the hardest thing to give up is breathing, I can get 2 or 3 minutes and then I just cant take it I need another breath.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    For me the hardest thing to give up is breathing, I can get 2 or 3 minutes and then I just cant take it I need another breath.

LMFAO
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'll eat whatever I want usually but it's hard to do portion control!! I can just eat a large pepperoni pizza without blinking an eye but I know I shouldn't. And cake. I loooove cake. It's hardest to cut back on carbs ugh lol.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I found it hard and weird to give up being fat. Nothing fits like I expect it to - even when it's the right size. Getting used to the changes in body shape and what I see in the mirror has been the hardest.

You don't have to give up foods to lose weight, just moderate how much of it you eat.

I feel you there, i still put on clothes and ask my daughter if it makes me look fat and she is like "really mom" and rolls her eyes cause she is very thin so she doesn't completely understand that its hard to go from what i was to what i am now. I find myself looking at every angle in the mirror just to make sure i look ok even though i am happy with the way i feel and for the most part the way i look, its hard to change your mantality to what it was before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give anything up. I make better overall nutritional choices...I get my vitamins and minerals...my protein and essential fats...then, whatevs. You don't have to give anything up to be "healthy". I just make better overall choices most of the time and rock my fitness all of the time.

If you're giving stuff up, do you intend to do so forever? Best to learn how to eat and enjoy the things you love in moderation.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, not even fried chicken or pizza. I just eat sensibly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you're giving stuff up, do you intend to do so forever? Best to learn how to eat and enjoy the things you love in moderation.

That's true for everyone. I have favorite foods that I haven't eaten in years and perhaps never will again. Cheesecake for example. I love cheesecake, but I can't even remember the last time I had it. I don't miss it.

And for those that have "trigger foods" - those foods that you know you will not stop eating before you've overeaten - sometimes giving them up isn't such a bad thing.
  • amandy0707
    amandy0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am having a hard time giving up booze! I like to have 1-3 beers sometimes after a long day at work, and occasionally on weekends if the kids are at their dads, I might have more than a few drinks. Now I come home and even after a long workout at the gym, I still want to sit down and crack a beer! I am finding it easier however, that when I come home from the gym, I enter my calories back into MFP and I see how many I have left for an awesome dinner! If I happen to eat light though, and have calories left, I definitely head for a drink!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Having trigger foods in the house. If I really want something that I will eat 14 ounces of at a sitting like a bag of chips I have to go out and get it in a special trip. Of course I don't buy a 14 once bag of chips and sit on a bench and eat them in public. I get a 50 cent size and it's enough for some reason. That wouldn't be the case if I was sitting at home with a 14 oz bag of chips. Not sure why. Maybe it's the big bag plus the fact I am at home in front of the tv or reading things on the computer.

So, there is that and the time it takes to exercise. It takes a long time to burn calories when about the only thing you do is walk. I am ok with that, because I can't afford a gym membership at the moment and I have other problems that limit my abilities. I do hope that eventually I am able to do a wider variety of activity though and for that I am willing to spend the time to get to that place.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DIET DR. PEPPER...pop or carbonation of any kind. I was so addicted...like 2L a day addicted. And I just stopped. No more. Drinking water like a fish now and loving the transformation. I had NO idea how bloated I was from all that sodium and my sleeping habits changed as well from no more evening caffeine. Truly a difference.

2 liters of Diet Dr Pepper has like 300 mg of sodium.

It made me bloated regardless, perhaps from the carbonation or even the aspartame then? I'm just glad I kicked it. I don't tell myself that I can never have it again, but for now, I've stayed away from it and am enjoying the water.
    Thanks for the info...