ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Weightloss businesses such as Weightwatchers and Slimming World have no problem defining some foods as 'bad' - Slimming World by categorising some calorie dense foods as 'syns' [sin = bad]. The new Weightwatchers plan by penalising the dieter by upping the points on foods they deem undesirable [bad]. I am sure both these organisations employ qualified nutritionists.

And want you to purchase their products.

Totally missed the point!

No I didn't. They label things as "bad" so you feel guilty for eating it, and instead buy their product. You only feel bad because you're told to. I eat pizza and I love it, I don't feel bad about it. I eat a candybar and I love it, I don't feel bad about it. I eat fried chicken and I love it, I don't feel bad about it.

I felt bad when I OVERINDULGED on those (and any other) things. Not the food, the act.

Well for me its the other way around. I eat pizza and chocolate - they are bad foods to me but I don't feel bad about eating them - my choice.

what is bad about pizza? It has protein, fat, and carbs….three essential macronutrients...

I never get the 'pizza is bad' thing. If you take the ingredients individually, it's a balanced, rounded meal. Bread, meat, veg, some cheese...

But make the bread round and the rest of the food on top of it and all of a sudden it's satan. I don't get it.
    I personally don't think pizza (made from an authentic place that uses minimal ingredients or homemade) is a bad food. That being said, and I guess this is where the whole 'moderation' thing comes in, generally speaking more bread is consumed when people eat pizza than when eating the components individually. In other words, a normal sized homemade pizza I make contains close to 2 cups of flour. This means that 4 slices has nearly 1 cup of flour, which would be equivalent to 4-5 slices of bread. Based on carb counts and the thickness of the crust, I think it's fair to say that in general, a large and certainly an XL commercial pizza would contain at least as much flour.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I know that with CICO I could spend all or most of my daily calories on foods like full fat cheeses, cakes, pastries, biscuits [cookies], ice cream, deep fried chips [fries], sausages, fatty meat and still lose weight but at what cost to my health?

You seem to think that fat is bad for you. There is no science showing this.

When it comes to nutritional science, more people need to actually READ the science, rather than taking what their government tell them at face value. Government policy is written by lobbyists, not scientists.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weightloss businesses such as Weightwatchers and Slimming World have no problem defining some foods as 'bad' - Slimming World by categorising some calorie dense foods as 'syns' [sin = bad]. The new Weightwatchers plan by penalising the dieter by upping the points on foods they deem undesirable [bad]. I am sure both these organisations employ qualified nutritionists.

No I didn't. They label things as "bad" so you feel guilty for eating it, and instead buy their product. You only feel bad because you're told to. I eat pizza and I love it, I don't feel bad about it. I eat a candybar and I love it, I don't feel bad about it. I eat fried chicken and I love it, I don't feel bad about it.

I felt bad when I OVERINDULGED on those (and any other) things. Not the food, the act.

Well for me its the other way around. I eat pizza and chocolate - they are bad foods to me but I don't feel bad about eating them - my choice.

what is bad about pizza? It has protein, fat, and carbs….three essential macronutrients...

I never get the 'pizza is bad' thing. If you take the ingredients individually, it's a balanced, rounded meal. Bread, meat, veg, some cheese...

But make the bread round and the rest of the food on top of it and all of a sudden it's satan. I don't get it.
    I personally don't think pizza (made from an authentic place that uses minimal ingredients or homemade) is a bad food. That being said, and I guess this is where the whole 'moderation' thing comes in, generally speaking more bread is consumed when people eat pizza than when eating the components individually. In other words, a normal sized homemade pizza I make contains close to 2 cups of flour. This means that 4 slices has nearly 1 cup of flour, which would be equivalent to 4-5 slices of bread. Based on carb counts and the thickness of the crust, I think it's fair to say that in general, a large and certainly an XL commercial pizza would contain at least as much flour.

What is wrong with flour or carbs for that matter? Unless you have issues with gluten.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    A random thought. I decided to try a protein smoothie recipe. It was nice, but it wasn't worth the 400 calories it had, predominantly from nutrient rich sources. At the end of the day when wished I had saved more calories for sunflower seeds I instantly regretted the smoothie, not the twix bar I had earlier, because I spent calories on something that wasn't filling and wasn't amazing enough to justify the calories. I ended up going over my allowance. I wished I had half the portion. That was my bad food for the day because it had a bad effect on my diet.

I understand what most people mean by bad food, but that doesn't mean I agree with the label because I feel it's arbitrary and polarizing. Potatoes are good, make them into potato chips, they suddenly turn into junk. Is it because of the oil? Then how come when oil is added to salad it doesn't instantly turn it into junk? It's not an on and off switch, it's a spectrum that depends on several factors which make a certain food better for a certain individual in a certain situation. Those jelly beans you consider junk may be the best fuel of choice for a long distance runner and that pop tart may be what helps a certain person adhere to their healthy diet.
    I've seen a lot of articles from people on the Internet who say vegetable oils aren't that healthy. If someone were to dump a good dose of corn oil on top of their salad, then by that reasoning the salad isn't so healthy anymore.

Well, ya know what Abe Lincoln said...

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations"? :wink:
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What is wrong with flour or carbs for that matter? Unless you have issues with gluten.
    Nothing, which is why I don't think pizza is inherently a bad food. I was just pointing out though why I think it gets the reputation it has because often people eat more of it at one time than they would the individual components.
    BTW, is that a wood-fire oven you have?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Nothing, which is why I don't think pizza is inherently a bad food. I was just pointing out though why I think it gets the reputation it has because often people eat more of it at one time than they would the individual components.

This

px4xwwspzor6.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

But some pizza is bad? I think Dominoes is really bad! Just sayin' ;)
    I'm pretty okay with most chain pizzas outside of Little Caesars and Pizza Patron tbh.

• ForecasterJason
    Options

This

px4xwwspzor6.jpg
    Ok. I bet that must really be tasty, as I would imagine the charcoal does give the pizza a different flavor than from a conventional oven. A friend of mine is building his own pizza oven, and it'll be nice to taste that pizza once he finishes with it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what makes a pizza from say, dominos, bad?

why is homemade good and not homemade bad?
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2016
    Options

While I wouldn't put it in the worst category, I'd consider dominoes to be more bad than good from an overall nutritional standpoint. The dough has several ingredients added as either preservatives or conditioners that would not be found even in certain authentic pizza places. If you're getting, say, a plain cheese pizza or pepperoni, the pizza is essentially fairly low in micros. So, I'd say the combination of being a low nutrient dense food coupled with extra "stuff" added to it that don't belong in authentic pizza would make it more of a bad food than good.

By contrast, my homemade pizza is made from freshly ground whole grain flour. Additionally, much of the flour sits in a sourdough starter, which makes the micronutrients more absorbable. This means my pizza dough is dramatically higher inn micros than dominoes, and it is essentially a good source of numerous minerals and a few vitamins. Also, there are aren't any dough conditioners and preservatives added to my pizza. All of that put together makes my pizza a good food, IMO.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    A random thought. I decided to try a protein smoothie recipe. It was nice, but it wasn't worth the 400 calories it had, predominantly from nutrient rich sources. At the end of the day when wished I had saved more calories for sunflower seeds I instantly regretted the smoothie, not the twix bar I had earlier, because I spent calories on something that wasn't filling and wasn't amazing enough to justify the calories. I ended up going over my allowance. I wished I had half the portion. That was my bad food for the day because it had a bad effect on my diet.

I understand what most people mean by bad food, but that doesn't mean I agree with the label because I feel it's arbitrary and polarizing. Potatoes are good, make them into potato chips, they suddenly turn into junk. Is it because of the oil? Then how come when oil is added to salad it doesn't instantly turn it into junk? It's not an on and off switch, it's a spectrum that depends on several factors which make a certain food better for a certain individual in a certain situation. Those jelly beans you consider junk may be the best fuel of choice for a long distance runner and that pop tart may be what helps a certain person adhere to their healthy diet.
    I've seen a lot of articles from people on the Internet who say vegetable oils aren't that healthy. If someone were to dump a good dose of corn oil on top of their salad, then by that reasoning the salad isn't so healthy anymore.

Well, ya know what Abe Lincoln said...

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations"? :wink:

Precisely the quote I was referring to. Lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    This seems a good time post the link to this group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106766-for-the-love-of-pizza
  • ndj1979
    Options

While I wouldn't put it in the worst category, I'd consider dominoes to be more bad than good from an overall nutritional standpoint. The dough has several ingredients added as either preservatives or conditioners that would not be found even in certain authentic pizza places. If you're getting, say, a plain cheese pizza or pepperoni, the pizza is essentially fairly low in micros. So, I'd say the combination of being a low nutrient dense food coupled with extra "stuff" added to it that don't belong in authentic pizza would make it more of a bad food than good.

By contrast, my homemade pizza is made from freshly ground whole grain flour. Additionally, much of the flour sits in a sourdough starter, which makes the micronutrients more absorbable. This means my pizza dough is dramatically higher inn micros than dominoes, and it is essentially a good source of numerous minerals and a few vitamins. Also, there are aren't any dough conditioners and preservatives added to my pizza. All of that put together makes my pizza a good food, IMO.

What if you get all your micros from a different source?

Also, lack of micros does not make something bad, it just makes it less nutritionally dense.

So basically your processing is better than dominos, which makes dominos bad? At the end of the day they are both processed pizza and I fail to see how one is bad and one is good; they are both just pizza.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I hit my calorie , macro, and micro goals and had five Oreos tonight, is that good or bad??????
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    I hit my calorie , macro, and micro goals and had five Oreos tonight, is that good or bad??????

Bad, obviously. They're Oreos. They rank nearly as high as pop tarts on the bad food list. Entirely naughty.
    Just don't feel guilty.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2016
    Options

Also, lack of micros does not make something bad, it just makes it less nutritionally dense.

So basically your processing is better than dominos, which makes dominos bad? At the end of the day they are both processed pizza and I fail to see how one is bad and one is good; they are both just pizza.
    Others may disagree, but I would consider foods that contain several preservatives and extra "stuff" that I wouldn't consider food ingredients to be more unhealthy than a food product not made with the extra ingredients.

Since my pizza has a much higher micro content, I consider it something that I can better use to meet my nutrient needs. Whereas, dominoes is something that you wouldn't typically look for to fulfil any micros (though I realize there are small amounts of a couple), so it's something that becomes part of the small calorie allotment for less nutrient dense foods. I know some here try to follow the 80/20 guide for nutrient dense vs low nutrient dense foods. Instead of making pizza part of the 20, I would put mine in the 80 category (though of course that doesn't mean I should gorge myself on it).

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Others may disagree, but I would consider foods that contain several preservatives and extra "stuff" that I wouldn't consider food ingredients to be more unhealthy than a food product not made with the extra ingredients.

Since my pizza has a much higher micro content, I consider it something that I can better use to meet my nutrient needs. Whereas, dominoes is something that you wouldn't typically look for to fulfil any micros (though I realize there are small amounts of a couple), so it's something that becomes part of the small calorie allotment for less nutrient dense foods. I know some here try to follow the 80/20 guide for nutrient dense vs low nutrient dense foods. Instead of making pizza part of the 20, I would put mine in the 80 category (though of course that doesn't mean I should gorge myself on it).

Way over thinking it. Life is to be enjoyed.
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options
    348s.jpg

Cassano's Pizza King.
    Best pizza in the world.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options

You fail to understand that just because your pizza contains 1000% over the rda of micros it does not make it good or bad, it just makes it pizza. Also, your body can't process additional micros so you get zero benefit from going over in them.

Just because food has preservatives does not make it bad.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    348s.jpg

Cassano's Pizza King.
    Best pizza in the world.

Where's the dang like button when you need it...