Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    yesterday i didn't do much cuz i was experimenting w/kirby and his exercise. he said that he could go over 90 rpm's no matter how hard he tried. i asked him what gear he had it on and he said 12. i told him that's why (1-24 gears). i said you have it set at a starting point based on the old you. we went on the bikes for 15min and i had him start at a 9 gear. well guess what, he went up to 100rpms. was still up there at 10 too. plus i told him that all bikes are not calibrated the same so he has to adjust on each bike that he gets on. that cheered him up.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thinking about everyone in the snow... stay safe and warm and do not overdo it out there shoveling. <3

Pip - I'm certain that Kirby will exceed his doctor's expectation of "most people". If she continues to be a negative Nellie, then might be time to look for someone more encouraging for his continuing recovery.

Mary - Sorry about your toe. Ouch!

Well, I slept in this morning and have sat around catching up on posts all morning. Guess it will soon be time to get moving. Yesterday, we spent the day at another show choir competition. You are kind of stuck with what they offer at concessions for food and the school did not plan well. They ran out of many things early for both lunch and dinner. I ended up with a piece of cheese pizza and an apple for lunch and some pasta for dinner. Somehow I ended up less than 100 calories over my allowance. Show choir was fun. Sophi's group was announced as third out of ten groups, but then she texted us later to say there was a mistake and they really got second. Waiting for her to wake up to explain. She also plays in the band for the varsity group. That group was overall winner and received best vocals and best band awards. It was a long day. We left home around 7:30 a.m. and did not get home until just after 1:00 a.m. And that is why I slept in this morning. :)

Have a great Sunday!

Linda/IA
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well all that reading used up a good part of two hours. Means to fridge raiding.

Elaine
    Congrats on your loss your going the right way. no guess if your looking at the scale you want it to go left lol.

Sylvia
    I as well love the cottage in winter. Love the crackling of the fire. But it's not opened to get there. And of course i'm bitching about wanting to go there. Oh well guess I have to wait. But it's -1 so nice out.

Bonnie
    Leslie Sansone plays on UTube if the tv is busy

DJ
    Isn't it great to be able to send clothes that are to big to charity.

Becky
    Losing a friend is so hard. Last year I lost a very good friend to complications with her kidneys due to weight. It sure is an eye opener.

Michelle
    Think it's time for new boots. Them did to much closet time and dryed up.

Mary
    Sounds like a big bo bo hope it's not broken.

Well for me wii smiled at me this morning. I'm happy for that. But sorry I binged last night. After the gain of yesterday morning I kind of got in this why am I doing this mode. But having a good day so far today. Breakfast boiled egg and 1 oz of cheese and snack a teaspoon peanut butter. So that should be low carb enough to content the diabetic demons. Now going down to get the rest of veg. soup. Going to make beef barley this afternoon for tomorrows lunch.

It's nice here today at -1 no sun but that's ok i'll be my own sun shine. Just be Jolly anyhow.

See you all Lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DJ, short bus refers to the school bus that is shorter than a regular school bus, only holds a few students, and is used to transport the students who receive special education services. Just like people say, "she is not the sharpest crayon in the box" or "he is one beer short of a six-pack" or something similar to describe someone who isn't smart, they might say, "bet you rode the short bus to school."

I confess that I myself have used and have been called OCD when it isn't really appropriate and is disrespectful of those who really have the disorder. Bi-polar is another term used inappropriately. Most people really don't mean any disrespect and do it out of ignorance. Calling them out may or may not be helpful. It may only bring on a rant about being tired of all the political correctness hype. I still think it's important to gently remind folks that they are being hurtful. I would hope someone would correct me if I used a term innocently that was actually inappropriate.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm sure it is not broken. Just bruised.

<3

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Well, I guess it's noon already, so good afternoon instead. We are just about to pack up and head home from the lake. The dishwasher just finished. That's our cue to go back. The dogs are having a singalong because a neighbor just walked by. It's hilarious to watch but I know the sound travels all around the lake, so we try to discourage it. Sometimes.

Miriam, I cannot go the the shelter. It's just too hard for me to leave empty handed. I took dog food out to donate once and cried all the way home. I think one more dog and hubby would divorce me. I've considered getting a cat o live at the studio, but he doesn't like that idea either. He knows it would just be a matter of time before that cat came home with me, and he's probably right. I wouldn't want to leave it at night.

Time to go! More later.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Mary my so dropped a wrought iron railing on his toe a number of years ago. We took the railing off so we could move a couch. It did cause a break for him. If your toe continues to bother you it might be worth checking out.

Kim As a teacher I have to be extra careful what words and tone I use. I know one of the current phrases to say when you make a mistake is "My bad". I do not care for it. I usually say "so sorry" instead. For me it is just a preference. I know what the person means when they say it, and take it in that vain.

I think the woman became defensive and her words were poorly chosen. It was your right to set a boundary. Good for you.

:heart: Margaret
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, and what really bothers me is not misusing bipolar but using mania or manic to imply violence. Many people have mania without any violence. But sometimes it feels like people are minimizing my pain when they misuse bipolar or depression or mania. I also have OCD traits, which are very common in people with bipolar disorder, and my son who also has bipolar disorder, a severe social phobia, PTSD has OCD. The two of us are able to joke about our illnesses, but it is different when others use it negatively. My philosophy has always been if I can't laugh at it, how can I live with it.

I do know, having been a mental health advocate, that parents of kids with mental illnesses can be hurt by others using the terms crazy or psycho. My son's pet name for me is psycho. And it doesn't bother me at all. But if someone were to call me psycho as a put down, I would be all in their face about it. (And for the record, psychotic means that someone is out of touch with reality by having delusions or hallucinations. Delusions are thoughts, hallucinations are sensations like hearing or seeing or feeling. So a delusion would be that someone was trying to harm me, where a hallucination would be a voice telling me that someone was trying to harm me or seeing someone come at me with a knife that wasn't really there.) My form of bipolar disorder, type 2 does not have any psychosis. Bipolar disorder type 1 does. My manias are not as extreme as someone with bipolar type 1 but my depression is far deeper and longer than someone with type 1.

Another thing many people do not realize is that OCD means Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The compulsions are the handwashing, cleaning, and rearranging type behaviors that people are familiar with but can also be counting compulsions or checking compulsions. The obsessions part is thoughts that one cannot turn off, like a broken record that just keeps repeating. Sometimes these are really horrifying to the person having them. One woman in my support group had obsessions that she would harm her children. She would never permit herself to be alone with her own children for fear of harming them. She had been incorrectly diagnosed as having psychosis, and when she was finally correctly diagnosed and treated after I pointed out her misdiagnosis, she cried over missing so much of her children's childhood.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Just had the game stew - delicious!
    Tried a roasted cabbage idea from yesterday's paper. I liked it a lot. It's just like roasted brussels sprouts but with the cabbage cut in quarters and rubbed in oil and seasoning. The outer leaves char, which I liked, but they were a bit tough for DH. 30 mins in a 400 oven. I was doing the baked potato so it wasn't wasteful on fuel.
    Also on TV today they had a whole roasted cauliflower, blanched whole first, covered in yoghurt and mixed curry spices and roasted until it browns. Not long. They served it with watered down tahini and pomegranate molasses poured over. Can put pomegranate seeds on for a special occasion. Might try it one day for a novel starter for veggies. :D Would look lovely on the table. I've bookmarked it.

Looking forward very much to tomorrow evening. I'm going to dash out during the day to get fresh flowers and some brussels sprouts to roast. The "neeps" and "tatties" that are traditional with the haggis are turnips (rutabaga) and potatoes. I am going to make a mash of them together and add some mashed carrot. Got to check I've got everything for the whisky sauce. Has chives in it, if I remember rightly.

Kim - I heard today that haggis has been banned as an import to the USA for some years. Apparently they are now going to allow it in. :drinker: They said on the radio that it is incredibly popular all over the world now. Only get MacSweens - by far the best. :D

Love Heather UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Today has just been an emotional day for me, can't tell ya why, just alot going on I guess. bust out in tears,pot overboiled on stove and it was a freakin mess.. i got some of it up,but Tom is the master stove cleaner so let him do it and I finished the dishes,
    we went to the store, Tom went and bought sneakers and I had to pick up a few things for the resident's down at the nursing home.. I have to stay up at Jeans this friday and saterday night, come home take a shower on Sunday and go to the rescheduled show that my cousin is in at 1:30..
    so Tom wont see me next weekend.. and Valentines weekend Jean is flying down thursday and coming home monday to see Sean so again I will be staying with Faith, so he gets out of doing anything for me for Valetines day.. since we aren't really celebrating doesnt much matter.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Mary....OUCHHHHH! Hope it gets better soon. Doesn't Shep realize that if you can't walk he can't go on fun walks?
    To all those battling winters' ailments, hope you feel better soon.

Fortunately we got only about 2" of snow here and it is a gloriously sunny day today. I feel for all of you who got blasted with snow but so thankful it didn't reach us.

I've been dealing with some personal setbacks since the end of last year and got off track for a bit. I was slowly sinking Into depression and self medicating with sugar. I gained a couple of pounds which scared me but I couldn't get back on track and blew off exercise. This was not good at all. Slowly I've managed to get past it, I hope.

I took Jake out for a long walk earlier, did a kettlebell session and then 20 minutes on the elliptical to bank a few calories before I go off to watch the Patriots game with friends. Better get going...game time in 1/2 hour.

Everyone have a great day!
    Chris in MA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm putting down calorie burn of 300 for 2.5 hours of shoveling! I think I've earned it! DH was pushing too hard and I wasn't very diplomatic about it, very touchy when I hover; but folks with heart issues should not be so macho with the shovelling, it's downright dangerous. Anyway, I managed to change shovels with him to give him the smaller one, thinking it would mean less weight, but he just went faster!! All is well, he is napping on the couch and I am off to pick up daughter who is playing at a church gig. We live above NYC and got only 15 inches while some boroughs got 30"!
    Have a great start to the week everyone.
    Karen from NY
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Miriam - My daughter and I joke a lot about "the crazy gene" but it wouldn't be funny if someone else did it. She has decided that that she does not want to ever bear children so that the gene won't get passed down.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 28.32min, 9.12ap/min mi, 6.5-7.2sp, 132ahr, 150mhr, 5k = 256c
    skip/scissors/sidestep- 10min, 149ahr, 163mhr = 146c
    total cal 402
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Carol, my middle son is the same way. The other two, who are not as severely affected, have had children. We have early onset in our family, and so I am constantly looking for mood swings, but so far the two I see a lot are showing no signs. The three in Idaho I don't see so cannot keep an eye on them. My middle son, who was my former husband's scapegoat so got the brunt of his abuse, also is not willing to be in relationships since he found himself reverting to his dad's behavior when he did live with a young woman for three years. I concur with his decisions.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chris in MA – I’m not really surprised about the bike on the RR track; gives you a better idea of the size. Maybe the RR has been abandoned by the RR Company. I guess if you rode it down the center you’d get a good workout, hitting the ties and gravel. The Bike Club in Albany, GA is trying to get the abandoned RR tracks turned into walking/biking paths. Don’t know where they will go with this; but, there are a lot of rails that have been abandoned. We have one that goes through Bronwood; but, is used by a train everyday moving peanuts and cotton to the gins and packing companies in Dawson. The ones they have ‘abandoned’ are grave yards for cars until they need them.

Fanncy0626 – I’d love to have wooden floors; but, living on a dirt road, even though we are ‘off’ it a good ways and have pine trees planted … I’d be dusting and moping every day between that and Cracker. Cracker thinks she is a ‘lap dog’. It’s funny to watch her climb up into my lap; a few weeks ago, she surprised DH when she ‘jumped’ into his lap. I knew she was up to something because of the way she was looking at him.

Several years ago, I dropped one of those big round cement stepping stones on my big toe; broke the name across it in half. MD said I would probably lose it; but, I kept it wrapped up and I didn’t. Try slamming you thumb in a locked car door – talk about blood. My nail still has not connected to the bed totally yet and that was about 2 years ago. It’s getting there though.

Thinking about all y’all who have been blasted by the sleet and/or snow. I’m cold today but at least we have electricity and don’t have to get out in the wind and cold. Went through pictures of DYS to send to DDnL#2 – I don’t know what she is up to unless she is planning on putting some in the journal she writes in every day that is going to be a present to him on their first (paper) anniversary. Will is going to have to learn that she likes to celebrate just about anything and everything. She keeps the journal hidden from him at all times and writes in it when he is out at the lake house working (his trailer that is on the land he manages for 5 men). But, she writes in it daily – I’m sure she puts down all the positive things about them as a couple and him as a step-Dad.

DamitJanit – I don’t like the taste of Cilantro and avoid dishes that have it in it. I put parsley in a dish instead when it calls for Cilantro. Gives it that ‘green’ to it and doesn’t have a taste.

Pip – I’m sorry that Kirby has had such a hard time; but, that is what we sometimes get when we get older. Our bones and muscles don’t do like they did even 20 years ago.

We keep Oreo thins at the house, I only eat the 4 they show as a serving. Other than that, I might eat some brownies when DH makes them.

Sorry to hear that so many are sick with flu-like symptoms. I had it about a month ago, even though I had had the vaccine. Must have been a different strain. Felt good for about a week and then it jumped on me a 2nd time. More meds; and, finally a steroid to really kick it out. But, they really make my mouth so dry.

I can’t imagine being 1300 posts behind. I usually mark my spot and jump ahead if there are more than 3 pages. I know I miss a lot; but, I just cannot spend that much time going back and reading them. It’s bad enough to have 75.

GodMomKim – I can’t believe that someone can be so crass. I worked with a lady who had be ‘in a concentration camp’. I did not know it until I asked about the ### tattooed on her left forearm; then, I got the entire story (from my boss). It helped me understand her a whole lot better. Little old Jewish lady that we had to hide the $$$ from so she would not lay it out on the counter to count. Even hid the pistol. She would still get down on her hands and knees and try to find it in a hole in the toe kick. I finally started pushing it as far back as I could reach myself. I’m surprised that in all the time I worked there we never got held up. The front door to the place faced the outgoing lane from the parking garage and there were bars on the windows and wine on shelves in front of them. Could not be seen from West Peachtree Street. Only one way in and out.

Miriam - I hear that old adage about ‘sticks and stones’ … I think ‘words’ do more harm. I used to just look at my Mother – who had a ‘saying’ for just about everything. Somethings help in everyday; such as “My Dear Aunt Sally …”. I have several books about what a lot of these saying mean and how they got started. I can also remember my Mother saying ‘kill them with kindness’ (basically meaning) if you are nice to someone who had said or done something to you that was not taken correctly; or if they were just being mean – killing them with kindness sometime takes the wind out of their sails. They are expecting you to get mad and act just as ugly so they can continue the argument. My DDnL#1does it all the time. She tell the same story about something that my DOS had already told me about; yet, slant it 'her' way. Two people can't tell the same story and take the credit for it. For some reason, when she does this in front of him, there are eyes rolling! But, to tell you the truth; I generally believe my son more.

cityjanetLondon – I’ve never heard the term ‘wog’. I know when my parents went to Russia and my Dad asked something of a native and he understood what he was saying; he made the ‘sign’ that Americans use as the “OK” sign – thumb to forefinger and the other 3 up; the translator about knocked everybody over when he apologized to the man. Then he turned and told my Dad that was a ‘sign’ that was like our ‘birdie’ sing (middle finger up and all the others folded down. It embarrassed my Dad so much and he had the translator apologize for him to the man, telling him he did not know that ‘signs’ were universal. Just like words mean something in one area; and, something totally different in others.

Drkatiebug – I agree that Bipolar is a term used if someone has an ‘angry’ remark; and it isn’t like that to be bipolar. My DDnL#1 makes a point of the fact that I am ‘bipolar’. Not appropriate – but I’d bite, because I ‘think’ she is. I’m not defined by my bipolar disorder – I am my own person, and I just happen to have Bipolar Disorder. Something that nobody can tell when I take my medications like I am instructed to do. When I can’t fall asleep at night that is the first thing I check … to make sure I have taken it. I take all my bipolar meds at night; and, they make me sleepy. Like last night – got up at 1:30am and took them, fell asleep when I got back in bed. I think sometimes this world has become too ‘politically correct’ to the point that our young people ‘expect’ a reward for everything. Sometimes you have to learn that no matter how hard you try, someone is going to do it better and they are going to get the job for doing it. I don’t think that our young people who are on FB realize that what they say or post there is there for all time. Now-a-days everybody has to apply for something ‘online’. But, nothing is as good as a face-to-face interview. When I was culling out people who were applying for the job of ‘clerk’ for my boss – a lot of them were taken out because simply of the things they said they were involved in. For that position, you had to be able to see things from both sides of the story in order to find the necessary law to back your Order to prove which side was right and how the other side was incorrect. Or how what they used to prove their case was either right or wrong.

Margaret – I don’t like the term “My bad” either – seems like they just can’t find it in themselves to actually apologize for something. It’s like I used to tell my children sometimes ‘I’m sorry’ is a day late and a dollar short. You have to actually mean it and change things so you remember not to repeat those actions. They thought if they said, “I’m sorry” they would not get into trouble. They needed to think about what they had done. I always explained to them what they had done and why a casual ‘I’m sorry’ really when they really did not mean it did not ‘fly’ with me.

Miriam – I have Bipolar II, also, but, I’ve only been depressed maybe two, maybe 3 times. My mood is generally one step to the manic side; and when I get low; it is like flying and then coming down on a thick skin of ice and back up again. I hate it when a MD tries to get me ‘textbook therapeutic’ or ‘normal’ according to the books. I take my medications like I am ordered to and I’d never ‘think’ of trying to ‘self-medicate’ myself. The MD that I go to who manages my bipolar meds and/or all the rest of them that can interact with them has me just exactly where I feel best. That is one small step on the ‘manic’ side of things. I know when my medications are getting ‘whacked out’ and I can call him anytime and he can sometimes adjust my medications over the phone. I don’t know how losing weight has affected my medications; but, I sleep a LOT during the day. I’m thinking that he needs to do something a little different; but, I will find out what that is tomorrow when I go to him. I’d say my mood swings are like being able to ‘skip stones’ across a lake.
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Lenora, I sure wish I could say that I was one step to the manic side! That is what all of us aspire to! But I am many steps to the low side most of the time even with meds. But I am sure that part of that is from being a neglected child. I have read a lot of books about "motherless children" through absence or neglect, and I sure fit the profile to a T. Lack of trust, independence, and low mood.