There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do I need to go back to page 7 and read from where I left off or can I assume I know how this went

Highlights reel anyone ?

There was some interesting talk, imo, about the nature of words and how we talk about things somewhere around page 17. But no one wanted to talk about that. Mostly it's the same old arguments again and again just like every other thread like this.

For what it's worth, I fully appreciated what you had to say there. I just didn't feel I could said anything to make it better. :)

Well...except the m&m up dad's nose. And I don't think that story really got the love it deserved.
    Oh well.

That story was hilarious! Thanks for adding it. It's been an odd thread, but at least we'll always have the M&Ms up your dad's nose. :drinker:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Banana plants walk

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    alstin2015 wrote: »
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

What specific ones are you interested in an opinion on?

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

Do you have the same reaction to this as you do to the above?

fabtoxphpgnk.png

Goal posts officially moved. The second example has zero added chemicals, right?

Oh please. You were the one who called me naive in this thread yesterday. Do you really believe that this post hasn't moved away from the original goal posts 18 times by now? The poster I was replying to indicated that a long list of ingredients which they have no knowledge of is cause for concern to them. They also indicated very early on in this thread that there are bad foods for everyone and that long-ingredient-list-mystery-food is an example of one. If you think that it's moving the goal posts to inquire whether or not they have the same reaction to natural food lists, then you're not reading the same thread I am.
    If someone can look at the ingredient list from that food item above and then look at the individual components that make of a banana and not think any differently about them, wow. This is stuff I think understood when I was a kid. But apparently, it's such a difficult concept for some to grasp.

What are the specific ingredients on the long list that bother you? Perhaps we can discuss them individually. I didn't read through them since the point seemed to be that a long list of chemical names (even if one just refers to baking soda) are inherently bad and scary, and I don't think that's true (although I also just don't happen to run into labels like that).

Those asserting that we should be worried about chemicals should be able to identify the chemicals that concern them. Because there is a huge range of knowledge and some people might not recognize baking soda and find it scary, whereas others might recognize and understand all the things listed and not find any of them scary.

If it's a pot pie, I probably wouldn't buy it, though, because I don't generally eat premade frozen foods (and would be less likely to eat premade frozen pot pie). That's about taste and personal preference, though, not "bad food" or any assumption that something with a long list of ingredients can't be part of a healthy diet.
    Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, hydrogenated cottonseed, yellow 5, red 40, corn syrup solids, dough conditioner, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, and bleached wheat flour, at least.

I'd agree on the transfats (apparently frozen pies are one of the few remaining sources). I don't have a developed opinion on the various dyes -- if they were in more stuff that I wanted to eat, I'd likely research them. Yellow 5 and red 40 don't strike me as a big deal, with that disclaimer, and the possibility that I could change my mind. Fully hydrogenated oils aren't the same as transfats--it seems one issue with them is that they are basically like sat fat (see http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/hydrogenated-oils), and on MFP lots of the same people into how "bad" various foods are will swear up and down that unlimited sat fat is a positive good. That said, I watch sat fat, so wouldn't choose to eat lots of it (but the label will say how much is there). I also generally do avoid highly processed oils--so for me the other oils would also be negatives. Corn syrup solid is basically like HFCS, I think, which I don't think is much different from sugar (the negative effect is that it's used in so much stuff, because cheap and easy to use, so overconsumed. I don't eat it, but that's more a political thing and not a nutrition thing, plus it's never in anything I think tastes that great. I don't care about flour being bleached or dough conditioner.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The first ever president of Zimbabwe was called Canaan Banana. He had jokes about his name banned.

#googlemojo
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do I need to go back to page 7 and read from where I left off or can I assume I know how this went

Highlights reel anyone ?

There was some interesting talk, imo, about the nature of words and how we talk about things somewhere around page 17. But no one wanted to talk about that. Mostly it's the same old arguments again and again just like every other thread like this.

For what it's worth, I fully appreciated what you had to say there. I just didn't feel I could said anything to make it better. :)

Well...except the m&m up dad's nose. And I don't think that story really got the love it deserved.
    Oh well.

I loved the story!!

Highlights reel anyone ?

Oh well.

That story was hilarious! Thanks for adding it. It's been an odd thread, but at least we'll always have the M&Ms up your dad's nose. :drinker:

shy-bashful-o_zpsbcc05d70.gif
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    fyoung1111 wrote: »
    Unplanned food is almost always bad almost no matter what it is. Face it. Unplanned food is very rarely steamed broccoli.

I had an unplanned bowl of tomato soup and an unplanned clementine the other day...

I've had lots of unplanned clementines lately.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting study

http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/

Nutrition is personal. A high degree of variability exists in the responses of different people to the same food.

The collected observations further revealed both an individual’s responses to the same food were reproducible, and that there exists a high levels of variability in the responses of different individuals to the same foods. The researchers found that the food associated with an individual’s highest glucose response varied greatly between individuals. Foods that induced a “healthy” response in one individual might induce an “unhealthy” response in another. In a particularly compelling figure, the researchers showed an example where two participants had opposite responses to cookies and bananas
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

fabtoxphpgnk.png

Goal posts officially moved. The second example has zero added chemicals, right?

Oh please. You were the one who called me naive in this thread yesterday. Do you really believe that this post hasn't moved away from the original goal posts 18 times by now? The poster I was replying to indicated that a long list of ingredients which they have no knowledge of is cause for concern to them. They also indicated very early on in this thread that there are bad foods for everyone and that long-ingredient-list-mystery-food is an example of one. If you think that it's moving the goal posts to inquire whether or not they have the same reaction to natural food lists, then you're not reading the same thread I am.
    If someone can look at the ingredient list from that food item above and then look at the individual components that make of a banana and not think any differently about them, wow. This is stuff I think understood when I was a kid. But apparently, it's such a difficult concept for some to grasp.

What are the specific ingredients on the long list that bother you? Perhaps we can discuss them individually. I didn't read through them since the point seemed to be that a long list of chemical names (even if one just refers to baking soda) are inherently bad and scary, and I don't think that's true (although I also just don't happen to run into labels like that).

Those asserting that we should be worried about chemicals should be able to identify the chemicals that concern them. Because there is a huge range of knowledge and some people might not recognize baking soda and find it scary, whereas others might recognize and understand all the things listed and not find any of them scary.

If it's a pot pie, I probably wouldn't buy it, though, because I don't generally eat premade frozen foods (and would be less likely to eat premade frozen pot pie). That's about taste and personal preference, though, not "bad food" or any assumption that something with a long list of ingredients can't be part of a healthy diet.

I dont want to discuss them individually my friend. i would just rather not eat a food i need an encyclopedia to decipher

So you start by saying that foods with added chemicals are bad.
    Then when pressed on which chemicals make them bad and why, it changes to "I just don't want to eat things with ingredients I don't recognize and I don't want to learn what those ingredients are, either."
    K.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Unplanned food is almost always bad almost no matter what it is. Face it. Unplanned food is very rarely steamed broccoli.

I had an unplanned bowl of tomato soup and an unplanned clementine the other day...

I've had lots of unplanned clementines lately.

I'm unplanning one right now.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

fabtoxphpgnk.png

I dont want to discuss them individually my friend. i would just rather not eat a food i need an encyclopedia to decipher

So you start by saying that foods with added chemicals are bad.
    Then when pressed on which chemicals make them bad and why, it changes to "I just don't want to eat things with ingredients I don't recognize and I don't want to learn what those ingredients are, either."
    K.

This is the equivalent of burying your head in the sand.

• lemurcat12
    Options

fabtoxphpgnk.png

So don't, but there are much shorter lists with chemical names on them too (that's what I tend to see). So my question is am I supposed to be worried about them because "chemical names, someone might not know what they are!" too? Or would it be more reasonable to look at what they are and make decisions based on that as to whether I think it is worth avoiding or not?

Now, like I said above, I mostly don't run into this issue because most things I buy are pretty whole or have simple ingredient lists (which again is more about lifestyle choices and personal preferences than being worried that most of the chemicals in our foods are toxic). So I would not be critical at all if you were just to say that you'd rather eat mostly whole foods. But you seem to be arguing that this is inherently healthier, no matter what, including no matter what the chemicals at issue are and how knowledgeable someone is about them. That's what I think is wrong.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I am currently eating a banana AND slyly showing off my fish tank (even though some of the plants need tending) simultaneously!!

7n81sdgvym29.jpeg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That adds a new twist to the OPs argument. But still a fail. Almost all of my food is unplanned. I don't pre-log or preset menus. Especially for breakfast/lunch, I have no idea what I'm going to eat until I walk into the kitchen and open the refrigerator. Sometimes it ends up being chicken breast and broccoli, sometimes it ends up being a bowl of cereal, greek yogurt, eggs & toast or whatever.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    2tCqk6jqX047e.gif

kitteh and a banana, double win!

If2Owjc.gif
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    When I see a thread that exploded in a short span of time, I like to read the first page, then jump to the last page to see how far things have derailed. In this case, I got a cat eating a banana gif. Win!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Nobody clicks links to read and educate themselves so I shouldn't even bother, but here's a research review which examines the body's hormonal responses to a fast food meal (Big Mac, fries and root beer sweetened with HFCS) vs. two nutritionally equivalent "healthy" organic, whole grain, etc. home-cooked meals.

For those who won't bother to click links, the spoiler was that the hormonal response to all three meals was nearly identical. Blood glucose, insulin response, fatty acid/triglyceride levels, leptin/ghrelin, HDL and total cholesterol - all nearly identical.

The reviewer's summary:
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

But even unplanned food can be a blessing! Have you tried ketosis?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you have a rare medical condition that causes you to react to histamine and biogenic amines then a chicken breast in a restaurant is unfortunately very different from cooked at home. You need to purchase the chicken as fresh as possible cook immediately or freeze. Chicken at a restaurant has built up too much histamine. It's very difficult in those circumstances to eat at a restaurant. I have a mast cell disorder from being wrongly prescribed a med that injured me. My doctor thinks I will recover eventually. I just went vegetarian to avoid this issue. At restaurants I stick to a very simple salad. For now. Hopefully I will recover. This is unusual and rare. Most people wouldn't be dealing with this. I was just explaining how it can be different in a rare circumstance.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    This is an interesting study

http://news.meta.com/2015/11/19/cell-nutrition-is-personal-identical-foods-produce-healthy-and-unhealthy-responses-in-different-individuals/

Nutrition is personal. A high degree of variability exists in the responses of different people to the same food.

The collected observations further revealed both an individual’s responses to the same food were reproducible, and that there exists a high levels of variability in the responses of different individuals to the same foods. The researchers found that the food associated with an individual’s highest glucose response varied greatly between individuals. Foods that induced a “healthy” response in one individual might induce an “unhealthy” response in another. In a particularly compelling figure, the researchers showed an example where two participants had opposite responses to cookies and bananas

I don't feel this study really makes a case why normal blood sugar fluctuations following meals are unhealthy in and of themselves, particularly as their illustrated levels look well within established post-meal guidelines. The R-value correlations with obesity and H1CA levels, never mind actual disease, are unconvincing in establishing a causal effect. Thus labeling the fluctuations in blood glucose "healthy" and "unhealthy" seems a long stretch here.

I recognize instantly that the author's choice of an open journal (Cell) was not coincidental; their writing includes a certain amount of informality that indicates they anticipated and expected a broader audience. Given the press around the Israeli microbiome studies, I'm not surprised. However, they are walking a dangerous line by weaving speculations into the results section. While it makes a 'better read' its poor practice in science writing.