WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Beth, from one emotional eater to another, one day at a time, one hour at a time, we can get through this. And give yourself permission to have an occasional bad day. Life is hard! We don't need to be hard on ourselves on top of that! Just climb back on the wagon and start the day over. My sugar addiction is so similar to alcoholism. I even started to do some of the same behaviors to hide how much sugar I was eating, as if no one could tell just by looking at me! LOL Hang in there. We love you!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Mia~ dont worry I started off alright and it's only 11 and blew it already..I logged it and so it goes, did take a nice bath and I am going to ere on the side of caution, I really would love to go to the wake tonight..but with a nasty cold I dont want to infect anyone with it..really want to bid a fond farwell to a great friend..will take the boys for a walk and then stop at family dollar to at least get a sympathy card.. then off to work..
    DD is finally texting me without scathing nastiness, only because DGD has to have 2 silver caps and a few fillings done.. sure wish I was there to be of some comfort,but Taliah is a trooper she will be fine. told Tracy to buy some act rinse for her and make sure she properly brushes, because grandma didn't do so well with hers when she was younger either.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I needed to check in and see everyone's posts for encouragement this morning.

Lisa and Beth - I also had a binge yesterday. A whole pack of double stuff Oreos went down the gullet. I've now confessed and am moving on. And, yes, I logged it. I blame stress but I need another way to deal with it.

I feel so tired and discouraged today. I'm sure the sugar binge didn't help but the break in is the biggest culprit, I think. I have most everything cleaned up in my office. The pastor is downstairs cleaning in the kitchen. If he doesn't get done before his dentist appointment this morning, I will go down and finish.

Off I go to sort two weeks of offering envelopes (already empty) that the robber flung all over the floor.

Carol in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    I am delighted to announce that I was over my allotment of calories by 2 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups yesterday. On the one hand I was over (boo hiss) but on the other hand this is as close as I have come to being on track for 2 months now (not bad) and I walked twice at work which is more than I have done for 2 months (yay!) so I'm counting yesterday as a step in the right direction. Today's goal is to do better than I did yesterday.

Baby steps. Keep moving forward.

Mia in MI

Woot!! Woot!! Way to go Mia!!

Cheri NE oHIo
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I'm feel I'm lurking too, Cherie. I'm just not with it right now, and definitely not up to responding individually, probably due to stress over all the darn deadlines that are creeping up on me. Online course that needs to be checked for dead links and incorrect dates, 108-page annual report that needs editing (and it looks as though it will end up being more like 124 pages this year), bills to be paid and bills to be sent out... And to add insult to injury, we've got choir rehearsals EVERY EVENING from today up to our big concert on Saturday.

Still, in the midst of it all, I often take a breather by reading what's going on in your lives, dear ones :heart:
    Thanks for being there!

Hang in there and take one thing at a time!

I'm lurking in a good sense here. I'm able to read thru the posts several times a day. I find responding to each and every post daunting so just respond as I can here and there. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis whether I respond or not!

Cheri NE oHIo
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Kimses – Hugs and Prayers for you employment journey. May you find the direction you are destined for in life and work and health.

Miriam – Your story about the golf-cart joy-riding teen reminded me of a few situations from our house/business in Winona. We owned a bar & grill. One summer I called Police in the morning and was unsure how to describe what I found: Some people (I assume more than one) had gone around the neighborhood swapping out people’s property (I had a lawnmower missing but suddenly had a patio table and chairs). So the dispatcher, in a light-hearted tone, said “so you are calling to report that your furniture has been rearranged without your permission?” So the kids and I grabbed the stuff that was not ours, and knocked on doors until we returned it to where it belonged, and got our lawnmower back. // Another time, after the building was destroyed on the inside by a fire, I was inside trying to do inventory, and noticed that a TV was missing and the others had rocks thrown at them. I called the Police to report it, but the next morning it was on the front step of my house. Who risks getting caught returning a stolen item? Fond, fun memories, thanks ! ! !

Sylvia – Yay for yoga pants ! ! ! // painted tray – amazing talent, congrats ! // Enjoy your “day off” ! ! !

Barbie – Yay for your CD sleeves ! ! !

Lynn – Yay for walking past the cake and choosing something healthy. We have been with Verizon for about 13 years, and although our bill is much higher than it may be with other carriers, we LOVE the reception we get in every location where we travel. Let us know what you decide about google.

Drkatiebug – Is the almond coconut butter similar to dairy butter, or similar to peanut butter? I like trying new things; thanks for sharing ! ! !

Ellen – My DH cut out all pop and lost 24 pounds without trying. I know you and your son can do it too. Stay away from the fast food places, and keep motivated. I personally put stickers on a calendar when I have a full day of “not cheating”.

Someone here brought in a cinnamon coffee cake, so I took a deep sniff, then made cinnamon and vanilla coffee with fat free creamer. Yum !

Katla – the pain from crochet for me is effected by both my arthritis and if I am trying to make a tight gauge. If I am relaxed while I crochet, I can go longer before my hands hurt. So if I am making a purse or something that needs to be tight, I take more frequent breaks. I would guess that would also be the reason that I can tolerate longer sessions when knitting on a loom. I wish I could knit with needles, because a friend of mine who also has RA says she had much less pain now that she knits.

Bonnie – Happy Birthday ! ! !

Allison – I hope you kick that cold to the curb ! ! ! // Hugs and Prayers for the loss of your friend ! ! !

Just curious: why do businesses use robo-calls when trying to get a company to switch to their “service”? I used to hang up immediately, but that got boring. Then for awhile I would listen to the message, and push whichever button they said to remove us from the listing, but that didn’t seem to work and got boring. Now I put them on hold, and wait to see how long it stays on hold before disconnecting.

Rosie – Hugs and Prayers for all you stressors ! ! !

Linda – I hope the Diabetic class is informative. I took one shortly after DH was diagnosed, and I’ve been trying to sneak changes into his life in baby steps. Keep us up to date on the progress, and count every win ! ! !

Almost time for lunch. I’ll check back in again soon!

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Lenora~ My saying is we are all nudists under our clothes.

I grew up in a household that was quite shy? I can't think of any other word. My mother practically dressed in her closet, and I never saw my father naked. In fact I had no clue about the facts of life that when I first got my period I announced at the dinner table, "Well now since I have eggs, I can just wish it and make a baby". Of course my father literally choked on his dinner and looked at my mom and said,"You need to have a chat with Becky".....So I'm studying my spelling words and my mother comes in and tells me, and I remember just saying, "What?....oh that is just stupid.....you are jokiing!"

I also have a cool tee-shirt Lenora! It is from the. AANR site (stands for American Association for Nude Recreation). It says, 'Garden Naked, it puts sun on your cheeks". That was fun to wear around town and see peoples brains as they read it. Hahahaha!

Yesterday was a perfect day, ate all my meals I had said I would, drank all the water I said I would, and felt really great going to bed. Of course I started coughing so I slept on the recliner again. We all went to bed at 8:30 PM because we had to get up early to take son to a bus at 5:45 AM to go on a field trip. So I was up at 11, and 2, and at 4 AM.....not fun. We dropped him off and then went on to the gym. I did some circuit training, but we couldn't go on the treadmills because two people were already on them. We didn't go in the pool either because that was crowded. So we came home and "burned some calories" (and probably annoyed our neighbor who had a day off and was sleeping in). Afterwards I admitted to my husband, "I like field trips!"

Supposed to rain all week.....
    Becca

Lol becca!!!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Becca ~ I thought of you as I prepared my lunch today. Stir fried broccoli slaw with mushrooms and onions then doused with a bit of teriyaki sauce. It was very filling and delish. Wish I had a bit of rice though.

To all of you who have lost friends and have family members who are so ill, my prayers go out to you.

Carol
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Terri, it was actually a ten year old joy riding on the golf carts! Last summer we had a few weeks of rearrangement of lawn decorations. Everyone just put what wasn't theirs by the curb so folks could walk or drive around looking for their own stuff. My front yard is enclosed by a gateless picket fence, and is very, very well lit by the church light (I can read in the upstairs bedroom from the light) so I did not lose anything. Bored kids will find all sorts of things to do. That is why my girls are doing Tae Kwon Do, 4 H, choir, band and school choir for the 5th grader, church and sunday school. They don't have time to get in to trouble! (Also, my mom could not be bothered helping me do all the fun extra curricular activities, so I have always made sure my kids could do whatever they wanted to.)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    -Hugs to all that need them
    -Pats on the back for all who deserve them
    -Strapping on the boot for all that should have it
    Type to u later peepcicles
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, I did not get up to early to exercise this morning as planned. I checked my calendar when I woke up and realized that I had a 7:00 am meeting again. Sigh! Plan is to stand up and march in place during some of my phone calls today and to work out tonight while my daughter Sophi is at church.

What is up with all the sugar binges yesterday? Yes, I had one too. There were frosted sugar cookies hanging out in the kitchen calling my name. Today, I regretted it terribly. I woke up with a headache this morning and know that it was from too much sugar yesterday. Grr… I did log the calories though. Getting back on track today.

I just bought a book that I am excited to read. It is called The Encore Career Handbook. It is about finding a career in the second half of your life that allows you to make a difference while continuing to make some money. I would love to be able to retire early but know that my husband would not support that decision if my income were to go from its current level to zero. But what if I could do something I love, make a difference in the community, and still bring in a small income. That I might be able to sell. Will let you know if I gain any sage advice from this book.

Bonnie – Happy Birthday a day late!

Denise – Don’t worry. I was a stalker with this group before I started to chime in as well. But, please do not feel intimidated. We would love to hear more about you.

Lisa – Thanks for the book recommendation. I’m putting “Dietland” on my “Books I want to read” lists.

Rosie – I am so sorry for all that you have been through so far this year. I too am taking stock of my health. I would like to age gracefully, and I would like to be one of those people where others say “Can you believe she is doing X and she is this old?” I’ve started to see the effects of aging on my parents and my in-laws and I am starting to understand how much easier it will be to age if I eat healthy and stay active. And you are right… we never know what God has in store for us. Best to live each day to its fullest while we can. (((hugs))) and I hope the rest of the year is bright and sunny.

Mia – Woo Hoo! Way to go. You can do this.

Terri – When I get those robo calls, I sometimes just push and hold down the zero button. I find that will cause the computer to hang up on me. Not sure it does anything to get me off their list, but makes me feel better somehow.

OK, break is over. Back to work.

Linda/IA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DLS1029 – Maybe you can get a couple of packages of those pads that a lot of people use for accidents in the house; and, put his leash on him and walk him around the house and into your kitchen and stop him over the pads. Just a suggestion. It might not be good for him to be ‘out in the weather as small and young as he is’. He’s a cutie.

Sylvia – What color will the fish and edges be? Looks like it might be green and pink, like a salmon. My Mother used to do china painting. I have all her stuff; but, only use her small kiln that holds only a cup or an ornament at a time. I can remember what she said about reds and yellows; when to paint one over the other. One eats off the other color. I don’t know how to use her big kiln; never learned it because she never had time to show me. So it sits in my studio – unused.
    Cracker also tears up (kills) her stuffed animals. Loves squeaky toys; bought one that had a stuffed head and the bottom was a squeaky; she pulled it out of the bottom. I could not get it back into it to sew it back up; now can’t find one. It was a Christmas one; but, she did not know that. All she knew was that it squeaked every time she bit it. That was the longest one she had. Now she has one of those knotted ropes and seems to like it. Bought a couple of Hartz toys which are made of canvas; she has shown very little interest in it. Bought some that are flat and have a ‘crinkle sound’. She’d probably figure out how to get the bottle out of it anyway.
    I gave my DOS a pillow with “Dogs Rules” on it; and that one Luna, their lab, has taken away from him; but, she must know that one of them says that ‘if she takes it, it’s hers’. She sleeps with her head ‘on the pillow’ and has never tried to tear it up. That’s funny; because she’d tear up anything if it had stuffing in it; one reason she stays crated during the day; they might come home to find it totally destroyed.

KJLaMore – You might just have to tell them what to do with that carrot; to let them know you other sister has the right to choose her foods prior to chemo/radiation time since she might not enjoy either during treatments.

When I was younger, a friend and I would go under the house next door to her grandmother’s house. It was one of those typical Louisiana homes, where the main house is up one story. We smoke a Cuban cigar that we had bought uptown telling the clerk it was for her Dad. By the time we smoked it down, we were both rather green. Then we broke the mirrored ball that set up on a pedestal. We denied that, too. Never knew how precious some yard ornaments can be until I had a ball on a pedestal that got blown over in near tornado winds. Also destroyed one of my wind chimes of flamingos and palm trees. The pieces that were not broken; I am going to glue to a pot after I paint a beach scene on it this Spring. My other two chimes, when they get tangled up, are difficult to untangle; but, I love both of them.

Once my DOS was sitting in the buggy at the grocery store; and, I did not see him grab a pack of gum until I got ready to take him out of the buggy and into the car. I knew I had not bought it; and, asked him where he had gotten it; them I marched him into the store and give it back to the clerk and apologize for ‘stealing’ it. Poor baby … but, he never touched those things that are on display at the check-out counter. The clerk said, ‘oh you can keep it’ and I told her ‘no he can’t; he needs to learn that he cannot take stuff and not pay for it’. Then we went out to the car and I spanked him. When my DYS was little we had to put him in a ‘harness’ because as soon as his feet hit the ground, he was gone. A woman stopped me going into the store and said, ‘how can you put him on a leash and treat him like a dog’. This pissed me off; and, I told her ‘that I’d rather have him on a ‘harness’ than to have a ‘dead child’ in the parking lot … and she needed to mind her own damn business’. Now-a-days you can’t even swat a child on the butt in public without running the risk of being reported to the authorities. My discipline of my boys was done quickly, in keeping of what they had done wrong, and explained to them why they got a swat on the rear. Actually, cupping my hand meant they really did not feel it as much as it sounded so loud it would scare them. After about the age of 2.5 – 3 – did not have to spank them. All I had to do is pull one of my DH’s belts out of the closet and snap it. They’d get right real quickly. When they fought or argued with one another – we had boxing gloves and also got put in one of the squares on the kitchen floor and had to hug one another. They’d be giggling within about 5 minutes. The boxing rink and boxing gloves was a good way for the neighborhood boys to settle their differences tiffs.

Turned some books back into the Library; and, asked if they had the Marie Kondo book about folding things and tidying up. Someone had it checked out, so they put me on the list. I’m well inside my caloric intake for the day, so I can have 4 Oreos for a snack today. I like the “thins.”

HUMP DAY – this year is flying by! Seems like that is the case when you’re in your 60’s I guess.

Lenora – sunny but cold in SW GA (USA)

• BonnieSpins
    BonnieSpins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the birthday wishes. My only regret on the wonderful chocolate bombe cake was that the sugar and caffeine in it must have kept me awake for most of the night. But it was still worth it. And it didn't hurt me on the scale.

Terri, check out you local yarn shop for knitting lessons. Then you can switch off from crocheting when your hands hurt. Or take up spinning. The "BonnieSpins" is not exercise spinning, but yarn spinning. Incredibly relaxing.

My sympathies to all who are experiencing loss.

Congratulations to those remaining on track or getting back on track.

Bonnie waiting for the blizzard
  • dlmcgowan93
    dlmcgowan93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Rosie & Allison, So sorry for your loss of your friends.

Sylvia, gotta love those robocalls. Glad to get them before the day starts but they always make the day start anyway.

Donna, what an adorable puppy. My 6 pounder doesn't care for the snow and cold...he's in & out quickly.

Linda, 30 below...oh my hope you're walking inside!

Beth, sorry about your sons and DH. My DH is a paraplegic and has been on Dr. ordered bed-rest for over a year.

Heather, I love, love, love your quote..."When you get down, get up!"

Katla, You referenced falls and that reminded my of my g-ma. When she was about 100 yrs old I watched her fall once and she rolled like she was doing a somersault and came back up on both feet. It was the most amazing trick I had ever seen. Thanks for giving me that memory.

Mia, Just keep at it. I just started recently but I believe tracking honestly is the best way to keep going.

Hope all is well!!

Denise
    Galva, IL
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Heather – all that talk about what happens before/during the haggis has me totally confused and entertained. I hope you can post some pictures because I am VERY interested. // Hooray for doing your writing ! ! !

Katla – the Grateful Dead? Wow ! I am WAY older than my true age, as I am SO looking forward to seeing Three Dog Night in a few weeks. I can twist with the best of them, but rock has never really been my style (although DH would kiss my feet if I ever won Aerosmith tickets for him).

Mia – keep celebrating those little wins, and keep doing better than yesterday. Now that you know that Reese’s Peanut Butter cups push you over, you can continue to make better and better decisions.

Becca – I love you ! ! ! Thanks for more smiles and laughs ! ! !

Miriam – I hear you about keeping the kids busy. My son has NO time to get into trouble (and he prefers it that way. Sometimes I say no when he wants to add another sport, just because it is so tiring for me). And he is totally aware that any illegal activity or drug/alcohol use would remove him from ALL sports and we would keep him in his room without videogames. // I had no idea other people rearranged outside belongings in neighborhoods, as when it happened to me was the first, and until now only, time I heard about such a thing. I do consider that “harmless” fun. Around here the kids also do “forking” which is sticking an entire box of plastic forks into a front yard, and “flocking” which is the same thing, except with plastic flamingos. They got bored of ding-dong-ditch at my house, because I have a huge bay window where I sit in the evening, so I just look out the window and see them and holler “hi _____”.

DS just got invited to bowl in the Motiv (bowling ball brand) Top Gun Invitational on Feb. 7 (another difficult situation to avoid unhealthy eating, stay in my head, friends) DH has to fill out the forms tonight at practice. Now, just 2 more matches, and if he can hold his position as #19, or raise himself higher, he will also be invited to the Storm (another bowling ball brand) Singles Invitational that takes place on Friday, March 4 alongside the State H.S. team tournament. I’m not sure who would be taking him if he qualifies in March because DH and I will be in Reno. Tonight he bowls in the Sport League, so I get the house to myself for a few hours again. Yay !

Monday and Tuesday I was so cold, and only brought salad and fruit for lunch, so today I decided to have ½ a salad and ½ can of Progresso Light soup. Yummy, filling, and warm. I feel like it was a wise choice. Yesterday for my pre-bedtime snack, I thawed and mushed 6 oz of raspberries that I froze last week with 4 oz of soft tofu, but it needed 1 pack of Splenda. If I have just a little something before heading to bed, I seem to be less likely to sleepwalk/sleep-eat, so I think I will keep this going – just a little something in my tummy seems to do the trick, and hopefully doesn’t mess with my metabolism too badly.

My Dad is having his second spinal fusion surgery next month. About a decade ago he had L4-S1 fused and they went through his abdomen, but unfortunately nicked a blood vessel, so this time they are fusing L3-4 and going through the back instead of the abdomen. He needs to be at the Hospital by 4:30am, so I will likely have plenty of time to ride the bike at work that morning. He said I don’t need to stay, just drop him off at the door, but I will stay while he gets registered to make sure they have all my phone numbers correct. He will likely be in there until the weekend, so I won’t need to take any time off to bring him home. And since we share a home, it will be easy to check in on him and do what he needs before/after work while he recuperates. He has a TV with cable, laptop and tablet, so he shouldn’t get too bored (and the laptop is from his work, so he won’t fall too far behind at his job).

Ok, time for me to do more paperwork at work.

Stay warm friends ! ! !

More Hugs ! ! ! Terri
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    It's mid-afternoon and I'm still on track! This is usually my bewitching time, but, inspired by Penny, I just had 40grams of raw carrots. That's right 40 grams.... You all can stop laughing now .... I don't know how Penny eats 5 pounds!

Denise ... A year of bed-rest? How hard that is!! My son's housemate has been on bed-rest for over a year due to skin integrity issues as a result of spina-bifida. Fortunately, while my son is considered a quadriplegic ... He has movement in all of his limbs (just very limited functionality) and has been lucky so far. His housemate doesn't have feeling in his derrière ... My son does.

Beth

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Beth wrote: It's mid-afternoon and I'm still on track! This is usually my bewitching time, but, inspired by Penny, I just had 40grams of raw carrots. That's right 40 grams.... You all can stop laughing now .... I don't know how Penny eats 5 pounds!
    Good heavens! I wouldn't be able to manage 5 pounds either! It's 500 grams per day, just slightly more than ONE pound. But YAY carrots Beth!
  • dlmcgowan93
    dlmcgowan93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Beth, Celery has been my go-to snack. Considering the circumstance, your son is lucky! My DH has a pressure issue. He has been in a chair since Dec 1987 and has only had this issue a few times but this has been the worst. It's not fun but we keep on keeping on. We are quite the pair. I have limited use of my right arm and my right hand is useless, a souvenir of a stroke. But life is good...we are still here for each other, our daughters, and our families.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Penny ... I wondered about the five pounds ... Couldn't imagine it! Still, 500 grams is a lot too!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sad because we had to rehome our much loved Lucy. She is almost 50lbs and where we are moving they will only allow up to 30lbs. Luckily after many glitches to find a good home we were able to find a family with 4 kids and the mom trains dogs as support dogs. She wants to train Lucy as a support for her autistic son. My DGS#2 (7yrs) has cried every night for his Lucy. Just breaks my heart. We will be able to visit but will be an hour and a half drive one way. miss-you-puppy-smiley-emoticon.gif