Asking Bridal Party To Lose Weight

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people should lose weight.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'll want my sister to lose weight before my wedding... there's ways and means around everything,
    no need for heart breaking like!
    Why? What a miserable thing to say.

my sister is morbidly obese. I'm not afraid to say it. I don't want her coming to me 5-10 yrs after my wedding and saying "gosh I ****ing hate how fat I am in your wedding pictures"

losing weight has NO negative results. You look better, you feel better, your are healthier, and you don't have to wear a bin bag/car cover for a dress!!!!!!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LOLLLLL! I'd gain weight to get out of being in a wedding. If it were only that simple! lolll
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I think the bride needs to worry more about what it takes to make her marriage work for the long haul, than what her bridal party happens to look like for ONE day.

It seems that brides spend more time on the little details of a day long event, and forget that after the guests are gone, the wine has been drunk and the cash has been counted, they now have a marriage to focus on.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

my sister is morbidly obese. I'm not afraid to say it. I don't want her coming to me 5-10 yrs after my wedding and saying "gosh I ****ing hate how fat I am in your wedding pictures"

Darlin, I do hope you rethink this sentiment. I would bet you that, in 5-10 years after your wedding, your sister won't CARE enough about it be asking to "see your wedding pictures". Hell, I don't even look at MY wedding pictures -- and haven't in years.

People really need to get over themselves. Nobody thinks enough about you to be thinking that often about you.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Lol simple: if you choose your wedding party based on how they fit into the look you want for your photos rather than their love/loyalty/support for you, then you're probably a useless, ornamental, narcissistic piece of crap and your pointless, brief marriage is just a business transaction. So, you might as well have the prettiest people at your party. That's all you've got, after all.
    :throws glitter, curb stomps this thread:
    ETA better name calling because I can't stand this sort of stupidity that makes women look like vapid idiots, and I want to stigmatize the *kitten* out of it.
    Hear, Hear! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Darlin, I do hope you rethink this sentiment. I would bet you that, in 5-10 years after your wedding, your sister won't CARE enough about it be asking to "see your wedding pictures". Hell, I don't even look at MY wedding pictures -- and haven't in years.

People really need to get over themselves. Nobody thinks enough about you to be thinking that often about you.
    True. I can't tell you the last time I looked at a photo of myself from a wedding.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    maybe the bride is worried about her friends being overweight and is doing this as a trick to jumpstart their weight loss?

Nah, I really do not believe she is concerned with their health or them being overweight. Honestly, I am familiar with a couple of these girls and they are thin. They are not 'overweight' by any standards, which is insult to injury, because it doesn't make sense to me that she wants women who are already thin to be THINNER. It's odd, seriously it is! I think she just wants everyone to be a carbon copy of herself on her wedding. Kind of like everyone having the same body types but different faces? Maybe it looks better in the pictures? God only knows!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I guess it's her wedding. It's also her choice whether she wants friends, or photo props. Good luck with whichever she chooses, oh, in say 20 years.

Somebody that shallow won't even be married in 20 years. Keep your good luck wishes for somebody who deserves them.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    No, I am not doing this ( I think its horrible). However, I am recently engaged and have an acquaintance who is as well. We were chatting and she was telling me that she wants people in her bridal party to drop a specific amount of weight for her wedding, or else she is going to reconsider replacing them with a skinnier person.. Has anyone else on this board actually requested this from their wedding party? It seems to be a new 'trend' ... Personally, I think this is over the top and Bridezilla- ish. However, I do understand the whole thing about wanting your wedding day to be perfect. What do you guys think about it?

Wow...that is one Bridzilla *****ella...not too mention shallow and vapid. You should love and respect your friends for who they are, not how they look. I would out right refuse to be in that wedding!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    maybe the bride is worried about her friends being overweight and is doing this as a trick to jumpstart their weight loss?

Nah, I really do not believe she is concerned with their health or them being overweight. Honestly, I am familiar with a couple of these girls and they are thin. They are not 'overweight' by any standards, which is insult to injury, because it doesn't make sense to me that she wants women who are already thin to be THINNER. It's odd, seriously it is! I think she just wants everyone to be a carbon copy of herself on her wedding. Kind of like everyone having the same body types but different faces? Maybe it looks better in the pictures? God only knows!

If so, she could save a lot of hurt feelings by finding a skilled Photoshopper. Then she could truly have perfect wedding photos!
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would totally refuse to have anything to do with it! It use to be an honor to be asked to be in someone's wedding. With the costs involved, then to be expected to be at a certain weight. That's not a friend, and why would you put yourself in that situation.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Wow with friends like that who needs enemy's.
  • mlegrand79
    mlegrand79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Usually when a woman is planning a wedding (and this is not all) certain aspects of her personality emerge that are not normal. I have an A+ personality type. I tend to be obsessive about things and can react very poorly when things don't go my way. But I hate the thought of making people feel bad just because I can get obsessive and sometimes easily angered. Knowing this, I was actually way more docile than people would expect. I let others around me handle the more emotional aspects and kept my calm. There were things said and done that would normally drive me insane, but my best friend and mom kept saying how uncharacteristically calm I was about these things.

We know our friends and what they are capable of, but when planning a wedding, sometimes you are unpleasantly surprised at the extremes that some of these women go through.

I also think that all of these TV shows from Bridezilla to Say Yes to the Dress have sensationalized the behaviors of these brides and their bridal parties and so you will see more extreme changes in personalities. Hope what I said makes sense.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    No way I am reading through all those pages LOL

However - my 'perfect' wedding involved those I loved - thick and thin! How can you say your wedding wont be perfect because your wedding party might be over weight or even just not as thin as you think theyshould be. That's incredibly insulting and anyone who actually threatens to replace their wedding party if they don't lose enough weight? They need to be put on a 10 year time out!
  • Wmy890
    Wmy890 Posts: 12
    Options
    No need for this bride. Not kind. Really good friends would not do this.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she'll make a lovely wife as well... :noway:
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I got married a year ago and the weird things that people recommend or suggest are just crazy. Personally, My wedding would not be perfect if I had to ask my dearest friends to change themselves for me...I would rather it be perfect because of who is there and the love it is celebrating then, have skinny chicks I'm not bffs with just because they can make my day look staged and fake.....
  • lunarpixie
    Options
    That is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.
    Your friend is asking her 'friends' to stand by her, help her make a commitment to a new phase in her life... and she cares about are appearances? Screw that...

Side note~ You'd think she'd want people larger than her surrounding her.. Most bridezillas want to be perfect pretty princesses and the center of attention (forgetting there is a man involved in the process), and bigger people would make her look thinner. Perhaps your friend isn't a bridezilla and she's just a ****.