The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This video of the Bourbon relay REALLY makes me want to do that one. We have RAGNAR in Minnesota and I hope to do that one some day, but Bourbon? oh yeah!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Those races look so great, BUT OH MY GOD I WISH I KNEW WHERE I WOULD BE LIVING FOR MOST OF THEM (specifically anything after May, and my spring races are all booked for 2016). You have renewed my graduation-related existential crisis!
    ...but if I still live nearish the east coast come June, I will see if I can make it to a race that other people are at, but I am in no position to make any plans or promises. It's really putting a damper on my desire to plan all my 2016 races right away.

Told you that you need to move to northern Alabama after you graduate. ;-)

The only one I am signed up for or have ever ran was the Oak Barrel one. I was just going through the race list and those seem to be the most interesting ones in that general area that I could find. However, if we get enough interest in one of those races, then I would sign up (or at least attend as a spectator). Plus the invitation would continue on through 2017 race season as well if we can't do it this year.

Seems like we have at least 2 people interested for the Bourbon Chase Run. (I would make 3)
    EDITED: Lenny makes 4.

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles tonight in the cold rain. Love running in the rain! :)

34/60 miles done.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    Love running in the rain! :)

I don't mind it... as long as it isn't cold or wet.

I MF the rain the whole time I am out in it.

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    January 2016
    02/1…13.02…easy…8’27 pace – 1:50:10
    03/1…rest
    04/1…5.06…pram…8’40 pace – 43:52
    05/1…rest
    06/1…5.01…easy…7’24 pace – 37:07
    07/1…6.01…fast…5’47 pace – 34:46
    08/1…rest
    09/1…10.02…New Yr 10K…7’10 pace – 1:11:58
    10/1…rest
    11/1…5.01…pram…9’02 pace – 45:17
    12/1…rest
    13/1…7.02…easy…7’57 pace – 55:50…26 deg C/ 69% humidity
    14/1…5.05…slow…8’00 pace – shins tender

TOT: 56.20 km / 90 km

Legs not wanting to work today. Ankles a little sore and not co-operating… Scheduled rest day tomorrow so see how I go. I think running 4 days now instead of 3 is finally sinking in now and my legs have woken up to it :lol:

Races:
    9 January – New Year Virtual 10K DONE! 1:11:58
    12 March – New York Strong Virtual HM
    14 May – Melanoma Awareness Virtual HM
    30 July – Park 2 Park HM (Ipswich)
    27 August – Mental Health Awareness Virtual10K
    22 October – Run For Life 10K (Springfield)
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    Love running in the rain! :)

I don't mind it... as long as it isn't cold or wet.

I MF the rain the whole time I am out in it.
    Ah, you like that hot dry rain I've been hearing about :p
  • Stoshew71
    Options
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Ok... I have been toying with this for a while and would be interested in some feedback. In the ultra community, there has been growing discussion/debate about smoking pot before and during ultra races. Pot's ability to reduce pain, prevent nausea and enhance relaxation hits on three things key to running extra long distances.

I am aware of quite a few ultra runners who smoke regularly during races, but there are some who argue that it is a performance enhancing drug and gives an unfair advantage over those not smoking and should not be used during races, but only to assist in long training runs.

I have run the 50k distance a couple of times and am doing another one in May and I don't see any reason to use anything for only 31 miles, but I am planning on either a 50 mile or 100k race in the fall and one of my training gurus thinks I should incorporate a "pot routine" in to the later stages of training (30+ mile training runs) and the race itself... primarily for nausea issues and secondly to help stay chill when running alone all night in the woods.

Having had to take a DNF at mile 38 in a 50 mile race because of nausea, I am giving it some thought, but not entirely sold on the idea yet. At least not for pre-race and during the race purposes.
    I have to say, I think I understand now why some of us might consider screwing our shoes.

Seriously though, it's kind of funny you mention this. I recently saw an article linked by someone about psychedelics and "microdosing". It claimed athletic benefits despite no impairment to mental ability, you can't feel anything from the psychedelics due to the extremely small dose. But it increases alertness, balance and reduces pain and fatigue.

So, while this is slightly deviated from your original question, I just found it interesting that within a single week I hear about two different recreational drugs being used for enhancing athletics.

Honestly, provided the benefits truly are real, outside of the legal issues of course my primary concern would be around any impacts to training focus (if any). Sounds stereotypical, yes, but I think I recall the experiences of someone once, long ago, somebody else of course, mind you, as in not me, let's be clear about that, it was somebody else, yes it was, indeed...who found the particular substance you are asking about harmless save for a general perceived loss of interest in getting out and doing things sometimes. What if that impacted the desire to go run on some day? That would be the main downside I can only imagine based on that other guys experience. Outside of legal issues of course (I mentioned that didn't I? Sometimes my memory is not so good, I can't remember why.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Not to mention. Brownies can add a lot of calories to your MFP diary. I wonder if they have those kinds of brownies in the diary???
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Oh, and I think the idea of an MFP group run at some event is a great idea! Count me in (maybe). I can sometimes have trouble getting out to things like that, but do try to work them out. Would love to do something like that!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1......3.68
    2/1......5.20 walk
    3/1......5.70
    4/1......0.5
    5/1......2.17
    6/1......rest
    7/1......5.10
    8/1......rest
    9/1......4.3 treadmill walk.
    10/1....9.47
    11/1....Travel Dr appt
    12/1....lazy
    13/1.....5.51 Sweet! Only 0.3 off target.. Botox injection in my rear (PM) next week. Wonder what it'll do to my running? Dang muscle don't work anyhow...

41.63/100+ Miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  41.63/2016
    And a MFP group run!
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BTW: If we want to do the Bourbon Chase this year....

Due to the popularity of the event and the limited team slots available, we believe it is most sane and fair to continue with a lottery format similar to what we have done for the last few years. Below you will find the details to the process. Please know that we remain committed to presenting the best overnight relay experience in the country for you and your team and look forward to hosting your team in 2016.

All teams wishing to run the 2016 Bourbon Chase need to complete and submit a lottery application for registration.

-- Online lottery application will be available beginning January 2 at 8:00 am Eastern Time (ET).
    -- Lottery will close on January 19 at 5:00 pm Eastern Time (ET).
    -- There is a non-refundable $25 lottery application fee. ALL lottery fees donated to our three charities of choice.
    -- All teams will receive notification of their status no later than February 2.

If your team is accepted for the Chase ...

-- You will receive an email notification and have 72 hours to pay your deposit of $580 to finalize your registration. This deposit is non-refundable.
    -- The total registration fee for 2016 is $1,740 - the same price as last year!
    -- You will have until July 15 to pay your team's balance of $1,160. We are the only overnight relay with a "lay-a-way" program!
    -- Registration fees will be subject to a 3.75% transaction fee.

THE FINE PRINT

Just so we are clear and there are no surprises between now and the firing of the starter's gun, we want to make sure you are fully aware of the "terms and conditions" involved in running The Bourbon Chase.

-- The dates of the race are October 14-15, 2016.
    -- Your registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferable (meaning you can't go and sell it to someone else). We have a limited number of team slots. You want one. We want you to have one. If we give you one, we trust you to use it and not waste it. We do not keep a “waiting list".
    -- All teams that have any member that lives within a 100 mile radius of any point on the race course is required to provide two (2) volunteers during the weekend of the race. Volunteer shifts are typically 4-5 hours. Volunteer signups will be available on a first come, first served basis beginning in May.
    -- Teams must be capable of completing The Bourbon Chase course in under 35 hours - or roughly averaging 10:30 per mile.
    -- Late in the summer, we will ask teams to finalize their best prediction for their total team time. We use this to assign start times. Teams will be held accountable to plus or minus 90 minutes of their estimated total team time.
    -- Anyone registering a team is required to read the race Guidebook and to be aware of the ins and the outs of the race - for example, all the stuff mentioned above.

OUR COMMITMENT TO YOUR EXPERIENCE

Although we are thrilled and flattered that The Bourbon Chase has enjoyed popularity and praise since its inception, we recognize opportunities for improvement and are always eager to prove ourselves as the nation's finest overnight relay. Words cannot express how much we appreciate the support we have enjoyed from you and your teammates in these early years. Please know that we will work tirelessly to ensure a wonderful experience for you during the entire journey – from registration in January up until the last runner reaches the finish line celebration. Our planning team is already at work putting the pieces together for the best Bourbon Chase to date. We hope you will join us once again to take part in the best the Bluegrass State has to offer.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 ... that 200 mile Bourbon relay looks fun. A six runner team means each runner only has to do 33-34 miles, which is easily managed in 8-10 mile segments. That would be a blast. And, of course, bourbon.

The race website indicates that teams typically have 12 runners but they welcome teams as few as 6 runners. The segments are fixed as they have to control the 35 exchange points. There's a comprehensive race guide here. Two vans needed and they highly recommend dedicated driver, at least 1 per van.

Each runner runs 3 legs of varying lengths from 3.1 to nearly 9 miles. Average leg is 5.5 miles per run. The guide has a charge that compares each leg. The team must be able to average a pace under 10:30 per mile. Pacing projections are important and a team can be disqualified for running too fast or two slow. Based on the projections each team provides, they allow a total margin of error of +/- 90 minutes. It looks like they do this so every team will pass through the exchange points within a certain window of time. To accomplish this, slower teams start first, faster teams start last.

And very importantly, registration is due Jan 19th and there's a lottery to determine who is one of the 400 teams.

ETA: It looks like I repeated much of what Stan posted.

• healthierhappierpaige95
    Options
    1/1/16-3.0miles
    1/2/16-4.33miles
    1/3/16-Rest
    1/4/16-3.0miles
    1/5/16-4.27miles
    1/6/16-Rest
    1/7/16-3.25miles
    1/8/16-Rest
    1/9/16-3.25miles
    1/10/16-Rest
    1/11/16-3.0miles
    1/12/16-4.25miles
    1/13/15-4.0miles
    Total-32.35miles

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MMillard77 wrote: »
    Hi - I am new to running but have been enjoying the time to myself :)

I've been inspired by your posts here, so I think I will join in!

Ill aim to do another 20kms for rest of January and Ill start thinking about what February should look like.

Many posts mention very cold US weather, Im in Australia and have the opposite problem - we've had 38C days here this week, so I am finding that challenging.

Thanks for the motivation...

Heat is challenging.

Heat running will build your cardiovascular system, VO2 max, iron, hemoglobin ect... Then when it cools off, your body won't be spending all its energy cooling off. Cooler runs are 3 times easier than hot runs and you can put your efforts into endurance and distance. It's really a great balance!

@MorningGhost14 Really? I suspected you we're just an old hippie. It makes me puke. :cold_sweat:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    We do a group run, I'm wearing my MFP shirt and like high school, y'all signin' it...

I can do trails. My husband not keen on them (yet). I'm working on converting him. I doubt I'm in for anything longer than 15 miles, at this point.
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@MorningGhost14 Really? I suspected you we're just an old hippie. It makes me puke. :cold_sweat:

What makes you puke? Me being an old hippie?

• Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

What makes you puke? Me being an old hippie?

Lol! Pot! I grew up around it. Think I'm permanently goofy.

Sorry, that did sound snarky. Totally not where I was going.
    Hey- our group run would be like Woodstock...
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    @Elise4270 ... was just messin' with you... :)

And me? An old pot smoker.... no way... not me.. not a chance...

3kngbhs1wg4k.jpg
  • Elise4270
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 ... was just messin' with you... :)

And me? An old pot smoker.... no way... not me.. not a chance...

3kngbhs1wg4k.jpg

Lol! Love it. All my childhood photos with my mother, she is stoned. Its kinda funny. (No photos of my Father, she discarded all of 'em.)