NO carbs and fat in a diet.

Options

Replies

• 365daystofitgirl
    365daystofitgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think this is a delicate matter and should be discussed with a dietician/nutritionist/personal doctor.
    If you want to jump on a diet, jump on the healthy eating wagon coupled up with exercise. There are no miracles in this regard, unfortunately. :/
  • ErinR82
    ErinR82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you eliminate fats and carbs, you are setting yourself up to become ill. There are many uses for all the different nutrients, a couple being that fats are needed to help us absorb certain vitamins that cannot work without them.... and carbs are the main energy source for the brain. Not to mention, an abundance of protein is putting an awful lot of strain on your kidneys! :( If that person did in fact eat this way, then the weight loss is most likely attributed to overall calorie intake, not where the calories are coming from. Even on the lower end of things such as a 1200 calorie diet, a person would need to eat 300 grams of protein to get that in a day!

This is not a healthy option for weight loss. Variety in the diet is essential! I suggest using the food tracker and logging what you eat daily... aim to take in less calories than what you're using. Unless there is a health reason that dictates doing so, it is not necessary to remove a food group or nutrient from your diet to lose weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My post was to illustrate that even the high protein VLCDs include fat and carbs, contrary to the OP. I did not "support" anything.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You need carbs, fat and protein to live. No carbs and no fat may cause damage to the body.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

People on YouTube say a lot of stupid things. She's a liar and that's the only thing you need to know.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Okay guys, so a woman on Youtube said she lose 40 pounds in 2 months..by barely eating carbs (20 or lower) and no fat..and kept it off for the last month. She said carbs and fat is the enemy. And a person can't lose weight if they eat 20g or more of carbs and fat. My question is can you live off of 20g or lower in carbs and fat? I'm just curious. Opinions, please?

People on YouTube say a lot of stupid things. She's a liar and that's the only thing you need to know.

Not to mention that it doesn't sound sustainable at ALL.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    So protein protein protein. Only protein? That's just weird. You do realize that just because something's on YouTube you shouldn't necessarily believe it, right?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Not to mention that it doesn't sound sustainable at ALL.

No, the term "rabit starvation" has been mentioned a few times and is exactly what would happen here.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have to eat more than 20g of carbs. Blood sugar problems. I've lost 28lb.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

This is what I came to say.

Don't take nutrition advice from YouTube videos
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shawnrivas wrote: »
    My problem is I'm a binge eater and nothing seems to work.

How does binge eating work for maintaining the weight you lost? Sooner or later you get to goal; but you still have the binge eating issue.

MODERATE goals, be it carbs, be it weekly weight loss goals........help teach you a different lifestyle. Elimination diets teach nothing.

The 1,000 calorie a day deficit is only healthy when you have a lot of weight to lose. Someone who is 10 pounds from goal can't maintain a 1,000 calorie deficit in a healthy manner.

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I (accidentally) ate too little fat for quite a while at the beginning of dieting. Realized this when I started getting weird flaky ugly skin patches around my eyes and mouth, and my hair started falling out. It wasn't immediate (so for example, the person in the video won't have seen it a month later), but had some lasting effects even a year later (my toenails are all wavy). Fat is important. Eat all the bacon. :)

Cutting carbs and fat are only the key if that's how you get in a caloric deficit. In the case of fat you HAVE to get a certain amount, and in the case of carbs, you need SOME for energy, and why deny yourself? I eat things like bacon donut sandwiches from time to time and lost over 100 lbs in a year, and have maintained that loss for almost 6 months now.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I edit my original poster because I made a mistake with "my" instead of "a" in the subject line. I would post the video but I don't want to do her like that. But yeah..thanks for the feedback. :smile:

I would suggest (and I mean this with your best interest in mind and not from a judgmental place) you entirely disregard that video, and stop listening to whoever presented it.

That advice is not only foolish, it's potentially dangerous.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    She's making a claim that's obviously false since 1000s of people lose weight without taking such drastic dietary measures. Obviously. Given that, why would you trust anything else she says.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Two words :

Rabbit starvation

Beat me to it.
    So I guess I'm left to expound:

OP, your liver can only process so much protein per day, especially initially. Somewhere above 300 grams a day, your body simply doesn't have the capacity to make enzymes fast enough to use protein for energy, and that's for a full grown man.
    This means that long term, you can not live off of as little as 20 grams of carbs and 20 grams of fat.
    Even with 300 grams of protein, you'd be looking at 1480 calories of energy a day, which won't cover the daily energy needs of 75kg man (the size one would need to be to have a liver large enough to use 300 grams of protein a day).
  • senecarr
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

There are diets such as the one you describe. They are supposed to be done for short periods of time, strictly under medical supervision. Check here for example: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/obesity/hic_PSMF_Diet_Program
    yarwell wrote: »
    The medical VLCDs usually have about 15 grams of essential fatty acids plus somr carbs - often sugars to bulk up the powder and improve palatability. 30g of carbs and 75g of protein with 11g of n-6 and 3g of n-3 fats is the EU minimum from memory.
    There are medically supervised protein sparring fasts as a form of VLCD. Even trained physicians suck at doing them though. The initial ones caused horrible malnutrition because the protein came from bad parts of meat such as hooves, and thus the protein coming from it was incomplete, and left people with amino acid deficiencies.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are very few proteins that have no associated carbs or fat, so basically it would be impossible.

THIS

Random people on YouTube are probably not your best source for accurate and reasonable nutrition advice.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Eating like that constipates me almost immediately. Besides, low carb makes me want to eat my face off - so no. Just no.
  • senecarr
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Eating like that constipates me almost immediately. Besides, low carb makes me want to eat my face off - so no. Just no.

Well faces would be fairly low in carbs.