All protein diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but eating nothing but protein, even for a short time, sounds really unpleasant.
    The bottom line is: all you need for weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. It's not necessary to eliminate any types of food from your diet in order to lose weight.
  • wannabefitmom1
    wannabefitmom1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but eating nothing but protein, even for a short time, sounds really unpleasant.
    The bottom line is: all you need for weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. It's not necessary to eliminate any types of food from your diet in order to lose weight.

Yeah. I really just ate eggs chicken and turkey for a week straight when I did the first time around. Not too interesting, and I do gag sometimes when I eat eggs now because they were my snacks too. But anywho I definitely see what everyone means now...I'm excited to take advantage of this app and everyone's knowledge! Thanks :)
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds dreadful.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    The "clinic" you went to should be shut down for providing mis-information. No real health professional is going to recommend you only eat protein for a week.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you want your weight loss to be sustainable, you want to lose the weight by developing habits you can sustain for the long haul. Protein only for a week? Say you lose some weight--what happens when you start eating normally again? Same thing with the pills--what happens when you stop taking them? Unless you plan to take them forever.

There are low/carb/keto groups here. They can tell you about their diet and how they lose/maintain weight on it. I tinkered with my macros and eat (usually :smiley: ) 35%p/35%c/30%f I try to choose foods which keep me fuller longer.

If it's not hunger making you eat, the therapy suggestion by a previous poster is a good one. They can help you with coping mechanisms so you don't eat when you're not hungry.

Many of us have been in your place, using food for things other than fuel--like comfort. We've gotten through it, you can too! :blush:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Horrible. Just horrible.
    No fiber, no vitamins. Digestive yuckiness. Not physiological. Terrible idea.

This^

Also what would be the point of slowly adding fruits & veggies back in? Fruit & veggies don't make you fat unless you consume too many calories worth. It's all about calories.....people even lose weight with a high fat diet when overall calories are reduced.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    All those people who have posted above saying just put your stats in MFP, log your weekly loss as .5-1lb a week are correct.
    It works.
    I lost my 30lbs slow and steady. Still ate the food I love- just smaller portions, and managed to fit in a glass of wine/ beer and something sweet almost every day.

Start logging now as you finish your pill supply. This will give you a good basis to move forward on.

Good for you coming and asking the question and taking the tried and true advice from those with experience on board.

FYI If one has 150lbs to lose the first 30lbs will come off quite fast. If one has only 30lbs to lose it will be much slower. Don't compare yourself to others, you are you- focus on your goals.

Cheers, h.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @wannabefitmom1 - appreciate your open minded responses even when people are hitting ya with a little attitude! (it happens here!)

I have found that every program, ketosis, high protein, atkins, pills, ALL of it, it ALL works - you can lose 10 or 20 or 30 pounds, look slammin in a dress, and hopefully get a good photo to remember it by, because while you can lose weight in all of these ways, most will not stay at this lower weight.

so far, the only thing that has worked for me sustainably in changing not just my weight, but my body shape, has been eating less, eating real food (and avoiding food products as much as possible, without demonizing them), and moving more.

Best of luck to you in your research and journey.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    If you have a kidney issues, all protein can be a bad thing. Keto diets are low carb, high fat, moderate protein, unless otherwise directed by a registered dietitian. Even on an all meat diet, you will get fat and probably a few carbs along the way, so really, there's no such thing as a "pure protein" diet. If you want to do a fast, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with fasting. It will kick you into ketosis faster, but you have to stay in nutritional ketosis for it to matter. Doing it for a week will do nothing except probably make you miserable as hell.

I do keto with 17:7 IF, so I know a little about keto and fasting. What you're attempting isn't going to be useful and that "weight loss clinic" is full of BS.

If you're interested in keto as a way of life:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

If you're interested in fasting as part of a healthy diet strategy:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Ditto all of this. Ketosis is high fat, low carb and moderate protein (usually). When my protein gets high it affects my blood sugar and staying ketosis becomes harder. As long as you are eating adequate protein (around 0.7g per pound) a ketogenic diet is usually muscle sparing so high protein intake isn't that helpful.

Ketosis will often suppress one's appetite. An excellent benefit when trying to lose weight. ;)

I agree with others that a ketogenic diet is not a good short term diet. It usually takes a good week or more for your body to switch from using glucose for fuel to fat oxidation. Most start to see the benefits of the diet after a week (and after they've increased sodium intake.

If you are still interested in a very LCHF diet, look more into nutritional ketosis and try the groups that ki4eld mentioned so you can make an informed decision to try it. Good luck. :)

And constipation is NOT a common complaint for those in ketosis. The increased fats get things going, and magnesium supplementation (along with sodium for proper electrolyte levels) also helps.

ETA I lost 40 lbs in 6 months eating a ketogenic diet at a caloric deficit. It works very well for many.
  • pitcherday
    pitcherday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I told my doctor (isn't my doctor anymore) that I wanted to lose weight and he gave me phentermine (appetite suppressant). I lost a lot of weight, but I could not be on it forever (it is basically speed) and my appetite came right back when the prescription ran out. I tried other OTC appetite suppressants and the same thing. It is more sustainable to learn to eat the right foods in proper amounts. I did not do that while on the suppressants (I actually ate crappy food, just less of it), so fitting into my "skinny jeans" was short-lived. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    If you want your weight loss to be sustainable, you want to lose the weight by developing habits you can sustain for the long haul. Protein only for a week? Say you lose some weight--what happens when you start eating normally again? Same thing with the pills--what happens when you stop taking them? Unless you plan to take them forever.

There are low/carb/keto groups here. They can tell you about their diet and how they lose/maintain weight on it. I tinkered with my macros and eat (usually :smiley: ) 35%p/35%c/30%f I try to choose foods which keep me fuller longer.

If it's not hunger making you eat, the therapy suggestion by a previous poster is a good one. They can help you with coping mechanisms so you don't eat when you're not hungry.

Many of us have been in your place, using food for things other than fuel--like comfort. We've gotten through it, you can too! :blush:

Thanks! I joined one group and look forward to educated myself instead of taking the clinics advise. Reading everyone's responses definitely makes me feel naive to trust the opinion of the clinic and SEE their true tactic. @ $50 a visit weekly (I just went for my 2ndweek) they are just in it for the money and short term fixes! There's no better time than now to make HEALTHY changes so that's will I'll continue to aim for. Thanks for your response.
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    @toe1226 awesome advice!
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ki4eld wrote: »
    If you have a kidney issues, all protein can be a bad thing. Keto diets are low carb, high fat, moderate protein, unless otherwise directed by a registered dietitian. Even on an all meat diet, you will get fat and probably a few carbs along the way, so really, there's no such thing as a "pure protein" diet. If you want to do a fast, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with fasting. It will kick you into ketosis faster, but you have to stay in nutritional ketosis for it to matter. Doing it for a week will do nothing except probably make you miserable as hell.

I do keto with 17:7 IF, so I know a little about keto and fasting. What you're attempting isn't going to be useful and that "weight loss clinic" is full of BS.

If you're interested in keto as a way of life:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

If you're interested in fasting as part of a healthy diet strategy:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Ditto all of this. Ketosis is high fat, low carb and moderate protein (usually). When my protein gets high it affects my blood sugar and staying ketosis becomes harder. As long as you are eating adequate protein (around 0.7g per pound) a ketogenic diet is usually muscle sparing so high protein intake isn't that helpful.

Ketosis will often suppress one's appetite. An excellent benefit when trying to lose weight. ;)

I agree with others that a ketogenic diet is not a good short term diet. It usually takes a good week or more for your body to switch from using glucose for fuel to fat oxidation. Most start to see the benefits of the diet after a week (and after they've increased sodium intake.

If you are still interested in a very LCHF diet, look more into nutritional ketosis and try the groups that ki4eld mentioned so you can make an informed decision to try it. Good luck. :)

And constipation is NOT a common complaint for those in ketosis. The increased fats get things going, and magnesium supplementation (along with sodium for proper electrolyte levels) also helps.

ETA I lost 40 lbs in 6 months eating a ketogenic diet at a caloric deficit. It works very well for many.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • wannabefitmom1
    Options
    All those people who have posted above saying just put your stats in MFP, log your weekly loss as .5-1lb a week are correct.
    It works.
    I lost my 30lbs slow and steady. Still ate the food I love- just smaller portions, and managed to fit in a glass of wine/ beer and something sweet almost every day.

Start logging now as you finish your pill supply. This will give you a good basis to move forward on.

Good for you coming and asking the question and taking the tried and true advice from those with experience on board.

FYI If one has 150lbs to lose the first 30lbs will come off quite fast. If one has only 30lbs to lose it will be much slower. Don't compare yourself to others, you are you- focus on your goals.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the encouraging words! Scares me to think of the other people taking the advice of the clinic and not knowing the side effects/potential damage. I felt silly writing the post at first but love all of the responses to kind of 'wake me up' there are a ton of admiral people on here willing to help. So glad I came here :)
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It works.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the encouraging words! Scares me to think of the other people taking the advice of the clinic and not knowing the side effects/potential damage. I felt silly writing the post at first but love all of the responses to kind of 'wake me up' there are a ton of admiral people on here willing to help. So glad I came here :)

Oh man, don`t feel silly at all... seriously. Sometimes people confuse replies for snarkiness when really they come from experience...
    Glad to hear that you are not going back to the clinic.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @winogelato
    Thanks for the reply!
    I go to the weight clinic for the appetite suppressors to help me maintain control. Obviously the diet is just a suggestion but obviously a horrible suggestion. I did check out the getting started tab and have reached out to try to find a mentor from the thread posted but I will take a look at the other things on there too!

Thanks for the awesome suggestions too :)

Maintain control as in just keep your calorie intake under control? Do you have issues with binge eating (as in diagnosed Binge Eating Disorder not just "ZOMG I binged last night and ate 5 Oreos).

I would strongly suggest trying to find ways to achieve your goals without relying on appetite suppressants. Many of those are not safe for long term consumption and have other side effects.

Again, with 30 lbs to lose you really should be focusing on eating a balanced diet at a moderate calorie deficit and developing life long habits not relying on pills or quick fixes.

Just to maintain my portion control. And no I don't have any severe binge eating problems. I know 30 pounds isn't a lot to lose but it's been really hard for me to lose weight in the past due to excuses I made and my love for Sugar and carbs probably.

But for sure my GOAL is to obtain lifelong healthy habits. The pills I know aren't long term, I've done it once before and this is my second time and I have a two week supply, and don't plan on getting more. It kind of helps me set the tempo for portion control

Hi

I too am on an appetite suppressant to help w hunger control and cravings. I am being monitored by my doctor very closely. I can relate to your feelings as my weightloss journey began two years ago. I have done everything short of surgery (not a candidate for as I don't have alot to lose) and taking meds. But I have changed my eating habits, I work our regularly including cardio and strength training and portion control. I have about 20 lbs left to lose and am having such a hard time. I've hit several plateus. After a lengthy conversation w my doctor and blood work done, I am now using phentermine. Being on the meds has helped me and I have started using MFP to track calories so that I am conscientious of all I'm eating. This method is for the short term. And in the process of it all I my learning more nutritional information and how to balance all. I feel like my stomach has shrunk and therefore feel full much sooner when I eat. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in the utilization of meds. But I do caution about any weird diets. Perhaps consulting w your doctor and that way you can receive your meds there and be monitored by staff who cares and won't have to pay crazy weight loss clinic dollars and just a low copay. Good luck with your journey please add me if you like. :)