There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to black and white about this? All food is good. All of it.

Unless it has mold growing on it, or smells like something died. Or fell on the floor and is now covered in dog fur.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Why do people have to black and white about this? All food is good. All of it.

Unless it has mold growing on it, or smells like something died. Or fell on the floor and is now covered in dog fur.

what about 10 second rule?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    you guys are making me laugh. honestly if i was on a desert island with cottage cheese, celery, avocados, olives. i would eat the sand. ha

mmm minerals

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    So come on, admit it folks, there are 'bad' foods.

I have no problem admitting it. I call foods good and bad all the time. Bad, crap, junk. I've never had anyone IRL ask we what I meant by those terms. They know. We all know.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I have no problem admitting it. I call foods good and bad all the time. Bad, crap, junk. I've never had anyone IRL ask we what I meant by those terms. They know. We all know.

Only on MFP have I encountered the militant phenomenon of "no food is bad". I think it's whacky thinking. Not determining that some foods are bad is how I got into this predicament to begin with. And if I have a prayer of maintaining my loss, I have to continue thinking that some foods are bad for me.

Are there obese people that gained their weight via vegetables? I've never met one.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »

Only on MFP have I encountered the militant phenomenon of "no food is bad". I think it's whacky thinking. Not determining that some foods are bad is how I got into this predicament to begin with. And if I have a prayer of maintaining my loss, I have to continue thinking that some foods are bad for me.

Are there obese people that gained their weight via vegetables? I've never met one.

I don't typically quiz the obese people I meet on how they gained their weight. How would I know?

That said, if someone eats vegetables as part of a diet that exceeds their energy consumption they will gain weight. If I burn 2,000 calories a day and eat 2,200, it isn't like my body is turning specific foods to fat. I gain weight because my total energy consumption is less than what I'm eating. It isn't like the vegetables are "free" foods. It's all contributing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I gained weight with smoothies. Why? because i was eating/drinking more calories than i was burning.
    I still eat cheeseburgers, and cake, and other "junk" foods. I just eat within my calorie allotment
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Are there obese people that gained their weight via vegetables? I've never met one

I don't think some foods are bad for me, but I do think there are plenty of foods which I consider not to be worth it to me. There are frequently times when I wish to eat something and decide that it would just be too much work to make that item fit into my day. Or that if I ate it now, I'd end up starving later because I'd be out of calories. That doesn't make the food bad. It just makes it a food that I don't waste my calories on.

As for obese people getting fat on vegetables... Ten pounds a year is only 100 calories a day above maintenance. You do that for decades and yes...there are people who just eat too much in general. Not necessarily that they ate too much junk. My husband and I used to split everything 50/50. That's how I got fat.

Splitting 50/50 with my OH was how I got fat + matching him alcohol wise

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options

It would be pretty difficult to gain weight eating only vegetables, I think. I've never met anyone that did that. But it is not hard to gain weight eating a lot of vegetables or a lot of foods normally deemed healthy.

I don't eat a lot of bad foods (my definition - chips, candy, ice cream, pastries, premade meals/foods, processed meats, most fast food).

I gained weight eating mostly whole natural foods, much of it organic. My problem is fat, specifically the ultra-healthy extra virgin olive oil. Olive oil is a 'good food' IMO, but I can easily overeat it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Thank you. And there is nothing saying you can't eat bad/crap/junk foods occasionally and be perfectly healthy from a nutritional and weight perspective.

Knowing what they are and control of one's input of bad/crap foods is the key.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It would be pretty difficult to gain weight eating only vegetables, I think. I've never met anyone that did that. But it is not hard to gain weight eating a lot of vegetables or a lot of foods normally deemed healthy.

I don't eat a lot of bad foods (my definition - chips, candy, ice cream, pastries, premade meals/foods, processed meats, most fast food).

I gained weight eating mostly whole natural foods, much of it organic. My problem is fat, specifically the ultra-healthy extra virgin olive oil. Olive oil is a 'good food' IMO, but I can easily overeat it.

and yet. A study found 29% of vegans in a sample pop. are overweight or obese...

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/6/1267/T1.expansion.html

• CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could be so naive as to say there are no bad foods. Seriously? Maybe we have different ideas of what "bad" means, but I thought we could all agree that artificial sweetners and processed meats that cause cancer are "bad".
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could be so naive as to say there are bad foods.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could be so naive as to say there are no bad foods. Seriously? Maybe we have different ideas of what "bad" means, but I thought we could all agree that artificial sweetners and processed meats that cause cancer are "bad".

Wow, indeed!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm always interested in these types of threads which comments are acknowledged and which aren't. The OP seems to want nothing to do with my contributions in favor of arguing with others and we've covered the cancer meats pretty heavily already. Going around in circles.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

and yet. A study found 29% of vegans in a sample pop. are overweight or obese...

Vegans do eat more than just vegetables.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I don't typically quiz the obese people I meet on how they gained their weight. How would I know?

That said, if someone eats vegetables as part of a diet that exceeds their energy consumption they will gain weight. If I burn 2,000 calories a day and eat 2,200, it isn't like my body is turning specific foods to fat. I gain weight because my total energy consumption is less than what I'm eating. It isn't like the vegetables are "free" foods. It's all contributing.

Speak to a doctor or nutritionist about the food log of their obese patients. I doubt they would respond any of the logs they reviewed would show the patient got to that state eating too many fruits ir vegetables.

Too many Cokes cakes, chips, Cookies coupled with too little activity will be the cause.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But vegans don't eat ONLY vegetables. As I've often seen pointed out on MFP, Oreos are vegan.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Speak to a doctor or nutritionist about the food log of their obese patients. I doubt they would respond any of the logs they reviewed would show the patient got to that state eating too many fruits ir vegetables.

Too many Cokes cakes, chips, Cookies coupled with too little activity will be the cause.

No it won't be. Consuming too many calories was the cause. acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could be so naive as to say there are bad foods.

LOL And I feel the exact opposite.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that anyone could be so naive as to say there are not bad foods.