"New Year New Me"......shut up and get out the gym

Options

Replies

• plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    plm209 wrote: »
    No issue having the "resolutioner" crowd in my gym, my issue is when they don't know what they're doing, won't accept advice and don't respect the equipment.

My advice to newbies:
    • Don't take equipment from one area to another unless you're bringing it back in a few minutes. My gym doesn't have a designated DL bar. I take a bar off of a bench and may spend an hour doing different deadlift variations
    • Don't leave your water bottles on benches/machines and leave the gym or start a new exercise. This is the international symbol for "I'm using this and will be right back".
    • Don't hang out on one piece of equipment with your two buddies taking long breaks to talk between sets. I see 'bros' doing this WAY more than 'newbies'
    • Don't be afraid to ask for a spot. I'd rather help you finish your last set than pull that bar off your neck and I'm not judging you for the weight you're lifting.
    • If I'm politely coming up to you suggesting you try a lighter weight when curling and demonstrating a full range of motion, there's probably a reason. I'm 220 lbs and an experienced lifter, there's no reason a 150 lb beginner should be swinging the 45lb dumbbells around while curling. Ask for advice if you don't know how to do something or how a piece of equipment works. I'd actually be flattered to help you out.
    • Don't stand between me and the mirror if possible. I'm not 'mirin', I'm checking my form.
    • Re-rack your weights, I don't want to hunt for that 20lb dumbbell you left on the other side of the gym 2hrs ago.

This should be advice for ALL gym-goers. Not just the new ones.

But yea, this is all okay advice. Not where this thread started though.

If your gym doesn't have a dedicated DL bar you're going to the wrong gym. :lol:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I've never gone to a gym. Too man rules.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No issue having the "resolutioner" crowd in my gym, my issue is when they don't know what they're doing, won't accept advice and don't respect the equipment.

My advice to newbies:
    • Don't take equipment from one area to another unless you're bringing it back in a few minutes. My gym doesn't have a designated DL bar. I take a bar off of a bench and may spend an hour doing different deadlift variations
    • Don't leave your water bottles on benches/machines and leave the gym or start a new exercise. This is the international symbol for "I'm using this and will be right back".
    • Don't hang out on one piece of equipment with your two buddies taking long breaks to talk between sets. I see 'bros' doing this WAY more than 'newbies'
    • Don't be afraid to ask for a spot. I'd rather help you finish your last set than pull that bar off your neck and I'm not judging you for the weight you're lifting.
    • If I'm politely coming up to you suggesting you try a lighter weight when curling and demonstrating a full range of motion, there's probably a reason. I'm 220 lbs and an experienced lifter, there's no reason a 150 lb beginner should be swinging the 45lb dumbbells around while curling. Ask for advice if you don't know how to do something or how a piece of equipment works. I'd actually be flattered to help you out.
    • Don't stand between me and the mirror if possible. I'm not 'mirin', I'm checking my form.
    • Re-rack your weights, I don't want to hunt for that 20lb dumbbell you left on the other side of the gym 2hrs ago.

If your gym doesn't have a dedicated DL bar you're going to the wrong gym. :lol:

Or I live in a small town with one local gym and do what I can to get it in. I'm not here to brag, but the gym I use allows me to lift some pretty heavy weight, so it works for me :lol:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

My advice to newbies:

Mine doesn't have a deadlift bar or a place to deadlift. I still managed to get in enough quality training to set a world record for deadlift.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

My advice to newbies:

Mine doesn't have a deadlift bar or a place to deadlift. I still managed to get in enough quality training to set a world record for deadlift.

large.gif
  • plm209
    Options
    So the first time you deadlifted was in competition? Impressive.
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love new people. Then I don't look like a newb anymore. I look like this:

gif.gif?w=480&h=267

LOVE THIS! :p
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

tumblr_mfprkgiMu91r21swvo1_400.gif
  • usmcmp
    Options

No, I made it work to deadlift with what was available and worked with the space that was there.
  • SofaKingFunny
    SofaKingFunny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Came here to talk trash...my services weren't needed. Well done, shame on you for deriding someone who is coming back to the gym, or in many cases doing it for the first time. You're EXACTLY the kind of person they dread meeting there.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its attitudes like this that have kept me from ever stepping into a gym. These posts have popped up on every social media site in the past few days and gives the impression that newbies are not welcome at all.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,172 Member
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    Its attitudes like this that have kept me from ever stepping into a gym. These posts have popped up on every social media site in the past few days and gives the impression that newbies are not welcome at all.

You're welcome in any of my classes! I love new faces.
  • plm209
    Options

No, I made it work to deadlift with what was available and worked with the space that was there.

Ah, gotcha. What's your world record?
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    jsummd wrote: »

I'd take your class.

tumblr_m8fv4zB88g1rd95x4o1_250.gif
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Really pisses me off this attitude. Yeah, I cant get on the machines as I normally do but you know what? Change the workout, mix it up. Stop complaining about people with a desire and heart to change and focus on your short-sighted pathetic mindset which needs changing more than anything.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    jsummd wrote: »

thanks but I will stick with my home workouts or wait till the News Year rush has passed ;) ...seriously there are many obese ppl with social anxiety that are intimidated enough as it is to even consider stepping into a gym only to be confronted with these types of attitudes.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

My advice to newbies:

Exactly what I was talking about earlier. There needs to be more people helping one another out, give people some friendly gym rules and then before you know it they're taking as epic selfies as you are.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Ah, gotcha. What's your world record?

That's irrelevant. The point is that you don't have to go to a specific type of gym to get results or to do well. There are bodybuilders who place well and workout at Planet Fitness.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    Not sure OP saw this coming.

tumblr_inline_mxt62anTA21rdnnll.gif

I don't want to make this about me, but to make my point, I will. I used to be one of the newbies. But that was a couple of Octobers ago. I tried to ignore the arrogant haters who disdainfully looked at me like I was a fat guy didn't have any business at the gym. Today, 60 pounds less than I was then, there are still those arrogant douchecanoes who act like they DO own the place and I don't belong. So what? While they are looking at themselves in the mirror, I am achieving new PRs. I pay my dues (figuratively AND literally) and when I take a rest day, I am really excited that the next day, I get to crank up the weights again!

To the gym snobs: "Lift, inspire, or get the hell out of the way!"