Is it safe to run outside when it's dark?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love to run early in the morning! I have several routes depending on how many miles I am up for. Traffic is very light and I enjoy a urban or city run downtown. I always face traffic and try to find some detours through college campuses where security is a bit more prevalent. At 5:00 AM I feel like most of the crazy people are in bed. Do wear reflective clothing (LED lights even better). I wear headphones at low volume (Moto Flex HD bluetooth) they don't seal the ear so I can hear traffic with them on. Early AM is the only way to go in the summer heat too.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Boxing987 wrote: »
    women prob wouldnt feel as safe running at night

I run all the time at night, and feel perfectly safe. But I pay attention to my surroundings, don't run with earphones, and someone knows where I am and when to expect me. Same as during the day. :smile:

I use the Glympse app to let my husband know where I am when I'm out running/biking/hiking alone. It lets him see me location on a map for up to four hours, and then automatically expires. I highly recommend it for anyone running/biking alone, no matter your gender.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a running flashlight that straps to my hand. Has a steady or strobe light on the front and a flashing red light on the back. I also carry pepper spray. More for the coyotes than humans. I only run on busy city streets. Cars are the real danger for me. I have strobes on my shoes, one on my back and reflective bands. I joke planes are gong to land nearby because they'll confuse me with the airport.

I run the bike trails during the day. Would never do it by myself at night. Too isolated. Too dark. Pretty sure at least a dozen Criminal Minds episodes start with the woman running alone on the deserted trail at night. :trollface:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    As always, it depends on where you're running.

I often run at night. I run on a run/bike trail so only need to think about cars at the couple of places where I need to cross a road. I also don't worry about visibility because between the street lights and house lights I can a good distance away. The bicyclists all use lamps (traveling too fast for lower-light conditions) so I know they can see me. Plus, I do have the standard reflective gear.

My two concerns would be:

1) Injuring myself far from home - not many people out as late as I sometimes run. My nearest non-911 help would be a good 30min away (I live alone, no friends close by). I decided I could accept this.

2) Random whack-jobs. Based on stats for my area, it's highly unlikely there'd be a purposeful robber or rapist lurking on the trail I use. There's a trail that runs through downtown that seems to attract all of those problems. On the other hand, just this year there was a guy who had a mental breakdown, and killed two random people with an axe (a bicyclist and a walker, I think). It was on a trail connected to the one I use, ~8 miles north of where I run. This kind of thing I figure can happen anywhere at anytime. No reason to be more concerned about it while running than when shopping.
    stealthq wrote: »
    As always, it depends on where you're running.

I often run at night. I run on a run/bike trail so only need to think about cars at the couple of places where I need to cross a road. I also don't worry about visibility because between the street lights and house lights I can a good distance away. The bicyclists all use lamps (traveling too fast for lower-light conditions) so I know they can see me. Plus, I do have the standard reflective gear.

My two concerns would be:

1) Injuring myself far from home - not many people out as late as I sometimes run. My nearest non-911 help would be a good 30min away (I live alone, no friends close by). I decided I could accept this.

2) Random whack-jobs. Based on stats for my area, it's highly unlikely there'd be a purposeful robber or rapist lurking on the trail I use. There's a trail that runs through downtown that seems to attract all of those problems. On the other hand, just this year there was a guy who had a mental breakdown, and killed two random people with an axe (a bicyclist and a walker, I think). It was on a trail connected to the one I use, ~8 miles north of where I run. This kind of thing I figure can happen anywhere at anytime. No reason to be more concerned about it while running than when shopping.

So......you're saying we should stop shopping too?

I think it's fairly obvious I'm saying that particular risk is present if you choose to live amongst other people, regardless of what you are doing.

If you don't think the risk significant enough to concern you during the day with more people (potential risks) around, it makes no sense to suddenly be concerned because it's night and you're alone.

If those kinds of risks do concern you, take the same measures you do during the day and go on about your business.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    I wish my dog would go back to running with me again. Tried the other day and ended up walking back while carrying the lazy bum.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Only if you have a gun. I assume in another year you can get a concealed carry permit?

Why not pepper spray?

That's actually a great idea until she gets old enough to carry some real firepower.

But why not something non-lethal like pepper spray?

Because pepper spray isn't effective on everyone. 125grains of jacketed hollowpoint at 1450fps is.

Not if you get grabbed from behind. Ain't nobody got time to get out a gun, get off the safety, aim, and shoot in that scenario.

Honestly, the only reason I don't run in the dark is because whenever you hear about bodies being found it almost always says 'was discovered by a dog walker' or 'was discovered by a jogger'. I'd rather not have a run-in with a dead body (not that anyone has ever been murdered where I live, as it's a cute little English village). Though I wouldn't consider it during term-time when I'm at uni, just because the city I go to uni in has lots of chavs.

Then you're training is deficient. Aim? At that range there is no aiming. Safety?
    image_zps901d175d.png

Don't get me wrong, Eric Bana was bad *kitten* in this movie and this scene was great, but Jason Isaacs was f'n awesome. I told my cousins that he was Draco Malfoy's dad and they were like, "shut up stupid." LOL.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm 20 years old and I want to start running, and early in the morning is the most convenient time for me. I live in a relatively safe area, and would be sticking to roads with street lights. The idea of running alone in the dark makes me feel a little bit nervous though. I'm guessing listening to music would probably be a bit of a no-no?

Thoughts? :)

Sorry if I sound like an a**hole lady, but....two women are two safe women, statistics prove that a woman alone is 90% more prone to be attacked in the dark, can you find a running partner? I am living now in a gated community and my country is relatively safe, also I don't know why but at a certain age you just feel safer. I don't know where you live but consider this: you will always pass the same spots and corners focused on your running rather than in your surroundings, a rotten son of a b**** could set you for days, so, I discourage you of running solitaire at the dark, plus that danger (sorry again), but as you're beautiful and attractive, an attacker might feel entitled to pursue you or non attackers and guys in general gonna hit on you...at night let alone several guys on a truck, sorry this is the screwed up world we live in....be safe ma'am.

Oh one more thing, it is better to lift weights in the morning and run at evenings, after 4:00 PM, if I live in an area where sun goes down at 7:00 PM I'd be so happy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I wish my dog would go back to running with me again. Tried the other day and ended up walking back while carrying the lazy bum.

I tried getting my neighbor's Shih Tzu to walk with me but ended up carrying her and spending more time brushing tangles out than I did walking, so gave that up.