There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    alstin2015 wrote: »
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

Did you know baking soda is a chemical additive? It's "real" name is sodium bicarbonate. Chemists reference it as as NaHCO3. Table salt is really sodium chloride, and its a food additive. Baking powder is 30% sodium bicarbonate, 5-12% monocalcium phosphate, and 21-26% sodium aluminium sulfate.

When I add eggs to a recipe, I'm really after an emulsifier and utilizing a lecithin in the eggs for this purpose. I could use lecithin from soy or sunflowers or another source, but eggs are cheap and readily available. If I was running a large baking operation, though, I might want to use another source because they are more stable over time, and often have fewer allergy problems for some people.

If I make a yeast-raised bread (leavened), then I need to add sugar. Not for "sweetness" but because the yeast are living microorganisms. They eat the sugar, then fart out carbon dioxide, giving me little bubbles of "air" in my bread that makes it fluffy. (That'd be Saccharomyces cerevisiae in my bread, by the way, the yeast; although some breads are made with Clostridium perfringens. Sourdough utilizes latobacillicus. )

People with gluten intolerance wind up adding a lot of other things like xantham gum to their food to get thickening. You might use corn starch or flour for the same purpose. Agar, Carageenan, Pectin, Locus Bean Gum, Gelatin, Alginic Acid (and all its derivatives, like sodium alginate) are all thickening "additives" that are from plants. Why are these things "bad"?

@tomteboda I just wanted to say I always enjoy your posts!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ok. So nobody has any objections at all whatsoever to chemical additives in food?

What specific ones are you interested in an opinion on?

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

Do you have the same reaction to this as you do to the above?

fabtoxphpgnk.png

Goal posts officially moved. The second example has zero added chemicals, right?

Oh please. You were the one who called me naive in this thread yesterday. Do you really believe that this post hasn't moved away from the original goal posts 18 times by now? The poster I was replying to indicated that a long list of ingredients which they have no knowledge of is cause for concern to them. They also indicated very early on in this thread that there are bad foods for everyone and that long-ingredient-list-mystery-food is an example of one. If you think that it's moving the goal posts to inquire whether or not they have the same reaction to natural food lists, then you're not reading the same thread I am.
    If someone can look at the ingredient list from that food item above and then look at the individual components that make of a banana and not think any differently about them, wow. This is stuff I think understood when I was a kid. But apparently, it's such a difficult concept for some to grasp.

What are the specific ingredients on the long list that bother you? Perhaps we can discuss them individually. I didn't read through them since the point seemed to be that a long list of chemical names (even if one just refers to baking soda) are inherently bad and scary, and I don't think that's true (although I also just don't happen to run into labels like that).

Those asserting that we should be worried about chemicals should be able to identify the chemicals that concern them. Because there is a huge range of knowledge and some people might not recognize baking soda and find it scary, whereas others might recognize and understand all the things listed and not find any of them scary.

If it's a pot pie, I probably wouldn't buy it, though, because I don't generally eat premade frozen foods (and would be less likely to eat premade frozen pot pie). That's about taste and personal preference, though, not "bad food" or any assumption that something with a long list of ingredients can't be part of a healthy diet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do I need to go back to page 7 and read from where I left off or can I assume I know how this went

Highlights reel anyone ?

Food additives that have been researched extensively before being approved for the market are not okay because you can never know 100% certain that there aren't bad effects to them.

But bananas are 100% fine because they haven't killed us all yet.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »

Did you know baking soda is a chemical additive? It's "real" name is sodium bicarbonate. Chemists reference it as as NaHCO3. Table salt is really sodium chloride, and its a food additive. Baking powder is 30% sodium bicarbonate, 5-12% monocalcium phosphate, and 21-26% sodium aluminium sulfate.

When I add eggs to a recipe, I'm really after an emulsifier and utilizing a lecithin in the eggs for this purpose. I could use lecithin from soy or sunflowers or another source, but eggs are cheap and readily available. If I was running a large baking operation, though, I might want to use another source because they are more stable over time, and often have fewer allergy problems for some people.

If I make a yeast-raised bread (leavened), then I need to add sugar. Not for "sweetness" but because the yeast are living microorganisms. They eat the sugar, then fart out carbon dioxide, giving me little bubbles of "air" in my bread that makes it fluffy. (That'd be Saccharomyces cerevisiae in my bread, by the way, the yeast; although some breads are made with Clostridium perfringens. Sourdough utilizes latobacillicus. )

People with gluten intolerance wind up adding a lot of other things like xantham gum to their food to get thickening. You might use corn starch or flour for the same purpose. Agar, Carageenan, Pectin, Locus Bean Gum, Gelatin, Alginic Acid (and all its derivatives, like sodium alginate) are all thickening "additives" that are from plants. Why are these things "bad"?

I like this post so much.

We had a thread here once where someone claimed that Sodium Bicarbonate was a deadly toxin in KFC because it's used to strip paint (soda blasting). She and her family avoided all products that included it. Those were good times around here.

That's in my Top Five all time threads.

Mine too!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Do I need to go back to page 7 and read from where I left off or can I assume I know how this went

Highlights reel anyone ?

Subjectivity regarding whether a food is "good or bad"
    Long discussion about pizza
    Obligatory post with ingredient list containing scary chemicals
    Follow up obligatory post with banana infographic and all the chemicals in it

I think that should catch you up.

Don't forget the McDonald's isn't real beef because it cooks too fast argument. I think we're getting close to a chemical bingo.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    BTW. a good friend of mine gets dizzy / loses consciousness when he eats bananas. No one knows why.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Unplanned food is almost always bad almost no matter what it is. Face it. Unplanned food is very rarely steamed broccoli.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Highlights reel anyone ?

Highlights, there are people in here with one of two beliefs about whether foods can be labelled as concretely good or bad, or whether they cannot be labeled that way without taking dosage or context into account. Neither side has changed the view of the other side, and most likely never will. That should catch you up lol
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I bought a Kit Kat as I left my therapist's office yesterday. And it was king sized. #noregrets
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

no specific ones. when you see something like this. do you give it a second thought?

“Chicken Stock, Carrots, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Milk Solids, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Beef Extract, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor]), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Chicken Stock, Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides With Citric Acid to Protect Flavor, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.”

No. And I've been pretty open in this thread about my previous experiences and why I don't label foods as good/bad.

fabtoxphpgnk.png

Goal posts officially moved. The second example has zero added chemicals, right?

Oh please. You were the one who called me naive in this thread yesterday. Do you really believe that this post hasn't moved away from the original goal posts 18 times by now? The poster I was replying to indicated that a long list of ingredients which they have no knowledge of is cause for concern to them. They also indicated very early on in this thread that there are bad foods for everyone and that long-ingredient-list-mystery-food is an example of one. If you think that it's moving the goal posts to inquire whether or not they have the same reaction to natural food lists, then you're not reading the same thread I am.
    If someone can look at the ingredient list from that food item above and then look at the individual components that make of a banana and not think any differently about them, wow. This is stuff I think understood when I was a kid. But apparently, it's such a difficult concept for some to grasp.

What are the specific ingredients on the long list that bother you? Perhaps we can discuss them individually. I didn't read through them since the point seemed to be that a long list of chemical names (even if one just refers to baking soda) are inherently bad and scary, and I don't think that's true (although I also just don't happen to run into labels like that).

Those asserting that we should be worried about chemicals should be able to identify the chemicals that concern them. Because there is a huge range of knowledge and some people might not recognize baking soda and find it scary, whereas others might recognize and understand all the things listed and not find any of them scary.

If it's a pot pie, I probably wouldn't buy it, though, because I don't generally eat premade frozen foods (and would be less likely to eat premade frozen pot pie). That's about taste and personal preference, though, not "bad food" or any assumption that something with a long list of ingredients can't be part of a healthy diet.

Give him and hour or so he can google the list and try to find some negative blog article about it on the web...
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had some unplanned chicken the other day. (Leftover roasted chicken, probably "good food" under the normal definition of those who use the term for nutritional purposes, which I do not.)

It wasn't a good choice, though -- I didn't need to be eating anything, which is why it wasn't planned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I liked page 17 :)

Thanks for the ketchup catch-up

In for bananas
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »

I eat 'bad' foods occasionally under the premise that 'a little bit of what you fancy does you good' and the fact that they stop me feeling deprived and becoming a self-righteous martyr.

I love the "self-righteous martyr." The weight loss and fitness personality that others despise. It has taken me a round or so to figure out that I should shut my mouth. No matter my size, I am faulty and don't have a right to judge.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    This thread has me reading about the history of bananas, now, because I wanted to know when the modern varieties appeared (early 1800s). Now I could use some banana pudding and Nilla wafers. I might plan to fit some in my day later this week.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This thread has me reading about the history of bananas, now, because I wanted to know when the modern varieties appeared (early 1800s). Now I could use some banana pudding and Nilla wafers. I might plan to fit some in my day later this week.

Don't forget, bananas are slightly radioactive, so you should take that into account.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

fabtoxphpgnk.png

Partially hydrogenated soybean oil, hydrogenated cottonseed, yellow 5, red 40, corn syrup solids, dough conditioner, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, and bleached wheat flour, at least.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    well, if im not sure whats in it, id rather not eat it. call me crazy, but i like knowing whats in my food without having to research it

Do you know what's in an apple? What causes some people to be allergic to peanuts? I bet you a lot of money, if peanuts weren't a "natural" food, people would petition for them to be banned.

They are banned in many schools and day cares. If you mean the chemical makeup of an apple, no I do not know it. If you mean what ingredients are in it, yes - apple.

uv05q611cy5p.jpg
    egg.jpg 20.3K
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Highlights reel anyone ?

There was some interesting talk, imo, about the nature of words and how we talk about things somewhere around page 17. But no one wanted to talk about that. Mostly it's the same old arguments again and again just like every other thread like this.

For what it's worth, I fully appreciated what you had to say there. I just didn't feel I could said anything to make it better. :)

Well...except the m&m up dad's nose. And I don't think that story really got the love it deserved.
    Oh well.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    fyoung1111 wrote: »
    Unplanned food is almost always bad almost no matter what it is. Face it. Unplanned food is very rarely steamed broccoli.

I had an unplanned bowl of tomato soup and an unplanned clementine the other day...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Highlights reel anyone ?

There was some interesting talk, imo, about the nature of words and how we talk about things somewhere around page 17. But no one wanted to talk about that. Mostly it's the same old arguments again and again just like every other thread like this.

For what it's worth, I fully appreciated what you had to say there. I just didn't feel I could said anything to make it better. :)

Well...except the m&m up dad's nose. And I don't think that story really got the love it deserved.
    Oh well.

I loved the story!!