Calling out Lazy is the Lazy answer

Options

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen someone flat out call an OP lazy. It's been my experience that people get on here, complain about x,y, or z, receive truthful and blunt advice about their "problem" and then get butt hurt because they aren't being coddled and given the responses they want to hear.

This. Basically what I posted above, just phrased differently! :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Like to hear some here on how they address the question "I need motivation or need to be motivated".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I generally don't address it. If someone is posting that, IMO they don't have the inner-drive yet to make the changes and anything I say about finding it is going to fall on deaf ears. I try to help people who are ready for help.

Maybe most of the time, but not always. A friend started with a very bleak and discouraged attitude, but I encouraged her just to START and see if the motivation didn't follow, and she's had a lot of success. Sort of like a saying I once heard- "Act yourself into the right way of thinking."

Offline, for a friend I know in real life, it's a different story. I was limiting my response to MFP, but I should have made that distinction.

My reference was actually to an MFP "friend".

Even that situation, to me at least, is different than someone in the forums pleading for someone to give them motivation.

That's where I met this friend! ;) (I'll be quiet now!)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Like to hear some here on how they address the question "I need motivation or need to be motivated".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I generally don't address it. If someone is posting that, IMO they don't have the inner-drive yet to make the changes and anything I say about finding it is going to fall on deaf ears. I try to help people who are ready for help.

Maybe most of the time, but not always. A friend started with a very bleak and discouraged attitude, but I encouraged her just to START and see if the motivation didn't follow, and she's had a lot of success. Sort of like a saying I once heard- "Act yourself into the right way of thinking."

Offline, for a friend I know in real life, it's a different story. I was limiting my response to MFP, but I should have made that distinction.

Even that situation, to me at least, is different than someone in the forums pleading for someone to give them motivation.

That's where I met this friend! ;) (I'll be quiet now!)

That's just a wall I'd rather not bang my head against!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't think that I would call somebody lazy. However, I will at times state that a person is not dedicated or ready to make a change.

I think "Are you sure you're ready to make this type of change?" is the type of pointed question that needs to be asked for someone to have that gut-check moment (pun somewhat intended). I don't think that's dismissive or calling someone lazy.

I this this is a useful question "Are you sure you're ready to make this type of change?"

I think the opinion "You're not ready" is invalidating, and will cut off further dialog if the recipient gets defensive.

I've posted the "you're not ready" thing a few times. And I don't mean it in an invalidating way. It's meant for the reader to see it and think "How am I not ready? What do I need to do to be ready?" It's meant to get the reader to think about the choices they're making and question things further. Perhaps it does cut off dialog. I guess that depends on the OP. But I sure as heck hope that the person reading that statement will begin to question things and search for an answer, whether they truly aren't ready or if they're just pussyfooting around or if they just need to buckledown or whathaveyou.

I think asking "What do you need to do to be ready?" would get someone thinking in the right direction much more easily than "You're not ready".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    More about:

This kind of reminds me of joining in a chat discussion, and seeing other posters complain, "I'm bored; entertain me". This isn't television. It's interactive. You get out of the conversation only what you put in to it. I learned early on when I chatted about real life, even if it was about the cat strolling across my keyboard, the discussion would liven up. We're craving genuine interaction and real life....glued to our keyboards. Ironic, isn't it? So I contribute, and be as real as I can be. Then I get back.

How can I get in the skin of another person who is demotivated, stuck, disinterested? I can't glue my motivation in to their head. They have to dig deep and figure out why they don't want to do what they know they must. It might be a problem of mis-perception, thinking they need to sweat like J-Lo in the third hour of her live concert, or eat grapefruit and cottage cheese the rest of their life. Maybe the person is a solid introvert and is trying to love team sports. Redirect them. Maybe they love their toast and jam. Coach them how they can fit toast and jam in to a slimmer life.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I will say, I don't respond to many of the "I don't have any motivation" threads, and often it depends on the attitude of the poster. If a person strikes me as feeling overwhelmed, that's one thing. But a while back there was a guy bemoaning the fact he needed to lose 100 lbs, but going on and on about how great he felt his life was and didn't really want to change it. I think I may have actually used "You're not ready" in that case.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @rainbowbow - is kindness the same as coddling?
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think the difference is this--some people consider others on the MFP forum strangers who they can get advice from, while others see MFP as more of a community where people can form relationships. I fall more into the first category, but we can all use MFP as we like.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @nadler64
    On one hand I agree, and yet I get really angry with people who ask for help and then proceed to shoot down every helpful response that comes his or her way. They want the easy answer, the magic bullet, and there never is one. I admit I'm not the most sympathetic person, though.

I've seen this too. I saw it yesterday. I think the poster was depressed and frankly could not see the rainbow for the rain. She was poor, shut-in, living off ramen noodles, and didn't see any reason to cook a nice meal just for herself. Again, I try and use Socratic questioning to jolt such people out of their funk. Sometimes it works.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What no on on this thread realizes is all the times I created fake accounts asking for motivation so people would feel okay to toot their own horn about their successes.
    Oh well...
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @nadler64
    On one hand I agree, and yet I get really angry with people who ask for help and then proceed to shoot down every helpful response that comes his or her way. They want the easy answer, the magic bullet, and there never is one. I admit I'm not the most sympathetic person, though.

I've seen this too. I saw it yesterday. I think the poster was depressed and frankly could not see the rainbow for the rain. She was poor, shut-in, living off ramen noodles, and didn't see any reason to cook a nice meal just for herself. Again, I try and use Socratic questioning to jolt such people out of their funk. Sometimes it works.

I will do this, but sometimes it's exhausting to do. Sometimes you really have to be invested in the person. Is that lazy on my part? Maybe, but it also depends on what they give back to you. If they are completely defeatist, and unwilling to budge I normally just drop it and move on.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @lyttlewon, a fine strategy to move on if you don't see any action. One of my favourite quotes:

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.

Henry Ward Beecher

Your input is rattling around in their head. When they are prepared to work it through, they will.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    What no on on this thread realizes is all the times I created fake accounts asking for motivation so people would feel okay to toot their own horn about their successes.
    Oh well...

Next time flash the batsignal first so we know it's you
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I usually tell people to write out a list of whys. Why do you want to lose weight? What do you want to accomplish (physically and mentally) by reaching your goal? Then I tell them to keep the list on them and read it whenever they feel like falling off their plan or skip a workout.

I also think that while motivation is great, determination is the key to succeeding.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I would call somebody lazy. However, I will at times state that a person is not dedicated or ready to make a change.

I think "Are you sure you're ready to make this type of change?" is the type of pointed question that needs to be asked for someone to have that gut-check moment (pun somewhat intended). I don't think that's dismissive or calling someone lazy.

I this this is a useful question "Are you sure you're ready to make this type of change?"

I think the opinion "You're not ready" is invalidating, and will cut off further dialog if the recipient gets defensive.

I've posted the "you're not ready" thing a few times. And I don't mean it in an invalidating way. It's meant for the reader to see it and think "How am I not ready? What do I need to do to be ready?" It's meant to get the reader to think about the choices they're making and question things further. Perhaps it does cut off dialog. I guess that depends on the OP. But I sure as heck hope that the person reading that statement will begin to question things and search for an answer, whether they truly aren't ready or if they're just pussyfooting around or if they just need to buckledown or whathaveyou.

I think asking "What do you need to do to be ready?" would get someone thinking in the right direction much more easily than "You're not ready".

I think that's much more helpful. I think "you're not ready" FEELS pretty much like code for "you're lazy" and "you don't really want this." If someone's here and trying to log, they probably want it.

I have a tough time losing weight. Even at high weights it comes off super slow. Forget plateaus, every week is a plateau. I also have some emotional/addiction issues with food. I don't post "why am I not losing weight" threads because I know why. I turned to that hamburger for solace one day and that turned into 3 days etc etc. Work hard and stay motivated for a month, lose some weight, gain most or all of it back in a week of bad behavior. Then have to start again, a month lost. When I read threads of people similar to me, people will either offer suggestions "just cook your own meals from home!" duh! Like if I had a grip on this I would be doing that already, right? But I don't post. Because I don't need a bunch of people telling me a week of screwing up means I don't "really want it" or "am not ready". I'll never be ready if that's the case.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow - is kindness the same as coddling?

kindness is providing people with information and sharing the knowledge they need to succeed.

Coddling is making it my personal mission to MAKE them succeed.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Did you see my suggestions as somehow forcing success on others, @rainbowbow ?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Did you see my suggestions as somehow forcing success on others, @rainbowbow ?

You're suggesting that providing people the information they need is not enough.

We need to coddle them, ask them pointed questions, help them find their internal motivation and hold their hand. As i stated earlier, once someone has the know-how of what needs to be done to succeed it becomes their CHOICE. Nothing you or I say is going to convince them to take the steps they personally need to succeed. The motivation needed to begin will very quickly come down to dedication they need to continue.

We are not personal counselors and i see nothing wrong with providing people with information and knowledge or personal experience for free. If anything, i see that as kindness. What i think is overstepping is trying to act like their own personal therapist.

edit: you also implied that if we aren't acting as such, we are giving them the "lazy" answer.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @sheermomentum , what does it mean when we say someone is "lazy"? Does such a thing even exist?

For instance, I read a seventeenth century French aristocrat call contemporary peasants "lazy" because all they did was lay in their dirty hovels all winter. I strongly suspect the problem was that these peasants were stuck in a social system where initiative got them nothing but trouble. Or they were starving. Or both.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I think that's much more helpful. I think "you're not ready" FEELS pretty much like code for "you're lazy" and "you don't really want this." If someone's here and trying to log, they probably want it.

I have a tough time losing weight. Even at high weights it comes off super slow. Forget plateaus, every week is a plateau. I also have some emotional/addiction issues with food. I don't post "why am I not losing weight" threads because I know why. I turned to that hamburger for solace one day and that turned into 3 days etc etc. Work hard and stay motivated for a month, lose some weight, gain most or all of it back in a week of bad behavior. Then have to start again, a month lost. When I read threads of people similar to me, people will either offer suggestions "just cook your own meals from home!" duh! Like if I had a grip on this I would be doing that already, right? But I don't post. Because I don't need a bunch of people telling me a week of screwing up means I don't "really want it" or "am not ready". I'll never be ready if that's the case.

This is why it's only used in certain situations. For example, in a thread 5 pages long where the OP refutes any and all advice. Or the OP has 1,001 excuses for not being able to do something. That's when I typically pull out the "you're not ready". Because either they're not ready, or they need to take a deeper look at things and question themselves.