Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    This is an interesting study

http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/

Nutrition is personal. A high degree of variability exists in the responses of different people to the same food.

The collected observations further revealed both an individual’s responses to the same food were reproducible, and that there exists a high levels of variability in the responses of different individuals to the same foods. The researchers found that the food associated with an individual’s highest glucose response varied greatly between individuals. Foods that induced a “healthy” response in one individual might induce an “unhealthy” response in another. In a particularly compelling figure, the researchers showed an example where two participants had opposite responses to cookies and bananas

I don't feel this study really makes a case why normal blood sugar fluctuations following meals are unhealthy in and of themselves, particularly as their illustrated levels look well within established post-meal guidelines. The R-value correlations with obesity and H1CA levels, never mind actual disease, are unconvincing in establishing a causal effect. Thus labeling the fluctuations in blood glucose "healthy" and "unhealthy" seems a long stretch here.

I recognize instantly that the author's choice of an open journal (Cell) was not coincidental; their writing includes a certain amount of informality that indicates they anticipated and expected a broader audience. Given the press around the Israeli microbiome studies, I'm not surprised. However, they are walking a dangerous line by weaving speculations into the results section. While it makes a 'better read' its poor practice in science writing.

You just keep making this a better place. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/

Nutrition is personal. A high degree of variability exists in the responses of different people to the same food.

The collected observations further revealed both an individual’s responses to the same food were reproducible, and that there exists a high levels of variability in the responses of different individuals to the same foods. The researchers found that the food associated with an individual’s highest glucose response varied greatly between individuals. Foods that induced a “healthy” response in one individual might induce an “unhealthy” response in another. In a particularly compelling figure, the researchers showed an example where two participants had opposite responses to cookies and bananas

I don't feel this study really makes a case why normal blood sugar fluctuations following meals are unhealthy in and of themselves, particularly as their illustrated levels look well within established post-meal guidelines. The R-value correlations with obesity and H1CA levels, never mind actual disease, are unconvincing in establishing a causal effect. Thus labeling the fluctuations in blood glucose "healthy" and "unhealthy" seems a long stretch here.

I recognize instantly that the author's choice of an open journal (Cell) was not coincidental; their writing includes a certain amount of informality that indicates they anticipated and expected a broader audience. Given the press around the Israeli microbiome studies, I'm not surprised. However, they are walking a dangerous line by weaving speculations into the results section. While it makes a 'better read' its poor practice in science writing.

Always enjoy reading your input (sincere, not sarcasm!)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Always enjoy reading your input (sincere, not sarcasm!)

Ditto on the sincerity.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

When applying this study to those that don't have defective genes for glucose metabolism (diabetes genes) in the first place, I can understand your point. But for those that do have these genes, an unusually high surge after meals is problematic.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree. I just found it interesting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

When applying this study to those that don't have defective genes for glucose metabolism (diabetes genes) in the first place, I can understand your point. But for those that do have these genes, an unusually high surge after meals is problematic.

pretty sure nothing in this thread is about anyone with a medical condition ….

we understand that some people may need to avoid insulin spikes due to medical condition, but every single post on this board does not need that disclaimer.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    When I see a thread that exploded in a short span of time, I like to read the first page, then jump to the last page to see how far things have derailed. In this case, I got a cat eating a banana gif. Win!

1476523_10156989615885377_6843063273195627373_n.jpg?oh=704527baf9738c1d28fec7631d6df765&oe=570A4823
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

we understand that some people may need to avoid insulin spikes due to medical condition, but every single post on this board does not need that disclaimer.
    I don't know if you read that study, but there were prediabetics included in it. So if we are going to discuss it, that must be taken into account.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    __Wolf__ wrote: »
    Ldcota wrote: »
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    The UK Government has just labelled ALL processed meats, including bacon and sausages as being dangerous to health [cancer causing] so how can they not be bad?

When did that happen? I must have totally missed it and I do read the Daily Fail. Surely it would have been a headline?

There is increasing scientific evidence that eating cured meats can significantly increase your risk for cancer.

Statistically significantly. Not necessarily significantly. The effect size is negligible, I believe.

Here is what I read: "50g portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk for colorectal cancer by about 18%, and that 100 g of red meat could increase the risk for colorectal cancer by 18%."

One's risk of colon cancer is 5% before eating daily processed meats. If you raise that by 18% it brings you to a 6% risk. It is a small increase that some are going to risk.

On my phone, can someone post a "Shut up and take my money" meme here
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't know if you read that study, but there were prediabetics included in it. So if we are going to discuss it, that must be taken into account.

yes, and we are all aware of the point you are making ..
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

In the study, yes. In this thread, no.
  • tomteboda
    Options
    1. Pre-diabetes means "you are at risk for getting diabetes". It is not itself a disease state. It also isn't a very good predictor of disease state (15%-30% of people will develop diabetes? that means somewhere between 70-85% won't).
    2. I haven't seen anything convincing that any and all blood glucose spikes in response to eating are bad for anyone. Not even diabetics. Only excessively high spikes ( >180 mg/dL)
    3. In diabetics, insulin response is borked, so you frequently see unmodulated spikes of >300 mg/dL right after meals.
    4. None of the data in this study as released suggested the individuals studied were having massive blood sugar spikes; they were all well within the 180 mg/dL recommendation.
    5. Redefining "bad" blood sugar spikes as those above 115 (which the article doesn't do but the press release does through graphs) requires a quite a bit of justification, which is entirely lacking.

Strike the Spike - Diabetes Self-Management
    Checking Your Blood Glucose - American Diabetes Association
    Management of Hyperglycemia in Type2 Diabetes - A Patient Centered Approach (Diabetes Care 2012)
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options
    1. Pre-diabetes means "you are at risk for getting diabetes". It is not itself a disease state. It also isn't a very good predictor of disease state (15%-30% of people will develop diabetes? that means somewhere between 70-85% won't).
    2. I haven't seen anything convincing that any and all blood glucose spikes in response to eating are bad for anyone. Not even diabetics. Only excessively high spikes ( >180 mg/dL)
    3. In diabetics, insulin response is borked, so you frequently see unmodulated spikes of >300 mg/dL right after meals.
    4. None of the data in this study as released suggested the individuals studied were having massive blood sugar spikes; they were all well within the 180 mg/dL recommendation.
    5. Redefining "bad" blood sugar spikes as those above 115 (which the article doesn't do but the press release does through graphs) requires a quite a bit of justification, which is entirely lacking.

Strike the Spike - Diabetes Self-Management
    Checking Your Blood Glucose - American Diabetes Association
    Management of Hyperglycemia in Type2 Diabetes - A Patient Centered Approach (Diabetes Care 2012)

*mic drop*
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

There are other medical conditions that do better when insulin is kept low or stable as well. So, yeah, studies about insulin are generally of interest to people dealing with a medical condition.
  • tomteboda
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not going to say that science won't indicate stricter control on blood sugar is good, and that in 20 years they'll recommend keeping spikes under a lower number. Only that there is no strong evidence at this time supporting such strict blood sugar control as this study claims to have achieved.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The UK Government has just labelled ALL processed meats, including bacon and sausages as being dangerous to health [cancer causing] so how can they not be bad?

When did that happen? I must have totally missed it and I do read the Daily Fail. Surely it would have been a headline?

There is increasing scientific evidence that eating cured meats can significantly increase your risk for cancer.

Statistically significantly. Not necessarily significantly. The effect size is negligible, I believe.

Here is what I read: "50g portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk for colorectal cancer by about 18%, and that 100 g of red meat could increase the risk for colorectal cancer by 18%."

One's risk of colon cancer is 5% before eating daily processed meats. If you raise that by 18% it brings you to a 6% risk. It is a small increase that some are going to risk.

Making all kindz of gainz, anabolic and alcoholic.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

l7n9kkomyvx6.gif