A question for 1200 calories per day consumers

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Would hell freeze over if we went one day with throwing a b**ch-fit over how many calories people eat? You think you care about their health? You don't or you would have been this persistently aggressive about how bad obesity is for a person. Get off your high horse and get to the gym.

I love you!:drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for another 1200 thread...bring it!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For someone who says 1200 is there "number".... feel free to post here or message me your details (age/height/weight/sex/how much you do cardio/lift/how busy your job is) and lets see what the score really is :o))

When I started I weighed 150. I'm a 5'4 f and I'm about to turn 43. I have a very inactive job and didn't work out. My TDEE was 1680 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. That brought me to 1180.

My mom lost weight a couple of years ago. She was 70 at the time, 4'11 and was unable to exercise. I'm sure hers was probably low also since she only weighed about 130ish at the time.

Incorrect. If you're subtracting 20% from 1680, you should be consuming 1344 calories a day. You should not be eating under 1200 a day.

1680 x .20 = 336, thus 1680-336 = 1,344.

bahahahaha ..whoops..epic fail on basic math....! Exposed...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I find it quite entertaining that some people, like PepperWorm, get so upset that people choose to eat a certain number of calories per day.

In my opinion, 1200 calories of clean eating is far better than an 1800 calorie diet that includes a lot of crap!

I eat 1350 calories a day. I eat clean. I get all my nutrients. I am always satisfied. I'm losing fat!

do you pressure clean your food, or put it in laundry? I prefer pressure wash clean eating method...
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    For someone who says 1200 is there "number".... feel free to post here or message me your details (age/height/weight/sex/how much you do cardio/lift/how busy your job is) and lets see what the score really is :o))

When I started I weighed 150. I'm a 5'4 f and I'm about to turn 43. I have a very inactive job and didn't work out. My TDEE was 1680 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. That brought me to 1180.

My mom lost weight a couple of years ago. She was 70 at the time, 4'11 and was unable to exercise. I'm sure hers was probably low also since she only weighed about 130ish at the time.

Incorrect. If you're subtracting 20% from 1680, you should be consuming 1344 calories a day. You should not be eating under 1200 a day.

Incorrect. As bolded, she stated she wanted to lose 1 pound per week. That means a 500 calorie deficit. the 20% plan would only give her a 336 calorie deficit.
    There is no rule that says everyone HAS to do the TDEE-20% plan.

MFP is set up to create a 500 calorie deficit per pound/week loss, and figures your calorie goal based off of that, but will not give you less than 1200 as a goal. This is to cover their butt. I mean seriously, is 20 calories a day really that big of a deal??

The TDEE-20% plan was introduced by a member who read about it on another fitness site. It is NOT how MFP was set up to work. But people can choose to do whatever they want to on here, and shouldn't be getting any grief over it.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Hi this would be cool, thanks-
    am 33yrs old, 5ft 2in, 128lbs, am a nurse so on my feet alot of the time. intermittently exercise 3 x a week, bits of cario and 30DS type exercise (currently have a rubbish knee after my chin up bar fell down!)
    MFP =1200, other calculators have come up with a similar number.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I didn't say I was using the TDEE method, I said I wanted to lose 1 lb per week.

Then why mention your TDEE at all?

You'd still lose a pound a week by the calculations I just gave.

Wrong again. You must have a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound a week. NOT 336 calories.
    And you must know your TDEE to create a deficit, no matter which plan you use.
    Either TDEE minus a percentage, or TDEE minus a set deficit amount, i.e.500 cal.
  • CarleyJo89
    CarleyJo89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone getting aggressive about this?

I eat between 1100 - 1300 a day and i'm not hungry. When I am hungry, I will eat something else! I'm fairly active and aim to run 4 times a week and this is enough calories for me to live and not be hungry and I tend to maintain the same weight.

I eat this amount because its what i'm comfortable with, If I ate more i'd feel sick, if I ate less i'd be hungry.

It really is that simple......
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I find it quite entertaining that some people, like PepperWorm, get so upset that people choose to eat a certain number of calories per day.

In my opinion, 1200 calories of clean eating is far better than an 1800 calorie diet that includes a lot of crap!

I eat 1350 calories a day. I eat clean. I get all my nutrients. I am always satisfied. I'm losing fat!

BIngo! and why do people who have over 50 lbs to lose think they are the experts at what other people should do? very puzzling indeed

:laugh: :drinker:

*eyeroll*

Obviously you didn't read what I said.

I'm not an advocate of below 1200 calorie diets. 1200 net is perfectly acceptable, too, if you're at a certain activity level/body weight.

Oh, and poking fun at the amount of weight I have to lose? Real smooth, buddy.

You do you and I'll do me. Don't be a douche.

Pot meet kettle.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Please don't judge my diary when I'm happy with mine.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    What's crazy about the direction of this thread is:

1. I never gave any advice (I didn't say eat more or less)
    2. I definitely specified that calculators take into consideration weight, height, age, and activity level so the arguments of "I'm over 40, I can't exercise, I'm short" don't really apply
    3.I don't have over 50lbs to lose, I have less than 15 now

Honestly, I'm not on a high horse or pointing fingers. It was a real question about WHY people choose the calorie goals they have. I didn't say that anyone was going to fail or that what they're doing doesn't work.

You can ask why I care over and over again; the reality is this is a public forum where people come to ask questions and get answers.

You could have done a search on the forums and have found 100s of threads on this very subject, giving you the 'answers' you say you wanted. You also should have figured out by now that this is a very volatile topic and immediately creates drama and arguments.

Every day, at least one person cannot resist the urge to create a thread like this, just to stir the pot and get some attention.
    Then it brings out even more arrogant individuals who insist they know better than you, how your body works.

After almost a year of seeing this trend, it really has gotten old.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Please don't judge my diary when I'm happy with mine
    I think you just summed up the counterpoint to the arguments against how I lost most of my weight. It worked, I am healthy and I am happy with it.
    So if you eat 1200 you are netting 800 calories? As I stated that I was speaking about people who exercise but still only eat 1200 calories. As i'll admit I used to net 1200 calories and for me obviously that was far too low but for some people that's all they need, however I do not believe that by running 2.8 miles every day you only need 800 calories
    Exactly! I ate less than I needed.And how did my body respond to that? It went through a bunch of my stored fat, because I had more than enough to provide for the deficit. It was not as efficient about it as I hoped and I did lose some lean mass, but the vast majority was fat. My point in debating this topic is that this is a reasonable choice that someone with a significant amount of fat to lose can make. TDEE - 20% is fine; TDEE - 500 * (pounds per week goal) is fine. Any deficit is fine as long as you meet the simple conditions - get enough nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) and have adequate fat stores to cover the deficit at the rate they release (31.4 calories per day per pound of fat). The bigger the deficit the faster you will lose but it will be harder to stay on it and you have a bigger adjustment at the end. Those warnings are very legitimate and it is not for everyone. But saying it is bad and doomed to failure is just plain wrong, IMO. It also appears to me that common sense and science agree with that.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing what MFP recommended. And that is 1200.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I feel so bad for people eating 1200 calories, I eat over double that and I'm losing around 1.5-2lb a week yet I still sometimes feel hungry. Not talking about those netting 1200 but those who eat 1200 or less without being exceptionally small or thin plus exercise on top of that are kidding themselves if they say they aren't hungry.

You are an 18 (?) year old boy. Of COURSE you should be eating well over 2000 cals per day. No need to feel bad for those of us who need much less.
    It is all relative. For example-

Last night we had pizza. I was completely stuffed on 2 large slices. My 45 yo hubby was full on 3 slices. The 15 yo boy eating with us easily threw down 4 slices and wanted more.

Some people just don't understand the vast differences there can be in caloric needs.

BTW, I am almost 50, and 1200-1300 a day is perfectly fine for me at my activity level. There are times when I want something more simply because it looks good, but I haven't felt real hunger in quite some time. So I am not kidding myself. I just eat better food now than I used to eat.

Just realized the irony of that last statement, given that I ate pizza last night. lol. It was actually the first time in almost a year that we had ordered pizza hut. I generally stay away from breads, as my body does better without it.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    mfp gave me 1200 when i started this journey and i wasn't losing any weight i boosted my cals to 1440 ish and i lost regularly!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I ate less than I needed.And how did my body respond to that? It went through a bunch of my stored fat, because I had more than enough to provide for the deficit. ..... But saying it is bad and doomed to failure is just plain wrong, IMO. It also appears to me that common sense and science agree with that.

+1

I happen to be reading http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724112/ in another tab, where half of the older obese folks were put on a 600 calorie / day diet deficit and both groups did 1 hr a day * 5 days/week of exercise at 65% VO2max (400 - 500 calories) for 12 weeks. Let's say a daily deficit of 600 cals in the exercise only (EX) and 960 cals for the exercise + calorie deficit group (EX-HYPO). No eating back calories of course.

Result ?

Greater weight loss in the hypocaloric group (−7.7 ± 0.5 vs. −3.3 ± 0.7%, P < 0.001)

Greater fat loss too −14.9 ± 4.1% FM, P < 0.01 vs. eucaloric or in mass terms 1.9kg of fat loss vs 5.1 kg. FFM loss 1.9 vs 1.7 kg.

So the added calorie deficit of eating less looked to be quite productive in addition to the prescribed exercise. At 3500 cals/lb the EX+HYPO group had a daily loss equivalent to 615 calories and the exercise only group 294 calories.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for people eating 1200 calories, I eat over double that and I'm losing around 1.5-2lb a week yet I still sometimes feel hungry. Not talking about those netting 1200 but those who eat 1200 or less without being exceptionally small or thin plus exercise on top of that are kidding themselves if they say they aren't hungry.

You are an 18 (?) year old boy. Of COURSE you should be eating well over 2000 cals per day. No need to feel bad for those of us who need much less.
    It is all relative. For example-

Last night we had pizza. I was completely stuffed on 2 large slices. My 45 yo hubby was full on 3 slices. The 15 yo boy eating with us easily threw down 4 slices and wanted more.

Some people just don't understand the vast differences there can be in caloric needs.

BTW, I am almost 50, and 1200-1300 a day is perfectly fine for me at my activity level. There are times when I want something more simply because it looks good, but I haven't felt real hunger in quite some time. So I am not kidding myself. I just eat better food now than I used to eat.

Just realized the irony of that last statement, given that I ate pizza last night. lol. It was actually the first time in almost a year that we had ordered pizza hut. I generally stay away from breads, as my body does better without it.

I could have written this ^^ DebbieLynn, including this week ordering pizza for the first time in 6 + months and enjoying 2 big slices and being very full :). (I generally stay away from breads, etc, as me too, I've discovered my body does better without).

I too have not felt real hunger since changing my eating style, whereas previously I was eating a LOT more and yet I felt ALWAYS starving.

So please don't feel sorry for me on my 1200/day ~ it fits me and my lifestyle and I'm totally satisfied and happy with my success.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    [When I started I weighed 150. I'm a 5'4 f and I'm about to turn 43. I have a very inactive job and didn't work out. My TDEE was 1680 and I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. That brought me to 1180.

Same. But I am even older and menopause completely and totally kicked my butt the b*tch she is. My next hurdle is exercise. Need to. Can't make myself. Got to. Will...
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I am interested too LOL - 51 years old, 209 lbs, netting at 1600 kcals and maintaining - but would like to lose 1 lbs per week. Inactive job but 2 - 3 times at the gym for 1 hour
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I ate less than I needed.And how did my body respond to that? It went through a bunch of my stored fat, because I had more than enough to provide for the deficit. It was not as efficient about it as I hoped and I did lose some lean mass, but the vast majority was fat. My point in debating this topic is that this is a reasonable choice that someone with a significant amount of fat to lose can make. TDEE - 20% is fine; TDEE - 500 * (pounds per week goal) is fine. Any deficit is fine as long as you meet the simple conditions - get enough nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) and have adequate fat stores to cover the deficit at the rate they release (31.4 calories per day per pound of fat). The bigger the deficit the faster you will lose but it will be harder to stay on it and you have a bigger adjustment at the end. Those warnings are very legitimate and it is not for everyone. But saying it is bad and doomed to failure is just plain wrong, IMO. It also appears to me that common sense and science agree with that.

QFT! *claps hands and nods head*