Options
124»

Replies

• hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    I watched every episode, then did Google searches. They left out some important information, which would have fewer people requesting that he be pardoned.

as some of you mentioned upthread, it would've been impossible to present everything that the prosecution is now crying about having been left out...but if you follow all the online discussion about this, and read the articles where they make their case about the things that were glossed over by the documentary, i don't see where any of it is anywhere near as important as the stuff that they DID include in the film.

there's a lot of post-game damage control being done here.

that said, i come away from all of this feeling like society isn't exactly suffering from the loss of the contributions of Steven Avery because of his incarceration...but there are just too many giant WTF moments that are cataloged, summarily, by the facts presented by the film. i also don't hear any of the apologists for Manitowoc refuting or calling any of the facts presented by the film into question...only saying they were presented in a manner sympathetic to the defendant.

Here's the one thing I can't seem to figure out...help me out, fans.

Assuming he didn't kill Halbach, and that the body and/or personal effects were planted on the Avery property, how on earth did they know in advance that there'd be a bonfire on Halloween night that would both "destroy the body" (shady notion, in that the heat generated by the bonfire would not have reached the necessary temperature to incinerate human remains to that effect) and her personal effects (purse and cellphone) that were found in the barrel in the vicinity of the bonfire?

The timing of the fire, in conjunction with the timing of Avery's arrest and the timing of Colburn's call to dispatch to run the plates of Halbach's RAV-4 (on November 3rd, two days before it was found on the Avery property), is all pretty puzzling to me.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I said I really only wanted to know if Brendan got to see WrestleMania, but... is no one else going to mention the fact that Steven Avery didn't even OWN underwear?
  • hamptontom
    Options
    I said I really only wanted to know if Brendan got to see WrestleMania, but... is no one else going to mention the fact that Steven Avery didn't even OWN underwear?

there's a lot about that guy and his family that just plains creeps me the f&(k out, to be certain. folks like to think that you only encounter those types below the Mason-Dixon line, but it's not really a north/south thing.

and i think that they earned their sordid reputation in the local community, too, for sure...all the stuff reported in the first episode of the series is just a primer.

but - stupid redneck tricks aside - it's still gotta be one of the sloppiest attempts to put somebody away ever. all witch-hunt and no investigation.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I listened to it all the way through on two days that I worked from home, not really watching it but it was background noise. It was hard to stay focused on work and not sit and binge watch. Now, I have begun watching it and am through the 5th episode. I'm not sure whether he is guilty or not but I am amazed that the jury didn't find reasonable doubt. Where is there enough hard evidence to say without any reasonable doubt that he did this and did it in the manner described? It's scary to me that a justice system could be so flawed.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    the one thing i have learned...or should i say, has been reinforced...by this whole thing is a life lesson that we'd all benefit from:

don't read the comments.

if you happen to see an article come up in your news feed about the series or the trial, don't read the comments.

• Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched the whole thing yet but my mom had it on this weekend while she was over and giving me bits and pieces.
    She told me that Brenden was interviewed illegally since they didnt have parental consent and also he didn't have counsel present.
    Then shouldn't that interviee have been thrown away??? Shouldn't that have not been allowed to be used in court??

There is another documentary on netflix (can't remember the name) about a man who served 20 yrs in jail for being accused of killing his wife. He didn't do it and it took 20 yrs for them to prove it. The judge who presided over his case actually got jail time. That is justice served.
  • hamptontom
    Options

FYI - the White House can't do anything regarding this case due to jurisdiction. It was tried at a state level, so the only person who could potentially intervene with pardon authority is Scott Walker...and that just ain't gonna happen.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    the documentary is basically one sided, favoring Steven Avery, because the prosecution/state didn't want to be a part of the documentary.

I have been sort of following this case for years but after watching the show I was truly sickened! I don't know if I believe 100% Avery is innocent, but the state didn't prove beyond doubt that he was guilty (even with their planted evidence) so he should be free right now.

I think the police found her car somewhere with her dead body inside, knew she was scheduled to be at the averys before her disappearance, so they brought her car to the lot and planted whatever evidence they could to make sure STEVEN was the one blamed, basically to save their own *kitten* (and money).

This is what I think too. Someone else killed her and the deputies planted the evidence.

I don't think that Avery is a great guy, but there are just SO many doubts that it is shocking that he was convicted.
  • feleciag09
    feleciag09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I live here in Manitowoc, watched the documentary, seen all the protest, read hrs worth of court dockets and more. The documentary is good but once I was done reading I wanted to know more and more lol. A new Doc is coming soon I heard.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    This documentary made me cry with rage.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    To label this a "documentary" is funny