Do you keep peanut butter in the house?

Options

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I love my peanut butter, I buy it in half kilo tubs.
    Depriving myself of food or drink I enjoy isn't enjoyable or sustainable for me.

Think ahead to maintenance - are you going to avoid it for life or learn moderate/control your intake?

Not keeping something in the house is not the same as not eating it/avoiding it. You may, for example, keep it in the house on occasion or in small quantities or eat it while not at home or pick it up in a single serving size - and yes, it can realistically be kept up for life depending on the circumstances. I've kept boxes of Little Debbie snack cakes out of my house for the last 9 months, yet I've eaten cake/cupcakes/snack cakes in the last 9 months. Environmental control can be enormously useful and is nothing to sneer at.

I always have peanut butter around. I like the real, full-fat, fresh-ground stuff. I tried PB2 once, and it was awful, but other people love it. I personally do fine with peanut butter, but I've heard of it being an issue for people many, many times.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love pb, in fact, I'm eating it with an apple right now. It's my fave snack. The only ingredient in my pb is peanuts...that's it. Healthy. Every time I run out, I go to the grocery store and pick up more.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    yeah just measure it and log it and it's like any other food. Tare your scale with the bread or banana or whatever you're putting the peanut butter on, and then add the peanut butter.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to eat things directly from their container. Just never appealed to me to grab a spoon and maow from the jar.

Now my roommate in university used to eat mascarpone cheese out of the container with a spoon and drink nestle quik chocolate syrup right out of the bottle in front of the tv. The bugger was skinny as a rake too. But it was a disgusting habit lol.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    PB is a huge trigger food for me. Have not had it since starting MFP on 1 Nov. Can't imagine trying to weigh it... won't deal with it for a while. We have it in our 'breakfast' cupboard but I pretend I don't know it is there. lol.
    I have managed to substitute it with tahini though without any serious repercussions.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have creamy and crunchy PB (JIF, my favorite brand).

I usually don't consume a full serving of PB at a time, more like 5-15 grams (as opposed to 32g). That might be more difficult if I ate PB&J sandwiches, but I usually use PB more as an add-in to oatmeal, yogurt, ice cream, protein shakes, etc. A fraction of a serving generally does the trick for my purposes.

I keep PB+chocolate flavored things around like Reese's mini PB cups which are only around 40 calories and satisfy the craving well for me. (Of course I'd like to eat more than 1 or 2 cups, but weighing that desire against the calorie cost, the desire more often than not fizzles out; and really 3-4 cups or more doesn't taste any better than 1-2 cups do).
    I don't have PB ice cream around at the moment, but 1/2 up to a full serving amount of any of the many varieties of PB-themed ice cream flavors can satisfy that craving for not too high of a calorie cost, either.

I also have several brands of protein bars that are PB+Chocolate flavored (Zone Perfect, Pure Protein, and Premier Protein), and they are really tasty and have very good PB flavor (esp the Zone and Premier Protein brands).

I did try PB2 and found it tasteless when mixed as directed (with water), but mixed with a little sugar-free maple syrup or milk it was better and a decent substitute if you want a greater quantity of PB for a lot less calories. Next time I'll be trying a different brand, though. And a PB flavored protein powder is on my shopping list as well.

As for trigger foods, that was a thing for me only when I had some kind of "forbidden fruit" psychology going on about that food. Eating "some" when you've told yourself for some reason that you should only be eating "none" is a recipe for "eat as much as you can now, it's now or never." Treat PB like you would treat second helpings of meatloaf or another banana or anything else, like sure, having more would be a nice way to kill some time, but you can always have more tomorrow, it's not going anywhere.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My trigger foods aren't specific foods and not sweets (rarely crave sweets). For me, somewhat unfortunately, my trigger foods are real food! Potatoes, bread, cheese, chicken, gravy, whatever. All foods are yummy. I can't very well empty my whole kitchen, lol! :p
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Cashew or almond milk, PB2, shaved unsweet chocolate, 1oz hwc... blend until frothy and thick. I'm pretty sure they serve that in Heaven.
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like PB but I am happy to eat it in moderation, lotus biscuit spread on the other hand, I can eat that stuff with a spoon from the jar so I don't buy it very often.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I like PB but I am happy to eat it in moderation, lotus biscuit spread on the other hand, I can eat that stuff with a spoon from the jar so I don't buy it very often.

Best. username. ever.

And I love peanut butter, but as long as I'm not drunk I do fine with moderation. If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of drinking over a given period, I don't buy peanut butter, cookies, candy, ice cream, or other food that has a real risk of drunk me going all cookie-monster on its *kitten*.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If I were going to be stranded on a deserted island and could only have one food with me............it would be peanut butter. But...........I have learned to only eat 1 TBS a day of the good stuff, usually on toast, but if I don't have toast for breakfast I will eat it right out of the jar as a snack......but only after I measure it!!!!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Yes but I can't remember the last time I ate it. I like it but there are other foods I'd rather have.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a bit of a trigger food for me. Have any PB lovers out there found success in eating this in moderation? What's your technique? Or have you found it is best to just keep it away?

Is all PB a trigger or only the sweet stuff like jif, Peter Pan, etc.? I always have PB with me either at home or work. There have been times where I'll take spoon full of the sweet stuff (my family's PB) but I use the natural PB which has less sugar and I only eat it for its intended purpose.

• joel1222
    joel1222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Due to my girlfriend being allergic, no we don't! Honestly, since I can't have it due to the risk, I don't even care anymore.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I'm licking on a spoonful of jif right now.
    (Duly weighed at a serving of 32 grams and logged)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I usually keep at least 1 jar of a nut butter in the apartment. I don't think any kind of lingering snackiness/hunger would be satisfied by eating a whole jar. Ice cream and chips, though, I tend to buy in smaller volumes. I find it easier to buy an amount I plan on being able to finish soon after the packaging gets opened.
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes! My husband uses it in his post workout protein shake. He is naturally thin and uses it to help himself gain weight. He's gone from 130 to 150 with heavy lift and high calorie protein shakes. He has trouble gaining weight (poor guy
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only food I ever would have called a "trigger food" was chips and dip, and I would only buy them when I was completely ok with going totally overboard. Lately I bought some and made it last for several days, so I feel like I'm getting that under control.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    No way! Big trigger.
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Always, my husband eats it regularly. I'm not a big fan myself but that may be because I can't eat wheat. Although I have been known to eat a spoonful when I'm tired and hungry.