The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

ha ha I'd be like, well if I sit here long enough someone will surely notice I haven't come home and start to look...like you know when they get hungry and I'm not there to cook.

Mom's rules of survival. It might take awhile, but *someone* is going to want dinner and a clean pair of jeans for school tomorrow, lol!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ... the first time I ran a "marathon", I just got on the trails with my Camelbak loaded with food and water and ran thirteen miles away from my car. When I hit that mark, I knew I was going to have to find a way to finish no matter what...lol... fear, panic, no phone and a setting sun are indeed VERY motivational...

Does not surprise me at all that's how you did your first marathon! You like beast mode and go into at every opportunity!!!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I would like to ask what people use to carry stuff in while they are out on long runs - water, phones, food, etc. I have this really old running shirt that has pockets in the back I can fit phone and snacks in, but I will have to retire it soon. And now I can't find a running shirt with pockets to replace it! That shirt still doesn't allow me to carry water, though, so I am keen to hear what other people use. I won't carry a water bottle in my hand.

@ceciliaslater : fantastic time for a training run in those conditions!

@MorningGhost14 : I also do all my long runs out and back (not that I am up to your distances - I am talking 18 - 21 km range). I like to eliminate any opportunity to bail on the run.

@kristinegift : good luck with finals!

@GBrady43068 : I can not imagine how difficult it must be to run in those cold conditions. I am very soft in the cold - and we don’t get snow or anything approaching your cold temps. I will often not go out to run if it is under 11C (and I am struggling to get out the door then)

@runner_girl83 : score on the Garmin! And in pink - nice! You are doing an awesome job getting out there with your kids - my hat is off to you.

10.03 km this morning @ 7:56 min/km; Av HR 130; max HR 143.

1 Jan 13.4 km
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 6.3 km
    4 Jan 5.4 km
    5 Jan Rest
    6 Jan 8.3 km
    7 Jan 5.3 km
    8 Jan Rest
    9 Jan 15.3 km
    10 Jan Rest
    11 Jan 6.1 km
    12 Jan 8.3 km
    13 Jan 6.15 km
    14 Jan 6.15 km
    15 Jan Rest
    16 Jan 10.4 km (cutback week)
    17 Jan Rest
    18 Jan 6.16 km
    19 Jan 6.18 km
    20 Jan 10.03 km

Total: 113.47 / 150 km

All my training is slow and easy because increasing mileage for my first marathon in July.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @KatEmmaMarie Have you been scanned for a hiatal hernia? I believe it's usually done with a barium swallow. I am not sure if it shows up on an endoscopy or not. Hope you get things figured out soon.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - oh let them judge you. Their day will come! You are doing the right thing. I had the devil daughter from about 11 months - 4 1/2. OMG, she was just so bad, tantrums, etc. I felt like a terrible mother out in public with her! I remember one day I just threw a cup of cold water on her head because I was so exasperbated. Then around 4 1/2 there was an exorcism (apparently) and she became an angel. She never caused a single problem after that even the teenage years, was an A student, graduated from college and is a hard worker and runner. Actually she got me into running. My husband and I still have PTSD from those years when she was 1-5. :wink:

January goal - 75
    Jan 1 -41 mile bike ride
    Jan 2 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 3 - rest day
    Jan 4 - rest day
    Jan 5 - 5.25 miles
    Jan 6 - 3.3 miles
    Jan 7-11 - Sick :( 5 sick days.
    Jan 12 - 4.1 miles — finally!!! Felt so great.
    Jan 13 - strength training + 1 mile on treadmill
    Jan 14 - 5.2 miles
    Jan 15 - 5.1 miles; trainer cancelled
    Jan 16 - 4.2 miles
    Jan 17 - 6.02 miles
    Jan 18 - Rest Day
    Jan 19 - 7.4 miles. Oh my gosh - my HM is in < 3 weeks! I know I can do it, since I did one in October but I was on a much better plan than this time. Being sick and doing the Holiday Streak in December really through me off. Oh well, lesson learned. Need to map out the weeks prior to HM in the future.

exercise.png

2/7 Daytona Beach HM.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 @Elise4270 Thanks for your responses ladies, I would have responded earlier but I never got an alert for the responses!

As far as a food intolerance, I eat the same foods almost every single day and don't have this pain everyday. If it was food intolerance/allergy, wouldn't it be happening every day if a food was causing it? Also when I get these pains that's all it usually is, no other symptoms just the intense cramping. I will usually sit in the bathroom (sorry for TMI) for long periods of time trying to do SOMETHING to alleviate the pain, but even if I do go to the bathroom it's nothing out of the ordinary and it doesn't stop the pain.

As far as the gallbladder, I've never had it checked out nor have I had a hidascan. The pain is usually just right under my sternum smack dab in the middle. It feels like someone blew my stomach up with air and then is twisting it until it's about to pop or something.

Ya, that sounds like gallbladder. I was lucky, mine just quit working and I had little pain. I was a regular donating blood and my liver enzymes got high enough they said -no more, see a doc.

I understand the bowel trouble. :wink:

Like @skippygirlsmom said, even if no tests confirm anything, docs are usually are good to identify it.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I would like to ask what people use to carry stuff in while they are out on long runs - water, phones, food, etc. I have this really old running shirt that has pockets in the back I can fit phone and snacks in, but I will have to retire it soon. And now I can't find a running shirt with pockets to replace it! That shirt still doesn't allow me to carry water, though, so I am keen to hear what other people use. I won't carry a water bottle in my hand.

Used to use https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DXJQ1K. For Christmas, I got a FlipBelt (http://smile.amazon.com/Level-Terrain-FlipBelt-Waist-Medium/dp/B00JF9DWWU). They both have good points. I don't usually run with water - I used to drop a bottle at about a mile or so from the house, and pick it up on my return route.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort :) My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50
    1/12 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/13 5.08
    1/14 3.14 — have to say, those compression socks rock! first time user, wow! Did s half hour of elliptical too!
    1/15 cross training—elliptical training for 90 minutes. That was good!
    1/16 6.08 —
    1/17 4.32 — coldest miles ever. It was 0 degrees and -20 with windchill. I forgot who mentioned this a couple of days ago, but it is really true: most of what we think we’re unable to do (not everything of course and I recognize different people have different abilities), but most of what we think we cannot do has to do with the mental games we play in our own heads. I would have never imagined walking, let alone running, in a windchill weather like this one!
    1/18 — rest day.
    1/19 6.3 — nice run, in new shoes, in the dark and cold. Ah, so relaxing. I do think I am becoming a runner because I came home without a plan to run, work was really busy, but I just could not sit still before running. I not only missed it, but actually needed it to relax!

61.3/70

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I wear a Nathan hydration belt that holds two 10 oz. bottles. I started out carrying water only; after my experience cramping up at the end of the Buffalo Marathon, I started carrying water in one bottle and Nuun in the other. With several months of training that way to look back on, I think my craving for gels during Buffalo was more driven by the electrolytes than by the calories. Not that extra calories hurt while running 26 miles!

I chose the particular belt I use because it has a large pouch, large enough to hold my wallet. For a year and a half, I carried my wallet in the pouch and carried gels in the small pocket on the outside of the pouch. The reasoning for the wallet is: If I'm in the middle of nowhere and sprain an ankle, the cell phone lets me call a cab. The wallet lets me pay the cab, and show my medical insurance card, and has ID if I'm unconscious, etc. What with running longer mileage, I started needing to carry more gels than fit conveniently in the small pocket; so I started just carrying my driver's license, medical insurance card, and a credit card in the small pocket while I carry more gels in the large pouch. My car key also fits in the small pocket with the ID and credit cards.

My cell phone is in an Otterbox, and then in a clip on leather holster. That clips to my belt when I'm in street clothes, or to the hydration belt when I'm running. The Otterbox ensures that the phone survives when (not if, but when) I knock it off the belt. In rainy weather, the phone goes inside a ziplock bag. In very cold weather, the phone and its ziplock bag go in a SPI belt that goes over my base layer but under the other layers.

20 ounces of water and Nuun will get me through a half marathon in reasonable weather. It's not enough for a marathon. At Buffalo I used the water stations early, before being too tired to deal with paper cups after mile 20 or so; but I had water left then. The strategy worked.

Different people prefer different solutions to carrying water. One of my running buddies has a belt much like mine. Another carries a bladder in a backpack, the style that Camelback made popular. You just have to try different things and see what works for you.

I'm a bit of a pack horse. I see a lot of runners who do not carry water, even in hot humid weather. I get the argument that they don't want to carry the weight in a race; I figure in a race long enough that I need water, I'll lose less time from the weight than I would from using a water station in my typically inefficient manner. And I have the water with me when I need it, not just at the locations selected by the race organizers. And there typically aren't water stations on my training routes.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/13 - 8.02 easy and snowy
    1/14 - 8.70 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/15 - scheduled rest day
    1/16 - 13.64 with hills
    1/17 - 12.05 easy
    1/18 - 8.53 easy plus 4 strides
    1/19 – 7.94 warmup, speed work, cool down

January to date total – 159.99

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - 2 mile warm up before, and 2 mile cool down after the speed workout: 4 x 200 at R, 1 x 800 at T, 2 x 600 at R, 4 x 200 at R. R is challenging. I held the R pace well through the 200's, and through 2 laps of the 600's; but I couldn't hold it for the full 600m intervals. I did better with the 2nd 600, which gave me some hope. Coach tells me this is part of a normal progression, and if I keep working it I'll get better. On the bright side, trying to hold an aggressive pace keeps my mind off the boredom of running circles on an indoor track.

Oh, well. Tomorrow I get to run outside again.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal 70 miles

1/1 3.69
    1/2 4.15
    1/3 3.12
    1/4 rest
    1/5 3.31
    1/6 5.59
    1/7 rest
    1/8 3.00
    1/9 heavy duty yard work
    1/10 3.27
    1/11 3.38
    1/12 snorkel 3 hours
    1/13 6.39
    1/14 rest
    1/15 3.12 (and some more heavy duty yard work)
    1/16 4.25
    1/17 3.05
    1/18 rest
    1/19 3.00

Total 49.32

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    11/13/16 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    @Virkati - so glad all is well, sort of! Hope you are able to kick that crud soon! I know of a lot of people who having been fighting it for a while too!
    @MorningGhost14 - I guess I can't complain about my run... it wasn't cold, or windy and was still terrible! I am still amazed that you were able to get in 10 in those conditions!
    @michable - I only carry my phone and poop bags for the pup when I go on my regular runs. Long runs I also usually take a snack and treats for the pup (he is working hard too) and sometimes water. I have a stretchy spibelt for my regular runs and a fitletic belt for my longer runs and races. I also carrying anything in my hands when I run so I have to have a belt or pockets to at least put my phone in.
    @snha - I believe this is the point where you have to start admitting that you are an addict - 'Hello my name is Shana and I am addicted to running!' :)

Slow and sluggish 5 miles today. I wanted to be out there but my legs were not interested in any part of it. Hopefully a rest day tomorrow will help!

Date..........Miles.........Total
    01/01.......0.00..........0.00 - total rest/slug day. Did walk 1.5 miles with the pup
    01/02.......9.33..........9.33
    01/03.......0.00..........0.00
    01/04.......7.16........16.49 + Agility
    01/05.......4.14........20.63 Treadmill run + Strength Training
    01/06.......0.00........20.63
    01/07.......5.33........25.96 + Strength Training
    01/08.......4.14........30.10
    01/09.....12.21........42.31
    01/10.......0.00........42.31
    01/11.......4.54........46.85 + Agility
    01/12.......3.64........50.49 + Strength Training
    01/13.......0.00........50.49
    01/14.......5.32........55.81 + Strength Training
    01/15.......5.47........61.28 - half way to goal on the 15th of the month!!
    01/16.......0.00........61.28
    01/17.......7.55........68.83
    01/18.......4.51........73.34 + Agility
    01/19.......5.15........78.49 + Strength Training

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    All of the talk and pictures of of new shoes made me start looking and I ended up ordering these... I blame it on all of you that I am now approaching the number of pairs of shoes that @MorningGhost14 has in his rotation!
    wkbyp8hxcmlr.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @michable I love shirts with pockets! And I try not to buy running pants that don't have pockets. Learned that lesson too late, though, so I still have some pocketless ones around...
    As you said, pockts don't help with water, so all my long runs in summer I did with this:
    PUMA-Hydration-Waist-Belt - a nice large water bottle at the back, a little pocket to store keys and stuff at the front.
    My new jobs came with an on-call phone, which is too big to fit into that belts pocket (or most other pockets, really... sometimes I really miss the time when they were trying to make phones smaller, rather than increasing the display sizes with each new version!). So I've just ordered myself a flip belt, along with a weirdly shaped water bottle that you can stuff behind it. I haven't tested them yet, so I can't tell you how well that works.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3.4 miles today, 28.8 miles in total. Really good run, my speed averaged 11.49 minute miles, the first time I've been under 12.10 minute miles. Really pleased with that as I didn't feel like I was running any faster than usual :)
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 @MobyCarp @shanaber @_nikkiwolf_ : thanks for your responses! I will definitely be checking out some of those hydration belts you mentioned.

@shanaber : love that you carry food and treats for the pup!

@_nikkiwolf_ : I would love to hear how the flip belt and water bottle combo go.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
    1/8—5.29 km..about to kill my lungs. Sick of the congestion
    1/9—5.01 km
    1/10—10.48 km-
    1/12—4.55 km skipped 1/11 due to it being cold and rainy
    1/13—3.64 km
    1/14—5.14 km
    1/17—3.30 km after a weekend away
    1/18—3.22 km
    1/19—5.09 km
    1/20—5.01 km rainy and cold in the evening...most likely will not run tomorrow.
  • moremonica
    moremonica Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I started my glucosamine tablets yesterday. I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

I am hoping to run for at least a mile tomorrow.
    It will be very embarrassing to be in this group and have a 10 mile goal and not make it.
  • MMillard77
    MMillard77 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am really interested in the answers to this! I've tried a camelbak but it makes me sweat too heavily in the heat (defeats the purpose!), I think I'll try again when the weather cools down. What snacks do you eat while running?

My run was a little shorter tonight, but faster than my last. Felt like hard work though and was a real mental challenge...

I set my goal at 20km because I started so late in the month and I figured 3km x 3 times per week was a good place to start, but I'm finding I am enjoying it enough to run a little longer and a little more often than planned. Does anyone know of any good "beginner" training plans? I think I would like to plan better for Feb.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day
    1/9: 12.2 miles with the Saturday crew
    1/10: 5 miles
    1/11: 5.8 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/12: Rest day
    1/13: 4 miles treadmill (am), 7.1 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    1/14: 6 miles (am), no second run :[
    1/15: Rest day
    1/16: 7 miles with Saturday crew
    1/17: 10 miles
    1/18: 6 miles with "Joe-to-Go" crew
    1/19: Rest day/final finals day
    1/20: 4 miles (am)

Very lackluster run this morning. Took ages to fall asleep last night, so my 6:45 alarm came way too soon. I am trying to get a new pair of shoes adjusted (I like mine much, much looser than how they come in the box) and could not get them comfortable. They were squeezing my toe, making the tendon feel irritated again, the heels were too loose but the tie felt too tight -- even though I only have about 2 inches of lace to deal with. And the weird tight/loose feeling was making my calves ache. So I threw in the towel and cut my route in half. I've never had so much of an issue getting my laces adjusted before! It's the same brand/model as my other shoes, so I figured they'd be easy. Maybe I'm just too used to the broke down, worn out shoes, so these feel too tight because there's actually cushioning in them!

Will be running in older shoes tonight at my group run, so hopefully things will feel a-OK then!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)