Options

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    plm209 wrote: »
    plm209 wrote: »
    No issue having the "resolutioner" crowd in my gym, my issue is when they don't know what they're doing, won't accept advice and don't respect the equipment.

My advice to newbies:
    • Don't take equipment from one area to another unless you're bringing it back in a few minutes. My gym doesn't have a designated DL bar. I take a bar off of a bench and may spend an hour doing different deadlift variations
    • Don't leave your water bottles on benches/machines and leave the gym or start a new exercise. This is the international symbol for "I'm using this and will be right back".
    • Don't hang out on one piece of equipment with your two buddies taking long breaks to talk between sets. I see 'bros' doing this WAY more than 'newbies'
    • Don't be afraid to ask for a spot. I'd rather help you finish your last set than pull that bar off your neck and I'm not judging you for the weight you're lifting.
    • If I'm politely coming up to you suggesting you try a lighter weight when curling and demonstrating a full range of motion, there's probably a reason. I'm 220 lbs and an experienced lifter, there's no reason a 150 lb beginner should be swinging the 45lb dumbbells around while curling. Ask for advice if you don't know how to do something or how a piece of equipment works. I'd actually be flattered to help you out.
    • Don't stand between me and the mirror if possible. I'm not 'mirin', I'm checking my form.
    • Re-rack your weights, I don't want to hunt for that 20lb dumbbell you left on the other side of the gym 2hrs ago.

This should be advice for ALL gym-goers. Not just the new ones.

But yea, this is all okay advice. Not where this thread started though.

If your gym doesn't have a dedicated DL bar you're going to the wrong gym. :lol:

Exactly what I was talking about earlier. There needs to be more people helping one another out, give people some friendly gym rules and then before you know it they're taking as epic selfies as you are.

indoor sunglasses selfie thread?

Can you spot me, bro?
    will-smith-fresh-prince.gif
  • RnS2015
    RnS2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    THIS thread is what keeps more people from going to the gym (and kept me off the blackjack tables). There was a day when it was your 1st time in the gym. If you were met with the attitude that started this thread, how likely would it have been that you would stick with it?
    fdr1yyt2ab5r.jpg

p7ivi60r1x6c.jpg
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-21611-1395036416-2.gif
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    wpid-tumblr_lyexqtmrft1ql5yr7o1_500.gif
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I've never gone to a gym. Too man rules.

We make our own mutha Effin rules.

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

we bring jello and *kitten*
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-11171-1390414625-5.gif
  • Couleesmi
    Couleesmi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. Instead of bitching about them, why not make them feel welcome and greet them. Or even offer advice like how to look cool wearing sunglasses inside.

Yes. I prefer working out in my home because people at the gym seem so cold and judging..
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

we bring jello and *kitten*
    Do work!!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    What's a 'deadlift bar'? Do they serve cocktails there???

if there's a bar then maybe I should consider joining a gym. I do like my cocktails.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can understand why people get frustrated when they have to get to class 20 minutes early to snag a spot or wait 15 minutes to grab a treadmill after work.

That being said, I wouldn't ever take out my frustration on the new people at the gym because the gym itself did not set up an infrastructure to support the amount of members attending (Planet Money did a great podcast of the economics of why this is the case).

If I have to wait a bit in January so that my dues are still low in July, that's okay with me.
  • LucindaGregory1
    LucindaGregory1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    KD454 wrote: »
    Anyone else really hate this time of year?...... where the two week wonders come out out the woodwork crowding you ever so loved fitness space.

Yes
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I can understand why people get frustrated when they have to get to class 20 minutes early to snag a spot or wait 15 minutes to grab a treadmill after work.

That being said, I wouldn't ever take out my frustration on the new people at the gym because the gym itself did not set up an infrastructure to support the amount of members attending (Planet Money did a great podcast of the economics of why this is the case).

If I have to wait a bit in January so that my dues are still low in July, that's okay with me.

That's how I feel. Of course in a perfect world I'd rather not have the gym be unreasonably packed or have to wait for the equipment but I don't blame new people, nor do I feel I am any more entitled to be there than someone who hasn't been there as regularly. We're all paying the same fee which gives members the right to use the equipment, or not to as the case may be.

And like many others have said, we were all new and out of shape once. And who knows, many of us might be new and out of shape again in the future. Of all the things to be condescending about, gym entitlement seems particularly absurd.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Especially since half the people that complain about this type of stuff still look like they could be a noob or someone that has been out of the gym for a while.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    @_incogNEATo_ and myself are too busy F$&*ing SH** UP in the gym to notice other people there!!!!!

140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3.jpg
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Tbonz922 wrote: »
    Never once worried about resolutioner crowding....whether there are 100 people in the gym or 1 I just do my thing. I'm not trying to feel superior over someone based on them being a newbie that probably won't be around in a few weeks.....so what?
    Everybody has to start somewhere. Instead of bitching about them, why not make them feel welcome and greet them. Or even offer advice like how to look cool wearing sunglasses inside.
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    KD454 wrote: »
    Anyone else really hate this time of year?...... where the two week wonders come out out the woodwork crowding you ever so loved fitness space.

yes. i too dislike it when unhealthy people are actually trying to make a positive difference in their lives and get healthy. we should definitely shame them for trying.

7luum7i.gif
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    Not sure OP saw this coming.

tumblr_inline_mxt62anTA21rdnnll.gif

Nail$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No. ;) If the beginning of the year is the push someone needs to get into the gym... props to them. Who am I to tear anybody down for trying?