NO carbs and fat in a diet.

Replies

• Shawnrivas
    Shawnrivas Posts: 7 Member
    My problem is I'm a binge eater and nothing seems to work.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    40 lbs in 2 months!? She didn't eat any food at all.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Shawnrivas wrote: »
    I guess limiting carbs to 0 is great but extreme for most folks. I say keep it simple and burn more than you consume. Keep a 1,000 difference between what you've eaten and what you burn for weight loss and than start messing around with the numbers of carbs, fats, and sodium later.

This is an aggressive calorie cut and not needed for most people. 2lb a week is advised for those with 100~ to lose.

If you are binging raise your calories 500. You will still lose a pound a week, but it may forestall binges as you will be more satisfied.

Cheers, h.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

Opinions-
    Losing 40 lbs in 2 months is not particularly healthy weight loss for most people. That screams very low calorie diet.
    Vegetables and fruits have carbs. Extremely low carb probably means missing a lot of nutrients as well as fiber.
    No fat is not a good idea. Your body needs some fat to function properly.
    None of this sounds healthy.
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. That is all. You don't have to do weird extreme things to lose weight.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    But But I like the carbs and fat. Seriously I m losing plenty of weight and I eat both of them. Food is good.
  • HelenRobertsNZ
    HelenRobertsNZ Posts: 16 Member
    Who would WANT to live that way!?

It would be miserable! I'd devour the contents of the fridge after one day of deprivation and my family would flee in the face of my crankiness. I'll think of her tonight as we tuck into our 500 cal spaghetti and meatballs.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are very few proteins that have no associated carbs or fat, so basically it would be impossible.

I'm thinking that anyone advocating this diet is terribly ignorant about health, diet, and nutrition in general and probably ate far more fat and carbs than she realized.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Sounds horrible - I've lost about 25 lbs and many many inches while eating fat and carbs, and I've kept it off 9and continued to improve strength, endurance, flexibility, and over fitness) for over 3 years. I enjoy pasta, BUTTER, full fat dairy, pizza, burgers & fries, alcohol...

Do it for life, not for some quick fix with unsustainable eating habits and depriving your body if things it needs (yes, our bodies NEED fat and carbs!). Temporary changes get you temporary results.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Low carb I can live with, but low carb AND fat, no way!!
    you'll be hungry and fatigued the whole time :tired_face:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Fat is ESSENTIAL for health. Don't believe people on youtube who do stuff like this and use their anecdotes to support CORRECT way to lose weight. Did she bother saying her hair fell out?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

You'd feel horrible, especially if you were at all active.

I lost 95 lbs doing 40% carbs and 30% fat. I eat even more carbs at maintenance. And I don't think under 20 g of carbs would fuel my level of activity or that 0 g of fat is healthy.

Plus, you'd be overdosing on protein and have a boring, nutrient poor diet, probably.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Shawnrivas wrote: »
    My problem is I'm a binge eater and nothing seems to work.

Then you should probably not be eating 1,000 calories below TDEE.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Two words :

Rabbit starvation

Indeed! - I came to this thread to say exactly that.
    Do look it up - is a really interesting/scary phenomenon - basically a form of malnutrition so severe (and fatal) it's effectively 'starvation', even though you could be consuming sufficient calories via protein.

Fats are essential for life and health.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

I was anorexic eating just noodles everyday.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    - observing -
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

There are diets such as the one you describe. They are supposed to be done for short periods of time, strictly under medical supervision. Check here for example: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/obesity/hic_PSMF_Diet_Program
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    The medical VLCDs usually have about 15 grams of essential fatty acids plus somr carbs - often sugars to bulk up the powder and improve palatability. 30g of carbs and 75g of protein with 11g of n-6 and 3g of n-3 fats is the EU minimum from memory.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member

She's stupid. On many levels. Just for one your body requires some fat to be able to absorb certain vitamins from your food. So failure to eat enough fat will cause your health to suffer from the deficiency in the fat soluble vitamins.
  • gabriellaniglia
    gabriellaniglia Posts: 1 Member

i'm agree with you.......
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Have lost almost 100 pounds eating plenty of carbs and fats. It's weight loss people, not torture LOL