OMG Ladies ~ FIT - Fiber, Increase Metabolism & Treat Ourselves Kindly - 2016 Challenges

Options
KarlaLM58
KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
Good morning my dear Friends -

Ready - Set - Go!! This is it ladies, time to put away all the holiday fare, unhealthy snacks and indulgences. Let's make 2016 the year we take control, and keep control, of our bodies and get to a healthy weight and activity level.

As a reminder of our Acronym:

F - focus on increasing effective fiber
I - increase our metabolism with healthy food and movement.
T - treat ourselves with kindness and respect our body

Today's 2016 Wish:

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful and don’t forget to make some art – write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

Today's Quotes:

The New Year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals."

"Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come."

"Genuine beginnings begin within us, even when they are brought to our attention by external opportunities."

and for Giggles:

"Thirty ways to shape up for 2016 — number one: eat less; number two: exercise more; number three… What was I talking about? I’m so hungry right now." — Maria Bamford

con't

Karla

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    This challenge and community forum is open to all. If you are new and reading this right now, you've come to a special place. Full of support, friendship and motivation. We welcome all new friends!!

Suzi- Congrats to you!! Sounds like the timing was perfect for you and Dave to both be over your prospective illnesses. I am so ready to have this crud over myself, I was still coughing and hacking last night.

Patti- So glad both of your friends are still together, and happy. How is Edd? Is he over his crud? I agree with you that we need to get back to the determination and motivation that we did in 2011. Let's stop playing around with this and no matter what celebrations, parties or challenges we have in 2016 we always put our health first and not over indulge until we get much further down the road. I know we can do it!!

Janet- How are you feeling this morning? I do hope that this year all your wishes come true.

RuthAnn- So glad to have you coming back and sharing your life. When we establish these challenges we do them pesonally, but we can also share are successes here and ideas of what and how we are doing it.

Personal Goal - If you will list again for me in ALL CAPS your personal goal, will put them at the beginning of a post for us to review.

My personal goal : NO EXCUSES, EAT AND MOVE.

I had a fun afternoon of visiting my BFF Monica and her husband with Izzy along. We were all excited about our weekend retreat next month in Destin. My other BFF, Sharon and her husband, will be joining us. We then went over to my great-nephew's home with his gifts. He is such a sweet child. It was sad to hear that my niece, his mother, has not even contacted them since last May. Nothing for her own son for Christmas. Sad for Blagg, my 7yo nephew. Shameful on my niece's part. I was hoping one year she would mature and be respectful, but not yet.

I have to work for half day today, just to get the new trainee started and I am back home. Glenn took down the Christmas tree and packed up all my music boxes, but I still have to pack up all the ornaments and my snowman and tree collections.

Off to the scale and tape measure I go!!

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All....Today is a day for church staff evaluations. Most of them will be good; however, there is one I'm not looking forward to. My minister and I don't see eye to eye of this person. She makes too many mistakes, but he overlooks them. Hmmm Surgery is Wednesday. Have a great day everyone. Breakfast is tracked!!!!!!

My personal goal: DRINK WATER, EAT LESS.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Well, I found two note pages I was keeping my measurement on. The beginning date on one was 1-24, but I don't know what year it is. I am also proud to report that I am 4 inches smaller in the breast, 5 inches smaller in the waist, 5 inches in the hips and 4 inches smaller in the arms and thighs. I don't think I measured at all last year so this could be anywhere from 2011- 2014. I have been weighing on a regular basis, so am up considerably from my last weigh-in. No worries though, I am on track now. I also took a piece of copy paper and put 2016 Measurements at the top and put a grid down the side for each month of the year. I pledge to measure every month. We all know how important this is when the pounds start getting smaller and smaller. LOL.

Now I am putting on exercise clothes and getting my first workout in.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    So happy for you, Karla......I know my weight is up as well, but I'm more focused than I have been in a while. Thanks for starting this new board. I know it's going to be a fabulous 2016!

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning and start to our new dedication to our health and well being.

Karla, great start to the board, I was thinking we needed an opening statement for anyone new finding us and you did it perfectly. Hope everyone finds their way here. I had to do a search by author to find my way here but now that I have I am here to stay. I do love the continuous thread and always being brought back to where you were last. It just makes it so easy if you have been gone for a bit. Good quotes today too.

Bert, I think we are all back to being focused. I just know this surgery is going to improve your pain and get you back to the active person you want to be. Just don't be impatient and try to move too fast while recovering. Will be sending prayers.

My mini goal: 20 OUNCES WATER BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE GOES IN, BREAKFAST BY 9AM.

This is my start for this week but only met the first one. Up too late last night and didn't have breakfast until 10am.
    I did weigh and measure. Up just a few pounds but am still in onederland, which was my biggest fear, measurements taken and recorded on the site. If you click on CHECK IN on the My home tab, you can record your weight and measurements. You can even add any measurements you want to monitor. I'm up all over but still 30 pounds below my highest weight. Not looking back because I'm not going that way. Lots to do around here today. Taking down the decorations and putting everything back on the shelves. Lots of laundry and of course, the dreaded grocery shopping that is unavoidable. So wish I lived in an area that I could order my groceries and just pick them up but we are not big enough for that.

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Karla, thanks for the inspiring start! This is the year we wrestle it successfully -- without driving ourselves bonkers.

Karla, sorry about your little nephew's mother -- hope she will find it in herself to grow up and reconnect with her boy. Glad he has a loving home and you in his life.

Bert, refocusing here too.

Patti, was so much fun to see Peyton on the field, playing like Peyton again (even though a Broncos win took home field from my Patriots, it's nearly impossible for me to root against him.)

Cindy -- Hope the return to work wasn't too horrible.

Suzi -- How was yoga? It's something I've thought about but not sure whether my situation makes it possible. May look into it this spring.

Had a bit of a rough eating day yesterday and yes, I used the terrible excuse that "tomorrow is the restart" but that's behind me now. BAM.

My goals for this week:

BUY NO SNACKS WHILE OUT.
    EAT NOTHING BEFORE 11 AM.

Time to get back to basics here! Seeing surgeon this afternoon -- healing is proceeding but there are still a couple of spots to go (Karla, am using calcium alginate dressing on one spot -- betting that's what Glenn needed last year). We'll see what she says today. Then a couple of errands and home.

Christmas tree is still up until this weekend, because it's still making me happy. I meay leave a few of my glass everygreens out as seasonal decor.

OK -- must get a shower and get on with my day. Am going to post a link to this thread in the old one because I had a heck of a time finding it -- didn't show under "New Groups" and took me time to find the "Motivation and Support" spot. And will bookmark this thread for the future.

Have a great day. Thanks again, Karla -- see you all later.

p.s. -- I bookmarked this thread and made it a tab that automatically pops up when I open Chrome, so I should be able to avoid the weird menu structure on my computer at least ... I see that this thread seems to be under Message Boards > Challenges.

Weird, but ... whatever!
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! Yoga was fabulous! I always feel so much better after the class - even if I'm feeling crappy when I get there. I've had a sinus headache for 4 days, but after yoga it's gone! Amazing how that works and how it makes me feel. I'm so glad that I now have the opportunity to attend these Y classes in the mornings.

My personal challenge will be TRACK NO MATTER WHAT!

On today's schedule - un-Christmasing the house and if there's time once I get done a little work to begin prepping for a series of classes I will be teaching in Tulsa later this month.

I'm so excited about the new year - both health-wise and travel-wise. Dave and I have begun making reservations for a trip to Arizona in late February/early March and for another trip through several national parks in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota in July and August. That reminds me, KARLA - we'll arrive in Mobile the evening of Monday, February 8 and will head out Friday morning, February 12. Will most definitely be attending the Athena parade Tuesday morning and plan on doing some sight-seeing type stuff Wednesday and Thursday. Any chance you could perhaps join us for lunch on Wednesday? Or, if you're going to the Athena parade, maybe we can meet up there.

OK gang, off to get some chores done. I'll chat with you later.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hello again, so uplifting to see the positive posts today. Everyone seems geared and ready for this, our best year yet. My Pilates instructor shared this on FB and I wanted to share it with everyone here. I hope you all read and enjoy, it is a simple but powerful way to start this year.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lauren-mcclerkin/breath-our-first-act-of-l_b_8898930.html

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    BBL
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hi everyone - I would like to join this group. I am with @smack59 ! TRACK NO MATTER WHAT! I have had such great success with mfp in the past and its all about being accountable.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Hello group!! I finally made it back home about 3:30. I had to go by the UPS place and drop off a package. I have three veggies simmering and trimmed porkchops for dinner.

Ucuconley- Welcome!! I do hope you find your way back. We welcome you. I agree, accountability is a bigger factor and sometimes we just be accountable to ourself.

Patti- I asked about Edd, is he better?

Janet- What did the doctor say?

Suzi- Yes!! I am excited to see you again and Wednesday is a day I am not usually at any office. We can plan where to meet, heck, I may even want to sigh-see with you all. Have you been over to Fairhope? Maybe we can go over there and eat at Paninni Pete's!! I texted Jodi to tell her how excited I was, but for us to try and get together before then. I know she is probably busy with work and Mardi Gras, but maybe I can meet her at Macaroni Grill sometime soon inbetween. I love Mardi Gras!!

I'm going to email Judy and see if she can come here for our challenge, I will copy the link above to help her find us. I'm working on packing away the decor also. Glenn and Chris got the tree taken down and box up in the attic already.

I'll be back later on,
    Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hello again. Doc sees improvement and could tell just by looking at me (clothed) that I am feeling better, which exam confirmed. It's coming along and I see her again next Monday. Am able to do what is needed but also working on getting more rest. My two wonderful trips took a lot out of me (and of course I couldn't say anything to family) but it is all getting better.

Resisted temptation while out and am determined to eat responsibly all week. One day at a time getting all the way back to the "I don't eat that" mentality when I see tempting snack foods. It's time for all of us to do what we know we should -- and we all know how to do it. Consistency and accountability lie with each of us and here within the group.

lcuconley, welcome to the group. Your avatar photo is impressive!

Cindy, had crossed fingers all day for you - hope the mean, whiny people left you alone.

• judyannsews
    judyannsews Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok, I found you. I am doing this on my IPad and can't find how to Bookmark it. I am ready for the challenge. I started on Saturday. My goal is EAT REAL FOOD, MOSTLY VEGGIES AND LESS OS IT.

I started to take my tree down today and just couldn't. It is so beautiful..maybe I will leave it up till Valentine's Day!

I am going to measure tomorrow and will put it on My Fitness Pal. I am heavier than I have ever been...my feet are killing me and I keep getting out of breathe!
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Judy, so glad you found us! You can do this -- we'll get there together.
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    I found you for real... I can't find it under M N S but some miracle here I am-
    NO S PLAN- 3 MEALS NO SNACKS OR SECONDS
    it was an add day at work but I did get things accomplished. My office was freezing and tomorrow they will install a new electric base board and before work a Mamo.... doing something for me too. :)
    So glad our little family is gathering back together and ready to kick our excess baggage to the curb once and for all.
    Suzi- how was yoga today? I'm envious you now have time to do exercise classes.
    Janet- I did a happy dance that your report from the doctor was good- I do think rest would be beneficial.
    Judy- SO glad you're back and ready for the challenge
    Karla- you're off and running again- sounds like meeting up with Suzi when will that happen?
    Patti- how is Edd and are you unpacked from the holiday week? How is your Suzi?
    Well I need to run for now- I have calories left on the table but with the No S I'm done for the day. Tomorrow I need to plan better.
    SO glad we have a new home.....
    Oh forgot to say I bought whole wheat english muffins and bread- definitely not enriched whole wheat- so more fiber. Part of my plan.........
    Until tomorrow
  • luzingg
    Options
    Happy Monday eve ladies,

Icuconley, welcome to our little family. What should we call you? Hope you find your way back regularly. We are a spirited, chatty, inspiring, intelligent and, most of all, supportive group. Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself and your journey so far.

Judy, on your ipad, once you open this thread, the name of the group is in a gray stripe, at the end of that stripe you will see 3 dots followed by a star. Click on that star and now it is a favorite. Next time click on community and on the top in the black stripe click on the star and this board will come up. Hope that helps.

Cindy, great first day and it so nice to see you back working it. Hope they get your heat fixed. To me there is nothing worse than being cold, especially at work.

Janet, great news and I do hope you really listen to the Dr and your body and rest. I do love your "I don't eat that" personal statement and need to adopt that one for myself.

Karla, how fun to get together with Suzi again and for Mardi Gras no less.

Weird day here. Headed to the grocery and got about 1/2 mile from the house and ran into near white-out conditions. Luckily the grocery is just a mile and 1/2 from me. It wasn't snowing at my house when I left. It lasted about 30 minutes and was all over by the time it was done shopping. Edd is fine, thanks for everyone's concern. He has terrible allergies and suffers when the weather changes drastically. But he is right as rain now, actually since about Friday. He helped our Mike cut up and load a bunch of word from a tree they cut down at one of the rentals right before Christmas. Edd has to go back tomorrow and pick some more to bring here for his garage stove.
    My eating has been weird because I forgot to plan something for dinner for me, Edd had meatloaf, baked beans and mashed potato patty. I just fixed a turkey sandwich and some leftover mashed potatoes. Still have quite a few calories left, so may have an apple with peanut butter later. Got a little done on the decorations and a few loads of laundry. Also made some more laundry soap, so guess I have been more productive than I thought, lol

Talk to you all later
    Patti
  • lcuconley
    Options
    thanks for the welcome messages ladies! @JP_in_KY, thanks for the compliment. I was just saying to my daughter that I AM going to make it back to looking like that THIS year!!

I made a healthy pork ragu for dinner tonight...avoided *most* of the egg tagliatelle that I served it over for the rest of the family!

got a short boot camp-type workout in this am. I am definitely feeling it already!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    @luzingg - you all can call me Lisa. Long story short is that I have been doing the yo-yo diet thing. MFP has really worked for me twice, but its way too easy to eat a bit much and drink a bit much and the weight comes back. :(

I like to cross-train: soccer, lifting, yoga, spin, etc. I used to be a runner and I hope to pick that back up!

married with three girls...not working right now. I quit my job a few months ago and its been great focusing on the family for a bit.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Lisa, Here are our names below:

Karlalm58 - Karla (me)

Luzingg- Patti

Jp_in_Ky - Janet

Cindy619 - Cindy

JudyAnnsews - Judy

Smack59 - Suzi

bertevams - Bert

- RuthAnn - Don't see her posted yet today, so don't have her MFP name.

We have all done the yo-yo thing for sure.

Just finished the 30 minute Burn I didn't get to even start on this morning when I realized I had to go to another client this morning. Proud of myself.

Motivation: 1- I see my Internist on Wedneday and want to be able to say I am back to exercising.
    2- My 40th Class Reunion is July 22-23 and I want to look good and feel good.

Going to collapse. LOL

Karla
  • mstracke05
    mstracke05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am interested in joining you all. A little about myself:

1. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago, after putting on 45 lbs.
    2. I too have a hard time losing weight. No matter how much I watch what I eat and drink, it seems like I'm not losing anything
    3. I am ready to do something about it!

Mary