low bad carb ?

Options

Replies

• NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's why it's called low carb, high fat. And, there are no bad carbs. Such a shame that people don't understand this.

I understood that my fat and protein content was going to be higher. I just wanted to know how high is too high. I know everyone is different as well but was just looking for a little more insight from mfp
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NewTnme wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hey guys Im trying to do a low bad carb diet. Ive cut out all breads, cereals, sugars, and certain veggies and fruits. I feel pretty good. But my fat intake is very high protein is pretty good. Am I doing this right? I eat chicken, steak, tuna and pork.

To lose weight eat the calories that MFP told you to for your weight loss goal. You don't have to totally eliminate foods or eat a special diet to lose weight.
    I've found that if I am eating the right number of calories, getting enough protein and eating several servings of vegetables or fruits that I'm just naturally eating less high carb low nutrition foods.

Ive tried that several times. It gives me 1200
    cals and ill be good for about 2 wks then all heck breaks loose then I binge. I would buy those 100calories cal cookie backs and fiber one bars. All they do is make me want more. Since I've cut out all of that boxed stuff I should say. Im not even as hungry as I used to be. I was just hoping my fat content was'nt too much. Im eating between 1250-1400 calls per day

It gives you 1200 because it is based on your activity (bet you put sedentary) and your goal weight loss (bet you put 2lb a week)

A good weekly guideline would be 1% of your weight

Plus you eat back exercise calories on top...go for a long speedy walk, workout ...eat back 50%
  • NewTnme
    Options
    Maybe I should have asked my question differently. If going low carb. How much fat and protein should be consumed in a 207 lb 5'3' female. With no health issues known of?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What fruit and veg have you cut out?
    I have cut out bananas Orange apples. I eat mixed berries strawberries and for veggies I eat all greens. And yellow squash. What I ment about bad carbs was my junk food. Cookies caked pies... oh and breads. Captain crunch fruity pebbles. .

the old saying, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" is not just a bunch of BS...they are full of pectin (among other things) which is a soluble fiber and carries away bad cholesterol among other things...i've read a couple of studies which indicate that eating an apple per day may actually be as effective as statin therapy for people with cholesterol issues. It's also a low GI fruit for diabetics....

Agreed. The more and more I read about people wanting to cut carbs, the more it seems like they want to cut the carbs they really do need versus the other high sugar, high calorie items they don't. If apples increase your cravings, have another apple or orange :)
  • NewTnme
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hey guys Im trying to do a low bad carb diet. Ive cut out all breads, cereals, sugars, and certain veggies and fruits. I feel pretty good. But my fat intake is very high protein is pretty good. Am I doing this right? I eat chicken, steak, tuna and pork.

To lose weight eat the calories that MFP told you to for your weight loss goal. You don't have to totally eliminate foods or eat a special diet to lose weight.
    I've found that if I am eating the right number of calories, getting enough protein and eating several servings of vegetables or fruits that I'm just naturally eating less high carb low nutrition foods.

cals and ill be good for about 2 wks then all heck breaks loose then I binge. I would buy those 100calories cal cookie backs and fiber one bars. All they do is make me want more. Since I've cut out all of that boxed stuff I should say. Im not even as hungry as I used to be. I was just hoping my fat content was'nt too much. Im eating between 1250-1400 calls per day

It gives you 1200 because it is based on your activity (bet you put sedentary) and your goal weight loss (bet you put 2lb a week)

Plus you eat back exercise calories on top...go for a long speedy walk, workout ...eat back 50%

Ok that sounds cool. Thanks
  • NewTnme
    Options
    I have cut out bananas Orange apples. I eat mixed berries strawberries and for veggies I eat all greens. And yellow squash. What I ment about bad carbs was my junk food. Cookies caked pies... oh and breads. Captain crunch fruity pebbles. .

the old saying, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" is not just a bunch of BS...they are full of pectin (among other things) which is a soluble fiber and carries away bad cholesterol among other things...i've read a couple of studies which indicate that eating an apple per day may actually be as effective as statin therapy for people with cholesterol issues. It's also a low GI fruit for diabetics....

Agreed. The more and more I read about people wanting to cut carbs, the more it seems like they want to cut the carbs they really do need versus the other high sugar, high calorie items they don't. If apples increase your cravings, have another apple or orange :)

Lol... on a good strong mental day I could have one maybe a little indigestion when im done drink a bottle of water and im good for 45 mins to an hour. On another day. After eating the apple I want crust of some sort and other sweets to follow.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have asked my question differently. If going low carb. How much fat and protein should be consumed in a 207 lb 5'3' female. With no health issues known of?

Around 80g of protein and 100g of fat, +/- 10%
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

If you're binging with 1200, then it's not an appropriate calorie goal for you.

When you set up MFP, how many pounds per week did you enter in? If you chose to lose 2 pounds per week, go with 1.5 or 1. This will give you more calories & make it easier to stick with it.

Many folks here have found that cutting back on pre-packaged stuff and eating more whole foods makes it easier to adhere to a calorie goal. This doesn't mean things like Kraft Mac & Cheese, lean cuisines, frozen pizza, etc, are bad. However, you often find that you can make a similar dish for fewer calories (and a lower overall cost) and, thus, home-cooked food is "better."

Fruits and veggies are good for you, but, again, you have to find what works. If I'm trying to lose weight, I focus more on fruits like apples because they have a decent amount of fiber and have just the right amount of sweetness.

If you tend to overindulge in something, eliminating it may be worth doing, either in whole or for a time.

Pringles and Oreos are my weaknesses. I finally picked up some single serving packs of Pringles, as well as some mini oreos. Still satisfying, but much easier to consume the proper portion :)

It's all about finding out what works for you.

~Lyssa
  • NewTnme
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Around 80g of protein and 100g of fat, +/- 10%

Thank you very much. Im a bit under on both of those but thats what I was looking for.
  • yarwell
    Options

about a gram of pectin in an apple. Not sure being as effective as statin therapy is an accolade.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Many people find 1200 cals too restrictive especially in the beginning. As Wise Rabbit said, maybe adjust your goal? Or incorporate exercise in order to earn additional calories.

Also many people with low calorie goals need to incorporate nutrient dense whole foods in order to satiate their appetite and achieve nutritional goals. It is not surprising that when you were eating the 100 cal snack packs you were still hungry. That doesn't mean you need to go low carb or consider things in terms of bad and good carbs. It wasn't those snack packs that were bad, it's just that they aren't filling you up on such a low calorie allotment.

My standard advice:
    1. Set up MFP with accurate info and reasonable goals. 2 lbs/week may be too aggressive for you right now. Try 1.5.
    2. Eat primarily nutrient dense food, logging everything. You don't need to restrict certain foods unless you have a medical reason to do so.
    3. Leave a little room for something you enjoy every day or every week. This might be a small square of chocolate for 50 cals.
    4. Exercise if you enjoy it, Eat back about half of the calories you burn.
    5. Be patient.
  • NewTnme
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

When you set up MFP, how many pounds per week did you enter in? If you chose to lose 2 pounds per week, go with 1.5 or 1. This will give you more calories & make it easier to stick with it.

Many folks here have found that cutting back on pre-packaged stuff and eating more whole foods makes it easier to adhere to a calorie goal. This doesn't mean things like Kraft Mac & Cheese, lean cuisines, frozen pizza, etc, are bad. However, you often find that you can make a similar dish for fewer calories (and a lower overall cost) and, thus, home-cooked food is "better."

Fruits and veggies are good for you, but, again, you have to find what works. If I'm trying to lose weight, I focus more on fruits like apples because they have a decent amount of fiber and have just the right amount of sweetness.

If you tend to overindulge in something, eliminating it may be worth doing, either in whole or for a time.

Pringles and Oreos are my weaknesses. I finally picked up some single serving packs of Pringles, as well as some mini oreos. Still satisfying, but much easier to consume the proper portion :)

~Lyssa

Thank you so much for your post. I wish you much success with your plan. As for me it did not work. I have tried the 1 lb a week and the individual snack. Even the lean cuisines and smartones. So far whats stopped my cravings is cutting all my snacks, high natural fat protein some veggies and some fruits. Oh I mix heavy whipping cream with my frozen mixed berries and 2 splendas and OMG very satisfied without the extra cravings.
  • yarwell
    Options

In this case they're the same thing as she's just over 200
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Thank you so much for your post. I wish you much success with your plan. As for me it did not work. I have tried the 1 lb a week and the individual snack. Even the lean cuisines and smartones. So far whats stopped my cravings is cutting all my snacks, high natural fat protein some veggies and some fruits. Oh I mix heavy whipping cream with my frozen mixed berries and 2 splendas and OMG very satisfied without the extra cravings.

That sounds yummy :)!

My two other pieces of advice:

1) If you find you're not losing weight and/or would like some more accuracy with your calorie counts, get a food scale & weigh all your solid food in grams.

2) Rather than thinking of foods as good/healthy and bad/unhealthy, evaluate how they make you feel. A food that leaves you feeling hungry 30 minutes later is probably a bad choice for you. A food that you tend to binge on would also be bad. But cookies and cake and such aren't bad in and of themselves. They're yummy treats that can be worked in :)

You've got this!

~Lyssa
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

In this case they're the same thing as she's just over 200

I didn't notice her weight ...to clarify I meant to drop your weight goal until it is manageable and allows you to not crash and burn
  • NewTnme
    Options

~Lyssa

1) If you find you're not losing weight and/or would like some more accuracy with your calorie counts, get a food scale & weigh all your solid food in grams.

2) Rather than thinking of foods as good/healthy and bad/unhealthy, evaluate how they make you feel. A food that leaves you feeling hungry 30 minutes later is probably a bad choice for you. A food that you tend to binge on would also be bad. But cookies and cake and such aren't bad in and of themselves. They're yummy treats that can be worked in :)

You've got this!

~Lyssa

Yaaaaas Lyssa you got me i feel really good. Im NOT hungry 30 mins after l eat. I really think I might be on the right track for now. Just stay away from the boxes goodies and unfortunately for now. Some fruits that makes ME crazy

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Lol... on a good strong mental day I could have one maybe a little indigestion when im done drink a bottle of water and im good for 45 mins to an hour. On another day. After eating the apple I want crust of some sort and other sweets to follow.

You have a good attitude. You'll get many good suggestions. Just work with it and see what's best for you. At the end of the day, it's all about calories in, calories out for weight loss.
  • NewTnme
    Options

~Lyssa

You've got this!

~Lyssa

Yaaaaas Lyssa you got me i feel really good. Im NOT hungry 30 mins after l eat. I really think I might be on the right track for now. Just stay away from the boxes goodies and unfortunately for now. Some fruits that makes ME crazy

~Lyssa

You've got this!

~Lyssa

Yaaaaas Lyssa you got me i feel really good. Im NOT hungry 30 mins after l eat. I really think I might be on the right track for now. Just stay away from the boxes goodies and unfortunately for now. Some fruits that makes ME crazy :wink:

• NewTnme
    Options

You have a good attitude. You'll get many good suggestions. Just work with it and see what's best for you. At the end of the day, it's all about calories in, calories out for weight loss.

Thank you so much! Im never ever gonna give up!
  • NewTnme
    Options

Thank you so much! Im never ever gonna give up!