To egg yolk or not to egg yolk?

Options

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do have cholesterol levels that have to be watched. That being said, in structuring my eating habits now (and moving forward), I will not give up the food I enjoy (i.e. will substitute skinless chicken breast for skin on thighs or filet for rib steak). I will eat them in moderation though...

For eggs, if I am having an egg on a plate, it is a whole egg. If I am having a fried egg sandwhich that has cheese, then it is egg white only (I have cartons in the fridge).

As an aside, we tend to eat either free range eggs (including whites).
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'll only ditch the yolk if I'm trying to balance out macros: sometimes i'll have too much fat but not enough protein, or I'm planning for an indulgent meal later in the day. But the yolk is good for you, too; among many other nutrients the vitamin E is good for your hair and skin.
    I cook up the yolks for my dogs so as not to waste them. I know of some people who use yolks as a hair conditioner.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only advantage of going with whites only is to save on calories. When I'm cutting- I tend to do 4-5 whites and 2-3 full eggs with yolks because I honestly can't deal with whites only- they are gross IMHO. I prefer the full egg- but sometimes- honestly- eating 8 full eggs doesn't fit into my day- so concessions must be made.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a whole egg eater. I have 2 every morning and 1 white because my 10 month old son eats the 3rd yolk. He's not a big whites fan yet. Also I may add some extra whites to my morning eggs or find a recipe that calls for whites when I need to make mayo which uses my yolks.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I skip egg yolks when I'm making waffles. They *cannot* be skipped when you're making other things, like (for example), cookies or muffins. I only skip them as it's an easy way to limit the calories in favorite foods. I did, as an aside, try to make some egg white omelets when I was really actively losing, but they just don't taste the same.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a macros kinda gal, so if it fits (and it normally does) it's going down! Literally! LMBO!!!!
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I never eat the yolks. I just eat the whites as they are lower calorie. But if the calories aren't a concern, yolk away :-)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care how many people tell me that I should only eat the white, I'm eating the whole dang thing. The yolk is the best part (flavor-wise at least) in my opinion. I'm not depriving myself of the good stuff. It's only a few more calories and tons of protein anyway.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Eh, if you don't have reason to watch your cholesterol, giver - in moderation of course lol.
    I tend to do 2 egg whites and one whole eggs for my scrambled.
    Exactly what I do! Take note its the yolk that has most the vitamins like iron but they most have protein

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Eh, if you don't have reason to watch your cholesterol, giver - in moderation of course lol.
    I tend to do 2 egg whites and one whole eggs for my scrambled.
    Exactly what I do! Take note its the yolk that has most the vitamins like iron but they both have protein

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    you guys... the egg industry, its so so cruel... why would anyone wanna support cruelty to animals? i dont get it...

soapbox-demotivational-poster-1223252240-gif.jpg
  • yosefyadin
    yosefyadin Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i eat 6 egg whites n two yolks...
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Read 'It Starts With Food'.

Then nom those eggs whole and be healthy.
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Set up a macro target. That will help you decide what is best for you.

Remember that some vitamins are fat soluble and if you do not eat the yolk (or full fat milk etc) then you are losing out of those nutrients. So make sure you get a fat on your plate that has the nutrition you need.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can eat one whole egg a day safely
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    dashley28 wrote: »
    I know that having just the whites are basically better and that the yolks are full of fat.
    How are the whites better?
    What is wrong with fat?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Yolk it up. I wish I could buy eggs that are purely yolks. Yummmmmm.

Like the one on the left?
    tpuovuj6shv0.jpg

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You'd better run, egg!

5K1KYlS.gif