OMG Ladies ~ FIT - Fiber, Increase Metabolism & Treat Ourselves Kindly - 2016 Challenges

Options

Replies

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am interested in joining in with you all if someone can tell me how I can be added to the group. Anyone here in their 40's?
    Be blessed,
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Blessed - welcome! We take all who want to be a part of us. We have a lot of new people whose ages I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if some of them are in their 40's. There are several of us who are 50's and 60's.

Good news gang! I went to WW today since we will be out of town at the lake on Saturday, my usual day. I'm thrilled to report a 1.4# loss in only 4 days!!! Just goes to show what tracking and minding what you eat will do for you. Last night's "one day at a time" revelation has really opened my mind to tracking.

OK, I need to check in on the work computer and get some online training completed. Chat with y'all later!
    Suzi
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    Yes I'm on the run this week just getting back into the swing of things at the office- super busy but making progress. I think there should be a pass on meeting for the first week to catch up on emails and such- My boss is back from Spain so who knows what comes next- doing another read on R2S- and just caught a consistency issue so good I'm doing it again. We had a real issue with Last First Kiss E-book. Thank you Judy we've had to rebuild the files twice- I guess this book is meant to be a bugger- Once it is reposted on Amazon you'll need to re-download it- it will be a free update for those of you who've purchased it already.
    I'll post my fiber tonight but I think I'm on track. I'm really trying to eat clean but yesterday I succumbed to a cookie and a min pack of M n M's- not a good reason I just let some emotional stuff get the best of me-
    Welcome to our new friends and our old ones too-
    I am 53 from western MA- I have two adult daughters and two adult step sons- married for 3 years, again, and thinking about my long term retirement plan.
    I am a self published romance author with 4 books out and the 5th one due out in a few months.
    I have lost 40 pounds- regained 5 recently and still need to lose 35 + the 5 I gained. I will do it this year- one way or another.
    I need to exercise more and eat better. I'm a stress eater for sure with sweets being my go-to snack of choice.
    I gave up all soda- diet and regular 3 years ago- and haven't looked back so I know I can make long term goals and stick to them.
    The to new ladies- the core group is amazing bunch of women and the best I have ever met. I wish we all lived close to each other as I often feel that we would talk endlessly if we were together.
    I need to run but I will be back.
  • cindyr619
    Options
    Fiber- Monday 16
    Tuesday- 21
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all - hubby wants to go out for vietnamese tonight. SO hard to be good at a restaurant where everyone shares the entrees! At least I have soccer, so I won't be tempted to have a beer with dinner!

Karla - what are you going to put in your gym besides a treadmill?

Blessed - you "join" just by posting here...make sure you star the thread in the upper right hand corner so you can find us easily! I have 6 more months of 40s left...

Judy - I went to costco today, too! I got keurig cups, floormats for my car and a new snow shovel. It was a super quick trip, but I still spend over $100! sigh!!

Cindy - I went to college at Smith. Western MA is so different from the big cities like Boston and Hartford.
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - I am so stoked!! I got my Garmin VivoFit and synced it to the Garmin website and then synced it to My Fitness Pal!! So neat.

Fiber: Monday: 16, Tuesday 21, so far today 16 without dinner posted yet. Yea me!!

Back later,

Welcome Blessed, what is you name, your story, yes, please join us. We are all young and fun at heart no matter our actual digit!

Karla
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This group is exactly what I have been hoping for! So pleased to have found you all here and will participate with you. Just finished a wonderful long hike through the forest, so ready to read and enjoy your comments. Have been on MFP previously with great results and am committed to continue towards weight and fitness goals personally. So excited to be here and eager to support others along the journey. Will check on the fiber and post later.

MaryLynn
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Finished logging daily entries, although I've found I sometimes need to add an item or two.

Fiber -
    Mon: 18
    Tue: 24
    Wed: 22
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Finally made it to the new board! Back to work this week and it's kicking my butt! Trying to get organized and get back on track! Take me a bit to read up on everyone!

Ruthann
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    karla - is vivofit kind of like a fitbit?

marylynn - welcome!

ruthann - hi!
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Myra is 47! I live in Raleigh, NC with my husband of 12 years and our two daughters, aged 11 and 9. I have two older children from a previous marriage, a daughter, 22 and a son, 20. neither are married and no grandchildren (thank goodness!) my weight is OK, but I really struggle with food sensitivities. I have "treatment resistant depression" and find that eating sugar and flour have a tremendous effect on my depression level. my meds are constipating (TMI), therefore i require much more fiber than the average bear!!
    The best anti-depressant for me, by far, is vigorous exercise, which i have unfortunately not been able to participate in for months due to pain in my hip. I am in physical therapy, but my progress has been very frustratingly slow. It has been six months since i have run, and 4 months since i have bicycled. The only thing i haven't given up is "gentle yoga", and my physical therapist knows better than to ask me to give that up too!!
    I quit logging after lunch yesterday (which happens frequently), so i guess my goal is: log, no matter what.
    my fiber yesterday, was 19 after lunch. the rest of the eating day is a blur, and today i'm suffering the consequences. I'm happy to say that today i'm on track. my total sugar has been 9 grams, and 8 of them were from lentils. yes, i overdid the lentils today, but .... i'm at 55 grams of fiber, LOL.
    i hope someone can get a chuckle out of that, for laughter truly is the best medicine ;)
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, Blessed and MaryLynn. This is an open and supportive group Karla and Patti created. The more, the merrier.

Paula, hope all went well with your niece and that you are now a greta aunt. My great nephew is the light of my life. Because I was never lucky enough to have kids, my nieces are like my kids to me and it's beautiful to see them both married to quality men who adore them and make them laugh.

I have pretracked dinner (salad with shrimp and Wasa crackers) and will end the day with 32 grams of fiber. Am pleased with that -- I'd like to be above 25 grams a day most of the time. Almost slipped and picked up a snack while out but reminded myself of my mini-goal and didn't do it. Whew. (Why does food have to be so tasty???)

Ground turkey is thawing for chili and I'm hoping to get the cooking jones in the next couple of days. I'm going to try roasting a whole head of cauliflower too -- the NY Times raves about it and it seems easy.

Because I had well under four hours of sleep last night, I'm going to shower and chill tonight. May check in later but if not I'll see you all in the morning.

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Lisa- Yes, the Garmin vivofit is like the fitbit but allows swimming and you can even shower and bathe in it. I have a pool in the back yard and will be to swimming come late April. I live down on the Gulf of Mexico outside of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!! In my mini gym I am also going to get a small stationary bike, I have lots of weights and dvds and yoga mats already. I'm more of the dvd type, and will do them in this room after we get it set up.

RuthAnn- So glad to see you back dear. Would you like to set a mini goal for yourself? It can be anything you want.

Myra- Sorry about the hip, but boy can I relate. I aggravated mine on Monday sitting on a low stool at one of my clients. I have some physical challenges, but find I can still do the Leslie Sansone low impact aerobics dvds. I wholeheartedly agree that exercise is good for the mind and soul. We will lose our muscle mass if we don't keep some sort of regular exercise going.

Janet- I went back to sleep and got in 3 more hours!! I was almost late for my doctor appointment. All is good with me, my BP was 129/80, no on any meds for it, cholesterol is 169, but, the weight is up. I told her what I was doing here and she was glad. My niece Lainie, gifted me the Trisha Yearwood's second cookbook for Christmas, there is a low fat version of mac and cheese she raves about that has cauliflower mixed in with the noodles.

I did use the recipe builder on MFP today. It did pretty good. I had made my cabbage jambalaya. I am down 2.1 pounds since Monday. I have to keep this going girls!!

Karla
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Wow, we are really getting a nice group going here.
    Welcome MaryLynn and Blessed. Welcome back Ruthann and Myra. Love to see our family of friends growing with so many different regions of the country represented.

I have made only fair headway today. Woke with a sore throat that I gave no mind to but it developed into an earache, think it is just fluid build up behind the drum but it has thrown my game off a bit. I try not to take antihistamines or decongestants because of my blood pressure. So will just see how it goes. No fever or body aches, other than the ones caused by TRX, lol. So eating has been well below my calorie goal and definitely below my fiber goal, but that is just how it will be for today. I did get everything off the shelves and more than 1/2 of it put away. Nothing back up though. On 4th load of laundry and will change the sheets before I go to bed. Will keep plugging away until then.

Suzi, I am going to try to adopt your "just for today" mantra and stop worrying about tomorrow, next weekend, next month......

Thinking of Bert and praying all is well, I am sure Karla will let us know as soon as she hears anything.

Patti

• cindyr619
    Options
    HI Girls-
    I did 30 minutes at 18 MPH on my e-bike. Did some reading and had a great dinner- so now I'm done for today
    2 days so far this week with No S- Tuesday didn't work out. But I can build on two good days.
    It is so good to see new faces with the original group.
    RuthAnn- welcome
    Myra- we are in the together.
    Trying to decide what to have for dinner tomorrow as I need to get back to preplanning the day before. It helps me stay on track.
    Has anyone heard from Bert?
    I've been doing some reading and it has said that strength training is critical to lose weight- cardio is just one component- any thoughts on this?
    Karla- I love Trisha's cooking show. She seems so nice....
    I need to do some research but I will see you all tomorrow.
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all - too tired for more than a quick check in. Three days in a row of 12 hour work days. I was so hungry when I got home I munched everything I could ind. Luckily most of it was protein based, but I've still blown today. Going to bed at just 8:00 - tomorrow will be another day.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Surgery went well no more pinched nerve!!
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bert, thank you so much for popping in to share the good news. With the pain from the pinched nerve moving into the rear view mirror, you have to be beaming inside. So happy for you - you've had a great attitude despite the pain.

Karla, good news at the doc. You're on your way back down and all the rest looks great.
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bert, so glad to hear it was a successful surgery. Hopefully this will relieve all your pain.

Patti - feel free to adopt my slogan. The more I think about it the more I think it's going to be a real game-changer for me. My biggest objection to tracking has been that I just flat couldn't stand the thought of doing it the rest of my life. One day at a time or "just for today" as they also say in AA and AlAnon, means I don't have to think about doing it for the rest of my life.

MaryLynn where do you hike? That's one of my favorite things to do!

Someone asked about weight training. I truly believe it helps with weight loss and that the older we get the more we need it. It helps prevent fractures, helps improve stability and balance. And, that lean muscle mass keeps the metabolism furnace burning hotter and longer. It's something I intend to add to my exercise routine this year. I had just begun using the weight machines at the Y last year when I hurt my ankle, then broke my foot, then had the kidney stone episode. Now, 5 months later, I'm ready to get back after it.
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Bert, so happy to hear your good news. Now rest so you can come home strong.

Suzi, I am in agreement with you on the weight training. It is probably more beneficial than aerobics in the long run. I am going to be adding that to my routine very soon. The beauty is that you don't have to lift heavy weights to get results. It's all about form and slow steady movement with weights. You also don't have to do a ton of reps to get the fat burning benefits.

Did a bit more on the shelves but am done in. The sheets are going to have to wait until tomorrow. I love my waterbed but it is a bear to change the sheets and Edd is no help. He just doesn't seem to be able to lift and tuck well enough to keep the sheets on. Oh well, he he put a new battery in my car so will give him a pass on this.
    Patti