Options

Replies

• schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    newbies at the weight racks be like

t00njos3ywg5.gif

if your gym doesn't have enough machines it's not really the newbie's fault. it's your gym's.
    Tbonz922 wrote: »
    ^the point is for some that people there for the sake of being there are taking up space

Well I have been an athlete and trainer my whole adult life. If someone in your space throws you off your game then I would suggest to up your game. If your "favorite" machine is occupied, or rack is being taken, you should step out of your comfort zone and figure out what it is that can be done to get your work in. Being able to function when the conditions are not just right goes a long way in developing as a fitness minded individual. Figure it out, and embrace the challenge.

QFT. A good rule of thumb if you have to use an unfamiliar machine is to work out for an equivalent calorie burn. If I can't do my 100 calorie row, I'll just do a 100 calorie treadmill run instead.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    KD454 wrote: »
    Anyone else really hate this time of year?...... where the two week wonders come out out the woodwork crowding you ever so loved fitness space.

Yes

I love honesty <3
  • schibsted750
    Options
    It's not that I wish people wouldn't start exercising at new year's. It's that I wish they would stick with it, so that the market for gyms expands accordingly and we don't have this biblical deluge at the beginning of every year.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's not that I wish people wouldn't start exercising at new year's. It's that I wish they would stick with it, so that the market for gyms expands accordingly and we don't have this biblical deluge at the beginning of every year.

Most of us know what to expect and can plan accordingly.
  • schibsted750
    Options
    yeah, including me
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Especially since half the people that complain about this type of stuff still look like they could be a noob or someone that has been out of the gym for a while.

True.

The dedicated "don't-make-this-into-a-high-school-judgefest" people are hardly ever being snobs at the gym thinkin' they da sh** and they own the place. I don't know what makes the other guys think they can decide on who gets to go to "their" gym.

It's like, aye bruh, ya finna' hit 25% BF huh? Congrats and here's your new badge which gives you the right to judge and decide on who is or isn't allowed to check in here. These cool guys, man. LOL.

• ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Love seeing once "newcomers" reach their goals and progressively gain a better outlook on their lives, more confidence in themselves, and even better when later on they're able to help others.

It's ok to be nice to new people.
  • schibsted750
    Options
    Love seeing once "newcomers" reach their goals and progressively gain a better outlook on their lives, more confidence in themselves, and even better when later on they're able to help others.

yup
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    What's a 'deadlift bar'? Do they serve cocktails there???

if there's a bar then maybe I should consider joining a gym. I do like my cocktails.

I too have questions about the deadlift bar. As much as I wish it had to do with alcohol, I suspect it doesn't. My gym has multiple olympic bars scattered about and you use what's at your station or scrounge from elsewhere. For deadlifting (and bent rows), I've always grabbed one and put it one this rack... rogue-deadlift-bar-jack-h2_1.jpg
    ...thinking that was what was correct. Is there a more specific piece of equipmemt or is a deadlift bar one that would just no leave this station. (No idea why I'm say "station" other than the fact it seemed the most appropriate term...)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Most new people aren't going to use the power rack on Day 1...so I'm good.
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I didn't meet anyone like that at the gym when I started off. It would have broken my spirit and motivation.
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. Many people on this site joined because of the community and because they started out overweight (or whatever there reason was), if you were healthy all your life or for a long period of time, you wouldn't be using this app so don't forget where you started. i am disappointed to see this type of negativity with this post, just my opinion.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    KD454 wrote: »

I love your dedication to this thread! B)
  • BiggieSmallsInc
    BiggieSmallsInc Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    6ar1zy3y2npo.jpeg
  • Radiated_JK
    Radiated_JK Posts: 165 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    People who worry about everyone else in a gym obviously have no focus. In a crowded gym or an empty one my thoughts are about form or the next set. So if you wanna make fun of Noobs, your outlook makes you just that in my opinion. #FOCUS!!!
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Really dude? Wow.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Well, tomorrow will be my first day in a gym in about 8 years. I've committed to a year at the gym and 3 months with a personal trainer, so I definitely won't be fading out after 2 weeks. But I really hope everyone is decent to me and not snobby. It's hard enough being a newbie!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    I like the 3:30-4 a.m. crowd. Everybody's dedicated. Nobody's judging. We're just there to work out. Strong sense of respect at the gym around 4 a.m., and very little bullsplit.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Join an Equinox where most newbies dont bother paying that much, and your gym will be much less crowded.

I don't really mind the new people. I could do with less arrogant power lifters who act like they own the gym, however.