OMG Ladies ~ FIT - Fiber, Increase Metabolism & Treat Ourselves Kindly - 2016 Challenges

Options

Replies

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Vikki - Congratulations on completing your weekly personal fitness goals!
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Looking for strength training equipment to motivate me to build muscle. Wow, it can be pricey! Don't know why, but cardio is so much more interesting and easy to accomplish throughout the week. Sticking with body weight for strength training for now.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening -- it's the weekend! Have done VERY little today - afternoon was a bit rocky but I'm here. Not sure what I will decide to eat but it will be mild. My body definitely does not want a salad.

Staying WAY down this evening, will watch DVR'd stuff and will probably take Advil PM in a couple of hours. Betcha I feel vastly better tomorrow.
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi All-
    Finished grocery shopping and got some great organic produce at BJ's for less than non-organic at the regular grocery store. I have successfully switched to whole grain english muffins- so another good goal for the week and picked up son 95% lea ground beef. We did eat at Wendy's but did a grilled chicken sand- much better choice.
    I will check and post my fiber tomorrow -
    Everyone sounds like they are feeling good and on track this week. I started looking for a good quick weight workout with free weights- so far haven't found anything.
    Janet- I'm hoping you get some quality rest tonight- tummy feeling better?
    Patti- glad it's just fluid in your ears
    We certainly have become a chatty bunch and a big one too.
    Its to bed early for me tonight, tomorrow is a busy day- exercise and then on the run.
    Have a great evening ladies.
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Diane, I tried the recipe import function to see what it was like. I used the printer friendly version of the recipe from Skinnytaste, did you do that or did you copy and paste from the web page? However the 6 tbsp of whole wheat flour had 1680 calories. That was the only edit I had to make. Did you know that you can save a meal once it has been entered? You can also copy a meal from any previous date. Just click on the quick tools. I use this a lot. I do miss my favorites list but am adapting. What I really like is their data base is huge. They have store brands from just about every grocery. I used a sesame ginger dressing from Maple Grove Farms of Vermont and it was in there.
    Are you having trouble finding this thread? Just click on the star at the end of our title and it saves it to your favorites. Then next time you click on community just click on the star on the right side of the page and it will bring up this thread.

Had a hot salad for dinner. Big bowl of romaine topped with sauteed veggies, apples and chicken then tossed in my version of Thai peanut sauce made with PB2, yummmmmmm
    Patti
  • judyannsews
    judyannsews Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It has been a very yucky day here today. Rain, drizzle and fog to be followed by a snow storm on Sunday. Still doing good food wise.
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Karlalm58 - Karla (me) - No Excuses, eat less and move more
    Luzingg - Patti - 20 ounces of water before anything else, eat by 9a
    Jp_in_Ky - Janet - Buy no snacks while out- eat nothing before 11a
    Cindy619 - Cindy - No S plan - no snacks, three meals only
    JudyAnnsews - Judy - Eat real food, mostly veggies and less of it
    Smack59 - Suzi - Track No Matter What
    bertevans - Bert - drink water, eat less
    Eniads- Diane - track everything I eat
    ICUConley - Lisa - Track No Matter What
    Paulacunin - Paula -
    68Myra - Myra - log every Bite
    Blessed Beyond- Vikki - workout 4 days a week, 4 days cardio, 3 days strength training
    Xjsjaguar - Mary Lynn -Logging everything and Strength training 2x/week
    Rjan91 - Ruthann

Today's quote:

" A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for succsss." Joyce Brothers

Today's Acronym:

Focus

Follow
    one
    course
    until
    successful

I thought this one was great as we focus on our fiber, eating less and moving more, and being kind to ourself. The quote is good for thinking positively about our image. It all works together for our success and we are DOING It!!

My sweet nutritionist, Ashley, called me yesterday and we had quite a lengthy and positive discussion. She always emailed me through my Blue Cross secure system some weightloss tips and tips for reducing sodium and choleseterol. Here are a few:

Eat at least three times per day
    Pay attention to your body, when you feel like you have nad enough to eat, stop. Quit before you feel full, stuffed, or sick from eating. You can have more if you are really hungry.
    Get plenty of fiber. Vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are good soures. Have a high fiber cereal every day.
    Cut back on sugar. For example, drink less fruit juice and regular soda.
    Keep all food in the kitchen. Eat only in a chosen place, such as at the table. Don't eat in the car or the bedroom or in front of the tv.
    Plan meals ahead of time.
    Cook when you are not hungry. For example, cook and refigerate tomorrow's dinner after you have finshed eating tonight.
    Make fruits, vegetables, and other low calorie foods part of each meal.
    Eat slowly. take a few 1 minute breaks from eating during meals. Put your fork down between bites. cut your food one bit at a time.
    Enjoy fruit for dessert instead of cake, pie or other sweets.
    Leave a little food on your plate. (You control the food, it doesn't control you.)
    Snacking can be part of your plan for healthy weight losss. You can eat six times per day as long as you plan what to eat and don't eat too many calories.
    Keep low calorie snacks in a special part of the refrigerator. Good choices include the following:
    * reduced-fat string cheese, low calorie yogurt, and fat free milk.
    * washed, bite=sized pieces of raw vegetable, such as carrots, celery, pepper strips, cucumber, broccoli, and cauliflower. Serve with low-calorie dips.
    * fresh fruit.

I hope you all enjoy and can pick one topic out of the above that may help you.

Karla

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Good morning. Got some sleep again and while not all the way back, am clearly a bit better -- enough, I think, to go to dinner and symphony this evening with three women I used to work with. Patti, this means you'll have to do double Bengals duty for me until probably the fourth quarter. The Steelers are my least favorite team so really hope the Bengals trounce them.

Karla, that acronym is excellent. The nutritionist tips are all common-sense stuff we all know but very good reminders. Thanks!

Had high-fiber crackers and PB for dinner last night and a yogurt for dessert -- filling but non-challenging. Thinking I will just have soup at the restaurant unless feeling much better. I did have something before 11 today, but just a low-carb, high-protein shake. Darn -- had hoped to be able to enjoy a glass of wine and a nice piece of fish, but both sound wholly unappetizing.

This coming week I have bloodwork for endocrinologist -- hope she can help me with things even before my repeat scan this spring. I really think my Synthroid dosage needs to be adjusted again. Friends who've been through this say it's a pain getting regulated but until we get to cruise-control stage, it will be extra hard for me to lose. Ah well -- at least the diseased gland is out of there and my radioactive iodine is in there doing its job.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good dreary morning, outside only, I am feeling much better and even have my workout clothes on. Just finished my breakfast and will meet with Leslie for a 30 minute workout once it settles. Then I am going to my craft room, it needs cleaning desperately. I tend to throw everything in there to get it out of the way and then I don't want to go in and craft when it is a mess. I have some ideas for the wedding invites and really want to get started on some mock ups to show my grandson's fiance. Her colors are pale pink and ivory and her flower is peony. She is going for elegant vintage. I have a beautiful peony stamp that I hope to be able to use. Also want to make some birthday invitations for Mom's birthday.

Karla, thanks for the reminder tips. My take away is to stop eating when full, I can always have more later. The cooking when you are not hungry only works if you are having a casserole or soup, lol. Eating as fresh as possible makes it hard to cook ahead. I do try to have some fruit or veggies on hand to snack on while cooking if I have waited too long to eat. How nice to have a nutritionist to follow with you and give you such good advice and feedback.

Janet, I will gladly root the Bengals on for you, I feel the same way about the Steelers. Just wish Andy Dalton was playing. But my true love is the Broncos and luckily they have earned a by for this round. Just hope Peyton can stay healthy thru the playoffs. Would love to see him earn that ring. I feel so bad that you are still not up to snuff for your evening out with friends. Maybe by then you will feel a bit better. With as little as you ate yesterday it is no wonder you couldn't wait until 11 for your shake.

Wishing everyone a good on plan day, whatever your plan is.
    Patti

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Janet- Please take it easy all day to ensure you really have the strength to attend this evening. I know you, like myself, love to socialize with great friends and enjoy classical entertainment, but remember we have to listen to our bodies. You know I care. Plus, try and eat more today, without making yourself sick, to give yourself the fuel you will need. I worry!! Ever since you stated you were going to only eat 800 calories per day I was concerned. As far as you thyroid is concerned, everyone I know, and there are quite a lot of friends and family, that are on synthroid or the like, continually have to have it adjusted for years on end. Just prepare yourself. I think and wonder, if once you are fully healed and back to a healthy eating pattern, if you start the chair strength training that it may be your savior on losing, not just through the food. Just thoughts and prayers.

I have adjusted my nutrients to the below:

Cholesterol - 200
    Sodium - 1500
    Fiber - 25
    Calories - 1200
    Carbs - 90
    Protein - 135

Today's topic:

What are your nutrients set at? Please list.

Karla
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all -
    Sorry I have not posted in a while. Been busy, but it's been a great week! I love the beginning of diets...I am down almost 4 pounds since Monday! I have logged every day, exercised every day and only had one beer I am at my daughters guitar practice right now and then driving an hour for my youngest's basketball tournament.

Karla, my nutrients are set as follows:
    Fat 53
    Cholesterol 300
    Carbs 198
    Sodium 2300
    Protein 79
    Fiber 25

I am not sure about my current carb/fat/protein ratio. I am currently targeting 50/30/20, but think I need more protein and fewer carbs.

Trying to read back through all the posts. Will reply a bit later.
  • luzingg
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Janet, I had no idea you were dropping down to 800cal. I know you know your body but that is truly not a healthy number. You need more just to heal. Just my 2 cents worth.

Karla, I think you have set your sodium awfully low. People with congestive heart failure or kidney disease are told to restrict to 2000mg and that is very hard to do. A healthy person with no heart failure can metabolize 2500-3000mg.

This is what my nutrients are set at but I am going to do a little research and reset them later:

Calories: 1300
    Carb: 163
    Fat: 43
    Sodium: 2300
    Fiber: 25
    Cholesterol: 300
    Protein: 65 (definitely going to up this one)

• JP_in_KY
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Way to go, Lisa!

Patti, I will root for the Denver Peytons too.

I'm not dropping to 800. Have set daily goal at 1100 and try to stay around 1050. BUT here's the rub -- I have to be UNDER 800 to lose, even when I move as much as possible. My metabolism stinks and the thyroid/Hashimoto's stuff makes it tougher. So I will find a way to do what I have to and do my best to overcome med side effects. Still, it just makes me angry ... at myself, even though I know it's irrational!

I met my calorie target last nught with PB high-calorie but comforting.

My body does not respond to "you have to eat more to lose." AT ALL. Those of you who've known me awhile are aware that my system defies conventional wisdom so it's trial & error for me to lose. But I'm up for the science project!

• xjsjaguar
    Options
    Although subject to adjustments, currently my nutrients are set as follows:
    Calories: 1200
    Carbs: 135 (hard to stay under while consuming lots of fresh produce)
    Fat: 27
    Protein: 105 (still trying to reach this level without excess fat)
    Sodium: 2000

When I check the reports on actual consumption, there are always surprising trends that appear over 30 days. There is still much to learn about how my body reacts to the foods I eat and this has changed over time. Thus my desire to include regular strength building to the cardio each week. Hope to return to goal weight by end of July.
  • luzingg
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Janet, hopefully once you get the thyroid meds adjusted things will be a bit more normal and less science project for you, lol. I admire that you have worked thru so much and are still willing to keep tweaking it until you find what is going to work for you. Few people could handle it with as much grace as you have done.

Just finished the burn 30 with Leslie. I am so used to 60 minute classes that it was over in a flash. will have to keep that in mind for future home exercise, especially on the weekends and possibly on Monday when I have such a bad habit of ditching my Monday nite Zumba class

NEW NUTRIENT GOALS

Cal: 1300
    Carb: 130
    Protein: 98
    Fat: 43

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Patti- it was my nutritionist and the paperwork she emailed me, that said a low sodium diet should be around 1500. The paperwork also said that 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt has 600mg in it. The paperwork says if you follow a low sodium diet and avoid processed foods, the sodium content will be about 1500mg/day. This will allow you to have 1/8 tsp table salt to season your food. Use lite salt and you can have 1/4. This is only for those that are retaining water, even if you take a pill for blood pressure to remove fluid, it is still important to have less salt in your diet. If you don't have the water retention, that what you advised would be correct. On the cholesterol, I had previously been advised by a low cholesterol diet from my physician, which was printed from WebMD, of 300 mg as all of you have stated. But on my nutritionist paperwork ways to REDUCE cholesterol, if you have the concern, is now 200mg. One egg yolk has 212 mg!! Again, if you don't have the issue or concern, than 300 is fine.

Lisa- Of course we missed you, but totally understand schedules. You have rocked this week lady!! Congrats on the 4 pounds!!

Janet- So sorry, I knew you had mentioned the 800 and feared that's what you were doing. Good news if you haven't since your body is still healing and you have this stomach bug too. Hugs for a better year for you our pretty friend.

I have a large crockpot full of healthy veggie soup going. I saved some cabbage from a dish earlier this week for it. It is yucky and rainy here and next week we are to be in the 30s!! I used no sodium chicken broth as my base and added a can of low sodium black beans for more fiber. I like having this for Glenn as my tall man gets so hungry and this is a healthy option for him.

I am feeling so much better, hardly coughing at all, and have been catching my clients up. Life is GOOD.

Karla
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this MFP thing is still a work in progress for me. I did not realize I could adjust my nutrient goals!
    Right now I'm at the default for the weight, activity, weight loss goals etc that I entered, and they are as follows:

Cal: 1200
    Carb: 150
    Fat: 40
    Fiber: 21
    Sugar: 45
    Protein: 60

I have figured out how to change which 6 I display - really wish I could display 7 with our focus on fiber right now! Have chosen to hide sugars. Most of my sugars comes from fruit, which I love, so as long as I stay within calories I'm not going to worry about sugars. For example, today I am already at 40 sugars including 17 from my morning pineapple, 7 from a clementine, 7 from my dannon greek fruit yogurt and 4 from baby carrots!

I'm also set to consume the calories I earn through exercise - can't figure out how to change that without going to the premium (pay) version.

Going to go out for a walk once my lunch settles a bit - it's 50 but not raining, so probably as good as the weekend will get.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Appears as if we are all exploring, thinking and researching as I had hope to inspire!! It is our health and it is our responsibility. We do have to tweak it for our own perspective needs!!

Diane- So glad to see your smiling and cheerful face everyday. I had the same wish about displaying at least seven so we could see all we need! Your motor home I saw on FB is so beautiful. I know you and John will look forward to many great explorations together. Glenn and I love to travel too.

Patti- There is a way to add your own favorite foods. I looked into it today. Would take a little time to choose them, but well worth it on how many daily foods we repeat. I am going to work on mine.

My darling Glenn is home. We have had shredded wheat biscuit cereal with half a banana and 4 strawberries for our added fibe today. For lunch I had some all beef weiners with turkey chili on them on a whole wheat bun. Tonight we are having a night grilled T-bone steak with fresh snapped green beans and sweet potatoes. Glenn has been so wonderful with his plan this week, this is his reward. I will eat about 3 ounces of the steak myself.

Still plugging away on my payments, doing laundry and listening to series shows on Amazon.

Karla
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wow - you ladies are just awesome how you support one another! I am happy I found you.

I did not list my cals, but I am shooting for 1560 and eating back my exercise calories. I really struggle on the days I don't workout...hats off to all of you who are succeeding with healthy diets and super low calorie intakes. Janet, let me echo the thoughts above that intuitively it seems like your body would need more than 1000 calls to get and stay healthy and I hope your new thyroid med level will support that.

Karla - dinner tonight sounds great!i am an "everything in moderation" kind of gal, so bring on the occasional steak! Glad you are feeling better. What kind of clients do you have?

Diane - yes, even healthy food can have lots of sugar! Pineapple...mmmmmm

Patti - good job on your workout! Does it challenge you like the longer classes? How are your craft room and invitations coming?

Janet - I hope you enjoy the concert and time with your friends! When I lived in Chicago, I went to the opera several times a year, but since moving to Canada, I have only been to one Toronto symphony performance. I miss it!

JudyAnn- seems like it's rainy everywhere! Glad you are doing well with your food choices!

Cindy - check out nia shanks. I am doing her freeweight program. It's pretty quick.

Mary Lynn - they say the most effective workout is one that YOU DO. nothing at all wrong with body weight exercises!

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! We got home from the lake about lunch time. Those of you who I've known for a while will remember the crazy tales of the escapades with my dogs, Laci and Dinky. Dinky now lives with Jessi, my youngest daughter, and Laci with Dave and me.. Laci is a 13-year old fox terrier and her health has been steadily declining since about August. I fear she is very near the end. For about the past week, it's been a struggle to get her to eat. Every time I find something she's willing to eat, she will only eat it once or twice. While we were at the lake, I started scrambling eggs for her, but now she won't even eat them. I'm more attached to this little angel than I've been to any of the lifetime of dogs I've had and my heart is just breaking, knowing what is coming.

I'm sorry for the downer news but need to let y'all know what's going on.

Dave and I had a very nice hike yesterday morning. We went about 2 1/2 miles, which isn't long for a hike, but was double my longest single walk to date since my broken foot and sprained ankle. I'm happy to report no foot or ankle issues and my new hiking boots performed well and were quite comfortable.

Eating has been mostly good and all tracked. I missed this morning's usual WW meeting, but had attended one on Wednesday knowing I'd miss today. I'm really excited about this journey for the first time in a long time and it's even better to have all of you here to share it! And to talk about it with HOLY COW there were over 50 posts to read to get caught up from being gone only two days!!!