OMG Ladies ~ FIT - Fiber, Increase Metabolism & Treat Ourselves Kindly - 2016 Challenges

Options

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Suzi, hugs. No words can do it justice. Most of us have been there and know how incredibly hard it is.

Decided not to go - afraid of being at restaurant, in concert hall it even car and needing not to be right there very quickly. Oh well - one friend and j gave a pops concert next Saturday and I should be long since recovered by then.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    wow. 32 posts since i checked here last..... I agree with Suzi's "HOLY COW" i don't think i can keep up with you ladies! but i shall try. I second Lisa's comment.... you are all so supportive of one another.... it's wonderful!

Suzi - I'm so sorry your Laci isn't doing so well. I have two aging pets (one cat, one dog) and have lost several beloved pets in the past. I call them "fur babies". It sounds like Laci is a most special dog for you and I empathize.

Bert - I hope you are home and continue to heal at lightening speed!

I hope those of you battling colds get better fast! this dreary weather needs to move on out. my husband is fighting something too... i know he's not feeling well when he voluntarily eats chicken soup for lunch ;)

as far as my OMG goes.... hubby decided we'd eat out last night (at buffet no less), but i logged what i ate the best i could.

Karla - I like today's acronym, thanks! I need to FOCUS on cleaning out my closet ;) thanks, also, for sharing Ashley's tips!

Patti - I've been thinking of making thai peanut sauce with PB2 but haven't tried it yet.... good to know i have a resource if my first concoction turns out wrong ;)

All you exercisers need to keep up the great work! I am hoping to return to exercise some time this year. last week my physical therapist said i'm still not stable enough in the hips to go back to running. "this too shall pass" (it's just taking longer than i want!)

i'll try to post more soon!
    Myra
  • 68myra
    Options
    here are my currents settings, but I honestly haven't been following the macros (fat, carbs, protein), but I have been watching calories, fiber and sugar!
    1400 cal
    123g carbs
    70g fat
    70g protein
    45g fiber
    25g sugar
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi all -
    well, I have to admit that my food choices have not been good today...capped off by a spicy chicken sandwich at wendy's and a beer after my soccer game. I am still 200 cals under my goal after playing soccer, but I am now starving. sigh...

bert - how goes the transition home?

suzi - sorry to hear about your laci! kudos on your hike. how did you break your foot and sprain your ankle?? yikes!
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

We got everyone outside today (even the dogs!) for an hour of hiking. Did some arm strengthening exercises prior to that - basically starting from scratch for triceps, so push-ups are going to be my new greatest challenge lol!

Fiber was awesome today - 36 - with chili, salads and even cereal. Feel satiated... guess that'll happen with fiber!

Love all the comments, feedback, encouragement and honesty! So fortunate to have found you ladies :)
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware of having hurt my ankle, but it started hurting later in the afternoon the day of our final hike in Colorado in August. After two separate setbacks, it was still giving me fits in early October. In fact, I was even wearing the ankle brace my orthopedic doc put me in when my foot slipped off the side of the shovel while digging in the flower bed and my foot rolled up lengthwise like a taco inside my shoe. Clean break of the 4th metatarsal just behind the head of the bone. Luckily, it was on the same foot as the bum ankle and the time in an air cast also allowed the ankle to heal. I now do daily ankle strengthening exercises. I played basketball for nearly 20 years with no ankle injuries, but suffer through a 4-month injury from walking around on a trail that I wasn't even aware of having done anything!
  • smack59
    Options
    Ok, I really need to do a better job of proofreading. Good grief what horrible English!
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Suzi - My heart aches for the tough struggle with facing Laci's decline. She is very blessed to have you love her!
    Karla - Many thanks for sharing the tips from the nutritionist. Hard to choose just one to focus on.
    Janet - Well done for working your way through the current challenges. We are here for you to explore along with.
    Bert - Hope the healing continues and that your quietness means that you are resting.
    Myra - I recall running and the "high". Hiking is my preference for a challenging cardio. Well done on logging all!

MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Well I am about to spit nails!!!!! The Bengals had it sewed up (by the skin of their teeth actually) and then the defense threw it all away with needless, mean-spirited and totally stupid penalties at the end. I bet there is at least one player who won't be on the roster next year and his name rhymes with perfect, how ironic is that. Sorry, had to get it out. I am fine now cuz my real team is the Broncos, lol

So nice to see everyone stopping by, even if it means a bit more time reading. I am really enjoying our new focus and having some new perspectives.

Janet, wise of you to stay in but sorry you had to miss the symphony and time with your friends. Hoping tomorrow finds you feeling much improved.

Suzi, I know it is so hard to watch our loving pets get to this stage. Sending you lots of hugs for you and for Laci.

Lisa, don't you hate it when you eat junk, use up your calories and are still hungry. Wonder why we don't remember that before eating it? At least you came in under your goals for the day.

MaryLynn, I don't get much outdoor activity this time of year, not a lover of temps below 60. So good for you, the family and the pets.

I got a real shock today. I found out I have to make 200 invites, plus RSVPs and thank you cards. Thought it would only be 100. Hardest part is going to be finding the correct paper and get the printing right. The design is pretty simple, just a lot of cutting, scoring and folding. She offered to help but I think I can do it myself.

See you tomorrow
    Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning all. Just stopped by to log my breakfast before I head for church. I've decided I like the "net calories" report available here - tells me whether I'm staying within my "losing" calorie limit based on combined exercise and eating.

MaryLynn, we love to hike! Where do you live? Are you able to hike just from your home, or do you have to drive somewhere?

Suzie, ouch! I hadn't heard about your ankle injury either. I broke my ankle about 12 years ago, and I still remember some of the exercises the PT had me do Best one was standing on a trampoline or a pillow and playing catch.

Patti, that is a lot of work! But I know how you love crafting, so hopefully it will be fun for you.

Back later - I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. Need to get some exercise, but I think it is supposed to rain all day.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Patti, what a bizarre mess of a 4th quarter. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory due to bad blood. Pathetic. 200 is a lot of invites!

We got a couple of inches of snow overnight - beautiful. Patti, wish I could take your winter in trade for my summer!

MaryLynn, you are a marvel!

Lisa, sounds like you did OK, given the stop at Wendy's. That is a tasty sandwich. When faced with a fast-food sandwich, I try to eat all the meat, lose half the bun.

Made the right call last night. Definitely feeling improved this morning. I ate too many Wasa Light crackers but they helped. And cheese too but the overage wasn't terrible. Hoping I will feel up to more protein today - been relying on yogurt & protein shakes for several days. Think eggs might work, or broth with a can of chicken. We shall see. I miss veggies but should be ready to start back in them very soon too.

Going to stay in again here and let my body bounce back. Later!
  • smack59
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! After our snow yesterday, it's a bright, beautiful COLD day in OKC. High temp will only be about 33 today! Brrrrr!!!

We have OU women's basketball this afternoon, but other than that, I'll be in the house. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday and need to get more treadmill time today. Off to make some oatmeal for breakfast. I'll chat with y'all later.
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies and welcome to Sunday. What a great, chatty, devoted and interesting group we have! I could not be more pleased. I love reading about all your lives.

Janet- I am so glad you stayed home last night. You have next weekend to look forward to and enjoy fully. I know it is difficult to feed your body for the fuel it needs when you have gastric issues. So very glad you are feeling better this morning.

Patti- You sound like Glenn when he is upset with his team plays poorly. This year our Alabama Crimson Tide did so well, I didn't have to deal with it. Tomorrow they play in the dessert against Clemson. It will be a late night for him with having to get up at 4a on Tuesday. I am going to Tammy's condo Tuesday afternoon for our birthday celebrations. Unfortunately, we are having our coldest temps, with wind chill factors showing 26. We are going to do some shopping, dinner and maybe even a movie. I'm spending the night and all day Wednesday. I always think of our visit there when you were down. Hard to believe that is going on five years ago.

Diane- Do you have a fitness tracker? The fitbit and garmin and several others can be linked to MFP. I've got to see what is going on with mine, as in Garmin Connect it shows me eating 2300 calories yesterday and I actually ate 1083. LOL. I did get over 10k steps yesterday by getting up from my desk every hour and walking 10 minutes inside the house!! LOL.

Suzi- I have an aging Brutus, he turned 13 this month. He go through spells, but cold weather is his friend. He suffers terribly for allergies through the spring and summer and has to be on prednisolone pills. I can see he has cataracts on his eyes, he can't see the food I toss to him as well either. Plus, it's been over a year or two since he has been able to jump up into the car. I took he, and Millie, to the groomer's on Friday, so they are both too cute. One a poodle, Brutus, and the other, Ms Millie, is a short Yorkie. I love them so.

Marylynn- I am going to look at my reports today, glad you mentioned that, and see what my trends are.

Myra- Great to see you here, always. Yes, we are a chatty lot. LOL. Can you do any chair exercise for your upper body while benched, no pun intended, for the hips? It is a real popular concept right now.

Lisa- Fast food happens, and so does beer! My husband, Glenn, and I love the craft beers. We enjoy visiting pubs around the area and when traveling. Next month we have a weekend excursion with two other couples over in Destin, Florida. We are going to a brewery not far from there. Luckily, I hardly ever finish one beer, Glenn does it for me. I like Janet's idea of leaving off half the bun.

I also have a fun time coming up next weekend. On Sunday, one of the local Blues clubs has a benefit with three blues bands playing, starting at 2p. Two others couples, plus my single friend Bronda, are all meeting Glenn and I there. This place has amazing bands from New Orleans and around the area. I like that it is mid afternoon for us old folks. LOL. We had a wonderful evening. Just Glenn and I, a nice dinner and two good movies, all alone. Those that know me, know that it is the very first weekend in months that I have not had any grandchildren. But I must admit, I miss Isabella terribly. LOL

My week in review is awesome. I completed the 30 Minute Burn dvd four times, clock over 9k steps two of the three days I've had the Garmin, tracked every bit and stayed within my calorie intacke, actually a little below. I could not accomplish this without all the feedback and encouragement I receive from this forum/board. Thank you so very much!!

Karla
  • 68myra
    Options
    Suzi…. yikes, the sound of your ankle injuries makes me feel less sorry for myself with my stupid hip :) please let us know how Laci is doing…. i remember making our dog Hooch dog food in a desperate attempt…. after explaining all the ingredients, I double dog dared my adult son to try some, and he LIKED it….. LOL

MaryLynn, thanks for the encouragement. I dislike logging “ALL” and facing up to my choices in print, haha. I live in flatlands of NC, so hiking sounds tempting, but not nearby. bicycling helped my mental health somewhat…. i hope to start either that or jogging SOON. time will tell.

Patti - I feel your pain on that football game loss. I plan to sorta watch today’s game…. as i sort threw piles of papers i’ve been squirreling away in bags in my closet. I think i’d be folding invites to random games on TV as well ;) Being in Raleigh, though… i’m going for the PANTHERS all the way! :)

Diane - good morning to you too! I used to be a faithful church attender…. then I married an agnostic. I miss the singing the most!

Lisa - I agree with others…. you did OK…. just don’t be like me and let it lead to two weeks of eating junk with abandon! haha

Janet - good job taking care of yourself and KEEP IT UP! my exercise buddy has had a thyroidectomy (many moons ago) and has hashimoto’s. I’m so sorry for everyone who has to deal with that. Seshu and I have “been together” for 5 years now, and i always feel guilty telling her how much I can get away with eating :( I have my father to thank for a high metabolism, but as of my mid-40’s i find i’m losing it.

speaking of self-care…. the “be kind to yourself” is certainly going to be the hardest part of this whole adventure for me, personally. i’m not good at it, but i’m determined to work on it. (whether my psych meds are “working” or not.) if for nothing else, to be a good example to my little girls.

so glad i’ve stumbled upon you ladies. and to think…. it was only because a different thread i participate in was put under “challenges” instead of the usual “motivation and support” this month!!!

Myra
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls-
    It takes longer for us all to stay up to date on the happens of our little/ larger group- but I love it.
    Janet- glad you stayed in to kick the bug- you didn't need to pick up any additional germs.
    Suzi- so sorry about Laci- I fear that every day with my babies, Jasper and Griffin. Hugs
    Patti- you always make me chuckle with your love of football and have Janet right there with you.
    Karla- Thank you for posting all the great info- I have to dig into my numbers today and you have all inspired me.
    Judy- It's good to see you stopping by daily- you will go this.
    Diane- there is so much on this site and it's free- I love it and so glad you're back. What is your retirement date and how is the Class A.
    Lisa- you sound like you're super active- are you at goal for weight and maintaining? Thanks for the Nia Shanks name. I'll check it out
    Myra- is hiking your exercise of choice?
    Bert- if you're checking in hope you are behaving yourself.
    Paula- thinking of you often

We had a busy day yesterday- went to see Star Wars- so great, camping show later in the day and then cracker barrel for dinner- not good food choices after breakfast but I'm moving on. I did walk before breakfast for 35 minutes, great pace but not enough water during the day. I did a detox water of cucs, mint, grapefruit and water for today and I'll exercise later - before dinner.
    Need to run- need a belt for the vacuum cleaner- see you all later- enjoy the day.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good nearly afternoon ya'll. Woke up in the middle of the night and it was raining. Woke up this am late and it had snowed. See what happens when you stay up late and sleep in?

Janet, you know I would gladly give up all of my winter for all of your summer, if only it worked that way, lol. Glad to hear you are on the mend but sorry you got hit with that bug. Lay low so you can enjoy next weekend.

Karla, you really made me do some thinking today, was pretty sure it was less than 5 years ago I was down there, but then I started questioning my own memory. Whew, I'm ok, well reasonably so, I was there Sept 2012, so a little over 3 years ago but it does seem like just yesterday. I know you miss your Izzy but sometimes it is just nice to devote all your attention to your sweet Glenn. I know how much he loves you and appreciates the extra alone time he gets.

Myra, love that you found us by serendipity, means you were meant to be here and we are glad you are. Am enjoying getting to know you and hope we can help you be more kind to yourself.

Diane, just wanted to tell you again how glad I am that you are back. You seem to be more determined and self focused now. We are all headed for a successful year, I just feel it.

Going to do a little research to see if I can find a weight workout I can do at home. I like having a video to follow instead of just a piece of paper with names of exercises and reps, which I left at the cabin anyway, along with my TRX! Called Mom this am to make sure she wasn't out playing in the snow, lol! She was more into razzing me about the Bengals game. Of course, she didn't have much to say about the poor showing her Houston team had. She is an avid football fan. We call back and forth during the games a lot when she is watching them. Mostly she records them to watch when she gets up in the middle of the night.

Karla, had a thought last night. Wonder if we want to start a thread that is just for listing our weekly list of mini goals and/or weekly challenges. We could call it something like OMG roster and weekly goals/challenges. In the opening we can put a disclaimer: Please do not post on this thread. This is for documenting the stated mini goals and challenges for the members of the OMG Ladies~Fit Thread. We could easily update that as our mini goals and challenges change, plus have easy access to everyones' names. What do you think?

Patti

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm guessing it's ok for me to join in and follow this challenge. Hope it's not too late. I need to get back on track bum at an all time high for weight in my life. Have gained 14.5 pounds in the last year after losing 30+ the year before. Not good as my 50+ body slows down. I need support and motivation. My niece is my friend on fitness pal but that's about it. Wishing you all the best with healthy living and a great 2016!

GOAL: TRACK EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT. AS A START, exerci
  • luzingg
    Options
    Micki, welcome to our group and it is never too late to join us. We have no rules, join in as much or as little as you like. We are all just like you. Looking for support, advice and friendship. We are all struggling in one way or another and it helps to know we are not alone. So glad you found us and hope you join in the chatter.

Just got the best phone call. My grandson's fiance called to tell me she had grossly miscalculated how many invites she needed. Her total was the head count, not the actual invites. Whew......she actually only needs 80. She realized this when she was addressing her save the date cards. She ordered 200 and only used 79. So glad she figured this out before I bought all the paper. Now I have an extra 120 envelopes, but they can always be used for cards. Just need to start making larger cards, lol.
    Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Researched high fiber foods and FLAX SEED is a great addition to anything you can think of... almost all fiber and very little carbs. Sprinkling away here!
  • 68myra
    Options
    i like flax seed too. "they" say that you need to grind it for our bodies to utilize it, but it oxidizes rapidly. so, freshly ground is the way to go. I went to a discount store and bought a spice/coffee grinder for cheap and use it only for grinding flax or chia seeds. Speaking of chia seeds.... I LOVE THEM! I typically eat them daily. i've used them as an egg substitute in baking, and i've even made a 'dessert' out of them (chia gel) i do not like putting them in my water bottle, as some people do. i just don't like that texture in my water! just my opinion