What frustrates you in the gym?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate at the gym? 2 things really...

1. I hate to see people doing unsafe lifts either because their form is bad or because they are trying to lift too much for working sets

2. People who are paying WAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO OTHER PEOPLE.

I notice stuff, I might mention extreme examples of #1 to my husband or FL --- but generally speaking IDGAF because I am there to do my lifts to the best of my ability and get out. I am not there to worry if I am bugging anyone else, I am mannerly and don't hog equipment but I am paying to be there. So I am going to do what I need to do, however I need to do it and get out.

The end.

giphy.gif
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't love excessive grunting. If I see you working and stuff, giver, but the loud and seemingly attention drawing grunts irritate me.

Also, when there is limited equipment and they aren't willing to share the only squat rack. If they're doing quick rests, not a big deal but when they wander and do another exercise in between - it's frustrating.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Its funny how many people complain about thr silliest things that throw you off your game and / or you are being judgmental about.

I breathe heavily when i run or cycle, and probably makes some sort of sound. I will sometimes come in after work, wearing makeup. Or will do a 5-10 min warm up walk before I run or cycle. Who knew this would bother people?!

And btw, id pay good money for someone to windmill his ding dong on my leg lol
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

1. I hate to see people doing unsafe lifts either because their form is bad or because they are trying to lift too much for working sets

I notice stuff, I might mention extreme examples of #1 to my husband or FL --- but generally speaking IDGAF because I am there to do my lifts to the best of my ability and get out. I am not there to worry if I am bugging anyone else, I am mannerly and don't hog equipment but I am paying to be there. So I am going to do what I need to do, however I need to do it and get out.

The end.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.. I kind of have a problem with #1 if you're not saying anything.

This is no joke. I see people doing squats with horrible form, deadlifting with rounded backs.. and its seriously dangerous. if you see someone with bad form, tell them, anyone with half a brain will appreciate it

I told a dude last month he was deadlifting with a rounded back and needed to drop his weight and perfect his form, he ignored me, said hed be fine and hes been lifting for a while, and then i didnt see him for a month

saw him earlier this week and he said he messed up his back and couldnt walk for a few weeks and he really regretted not taking my advice

were no experts, but if you see something that looks off, it probably is.
    protect your fellow humans

the end.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would disagree, mind your own business, leave them at it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    I don't love excessive grunting. If I see you working and stuff, giver, but the loud and seemingly attention drawing grunts irritate me.

Also, when there is limited equipment and they aren't willing to share the only squat rack. If they're doing quick rests, not a big deal but when they wander and do another exercise in between - it's frustrating.

This is exactly it. I grunt before I lift to make sure everyone sees the heavy weight I am putting up.

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    brillmer87 wrote: »

The end.

This is no joke. I see people doing squats with horrible form, deadlifting with rounded backs.. and its seriously dangerous. if you see someone with bad form, tell them, anyone with half a brain will appreciate it

I told a dude last month he was deadlifting with a rounded back and needed to drop his weight and perfect his form, he ignored me, said hed be fine and hes been lifting for a while, and then i didnt see him for a month

saw him earlier this week and he said he messed up his back and couldnt walk for a few weeks and he really regretted not taking my advice

the end.

Nope, not my place to educate. I am not a trainer and I do not have any specialized knowledge or know these people's circumstances. If you are dumb enough to try to push/pull heavy weight without doing your due diligence and you injure yourself, absolutely nothing anyone says will change what they are doing. As you learned with your deadlifting friend.

People don't listen and I don't offer advice unless asked, because like I said, I have gym manners.
  • brillmer87
    brillmer87 Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

The end.

the end.

Nope, not my place to educate. I am not a trainer and I do not have any specialized knowledge or know these people's circumstances. If you are dumb enough to try to push/pull heavy weight without doing your due diligence and you injure yourself, absolutely nothing anyone says will change what they are doing. As you learned with your deadlifting friend.

People don't listen and I don't offer advice unless asked, because like I said, I have gym manners.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying... but just watching it and telling your husband or FL and not doing anything doesn't seem like the correct strategy to me.

Tell a trainer at the gym, something.
    How would you feel if you were doing something with the wrong form (it's not like these people are doing it with bad form on purpose).. someone sees and doesn't say anything and you end up hurting yourself!

My 2 cents.

back on topic, i don't like when people throw the weights around or let go of the cables way too high and break the equipment.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thepants1 wrote: »
    No one wants to see you walking around naked. (Well, those that would be in the men's locker room anyway)

I don't get this? When I'm naked in a locker room, it's not about what YOU want to see. If YOU don't want to see my ding-a-ling, don't look. Christ, it's not like it's being wind-milled on your leg or something. It's just a dick...

I'm not putting clothes on wet and I'm not going to try and keep part of my towel covering my junk with one hand to try and dry off with another to keep somebody else from seeing it.

Never understood the "don't walk around naked in the locker room" attitude.. that's what it's for.

best one yet!
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    arrogance
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

The end.

the end.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying... but just watching it and telling your husband or FL and not doing anything doesn't seem like the correct strategy to me.

How would you feel if you were doing something with the wrong form (it's not like these people are doing it with bad form on purpose).. someone sees and doesn't say anything and you end up hurting yourself!

My 2 cents.

back on topic, i don't like when people throw the weights around or let go of the cables way too high and break the equipment.

I don't recall anyone with an injury ever saying "Gee, I wish somebody told me I was doing this wrong."
  • Kay2016Sexy
    Kay2016Sexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The smells for sure.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    jlisa24 wrote: »
    Its funny how many people complain about thr silliest things that throw you off your game and / or you are being judgmental about.

I breathe heavily when i run or cycle, and probably makes some sort of sound. I will sometimes come in after work, wearing makeup. Or will do a 5-10 min warm up walk before I run or cycle. Who knew this would bother people?!

And btw, id pay good money for someone to windmill his ding dong on my leg lol

What kind of money are we talking about exactly?

• Jacwhite22
    Options

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

Bro....Not to be negative...and don't take this the wrong way...but seriously? DYEL?

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

The end.

the end.

My 2 cents.

In many cases, this is the person they learned it from.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    people who wear perfume

and people who talk
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I know it can't be helped but it still bothers me. If I go to the gym around 7-8am on weekends, there's this guy who gets on a treadmill and sweats a ridiculous amount. I mean, there'll be a puddle on the machine, all over the top, beads of sweat flying on the machines next to it. He cleans it all up when he's done, but still it grosses me out so much. I think if I sweat that much, I'd save up my money for however long it took to buy a treadmill for my house.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Nothing frustrates me about going to the gym! Going to the gym is my favorite! But the very best thing about it is that when I show up, mind my own business, wear what makes me comfortable--including makeup, and work my tail off....it really pisses the judgmental whiners off. So much so that they participate in whole threads about it. All. Teh. Fun.