WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• m1cbry
    m1cbry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    STRUGGLING to stay motivated! I can't seem to get into the right mindset!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Miriam ... The bedroom looks perfect for a young girl!

KJ ... I'm near Buffalo ... If you get my weather we are experiencing a huge change in climate! Lol!

Ok ... Here is a photo of my last estate sale find that DH and I refinished and hung yesterday (that didn't go well ...)! Does anyone know what these were called or if they were used for a specific type of display? I just liked it and will use as is, but I'm curious.

7033o73alak2.jpeg
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Beth, that is lovely. It might be referred to as a shadow box. Or a decorative shelf unit. It is a modern interpretation of the Victorian shelf units with mirrored backs so you can see the backs of the curios. I have some of them in my house. One of the few things I still miss that I had to leave behind when I fled the abusive marriage was one of these. I will go take a photo to share of my favorite.
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    np9urcj5vpar.jpg
    Currently empty since I just removed all the Christmas decorations. I love this one since the angled sides exactly match the angles of the angled corner. It was like it was made for this house, but I found it at an antique store.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    yes I think it is called a shadow box...
    ate a few naughty things ,but logged them... stopped up at DSIL house and she was showing the companion what needs to be done, I have to go up the next couple of days just be there for moral support for Olivia..
    also went down and got my DFIL fed.. now back and having a cup of herbal tea.. and a load of laundry in the wash,will sweep and wash the family room floor before work.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hooray, hooray - I threw some more things AWAYYYYYYY!
    Actually I took a hoover that was the most useless appliance I have ever bought (was always clogging up and cutting out) and a portable aerial we used at our rented house down to the electrical recycling centre. :D They've been sitting there since we moved in 5 years ago and we were so used to them we didn't see them any more. :noway: They certainly weren't sparking any JOY! :laugh:
    Also took my wedding clothes, party clothes and five paperbacks to the charity shop. I'm on a roll! The lady in there wanted my husband's details to claim tax back on the sale. :D

Then I picked up my haggis for Burns Night along with a tiny haggis for just me to have for an occasional lunch. I cut it in two and froze it. Still horribly fattening, but it won't be often. :* Bought a whole lot of food and then returned to our lovely WARM house which I appreciated very much. :bigsmile:
    For a dessert on Burns Night I wanted something light, so I am making a blood orange sorbet. It needs Aperol, a light orange bitter liqueur a bit like Campari. I've ordered it from Amazon, so I hope it comes in time. I bought blood orange juice. Will be making, or buying, Langues de Chat biscuits. (Cat's tongue) :laugh:

Tonight's dinner is spicy roast duck legs with fresh spinach and mushy peas. I will put a few potatoes around the duck for DH. <3 He is currently in the kitchen cooking apples with our own blackcurrants from last year. Last night we had our own gooseberries. Wonderful! With homemade yoghurt.

Chores done for the day. Will be relaxing with A Place In The Sun at 4pm. Oh, the retired life! B)

Heather in the cold UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Beth and Miriam love the shadow boxes.

Sylvia what fun earring.

Have a great day!

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Penny - (and other birders) - We don't have many bullfinches down here although I have seen them in Cornwall. DH records all the species of birds he has seen in the garden. Currently it stands at 29, including the kestrel that visited last week. There have been another 5 species in the field behind us. Today a flock of long tailed tits visited us. Yesterday we had a pair of chaffinches, who have been absent for a while. <3
    It was one of the unexpected bonuses of moving down here into the countryside that we can just sit in our living room and watch so much activity. I am jealous of the humming birds though that some of you have. :)

Heather UK
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Linda, I think we should all plan to go on a cruise together some year. What do you think? Glad you had fun bowling. That is what it’s all about, not the score.

MicheleNC, I am only back up to 1 minute on my plank but just glad I can do that much. You are just such an exercise inspiration! I hear all of you talk about how bad you feel if you eat processed sugar or carbs and I wish I did. I can eat anything and feel fine.

Sylvia, I love your earrings. And the table. What a buy and seems like it’s exactly what you were looking for.

Miriam, great bedroom and what a cool idea for extra storage. The girls are very lucky!

Dorene, welcome. Lots of us have found that it’s easy to gain weight back if we go on a diet and then off of it. That is why many of us have adopted this as a lifelong journey of eating healthy and exercising. (Some way more than others on both counts.) Come often for support and information.

Joyce, IN, so sorry that you are under the weather. Sending healing thoughts your way. And for Pete’s sake, if ya can’t taste it anyway, don’t be eating Pizza! boo.gif

Allie, sorry to hear that your fitbit probably bit the dust. Can you replace just the battery?

Penny, so happy you are soon to see the light. I still can’t even imagine such a way to live. So interesting!

Heather, I love seeing pictures of your grands. They are the cutest things!!!! I am noticing so much that brings me joy now that I have slowed down to notice. I think when I was working, I just never gave it that much thought. I have a friend that is constantly talking about moving here or there as she doesn’t seem happy where she is. I finally asked her what she thought would be different to make her happier, in one of those places, where she knows no one. She thought for a few minutes and said, I guess it wouldn’t. I know I am so lucky because I’ve basically been happy most of my life but I strongly feel that so much of that is what we choose to feel.

Elaine, that is terrible that your neighbor’s family has to empty his house in 7 days. My heart goes out to them.

Beth, what a beautiful piece! I have no idea what it is called but it looks like ya’ll did a wonderful job of refinishing it.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I need to get moving and get some things done. I’m going to cut my hair. I can’t remember how long it’s been since m last haircut but think this will be just right for it to still be good for the cruise. I need to get my nails done but will wait two or three days so I will time it right to have it done again right before the cruise. Can you tell that as much as I love cruising, I love to plan them? LOL That is why I always book a year ahead. I have a Moose meeting tonight so may not get to check back till in the morning. The temperature will get to low 20’s here tonight which is “cold” for us. I hope all of you are staying warm up in the frozen North.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps-
    I love the bedroom and the colors and the furniture mariamwithcats!!!!!

I have a potential buyer for my bug. It's the spin instructor that loaned is the spin bike. I told her if she knew anyone that was interested to let me know. She said, sold! I'll give u cash tomorrow! I had her put on the breaks and told her to come see it first and take it to her guy that does bodywork so she can make an educated purchase. I didn't want her buying something and regret it later. I don't want to ruin our relationship because of it. We will c what shakes today.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :|
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! This morning I decided what to do with our original table. We moved a big bookcase into another room and put the table up against that wall to use as a desk, or as a sideboard when needed.

The new table is fully extended right now, making it square, since the kids are coming for dinner tonight. It felt a little funny when I set the table for breakfast this morning and put my bowl in its regular spot and hubby's bowl WAY over on the other side. It's going to take some getting used to, unless we shrink it down when the kids aren't here. But normally hubby and I eat breakfast at different times anyway. I eat before I work out and he eats after. Dinner will be odd though. Today I'm going to look for a new table cloth that fits better, and some new placemats. I'll need to start looking for four more chairs, too. We have some chairs that belonged to hubby's mom that are dangerous. In the picture you can see one of them with its back facing the camera and two more on the opposite side. They have really sharp points on those backs that can be painful, and the seats are uncomfortable. And they are really old and the wood is brittle. We started out with eight of those chairs and hubby has broken three just sitting on them wrong. We also have her gate leg table which broke years ago. That was the most unhandy table I've ever tried to use. There was no place to put your legs because of the way the table legs were.

I was remembering when I was a kid, my dad's parents had a huge round ebony pedestal table that held us all for sit down dinners. Eating around that table were some of my favorite memories of going to grandmas house.

I posted a picture of my new earrings on a Facebook page for potters and this morning 348 people have "liked" them. I'm hoping my friend the jeweler will get some orders out of this. She's in treatment for breast cancer, so she could use the money. She's doing pretty well though. She had a lumpectomy and some chemo but has come through it really well. I think they caught it early. She's one of my favorite people.

Today is my one week shiny sink anniversary. Hooray! A new record! I have to say, I thought it was silly, but it feels great! I've been faithfully putting the clean dishes away and the dirty ones right into the dishwasher.

I'm seriously going to shave our dogs. I cannot believe the amount of dog hair I sweep up week after week. Why aren't they bald yet!?!

Well, I have a lot to do. Have a great day, everyone!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Miriam, I love the drawers! And that chest with the rainbow colored drawers!

Becca, I love those tiny trucks. Didn't know the steering wheel was on the other side though. I'd have trouble with that.

Sylvia
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Pip, you are so smart to make sure your friend knows what she is getting in to.

Sylvia, I find that dog hair is a much bigger problem than cat hair. The cat hair ends up on the throws I have all over, so I toss them in the wash frequently. The dog hair ends up all over the house! My dog hates to be brushed - I think she was struck with a brush by the abuser I took her from. So I don't brush her as much as I would otherwise. She cowers and shakes and pees herself. Not normal behavior. She is now eight, so I don't think the fear will ever go away.

Hope all that are sick heal quickly. I have been very lucky lately, but the first winter I had the girls I was constantly sick- strep throat twice, pneumonia twice, bronchitis four times. We were not sure I could manage to keep the girls, but last year and this year so far no illness. It is no fun to be sick, and us women tend to just keep going even when we are sick. So take care of yourselves.

DJ. I never liked the idea of a cruise. But I saw that there are cruises you can take down the Mississippi, that stop at historical places along the way, to New Orleans. That one I would actually consider. You can see land the entire time!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Saw something, Sylvia, made me think of you. Lady used alphabet pasta for messaging on cups, etc., and then it burns off in the firing, to leave precise lettering. Pretty cool...

Thanks all for the hugs, the back is doing OK as long as I baby it a bit. Giving it a few days before I go back to working out hard.

Lisa in West Texas
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My drawers don't look nearly as good ad DrKatie's but they sure look better than they did. And gosh do I have more room now. Of course some of that could be because I got rid of some that were just too huge to wear.
    yk9e7d7sdvva.jpg
    340rab8u0jer.jpg
    wtlviqdqdljg.jpg
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DJ ~ Neat! :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    well when I have some free time, will have to try that out, as for now im off to work...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Everyone on here is so busy. A lot of cleaning going on! I have a few drawers and closets that I need to clean out as well. I love all the pictures that people have been posting. The shadowboxes are a reminder of my DM IL. They used to actually cut a hole into the wall and insert it. That way the frame was flush with the wall.

Mariam- I love the bedroom it is a child's dream room! A lot of love when into that.

Heather - The picture of your grandkids made me smile! Thanks! They are so adorable.

Stronglifts rest day

Goblet squats-3X7X 25
    Kettle bell swing-22X9X 25

I can feel my fat burning machine revving up!

<3

Mary from Minnesota